Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2012   #21
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

Bumping this to hear what you guys are thinking about Mercilus. It just feels very odd to not be hearing more about this guy, being that he's a first round pick and all.

Also, how do you think he'll get on the field this season (barring any injuries). Will he be in on certain packages? Will he simply spell breathers for Brooks & Connor? Will there actually be packages where we see Barwin, Reed, and Mercilus on the field at the same time?

Maybe we'll have our own "Nascar" package with Watt, Smith, Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, and Cushing in on obvious passing downs?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Mercilus started off great getting rave reviews in camp, like most first round rookies. He got 1.5 sacks on Carolina and registered an assist playing with the 2s against SF. As far as getting in the game he certainly looks like the first pass rushed off the bench but they have not shown any quirky packages with him, Reed and Barwin on the field at the same time.
Old 08-23-2012   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

A team never tips their hand by showing special defensive packages in preseason, most preseason defenses are pretty vanilla. I like what I've seen from Mercilus so far and think that he'll mainly be used to sub for Barwin or Reed to keep all 3 rested. A "Nascar" package on passing downs would be fun to see.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

He looked pretty good in the first game in pass rush situations. Against the run game, he didn't look as good although he held up better than I expected him to.

In the second game, he really didn't flash much at all. I didn't see any good pressure by him.

I think they've got the luxury, at this point at least, to not worry about having to speed up his development. I expect to see him giving Reed and Barwin breathers and being part of the rotation and I expect Wade to unveil some packages with all our best pass rushers on the field when the real games start... if not in the Saints game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been surprised by the amount of time I've seen him in coverage. Given his size I thought he'd play more of a pure rusher role, but they drop him in zone quite a bit.
Old 08-23-2012   #26
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't speak for much but he seems to be having a really good camp.

On another note I'm disappointed with this thread, there's not one Wynton Marsalis reference to be seen.
Old 08-23-2012   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't a fan of the pick and I'm not all that smitten at the moment. I don't think he sucks, but I don't see him as being a star either. I'd take solid to good from him and I'd be happy.

Not really expecting much from him as a rookie though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He looked pretty good in the first game in pass rush situations. Against the run game, he didn't look as good although he held up better than I expected him to.

In the second game, he really didn't flash much at all. I didn't see any good pressure by him.

I think they've got the luxury, at this point at least, to not worry about having to speed up his development. I expect to see him giving Reed and Barwin breathers and being part of the rotation and I expect Wade to unveil some packages with all our best pass rushers on the field when the real games start... if not in the Saints game.
Mercilus played WOLB

I counted 9 pass plays that he was in.

He dropped back into coverage twice.

He beat his man to the inside twice, but both times they were quick passes.

On the long pass play to Jenkins for 32 yards (Ball sucks), both he and the WDE rushed the outside gap so he was neutralized by his own man.

On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs.
There was no push or penetration in the middle.
If there was, the QB has to pull back, and Mercilus would have a chance to get to him around the 3 sec mark.

He was neutralized by the OT once and there were 2 other quick passes in which there was nothing he can do.

The pass rush can be most effective if 2 or 3 players (including the back end) combine to make it happen.

Of all the run plays he was in, none was directly toward him.

He was in on the same stop with the NT Harris to limit the RB to a one-yd gain (due to the effort of several other guys on play side - I mentioned this play in the thread about NT Harris).
He got off the block of his man very nicely, I must say.

All and all, I think he had a solid game.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #29
Lambert
Veteran

Rep Power: 6301 Lambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respectedLambert is a quality contributor and well respected

"On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs."

In Less than 4 seconds he could have tied his shoe. Gotta get there in less than that.
Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert View Post
"On the next pass (incompletion, but Jenkins beat Ball again), Mercilus beat his man late and would have gotten to the QB in just a tad less than 4 secs."

In Less than 4 seconds he could have tied his shoe. Gotta get there in less than that.
1. I said "late"; otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered noted the time now, would I?

2. I also said, often there needs to be other players involved to make a play happen.
A huge number of sacks happen around the 4 sec mark.
With a push or penetration up the middle, this play could have happened around the 3 sec mark.

3. BTW, as a new poster, I don't think it's a good idea to jump the gun and simply throw "wise" comment around just for the sake of it. But if you would rather "anything goes", you're welcome to go for it.

Last edited by 76Texan; 08-24-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2012   #31
76Texan
Hall of Fame

I was in the middle of documenting the plays when another thread distracted me.

Let me just post what I have for now.

2nd quarter

1-10-HST 28 (8:17) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete short right to T.Ginn (Q.Demps).
Mercilus at WOLB
Dropped into coverage as the right flat defender.

2-10-HST 28 (8:13) C.Kaepernick pass incomplete deep left to R.Moss (A.Ball).
Moss should have caught that back shoulder fade.
Ball out in slightly less than 2 secs.
Worked the LT to the inside, gaining a bit of leverage.

3-10-HST 28 (8:06) (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short right to T.Ginn to HST 22 for 6 yards (S.McManis).
PENALTY on SF-A.Davis, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at HST 28 - No Play.
43 WDE - Quick pass, ball out in just over one sec.

3-15-HST 33 (7:37) (Shotgun) K.Hunter up the middle to HST 19 for 14 yards (J.Crick).
SOLB - run away
Harris was pushed back 6 yards and pancaked.

San Francisco 49ers at 0:54, (1st play from scrimmage 0:48)
1-10-SF 21 (:48) (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short left to K.Williams to SF 27 for 6 yards (A.Ball).
43 WDE
Quick pass.

2-4-SF 27 (:27) (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short left to K.Reuland to SF 35 for 8 yards (T.Nolan).
PENALTY on SF-K.Reuland, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at SF 27 - No Play.

43 SDE
TE ran accross his face trying to slow Mercilus down a tad.
Still, he took the LT close to the QB, disengaged and was ready to launch at around the 2 sec mark.
The LG came back to help just in time; otherwise, Mercilus would have been on top of the QB.
In one-on-one, this would have been a sack right here (at the least, a BIG QB hit).

2-14-SF 17 (:19) (Shotgun) L.James right guard to SF 23 for 6 yards (T.Dobbins, T.Nolan).
PENALTY on HST-T.Dobbins, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at SF 23.
43 WDE
Run away

3rd quarter
San Francisco 49ers at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:53)
1-10-SF 25 (14:53) C.Kaepernick pass short right to K.Williams to SF 32 for 7 yards (B.McCain).
WOLB
Quick pass
Demps nearly jumped the route.

2-3-SF 32 (14:19) R.Cartwright up the middle to SF 33 for 1 yard (R.Harris, W.Mercilus).
WOLB
Brahman SOLB and Crick (especially Crick) shut down play side.
Runner cut back.
Harris stood his ground and was the first man there (low)
Mercilus was attacking outside the RT, disengaged and came around back to join in just a hair afterward (high).
Not sure if Harris could have brought the runner down by himself.
At least, he would have gained some more yards without Mercilus

3-2-SF 33 (13:41) C.Kaepernick pass short right to A.Dixon pushed ob at SF 33 for no gain (T.Dobbins).
221 personnel.
After motion, Mercilus became SOLB (2 TE set with lone receiver on his side).
Quick pass (less than 2 secs.)
With the TE crossing Mercilus's face to slow him down a tad, the LT was able to hold Mercilus off.
There was nothing he can really do here.

Last edited by 76Texan; 08-24-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2012   #32
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

76 I know this a WM thread but anything you can throw out about Crick would be nice too. I saw him in the game a few times but didn't really see him able to make a play.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
76 I know this a WM thread but anything you can throw out about Crick would be nice too. I saw him in the game a few times but didn't really see him able to make a play.
I'll do it tonight.
I'm pretty sure Crick had a decent game.
Old 08-24-2012   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Understand that Crick is recovering from injury so I don't expect as much
Old 08-24-2012   #35
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'll do it tonight.
I'm pretty sure Crick had a decent game.
Phillips was saying good things about him after yesterday's practice.
Old 08-24-2012   #36
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
On another note I'm disappointed with this thread, there's not one Wynton Marsalis reference to be seen.
Here you go Show.

Maybe they are limiting Mercilus' play style/moves, so other teams can't see what he's capable of when sh!t gets real. Hell, I don't know, He's our secret weapon.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012   #37
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

All those who think Crick goes quietly into the night, with "night" being "the practice squad," raise your hand...or some part of your body that signifies you agree. Well, not ANY part of your body (I'm looking at you, Texan Bill).

Dudes who are gimpy, and are rookies, they go to Gary Kubiak's misfit toy island for a year. I want to see Crick next year when he's healed up and ready to do war. Or get called up later this season if needed.

I see no way he makes the 53. IMO.
Old 08-24-2012   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
All those who think Crick goes quietly into the night, with "night" being "the practice squad," raise your hand...or some part of your body that signifies you agree. Well, not ANY part of your body (I'm looking at you, Texan Bill).

Dudes who are gimpy, and are rookies, they go to Gary Kubiak's misfit toy island for a year. I want to see Crick next year when he's healed up and ready to do war. Or get called up later this season if needed.

I don't think so. I think he makes the 53.

It's very rare for a 4th round player to be waived. And it's even rarer for them to find their way to the practice squad.

The only way we "stash" him is if we IR him.

He played last week and he didn't look bad.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012   #39
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I think we're going to carry 5 DE's. He'll make the squad.
Old 08-25-2012   #40
kingh99

In Wade We Trust.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read