Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-31-2012   #61
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: REPORT: Death at Reliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well, they can through public intoxication laws. But obviously the last thing the Texans want to do is piss off a customer base and potentially hurt a major revenue stream in alcohol sales.

They could make the entire facility a dry zone for all I care, but full discloser, I no longer drink booze.
I also do not drink alcohol myself. Not against it. Just not a fan of the taste nor the buzz. I entertain myself in other ways that works for me. That being said, I wouldn't be for an alcohol ban. I would definitely support reasonable public intoxication enforcement.
Old 08-31-2012   #62
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened sucks, but you can't save people from their own stupidity. The only thing they might have been able to do was put a plexiglass wall along the side to make it harder to go over.

But then again, what the difference between what happened and someone climbing on the walls of the ramps and falling from there?
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #63
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah let's bubble wrap the planet to protect the idiots from themselves.

Also what you call callousness I call reality and this doesn't have anything to do with some negative reflection on the human race. In my line of work I have to deal with cases like this all the time, sorry if I'm not sensitive enough.

I feel bad for his family and that will be a horrible funeral.. a completely unneccesary funeral. It can't be easy to bury a son, because he was a idiot who tried to ride down a escalator rail. Again feel sorry for the family, but this guy did something incredibly stupid.. A thing that parents should tell their kids about so hopefully nobody repeats his lapse in judgement.
I'm with you on the bubble wrapping for the most part but I am factoring in legal ramifications in the form of lawsuits.

Fair enough. I wasn't asking you to be more sensitive. Let me try to clarifiy... I'm just noticing that the attitudes in the thread are increasingly jaded when it comes to their fellow human these days. I, myself, am not there yet. Call me naive if you like but I do still try to be wary, considerate, and kind of others and their downfalls. He made a bad decision or had a freak accident and it cost him his life. How can put his loss of life to use? By learning from his mistakes and bettering things so they don't happen again. Yeah, real simple thinking by me but it is what I am.
Old 08-31-2012   #64
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I think what you're asking is unproductive. Most of the drunkness that I see comes from the tailgates. Nobody (as well as I) wants that taken away. You can't regulate what someone drinks before they come in the stadium and by then the alcohol has taken full effect.
OK.....so let me get this right. You thing it's unproductive to regulate alchohol at tailgating or in the stadium, but it's OK to blame the existing safety code guidelines for escalators. Gotcha.

You can't save people from themselves man.

If I decide to douse myself with gasoline and set myself on fire, are you going to blame the petrol companies for making that $hit flamable? I mean really....it's basically the same thing.

People know what they should and shouldn't do. You talk about how fast you like to drive your motorcycle. If you're doing 200mph (I don't know the fastest you go) and you wreck your damn bike....chances are pretty good you're not walking away from that. Is it the motorcycle companies fault you went that fast or is it yours?
Old 08-31-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Authorities have identified a 25-year-old Houston man who fell to his death while horsing around on an escalator at Reliant Stadium while attending the Texans preseason finale Thursday.

The man allegedly was trying to slide down the outside of the handrail on the escalator at the Coca-Cola Gate near the northeast side of the stadium at about 8:10 p.m. when he fell three stories, landing on the pavement. He was identified as Jonathan Kelly by the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.

Police could not confirm the man was horse-playing before he fell, said Jodi Silva, a spokesman with the Houston Police Department. Silva said HPD is investigating the case and it is being looked at as an accidental death.

Kelly was attending the game with some friends, said a co-worker who was not at the event and asked that his name not be published.

Full article: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...-s-3829474.php
Old 08-31-2012   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
What happened sucks, but you can't save people from their own stupidity. The only thing they might have been able to do was put a plexiglass wall along the side to make it harder to go over.

But then again, what the difference between what happened and someone climbing on the walls of the ramps and falling from there?
I was at a Ron White show at Verizon theater with my dad a few years ago and a lady interrupted one of his jokes by falling over the rail of the second level.

Of course, Ron had to stop his set and the entire audience waited for the ambulance crew to arrive and carry her off. She was trashed when she fell, and Ron White showed no mercy about it after she was gone. His jokes were brutal, but funny as anything.

Like John Wayne said: "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
Old 08-31-2012   #67
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I read the article and just realized this. They have security personnel at entrances and exits to the elevators as well as at all gates. This could pose a huge problem for the company in charge of security for the stadium because it is my belief they are on post at the areas to insure that guests exit safely and to stop any behavior that could be deemed unsafe.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #68
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was at a Ron White show at Verizon theater with my dad a few years ago and a lady interrupted one of his jokes by falling over the rail of the second level.

Of course, Ron had to stop his set and the entire audience waited for the ambulance crew to arrive and carry her off. She was trashed when she fell, and Ron White showed no mercy about it after she was gone. His jokes were brutal, but funny as anything.

Like John Wayne said: "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
I was there that night. I initially thought it was one of the huge lights falling out of the ceiling. Fortunately she survived and appeared to be ok although she was taken to the hospital.
Old 08-31-2012   #69
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I read the article and just realized this. They have security personnel at entrances and exits to the elevators as well as at all gates. This could pose a huge problem for the company in charge of security for the stadium because it is my belief they are on post at the areas to insure that guests exit safely and to stop any behavior that could be deemed unsafe.
How are you going to stop someone from climbing over and falling off a crowded elevator once they have started down (or up)?
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #70
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How are you going to stop someone from climbing over and falling off a crowded elevator once they have started down (or up)?
Lasso?
Old 08-31-2012   #71
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
OK.....so let me get this right. You thing it's unproductive to regulate alchohol at tailgating or in the stadium, but it's OK to blame the existing safety code guidelines for escalators. Gotcha.

If I decide to douse myself with gasoline and set myself on fire, are you going to blame the petrol companies for making that $hit flamable? I mean really....it's basically the same thing.

People know what they should and shouldn't do. You talk about how fast you like to drive your motorcycle. If you're doing 200mph (I don't know the fastest you go) and you wreck your damn bike....chances are pretty good you're not walking away from that. Is it the motorcycle companies fault you went that fast or is it yours?
^^^^
This

I hope they dont change the rules because of one idiot.

The Texans have never done anything like this before?

Oh wait...... maybe they have a slight tendency to overeact to problems. LOL

Condolences go out to his family RIP.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #72
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post

I have no idea what you are saying really. I disagree with NOTHING that you have said here. If I can prevent an accident then I will do everything in my power to prevent said accident. I just don't understand why that ticks you off. Safety barriers isn't asking for much nor is it meant to save everybody. For the greater good... would that be a fair statement?

And as for your unproductive comment. You completely misunderstood. You have it backwards. I was referring to Porky's suggestion on limiting the number of booze you can buy inside. I think enforcement there would be more unproductive than other methods such as more public intoxication enforcement or whatnot.
Old 08-31-2012   #73
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Security does not ride the esculator with you. There are always 2-3 at the entrance to the one by Bud Plaza, & 2 at the top, but, they don't get on the escualtor at all. Nor do they have security that follows fans up the ramps, that I know of anyway.

Just like all tragic ACCIDENTS that's exactly what it was, an accident, but, an accident that could have been prevented. Where was this man's friends? I'm sure they are all second guessing their own actions today, but, I can guarantee you I would have knocked the crap out of one of my kids/grandkids or friends, before I'd let them do something so dumb. My grandson got stup*d drunk at a game a couple years ago and he spent two hours in the clinic with his Maw-Maw inflicting all kind of PAIN on his drunk body! He was escorted out of the stadium by the cops and I had my Blue Crew pals haul his a*s the rest of the way to the car. If you truly care about your friends, you protect them, even if they get ticked off. I feel very bad for this man's friends today because this is something they could have prevented, and they know it. VERY sad for all involved!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #74
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Quote:
If he had already started down and jumped on the rail, very little. However, if he was on top of the ramp and security had left post, it could be a big problem. The situation mentioned that happened at Verizon Theater, very little could be done because the woman had left her seat and went to the rail. Another difference that the woman fell to the first floor and crashed on to another guest which could have happened at Reliant and thank goodness it didn't.

I'm not minimizing the bad decision the fan made, but companies such as Reliant spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to security service companies to ensure the safety and wellbeing of those they serve. Let's hope it was an accident that could not have been prevented with the staff on hand.
Old 08-31-2012   #75
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
plexiglass would do it I'd guess. I've used those elevators dozens of times and I think if they just screwed some tall plexiglass panels up on the edge that probably does the trick.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #76
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was there that night. I initially thought it was one of the huge lights falling out of the ceiling. Fortunately she survived and appeared to be ok although she was taken to the hospital.
I figured someone here would have been at that show.

Sad part is that he was right in the middle of a very funny routine when she fell. He never finished that story.
Old 08-31-2012   #77
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Quote:
I figured someone here would have been at that show.

Sad part is that he was right in the middle of a very funny routine when she fell. He never finished that story.
I thought it gave him some additional material for future shows. I think he was still sober when that incident happened. I didn't see him the last time he was here and wondered if he mentioned that previous show.
Old 08-31-2012   #78
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
I thought it gave him some additional material for future shows. I think he was still sober when that incident happened. I didn't see him the last time he was here and wondered if he mentioned that previous show.
I thought about that, as well, because you know it's a show that he'll never forget.

He did extend his set a little longer that night. Dude was one of the funniest comics I've ever seen.

[/thread hijack]
Old 08-31-2012   #79
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 135090 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Police could not confirm the man was horse-playing before he fell, said Jodi Silva, a spokesman with the Houston Police Department. Silva said HPD is investigating the case and it is being looked at as an accidental death.
They also can't confirm he was teleported over the side or pushed by a midget. Jesuchristo, they weren't there!

Quote:
The security is there to prevent pileups and people getting trampled to death, that's about it. Unless they're riding side-by-side with you on it, they can't prevent much.
Old 08-31-2012   #80
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
BUT, to honor a drunk who made a childish decision is insane!
I'm a drunk child!

BTW, I like how a couple of people *ahem* feared it was me.

To be quite honest, I'm not fond of heights (and yes I have jumped out of perfectly good airplanes).

On the few occasions where I've used the escalator, I don't really look down (unless it's at the tread beneath me that I'm standing on). I usually walk the ramps 80% of the time on the way in and take the stairs down on the way out.

As an aside, I didnt even make it to the 103rd home game. My first missed home game ever.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read