Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Donnie Jones

All the talk on special teams has been about holliday but is it just me that thinks Donnie Jones end up winning a game or two for us this season. Nobody seems to be able to catch his punts! Whatever kind of knuckleball hes able to get off it, its caused returners to totally misjudge his kicks and just by pure luck not fumble them for 2 weeks running now.

dont ever remember having a punter (even a healthy hartmann last yr) that could do that before. i think hes def a keeper and the hitman is going to have to find employment elsewhere when he comes back
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #2
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Default Re: Donnie Jones

I respectfully disagree. I think Donnie Jones is just a temporary fill in for the Hitman. I don't even see him on our team after Hartmann gets back.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
All the talk on special teams has been about holliday but is it just me that thinks Donnie Jones end up winning a game or two for us this season. Nobody seems to be able to catch his punts! Whatever kind of knuckleball hes able to get off it, its caused returners to totally misjudge his kicks and just by pure luck not fumble them for 2 weeks running now.
So Jones is trying to knuckleball these punts? I thought he was just missing them? I'd still like to see more hangtime. Someone does catch his line drives, they might take it to the house.
Old 08-19-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
So Jones is trying to knuckleball these punts? I thought he was just missing them? I'd still like to see more hangtime. Someone does catch his line drives, they might take it to the house.
Yeah, I'm not too impressed by Jones.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I read or heard something about jones intentionally kicking that way.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #6
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones is gone when Hartmann gets back.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
they're far from line drives. They have nice hangtime generally but whatever way hes kicking it, its moving on the way down so that it gives PR'ers real trouble judging the catch. just something ive noticed last 2 games.

i think alot of ppl are underrating him and overrating hartmann. jones has had a stellar career with 1 bad yr for some reason. still has a career 41 yd net- last yr hartmanns was 38 (which is more or less the same as jones' bad yr)... plus knee surgery etc for hartmann. think jones has a much better chance of being kept around than ppl assume
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2012   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
they're far from line drives. They have nice hangtime generally but whatever way hes kicking it, its moving on the way down so that it gives PR'ers real trouble judging the catch. just something ive noticed last 2 games.

i think alot of ppl are underrating him and overrating hartmann. jones has had a stellar career with 1 bad yr for some reason. still has a career 41 yd net- last yr hartmanns was 38 (which is more or less the same as jones' bad yr)... plus knee surgery etc for hartmann. think jones has a much better chance of being kept around than ppl assume
In 2008, he was the first player in NFL history to have a punt gross average over 50 yds and a net average over 40 yds. And his punting style has allowed only a total of 3 blocks in 648 punts.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From Texans special teams coordinator Joe Marciano:

Quote:
On P Donnie Jones: Donnie brings a lot of experience. I remember studying Donnie out of LSU. I think I gave him a fifth-round grade. Has had a good career. Probably seen it all different kind of conditions, game conditions, philosophies. What he also brings to the table, hes also a good holder. Hes a really, really good holder, which is important, because weve got a young kicker and an experienced kicker, and hed be good for the young kicker. But were going to do whatever Donnie does best. Hes a vet. Hes going to call the game, not me, because hes the guy with the ball. So if he wants to hang that ball high down the middle, lets go. If he hits it right or left, he can directional punt. He could hang the punt. Were trying to teach him the Aussie punt inside the 10, kind of a knuckle ball to keep the ball out of the end zone, because he does have a strong leg and that Aussie punt, you can hit it hard and it just wont travel as far, wont go anywhere. Hes never done that, and hes going to try to master that.
Looks like Jones is being taught the "knuckle ball" and catching on well.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Looks like Jones is being taught the "knuckle ball" and catching on well.
Preseason is the time for experimentation.

Quote:
Well they're not far from line drives, because they were. They didn't get far in the air (from my vantage point in the 600 section), and they would have been returnable. Had the returner been able to field the punt. I get what he's trying to do. The downside is that the coverage isn't able to get to the returner before he can turn upfield. We'll see how it works out once the season starts.
Old 08-20-2012   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Preseason is the time for experimentation.

Well they're not far from line drives, because they were. They didn't get far in the air (from my vantage point in the 600 section), and they would have been returnable. Had the returner been able to field the punt. I get what he's trying to do. The downside is that the coverage isn't able to get to the returner before he can turn upfield. We'll see how it works out once the season starts.
I heard Shane Lechler talking about the Aussie Rules FB punt. He said that he uses it a lot. It is done mostly when trying to kick the ball into the redzone and kill it inside of the 20. Supposedly it doesn't bounce as far and gives you a chance to down it.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #12
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2739 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Jones is gone when Hartmann gets back.
I think Donnie is going to be the man
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #13
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1023 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones was a pretty solid punter with Rams.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #14
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2739 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
I think Donnie is going to be the man
^ This guy got it, lol.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read