Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2012   #161
kingh99

Default Re: Holliday's chances at making the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post
That's all jacoby was good for so I'd call him a one trick pony with small hands
Small hands, big....heart? Holliday is a legit weapon. He won't make his living in tight spaces however. He needs room to run.
Old 08-26-2012   #162
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42267 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Early on in camp I wanted to see Holliday make the team, but now not so much. The more I think of it, the more injuries I see on defense, the more I realize how easy it is to neutralize a return the less I see this being a smart move.

Honestly, if opponents (with decent kickers) think this guy is a legit weapon, they'll just kick it out of the back of the endzone. On punts, they'll just boot it out of bounds.

Returners are the one weapon that, with the new rules, can simply be rendered pointless. Holliday just doesn't bring enough other capabilities to the table. And last nights fumble was so reminiscent of Jacoby that I want no part of it..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #163
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Early on in camp I wanted to see Holliday make the team, but now not so much. The more I think of it, the more injuries I see on defense, the more I realize how easy it is to neutralize a return the less I see this being a smart move.

Honestly, if opponents (with decent kickers) think this guy is a legit weapon, they'll just kick it out of the back of the endzone. On punts, they'll just boot it out of bounds.

Returners are the one weapon that, with the new rules, can simply be rendered pointless. Holliday just doesn't bring enough other capabilities to the table. And last nights fumble was so reminiscent of Jacoby that I want no part of it..

TJ
If teams are doing that then he is a legit weapon. There aren't a lot of good directional punters anymore.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #164
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
If teams are doing that then he is a legit weapon. There aren't a lot of good directional punters anymore.
It isn't just that. It seems like most of the time the refs spot the ball well forward of where it went out of bounds.
Old 08-26-2012   #165
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I did not notice this, but I've heard that he's contributing in ST coverage... or am I making things up?

If that's the case, then he sees the field even more.
Old 08-26-2012   #166
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I did not notice this, but I've heard that he's contributing in ST coverage... or am I making things up?

He was used in a bit of a gunner role against SF a few times.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #167
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post

I think he was the gunner on punt coverage last night. I don't remember if he was on kickoff coverage too.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #168
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Roger. Well if he sees gunner duty too, that's a few more snaps on the field a game.
Old 08-27-2012   #169
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Take Martin's fumble - the defender put his hat on the ball ... Gotta tip your hat to the guy for making a play.
Link - Warning its the Crapical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
“I just got to learn from it, get better and protect the ball better,” Martin said. “The first one I can’t have the ball swinging out, so I put that one on myself. The second one I feel like it was just a good hit. He put his helmet right on the ball and it popped out.”

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #170
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys get hard hits on the ball all the time in the league. I understand it was a good hit, but I guarantee you Kubiak doesn't accept that as an excuse for him fumbling. And I just found the quote right after I typed that.

Quote:
Kubiak on Martin: “There’s no excuse for those fumbles. We don’t accept that. He’s going to play a lot. We like him and we’re going to trust him. So he can’t turn it over.”
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #171
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But lead CBS TV analyst Phil Simms thinks the short speedster should be a lock. Simms came away from calling the Texans preseason game with the New Orleans Saints more than impressed with the 5-foot-5 Holliday, even on a night when Holliday fumbled one return away, gift wrapping a Saints touchdown, and botched another.

Simms — as obsessive a watcher of tape as any NFL analyst, including the overhyped Jon Gruden — has seen more than enough from Holliday this preseason to realize that the former LSU player is the type of difference maker few teams in the league have.

"If the Texans don't think he is (worthy of a roster spot), he will be picked up as soon as he hits that waiver wire," Simms said during an appearance on 610 AM.
Sims seems to share my thoughts that he'd be picked up as soon as he was let go, and I think the Titans would be the most eager of the teams to bring him in. Holliday has already proven that he can make big plays in the return game. The only way he does not make the team now is if he completely makes a fool out of himself fielding punts and kicks today. Ball security should be his focus tonight. (Well tonight and every game after as well!)

Phil Simms thinks Kubiak would be insane to cut Trindon Holliday: Expects returner to win games
Old 08-30-2012   #172
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Hilliday will be returning kickoffs and punts in the NFL this season. Whether it be for the Texans or not.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #173
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Hilliday will be returning kickoffs and punts in the NFL this season. Whether it be for the Texans or not.
He has definitely earned some money this preseason.
Old 08-30-2012   #174
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
He has definitely earned some money this preseason.
Plus he is playing for a new contract.
Old 08-30-2012   #175
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Holiday is playing for his life.

One more year and I believe he qualifies for NFL pension plan and health insurance. That's pretty big.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #176
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Unless he does something stupid tonight .... He'll make this roster.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #177
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
He looked lost his first year here. There was nothing that justified him making the team two years ago or last year. This year is a different story.
Say what you will....I had him pegged as a Pro Bowl returner the first return he made. You can fix the ball handling and the nervousness. You can't fix world class speed. Again, we are just extremely lucky that such a phenomenal talent kept falling right back into our laps.
Old 08-30-2012   #178
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

1000%.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #179
pissknocker
Veteran

Rep Power: 969 pissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Say what you will....I had him pegged as a Pro Bowl returner the first return he made. You can fix the ball handling and the nervousness. You can't fix world class speed. Again, we are just extremely lucky that such a phenomenal talent kept falling right back into our laps.
Wait I know we PUPed him after his hand issue. Was he ever cut? Was there ever a possibility another team could have claimed him? Just curious.
pissknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #180
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissknocker View Post
Wait I know we PUPed him after his hand issue. Was he ever cut? Was there ever a possibility another team could have claimed him? Just curious.
Yeah. We cut him a few times last year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read