Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-24-2012   #21
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair PLEASE retract your statement about replacement refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'm not losing sleep over this, but every little bit helps. Why taunt the lion if that cage might come open?

I wonder about the bolded as well. Considering the harebrained things coming out (suggestions of one official on the field and the rest handled in the booth comes to mind), I worry that the NFL cares less about the games than the outcome of their negotiation.
I'm not losing sleep, either. I was just being silly with the concerns about McNair's statements impacting games. I certainly hope there is not that much bias among the regular officials. If that's the case, then I'm rooting for the scabs.

I do think the NFL is going to play hardball for the long haul with this situation. Based on the differences with both sides and the ultimate goals of the NFL, I think they have a clear upper hand right now. And from what I understand, their demands are things that many fans have been clamoring to happen for many years. Full time refs and accountability being two of the main points.

The NFL just needs the scab refs to avoid controversy, because if fans aren't rioting, then the regular refs have an uphill battle without momentum.
Old 08-24-2012   #22
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: McNair PLEASE retract your statement about replacement refs

Boomer said the 2 min issues are:

(1) the League wants 7-10 full time refs, who would review fil Monday, Tuesday and Friday after games and be a liason for making sure rules are properly enforce and recommnding changes - the Ref Assoc says Hell no

(2) the League wants to add 3 more crews and the ability to remove refs from the rotation who suck - the Ref Assoc says Hell no
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

(1) the League wants 7-10 full time refs, who would review fil Monday, Tuesday and Friday after games and be a liason for making sure rules are properly enforce and recommnding changes - the Ref Assoc says Hell no

(2) the League wants to add 3 more crews and the ability to remove refs from the rotation who suck - the Ref Assoc says Hell no
My first reaction to that is, I'm not seeing anything wrong with those ideas.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #24
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

There is really nothing to see here... Had McNair expanded on the comments by directly addressing the "actual" NFL refs in a negative way then yes: Problem. I think any rational "actual" ref would see that comment and come to the conclusion McNair is just walking a line...

Better off saying nothing? Of course, that's always the better option, but anyone can see that was a "company line" comment...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #25
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4090 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Then dont complain about Winston and Big B getting released.
Stfu and leave her be what she says is golden. And if you don't like what Bob said then move to your own outhouse in Tennessee.
Old 08-24-2012   #26
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
My first reaction to that is, I'm not seeing anything wrong with those ideas.

This may help clarify the answers to some questions in everyone's minds.:

Quote:
The NFL Referees Association has responded to the recent statements by the NFL with the formal statement below:

Over the last two weeks the NFL and Ray Anderson, its Executive Vice President, have made or published statements regarding negotiations between the NFL and NFL Referees Association (NFLRA) which are false and/or misleading. The FACTS are set forth below.

1. NFL Statement: The NFL wants to hire three additional crews to provide current officials with more rest and to provide the league with more options. The NFLRA opposes this concept.

FACTS: The NFL’s proposal to add twenty-one (21) additional officials without increasing the aggregate compensation allocated among all officials constitutes a major REDUCTION in the NFL’s proposal to the NFLRA. This reduction was threatened by the NFL when they locked out the NFLRA officials on June 3, 2012. The increase in the number of officials was first proposed by the NFL to the NFLRA by letter dated July 19, 2012 and had never been mentioned in the preceding ten (10) months of negotiations. It is clear that this proposal is a negotiating tactic to attempt to divert attention from the real issues.

2. NFL Statement: The concepts of “full time” officials and additional officials are two major stumbling blocks in the current dispute.

FACTS: The issues of “full time” officials and additional officials have never been serious issues in the negotiations. The NFLRA is not opposed to full time officials if they are fairly compensated. While the NFL has never made any compensation proposal, comparable positions in other professional sports at the 20 year level earn approximately $350,000 to $400,000 and are provided health insurance, a pension, time-off with pay and numerous other benefits.

Likewise, the NFLRA does not oppose the hiring of additional officials. However, it is not reasonable or fair to add officials with no corresponding increase in aggregate pay as the NFL has proposed. The last CBA established procedures for hiring and compensating additional officials. The NFL now wants to abandon these procedures in order to impose a punitive pay cut.

3. NFL Statement: The league has repeatedly stated that in its current proposal a typical official would receive a 5 to 11% pay increase.

FACTS: The NFL’s proposal provided to the NFLRA Negotiating Team includes aggregate game fee compensation increases of 2.82% per year, not the rates publicly claimed by the League. In fact, the NFL’s proposal does not contain any salary schedule. Rather it contains aggregate game fees for all officials to be paid per a schedule to be developed by the NFLRA.

4. NFL Statement: Their pension proposal has been aggressively fair.

FACTS: The NFL’s proposal on the referees’ pension plan has been unchanged during the entire 10 months of negotiations – to immediately freeze and ultimately terminate the plan. The NFLRA made a major concession by offering to “grandfather” the defined benefit plan only for current officials. This concession typically “settles” the pension issue in almost all negotiations, but the NFL has refused to discuss it even though 18 teams continue to maintain defined benefit plans for their employees.

SUMMARY

The real question is why has the NFL maintained its “take it or leave it” stand and refused to change its position on the core economic issues during past ten (10) months of negotiations? It certainly is not because they can’t afford it. NFL revenues increased from $6.5 billion to $9.3 billion during the last contract period and are expected to increase in the near term to $12 to $14 billion.

The difference in aggregate compensation requested by the NFLRA and offered by the NFL are insignificant compared to NFL revenues. In the 2012 season the difference is about $2.2 million and over the five (5) year term proposed by the NFLRA about $16.5 million in total. That breaks down to $500,000 per team over five (5) years or $100,000 per team per year. This means the compensation issue could be resolved for $6,000 per game for each team! Why would the NFL jeopardize the health and safety of it players and the integrity of the game for such a modest amount?

The NFLRA has requested aggregate compensation increases less than what the NFL and NFLRA agreed to in the 2006 CBA agreement and the continuation of the defined benefit pension plan for current officials. At a time when the NFL demands that its officials maintain the highest level of integrity and serve as guardians of the game by impartial enforcement of the rules, the NFLRA believes its professional members are entitled to fair treatment in return.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #27
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: McNair PLEASE retract your statement about replacement refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

link
Oy, sounds like politicians, someone is lying, lol.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #28
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 113586 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

link
Thanks for the link.
This certainly doesn't paint the owners in a favorable light. I'd like to see an official rebuttal from the owners' side of the table.
Old 08-25-2012   #29
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone else noticed that many times these refs are not spotting the ball correctly? On several occasions I have noticed them place the ball 1 yard short or 1 yard long. I watch precisely where the ball carrier goes down and I swear they are not always marking the spot correctly.

I have noticed this in several of the pre-season games around the league.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #30
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Has anyone else noticed that many times these refs are not spotting the ball correctly? On several occasions I have noticed them place the ball 1 yard short or 1 yard long. I watch precisely where the ball carrier goes down and I swear they are not always marking the spot correctly.

I have noticed this in several of the pre-season games around the league.
Yep, I've noticed. They're awful.
Old 08-25-2012   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

UH, I don't know.......do you???????

Old 08-25-2012   #32
gwallaia

Rep Power: 51052 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
UH, I don't know.......do you???????

As a UH supporter, I do not appreciate that comment.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
As a UH supporter, I do not appreciate that comment.
I just knew someone would "misinterpret" and get me for that. FWIW.....I, too am a UH supporter (please don't misinterpret the last part of the statement also).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read