Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 08-29-2012   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BADBOY's 2013 update

Cant do a full mock but I hope the 1st 3 rds go something like this

Matthews
Dobson
Mettenberger
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Cant do a full mock but I hope the 1st 3 rds go something like this

Matthews
Dobson
Mettenberger
SB, you've got to do better than that. It's to early in the season to know who you mean by only a last name. Positions?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #23
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
SB, you've got to do better than that. It's to early in the season to know who you mean by only a last name. Positions?
I assume Matthews is the OT from Texas A&M, and Mettenberger is the QB from LSU. I am not sue, but the only Dobson that I can think of is the receiver from Marshall.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I assume Matthews is the OT from Texas A&M, and Mettenberger is the QB from LSU. I am not sue, but the only Dobson that I can think of is the receiver from Marshall.
You are correct.

I will try to do better next time. It was late and my brain wasn't functioning properly.
Old 08-30-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are correct.

I will try to do better next time. It was late and my brain wasn't functioning properly.
In my world it is always late & my brain isn't functioning properly.
Old 08-30-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

For those that review or create mocks here is the ESPN college football schedule:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tball-schedule
Old 08-30-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I thought you were a follower of BPA? Do you think a QB, NT, WR or OLB will be drafted first? If Schaub goes and Yates isn't ready a first will not do us much good. Jean and Martin look good and AJ will be around for another year or two so a later pick (like mine) makes sense. If Barwin leaves in FA as I predicted some time ago, the yeah another OLB could follow Mercilus. I know you like Jackson but he'd better make a big time leap in progress if we hope to be perennial playoff contenders. 2013 draft should allows us to go BPA for at least some of our picks. Yeah you can pencil Quin in for a new contract but he may choose money elsewhere. Especially so if he continues to play lights out as he has in preseason.

I am very okay with a OG or RT in first but the guys I like I expect to be gone. Butler or Newton needs to take the title and run with it.
To me, it's seems like the Texans mostly went BPA at a certain position(s) of need.

I don't follow the draft in 07, but from 08 going forward, it certainly looked that way.
Between the draft and free agency, they always attempted to address positions of needs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your right the Texans never cared about the safety position, until Wade Phillips got here. When we finally got someone truly qualified to be a Defensive Coordinator instead of hiring Kubiak's unqualified friends we got 2 new Safeties. Manning and Quin have brought alot to our secondary. Not even Darrell Revis can cover a WR by himself for more than about 4-5 seconds at most. Quality Safety help is needed by even the best CB's. Now I do agree with your general idea that a Safety is not a high need in 2013. I think we re-sign Quin and if not then I wouldn't mind giving Demps a year to prove what he capable of, he's looked pretty damn good last year and this preseason.
If Quin walks in free agency, I expect them to put Demps in his position and spend a later pick on a safety for depth. I just don't think the position is worth a 1-3 round draft pick. Although, we should have 11 picks next year, so maybe they do spend a compensatory pick on it. We shall see.
Old 08-30-2012   #29
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
If Quin walks in free agency, I expect them to put Demps in his position and spend a later pick on a safety for depth. I just don't think the position is worth a 1-3 round draft pick. Although, we should have 11 picks next year, so maybe they do spend a compensatory pick on it. We shall see.
Jmo, but I think Nolan would get first crack at that spot.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012   #30
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm hoping we re-sign Quin if there's enough money left over in the budget because I really don't want to spend a 1-3 round pick on a Safety, I think we've got higher priorities. I don't think Quin will be terribly expensive, he's slightly above average and not a real playmaker but he may chase the money elsewhere. I can't really blame him. I agree with you on letting Demps have a year to prove himself and drafting a depth player. Where are you getting 11 picks next year? I'm thinking we get 2 comp. picks, one in the 3rd and one in the 5th at most. That's 9 picks.
Old 08-31-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
To me, it's seems like the Texans mostly went BPA at a certain position(s) of need.

I don't follow the draft in 07, but from 08 going forward, it certainly looked that way.
Between the draft and free agency, they always attempted to address positions of needs.
That certainly was not true in last draft selecting OLB Whitney.
Old 08-31-2012   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Jmo, but I think Nolan would get first crack at that spot.
Not if Nolan takes the angles to the ball and allows TD's like the one before halftime last night.
Old 08-31-2012   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That certainly was not true in last draft selecting OLB Whitney.
There's always a need for the third pass rusher.

Remember how Wade always said that we were fortunate that Barwin and Reed played that many snaps (especially Barwin).

Also, you might want to plan ahead.
We drafted Reed in case MW walks.
We drafted Mercilus in case Barwin walks.
Old 08-31-2012   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not if Nolan takes the angles to the ball and allows TD's like the one before halftime last night.
Same thing with Quin losing Graham early in the Saints game to put D.Mann in a precarious position, LOL!
Old 08-31-2012   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm hoping we re-sign Quin if there's enough money left over in the budget because I really don't want to spend a 1-3 round pick on a Safety, I think we've got higher priorities. I don't think Quin will be terribly expensive, he's slightly above average and not a real playmaker but he may chase the money elsewhere. I can't really blame him. I agree with you on letting Demps have a year to prove himself and drafting a depth player. Where are you getting 11 picks next year? I'm thinking we get 2 comp. picks, one in the 3rd and one in the 5th at most. That's 9 picks.
What do you guys think is a fair number for Quin's next contract?
Old 08-31-2012   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Well position of safety was worth millions to Manning.
Old 08-31-2012   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
There's always a need for the third pass rusher.

Remember how Wade always said that we were fortunate that Barwin and Reed played that many snaps (especially Barwin).

Also, you might want to plan ahead.
We drafted Reed in case MW walks.
We drafted Mercilus in case Barwin walks.
Not arguing any of that and I am a fan but he was not a best player available at a need position. I think most now would agree that Zeitler pick #3 would have been BPA.

I also thought my guy Coby Fleener could play at WR2.

Don't forget in my original 2013 mock I called for Barwin to flee in free agency so I am liking the pick now. Still would take either of those over Merci.
Old 08-31-2012   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
What do you guys think is a fair number for Quin's next contract?
interesting question. His base was $1.3 this season and he should expect to double that although Manning's first season was $2.5m. You could argue he is not that good but someone will offer him that (at least) and at 26 he is wanting to get his deal. I think he looks at over all package and upfront/guaranteed money for his destination.
Old 09-01-2012   #39
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
interesting question. His base was $1.3 this season and he should expect to double that although Manning's first season was $2.5m. You could argue he is not that good but someone will offer him that (at least) and at 26 he is wanting to get his deal. I think he looks at over all package and upfront/guaranteed money for his destination.
Your right Quin's not as good as Manning and just doesn't strike me as a playmaker but his coverage skills for a Safety are pretty good. I'm guessing we offer him in the 2-2.5 mil. range. I would expect him to chase the money though if someone makes a better offer which is highly possible. I wouldn't blame him either, he's not a superstar and he's got to make what he can when he can. If we lose Quin to FA should we offer the starting spot to Demps and see what he's got full time for a year or go with a draft pick? Also other than Lester, who's a good coverage Safety in the mid rounds. I don't want a Pollard type Safety, we need someone that can cover, or is their a mid round CB with coverage skills that yall feel can be converted to Safety?
Old 09-01-2012   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your right Quin's not as good as Manning and just doesn't strike me as a playmaker but his coverage skills for a Safety are pretty good. I'm guessing we offer him in the 2-2.5 mil. range. I would expect him to chase the money though if someone makes a better offer which is highly possible. I wouldn't blame him either, he's not a superstar and he's got to make what he can when he can. If we lose Quin to FA should we offer the starting spot to Demps and see what he's got full time for a year or go with a draft pick? Also other than Lester, who's a good coverage Safety in the mid rounds. I don't want a Pollard type Safety, we need someone that can cover, or is their a mid round CB with coverage skills that yall feel can be converted to Safety?
Quin is probably going to walk after this yr. I wouldn't blame him.

Vicarro (sp?) from Texas would be a good 2-3rd rd pick. Eric Reid, Ray Ray Armstrong and Baccari Rambo are guys with different kinds of issues but all are very talented and could step in and play right away.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read