Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2012   #201
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Kevin Walter can go sit on the bench..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I appreciate Walters' contributions.

However Jean should get more PT.
That's where I am. When I see Jean catch a ball, a small part of me is reminded of AJ. I think the guy has a chance to be the Rod Smith of the Texans, if he keeps at it. I like Martin for an entirely different role; one that the Texans have never really had. He's going to be good as well.
Old 08-26-2012   #202
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's where I am. When I see Jean catch a ball, a small part of me is reminded of AJ. I think the guy has a chance to be the Rod Smith of the Texans, if he keeps at it. I like Martin for an entirely different role; one that the Texans have never really had. He's going to be good as well.

I've said this before, but I want to see a healthy rotation if the young guys can handle it.

I want Aj to get more rest than he has in the past and I want all if them to stay fresh.

Walter doesn't suck. He just is not a wr that you can line up outside all game long and expect elite production.

I'd love to see Aj and Jean primarily be the outside recorders with Martin and Walter specializing in the slot.

Walter and Martin are different as can be, but both have valuable skills that can be utilized in the slot.

Martin has the speed and quickness. Precise movements. Can go up the seam and make plays or run short routes for completions.

Walter is a big bodied sure handed guy that should excel in shielding off smaller nickel corners for short quick completions and is tough enough to deal with lb's at the LOS. His blocking skills could also shine there almost being like a hybrid wr/h back type of player.

Walter has a role on this team. What I disagree on is that his role is best suited for getting most of his time as #2 wr opposite andre.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #203
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I appreciate Walters' contributions.

However Jean should get more PT.

How many plays did Walter make last yr ? Excluding Cincy, a play which will forever live in my memory.
Jean is going to be hard as hell to ignore when it comes to playing time ... He gets open , he makes tough catches. He may displace Walter sooner than later .... like before the quarter pole of the season if he keeps playing at this level.

Walter does a lot of dirty work .... but you just cant ignore the production from Jean.
AJ , Jean and Martin is a pretty dynamic trio especially when you consider Walter , OD , Graham , Casey , Foster and Tate as weapons - Schaub's loaded with any five of those guy's on the field at the same time. Thats a nightmare for defenses ....
If Schaub stays healthy all season , I expect this to be one of the top five offenses in the league (they'll get plenty of opportunities with that defense too).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #204
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Jean is going to be hard as hell to ignore when it comes to playing time ... He gets open , he makes tough catches. He may displace Walter sooner than later .... like before the quarter pole of the season if he keeps playing at this level.

Walter does a lot of dirty work .... but you just cant ignore the production from Jean.
AJ , Jean and Martin is a pretty dynamic trio especially when you consider Walter , OD , Graham , Casey , Foster and Tate as weapons - Schaub's loaded with any five of those guy's on the field at the same time. Thats a nightmare for defenses ....
If Schaub stays healthy all season , I expect this to be one of the top five offenses in the league (they'll get plenty of opportunities with that defense too).
WOW

Schaub
Foster
Casey at FB
Daniels
AJ # 1
Jean # 2
Martin # 3

All on the field at the same time, so many ways to beat teams. This could be the best most talented group we have EVER fielded. Sucks so much part of the success of these guys rests on the right side of the line which is "to put it lightly" Looking less than stellar thus far.

But other than that this team has all the potential in the world to make it to the big game in New Orleans.
Old 08-26-2012   #205
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Did Kevin Walter even play last night?

Yeah. He was out there for most of the first half.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #206
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
WOW

Schaub
Foster
Casey at FB
Daniels
AJ # 1
Jean # 2
Martin # 3

All on the field at the same time, so many ways to beat teams. This could be the best most talented group we have EVER fielded. Sucks so much part of the success of these guys rests on the right side of the line which is "to put it lightly" Looking less than stellar thus far.

But other than that this team has all the potential in the world to make it to the big game in New Orleans.
I guess we would have so many ways to beat teams if the replacement refs miss the 12 men on the field...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #207
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I figured that's what you were talking about but didn't want to speculate as I hadn't seen the play.

But if I'm understanding you right, the team did in fact ask Martin to do the same thing (motion to a wing position or to the te's hip pocket and cut the backside Olb or de). I specifically remember him doing that later in the game.

Was it as devastating a block as Walters? Probably not, but it was effective.

The wr I don't think they're going to ask to do that is Andre.
When the back side DE was 8-10 yards away from Schaub when he set up to make the throw on a bootleg, I would call it a devastating block.

We have gone through this quite extensively.

The combination of everything that Walter has been doing for the Texans is not replaceable at the moment.

Like I said, he's a mid 4.4 guy that can run good route.
He cannot be left in man too often.
I've rewatched some 9 games from last year with the all-22 view.
If Schaub had only look at Walter more often, his stats would have been completely different.

As far as speed is concern, I remember talking about Walter in the two-man route portion last off-season.
Schaub was late and short on a throw such that Walter had to slow down and came to an almost complete stop to catch that ball on the post route.
The CB had just enough time to come back to commit a PI to prevent Walter to take it to the house.
It was a 43-47-yd pass interference call (I don't remember exactly the distance, but I can look it up.)
And obviously, it was not in the book as a catch, nor a TD.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #208
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If Schaub had only look at Walter more often, his stats would have been completely different.
See, that's pretty much /thread for me, guys. You can come with all the opinions you want, but this man has watched the film. When a Walter hater (not saying we have many, but a couple) watches the film and wants to compare notes, then I'll tune back in with great interest. Until then, your opinion is just as ill informed as mine. Except I admit my opinion is ill informed.

I'd rep you 76, but I'm slack in spreading it around recently.
Old 08-27-2012   #209
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See, that's pretty much /thread for me, guys. You can come with all the opinions you want, but this man has watched the film. When a Walter hater (not saying we have many, but a couple) watches the film and wants to compare notes, then I'll tune back in with great interest. Until then, your opinion is just as ill informed as mine. Except I admit my opinion is ill informed.

Thanks mostly for the part that says we love the game and like to learn the depth of it (as much as we can).

BTW, there was also the end zone view, a regular broadcast view, and a condensed view (play only, no commercial or anything else).

On top of that, I occasionally get a different version of the game.
The Niners game for example have slightly different camera angles.
The TV crews from the two opposite teams are located in different spots (for both the side view and the occasional end zone view).

Occasionally, I also have the replay version that included a few comments from the coaches on a play here and there.
One can learn a little here and there.
Old 08-27-2012   #210
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When the back side DE was 8-10 yards away from Schaub when he set up to make the throw on a bootleg, I would call it a devastating block.

We have gone through this quite extensively.

The combination of everything that Walter has been doing for the Texans is not replaceable at the moment.

Like I said, he's a mid 4.4 guy that can run good route.
He cannot be left in man too often.

As far as speed is concern, I remember talking about Walter in the two-man route portion last off-season.
Schaub was late and short on a throw such that Walter had to slow down and came to an almost complete stop to catch that ball on the post route.
The CB had just enough time to come back to commit a PI to prevent Walter to take it to the house.
It was a 43-47-yd pass interference call (I don't remember exactly the distance, but I can look it up.)
And obviously, it was not in the book as a catch, nor a TD.
Walter 4.4 speed? Not even close...
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #211
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
That one struck me as maybe a little off as well, but I couldn't find an official 40 time. Even if he was timed at a 4.4 coming out of college, at his age I doubt he still runs that. He's fast enough though which is just fine with me.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #212
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
MID 4.4; not 4.4 on the dot.

OK, so some of us are in constant draft mode and can only recount the numbers from either the combine or their pro day.

http://40-yard-dash-times.com/kevin-...dash-time.html

http://40-yard-dash-times.com/houston-texans-2009.html

As time goes by, I have no idea where he is at.
But then again, it doesn't seem like AJ has lost much.

A mid 4.4 (ie. 4.45) is nothing in the NFL anyway.
Old 08-27-2012   #213
76Texan
Hall of Fame

As a draft guy, I must note that I don't "believe" in all the combine or pro day numbers (especially the pro days).

The tracks are not always the same.
The wind factor, the gears, etc.

The main idea is that you have to look at how fast the guy run a certain route on the actual playing field.

Walter is neither fast nor slow.
But he's fast enough to burn a DB (who may have some cushion on him) due to his good route running.

That two-man route example I had in screen shots was a good example.
I don't know if it's still there at photobucket; I haven't post anything there for a long time.
Old 08-27-2012   #214
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A mid 4.4 (ie. 4.45) is nothing in the NFL anyway.
I would argue otherwise. A guy with Kevin's size running a 4.45 is impressive. The first link says it was at his pro day which can always be a little off sometimes depending on the elements. But I really don't care though about his 40 time. They're completely overrated. The point is he does fit in this offense and at some point he's going to make plays for us. I like what Kubiak has showed on offense thus far with utilizing our young kids and bringing in fresh talent so Walter isn't the main focus as a #2.
Old 08-27-2012   #215
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As a draft guy, I must note that I don't "believe" in all the combine or pro day numbers (especially the pro days).

The tracks are not always the same.
The wind factor, the gears, etc.
It's almost like you were in my head.
Old 08-27-2012   #216
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I guess we would have so many ways to beat teams if the replacement refs miss the 12 men on the field...
haha dont mean all at the same time, just showing our versatility as far as weapons haha
Old 08-27-2012   #217
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't buy what 76 is selling. If you choose to, that's your prerogative.

With Yates or schaub at qb, Walter has taken a step back receiving wise. This isn't just a one year occurrence.

Sorry, but I don't think schaub is the type of qb or kubiak is the type of coach that would have a guy getting open all the time and not feeding him.

And which is it...is Walter getting open all the time or is he pulling coverage and drawing double or triple teams all the time?

Walter is not a bad player, but he is not the guy to be a full time starter. Not if you want your offense to reach it's maximum potential.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #218
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
So watch the All-22 and come with something specific. Because so far, he's the only one in here selling anything of substance. Everyone else (myself included) is selling speculation and conjecture based on things they haven't been able to see before this year, because the TV feed doesn't show it all. I'm not saying 76Texan can't be wrong, but I'd like to see All-22 compared between him and someone who is trying to refute what he's saying, instead of what I've seen so far.
Old 08-27-2012   #219
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

With Yates or schaub at qb, Walter has taken a step back receiving wise. This isn't just a one year occurrence.

Sorry, but I don't think schaub is the type of qb or kubiak is the type of coach that would have a guy getting open all the time and not feeding him.

And which is it...is Walter getting open all the time or is he pulling coverage and drawing double or triple teams all the time?

Walter is not a bad player, but he is not the guy to be a full time starter. Not if you want your offense to reach it's maximum potential.
I know this much: he's not drawing triple teams "all the time" or even very often--not when A.J. is on the field or A.J. (or a TE) really would be putting up Jerry Rice numbers.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #220
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Kevin Walter play against the Saints? That's a very good question because I didn't even hear his name mentioned even one time. Did he register a catch at all? Looking at the box score I see 11 total guys catching a pass but none of them are Walter. Hmm, very odd for a guy who should be open a lot of times.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read