Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sharpton: PUP

This has gone under the radar. The article doesn't specifically mention it, but he has been placed on PUP/ACT(ive).
Quote:
Inside Linebacker Darryl Sharpton Suffers Setback With Hip Injury
July 30, 2012 3:24 PM

HOUSTON (CBS Houston) – Texans inside linebacker Darryl Sharpton was expected to work his way back onto the practice field this week from a torn quad injury that forced him to miss most of last season.

But Sharpton experienced a setback during Sunday’s rehabilitation session, injuring his hip and now it may be another three weeks before he is able to join his teammates on the practice field.

“The news is not good, but it’s not totally disappointing,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said following Monday morning’s practice. “He’s going to miss some time. He has a hip issue that he kind of developed in his rehab process. He had a problem yesterday.

“We did a MRI on it and he’s got a problem that will take a few weeks to heal. That’s not good news from that standpoint.”
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if sharpton never plays for us again.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #3
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sharpton: PUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Based on?
Old 08-05-2012   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Most likely, during the leg extension rehab, his still weakened quad was being overloaded, and he was trying to compensate by using his hip flexors which elevates the thigh, to assist elevation of his lower leg against the weight. A hip flexor tear is what probably resulted.
Old 08-05-2012   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Based on?
Is inability to stay on the field and that he was drafted for a different system. If DeMeco Ryans wasn't a good fit for Phillips 3-4, then Sharpton's really not a good fit. I see an injury settlement in Sharpton's future.
Old 08-05-2012   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Is inability to stay on the field and that he was drafted for a different system. If DeMeco Ryans wasn't a good fit for Phillips 3-4, then Sharpton's really not a good fit. I see an injury settlement in Sharpton's future.
Yeah, but unless there's more to the injury than even the recent setback would have you believe (and that's always a possibility), I think the makeup of the roster has him back for another year. Things are pretty thin at ILB once you get past Cushing and James.
Old 08-05-2012   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I've been watching this and I've definitely got a bad feeling gnawing at my innards.

Immediately after the James signing, I was of the opinion that Sharpton was the incumbent starter and James, his backup. That all changed in the OTAs. And with James' knowledge and experience, I think I was wrong to pencil Sharpton in as the starter at that point.

But now, I'm worried about Sharpton even playing for us this season.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2012   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but unless there's more to the injury than even the recent setback would have you believe (and that's always a possibility), I think the makeup of the roster has him back for another year. Things are pretty thin at ILB once you get past Cushing and James.
It's not so bad, Loiseau seems to be a perfect fit for what they need, as long as he's continuing to make strides in practice I believe he'll be on the roster as a special teamer, much like Braman last year. I also believe Brooks Reed could step over and play Mike or Mo a handful of plays a game if needed. Realistically, this D is probably going to operate out of nickel for the majority of snaps so the importance of the 3rd ILB is far less than a 3rd corner, a 3rd pass rusher (why they drafted Mercilus) or even a 3rd lineman or safety. Even still, there's always Dobbins....that one hit he put on Rice at the goalline was worth carrying him on the roster the whole year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Most likely, during the leg extension rehab, his still weakened quad was being overloaded, and he was trying to compensate by using his hip flexors which elevates the thigh, to assist elevation of his lower leg against the weight. A hip flexor tear is what probably resulted.
That sucks for him. Hopefully he can bounce back from his injuries.
Old 08-05-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I personally think we are fine at ilb with dobbins, mister Alexander and louiseau.

And really I think people are sleeping on mister Alexander. I think he can thrive in wades defense as a run support lb.

I don't know how his pass coverage or blitz skills are, but I am excited to see how he has progressed.
Old 08-05-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too.

I think this is all leading up to an injury settlement.

Even if he were to get healthy enough to play it's going to take him some time to get back to playing shape and you just have to wonder if sharpton is worth the trouble to put it bluntly.
Old 08-06-2012   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Rey. I think we've got good depth with Dobbins, Alexander, and Louiseau. It's an old saying but it's true, You can't make the team from the trainers table or the IR list. Also I've never seen what's so special about Sharpton, he's undersized for the position and has an extensive injury history here. He's just not worth all the effort to hang onto him so that we can maybe make him into an undersized backup ILB. If Rick Smith is smart he's working on an injury settlement with Sharpton.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Kubiak today:

Quote:
(on ILB Darryl Sharpton) “He’s not ready. I’ve used the word ‘slow-process’, but I knew it was going to be four or five weeks. We knew that from the start. He is doing well. He’s starting to run. So he’s a lot closer now to getting on the field than he was before, but at the same time, we’re working on an eight or nine day window where we have to make some decisions.”

(on how ILB Darryl Sharpton’s injury affects how he shapes the roster next week) “Well, it’s strictly whether or not he’s ready to play. We know what he can do. We know what we’ll get. We know what type of special teams player we’ll get, but at the same time, we’ve got to see when we think he’s going to be ready to contribute. Just going back to practice doesn’t mean you’re quite ready to go contribute yet. It’s something we’ll have to work through.”
link
Old 08-22-2012   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Did we ever get specifics on his hip injury that he suffered early in TC/OTA's?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read