Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2012   #181
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter can go sit on the bench..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

I don't think I've read anyone saying Walter is as good as McCaffrey was, but rather they had similar roles, which I don't think is outlandish.
I agree with this. They played similar roles and the production wasn't wildly different. Flip the script and Rod Smith isn't up to the caliber of Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub isn't John Elway either...but they played similar roles.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #182
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

I think KW has had it. A good blocker is only good on 1st & 2nd down. He is more of a liability as a receiver now that he is 31 years old. Ancient in the game of football. He was never that fleet of foot and now he doesn't have the agility needed to make the moves a good WR has to have. It is time to go to the new blood.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #183
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thank you, saved me some typing. MSR for the overall post.

When Walter is retired or replaced, people will ***** about the next #2 WR because he will not be able to step into the #1 role. But Kubiak's offense is not designed that way, and it's not going to have #1a and #1b on both sides of the field.
This.

Let fantasy football types worry about individual WR production. Each of the WRs on the Texans team have their strengths and weaknesses and roles, and with the new guys it is going to be a discovery of what those are on the NFL level.

The Texans offense is just a bunch of targets. Andre Johnson gets extra targeting because he is a more advanced species than we are. But whoever catches the ball consistently and makes plays, will get the ball.
Old 08-22-2012   #184
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
I think KW has had it. A good blocker is only good on 1st & 2nd down. He is more of a liability as a receiver now that he is 31 years old. Ancient in the game of football. He was never that fleet of foot and now he doesn't have the agility needed to make the moves a good WR has to have. It is time to go to the new blood.
Andre Johnson's 31 years old. Just thought I'd point that out
Old 08-26-2012   #185
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Kevin Walter even play last night?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #186
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
haha yeah he was out there. Jean and Martin are beginning to make KW look not so valuable IMO.
Old 08-26-2012   #187
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was the outside reciever on Martin's TD catch .... pulled double coverage while Martin slid underneath uncovered. Nasty route combination had the defenders looking like circus clowns.

Maybe 76 or Dutch can post a gif of the play .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #188
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He was the outside reciever on Martin's TD catch .... pulled double coverage while Martin slid underneath uncovered. Nasty route combination had the defenders looking like circus clowns.

Maybe 76 or Dutch can post a gif of the play .....
Got to go now.

I can't do vid anyway.

Will look at Walter tonight if I can.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #189
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes. Right after Martin fumbled for the second time....

This is why Walter will be starting over Martin. Kubiak hates, beyond anything, for a running back or WR to put the ball on the ground. Kubiak trust Walter more and should for now. If Martin keeps on doing this, you wont see him on the field no matter how talented he is...

If anything, Jean should be on the outside and Walter in the slot.

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #190
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Does he just have the one catch from the first game this preseason?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #191
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Yes. Right after Martin fumbled for the second time....

This is why Walter will be starting over Martin. Kubiak hates, beyond anything, for a running back or WR to put the ball on the ground. Kubiak trust Walter more and should for now. If Martin keeps on doing this, you wont see him on the field no matter how talented he is...

If anything, Jean should be on the outside and Walter in the slot.
I highly doubt Kubiak is going to can Martin, just because of his mistakes last night.. He's a rookie and rookies make mistakes. I was upset when it happened, but after sleeping on it I'm glad it happened. It's a great learning experience and a great teaching opportunity for Kubes. It's better to fumble now during the preseason and make the necessary corrections than to go and have a mistake free preseason and put the ball on the ground during the regular season. One of Kubiak's complements of Martin was how after he makes a mistake they tell him what he did wrong and then he fixes it, so I'm eager to see how he responds.

Anyways I already think the phase out of Walter is underway. Martin and Jean sure have getting a lot of burn with the 1s and I don't think it really matters who starts, because I think both will be on the field plenty.
Old 08-26-2012   #192
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 71306 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I highly doubt Kubiak is going to can Martin, just because of his mistakes last night.. He's a rookie and rookies make mistakes. I was upset when it happened, but after sleeping on it I'm glad it happened. It's a great learning experience and a great teaching opportunity for Kubes. It's better to fumble now during the preseason and make the necessary corrections than to go and have a mistake free preseason and put the ball on the ground during the regular season. When of Kubiak's complements of Martin was how after he makes a mistake they tell him what he did wrong and then he fixes it, so I'm eager to see how he responds.

Anyways I already think the phase out of Walter is underway. Martin and Jean sure have getting a lot of burn with the 1s and I don't think it really matters who starts, because I think both will be on the field plenty.
Not saying Kubiak will can Martin but if Martin has a problem holding onto the ball, Kubiak will not put him on the field. One of the biggest things for Kubes with his players is trust, he always talked about trusting his players to do what they needed to protect the football.

Remember the runningback a few years ago, think it was Chris Taylor, an how he was suppose to be this next great back in Kubiak system. Everybody wanted to know why he was playing Dayne over Taylor and the main reason was Taylor kept putting the ball on the ground and Kubiak didn't trust him.

Martin better than Walter, clearly, but I think Kubiak will trust Walter more when they play for real, we will see soon enough...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #193
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Not saying Kubiak will can Martin but if Martin has a problem holding onto the ball, Kubiak will not put him on the field. One of the biggest things for Kubes with his players is trust, he always talked about trusting his players to do what they needed to protect the football.

Remember the runningback a few years ago, think it was Chris Taylor, an how he was suppose to be this next great back in Kubiak system. Everybody wanted to know why he was playing Dayne over Taylor and the main reason was Taylor kept putting the ball on the ground and Kubiak didn't trust him.

Martin better than Walter, clearly, but I think Kubiak will trust Walter more when they play for real, we will see soon enough...
Taylor only fumbled once during his time here and it was recovered by the Texans. I think he got hurt, but that was a long time ago... can't remember.

But yeah.. if this becomes a habit Martin will work his way into Kubiak's dog house, but he's not there yet. Kubiak has already proven with Jones that if you have talent he'll give you multiple chances to figure things out.
Old 08-26-2012   #194
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I've stated my position on the whole Walter thing, so take it FWIW. But go back and watch Walter on the very first offensive play of the game vs. the Saints and ask yourself if they're going to ask Jean or Martin to do that.
Old 08-26-2012   #195
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've stated my position on the whole Walter thing, so take it FWIW. But go back and watch Walter on the very first offensive play of the game vs. the Saints and ask yourself if they're going to ask Jean or Martin to do that.
I don't have the game. What did he do?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #196
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't have the game. What did he do?
I don't have the game either, but I remember seeing it real time. He just did his typical motion to the right side of the line and then laid a devastating cut block at the snap.
Old 08-26-2012   #197
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't have the game either, but I remember seeing it real time. He just did his typical motion to the right side of the line and then laid a devastating cut block at the snap.
We use him a lot to do that off of play action. Bryant Johnson did it some too while Andre was out last year. I'm completely fine with KW being in the role he is now. He is not the number 2 receiver as far as receiving options go. I look for both Jean and Martin to get more looks in the passing game this year. As long as that's the case then we'll be fine. He can still play a big role for us, and we know he has the ability to make plays. Gary said today that he's going to rotate the 4 receivers regularly so its going to be important for all of them to come up big for us at certain points. It might be a different guy every game, but when their number is called they need to step up.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #198
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
We use him a lot to do that off of play action.
Yep. Frankly, I don't want them using Jean or Martin to do that, which means they need a WR on the team who can do it, and he has to be out on the field often enough that it's not a dead giveaway what they're about to do.
Old 08-26-2012   #199
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I figured that's what you were talking about but didn't want to speculate as I hadn't seen the play.

But if I'm understanding you right, the team did in fact ask Martin to do the same thing (motion to a wing position or to the te's hip pocket and cut the backside Olb or de). I specifically remember him doing that later in the game.

Was it as devastating a block as Walters? Probably not, but it was effective.

The wr I don't think they're going to ask to do that is Andre.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012   #200
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I appreciate Walters' contributions.

However Jean should get more PT.

How many plays did Walter make last yr ? Excluding Cincy, a play which will forever live in my memory.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read