Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2012   #61
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub labeled "middle of the pack" (16-20 range)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I'd say Schaub aside these are ignorant statements. What is one of the most common criticisms of QB's? - he hold's the ball too long. That's because the OL can't protect forever and plays aren't designed for them to do so so QB's become less effective as more time passes. Conversely one of Peyton's most complimented traits is getting the ball out fast. When was the last time you heard a commentator talk about how long a QB held onto the ball for so long in the pocket and it wasn't a compliment to the OL rather than the QB?
Rothlesburger running for his life behind that horrible OL ?? Other than that , I got nuttin.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I'd say Schaub aside these are ignorant statements. What is one of the most common criticisms of QB's? - he hold's the ball too long. That's because the OL can't protect forever and plays aren't designed for them to do so so QB's become less effective as more time passes. Conversely one of Peyton's most complimented traits is getting the ball out fast. When was the last time you heard a commentator talk about how long a QB held onto the ball for so long in the pocket and it wasn't a compliment to the OL rather than the QB?

I'm going to preface this by saying Schaub has looked better this preseason than I've ever seen him, 7 years in this system might be magic........ that said,

Protection is going to break down. No matter how good the OL is, the DLs are usually made of some pretty good guys too. What the guy is saying, is if the DL is successful, or if the secondary is successful, if Schaub is your QB, the play is over. Where a Romo, Rogers, Rothlisberger, or even a Tom Brady could make something out of nothing more times than not.

Peyton was limited in that respect as well. But where he excelled, was that he was so far ahead of most defenses, he was nigh unstoppable at times.... a lot of times.... damn near all the time. Schaub doesn't have that either, so he's

limited. If the play doesn't unfold exactly the way Schaub/Kubiak envisioned it, chances are less likely that we will be successful (other than the fact that our big 3; Aj, Arian, & OD can get yac in a hurry) than if we had a QB without Schaub's limitations.
Old 08-31-2012   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Rothlesburger running for his life behind that horrible OL ?? Other than that , I got nuttin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
[size="1"]Protection is going to break down. No matter how good the OL is,
That is why I used the same language as the author who specified in the pocket. Sure there are guys who can buy time with their feet much better than Schaub once the pocket breaks down. You get 4 sec. with a clean pocket in the NFL and the commentators are going wow look at the time the OL is giving him not damn that QB sure can hang in there in a clean pocket.
Old 08-31-2012   #64
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub bounces back far better than Romo.

What makes Schaub fantastic is his crazy ability with the play action roll out. Nobody does the fake better and that's got nothing to do with the system. When he buys time, he buys it in truckloads. Those of you who sit close to the field really need to look at Schaub's face and general body language. He droops you cold. That's his game.
Old 08-31-2012   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is why I used the same language as the author who specified in the pocket. Sure there are guys who can buy time with their feet much better than Schaub once the pocket breaks down. You get 4 sec. with a clean pocket in the NFL and the commentators are going wow look at the time the OL is giving him not damn that QB sure can hang in there in a clean pocket.
Cant dispute the facts.

Something I noticed during the Aints game was how well their OL funneled defenders backside of the play , always allows for Brees to step up in the pocket or squirt away.

They were able to keep Brees clean against the Texans #1's .... even with a vanilla scheme , thats a tall order.

The Texans schemes on those longer developing plays protect both the QB and the OL from that by the use of such heavy play action. This scheme may make the OL look better in pass protection than they really are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Schaub bounces back far better than Romo.

What makes Schaub fantastic is his crazy ability with the play action roll out. Nobody does the fake better and that's got nothing to do with the system. When he buys time, he buys it in truckloads. Those of you who sit close to the field really need to look at Schaub's face and general body language. He droops you cold. That's his game.
Some of us have been talking about Schaubs play action and Gary's play design ..... for a long while. (Me & Cak)

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #66
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cant dispute the facts.

Something I noticed during the Aints game was how well their OL funneled defenders backside of the play , always allows for Brees to step up in the pocket or squirt away.

They were able to keep Brees clean against the Texans #1's .... even with a vanilla scheme , thats a tall order.

The Texans schemes on those longer developing plays protect both the QB and the OL from that by the use of such heavy play action. This scheme may make the OL look better in pass protection than they really are.

Some of us have been talking about Schaubs play action and Gary's play design ..... for a long while. (Me & Cak)
I'm aware that you and infantry have been advocates of Schaub as well as I have been too. I still want you guys to watch his face and body language. I will probably sound like I have a tinfoil hat on but... I swear... Schaub times his fake down to the second the defender has his step coming up from the ground. What this means is that Schaub's already going the other way while the defender is trying to put the brakes on. When you see it happen time again and again... it's like... WOW! That's uncanny timing talent right there.
Old 08-31-2012   #67
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

To me this is one of those type of articles where if Schaub didn't get hurt last year we wouldn't be talking about it because he'd be ranked way higher. When Schaub plays a whole season, pundits talk about him being very close to elite. When he gets injured pundits talk about him being middle of the road. Schaub has his flaws and his strengths, but I think he fits what the Texans need from the QB very well.
Old 08-31-2012   #68
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81178 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Man , I know Romo is the better athlete .... just better physically , much better arm and mobility.

But I dont know if you can take the "risk taker" out of him ..... and this offense is all about removing risk and maximizing return. (this may be a factor in their redzone struggles).

Tough call ..... but it isnt a silly thought process by any stretch of the imagination. It could be the perfect marriage .... would be interesting to see.
Romo to AJ would be a thing of beauty.

Romo, basically being a Favre clone, would fit in most systems. You will never remove the risk taking though. He's gonna throw a boneheaded pick or two. He might also pull a 50-yard gain out of his ass when the play totally breaks down.

I'm not sure how Kubes would deal with a QB like Romo though, who goes outside the gameplan on occasion. He did try Rex "**** it I'm going deep!" Grossman. So did Shanny.

If I'm playing with a lead, I want Schaub.
If I'm down two scores in the 4th, I'll take Romo.

Ideally you would want their bastard love child: Eli Manning
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #69
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

I'm going to preface this by saying Schaub has looked better this preseason than I've ever seen him, 7 years in this system might be magic........ that said,
I've got to agree. Matt has looked really sharp after "shaking the rust off" during the first week or so of camp. He seems to be quicker and more decisive making his reads and getting the ball out and on target. Also haven't seen any negative affects of his Lisfrank injury that we were all concerned about. I don't see him favoring his plant foot at all. Now if the receivers will catch the damn ball, and I think they will I think the prize is well within reason.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read