Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2012   #1
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 49ers review: Right Side OL and Bradie James not good

Overall: Hard to pick on a team after a nice (pre-season) win over a legitimate team, but I had a chance to re-watch the game on TV. I'm still a little concerned about the running game on both sides. I feel better about the D cause we're missing Watt and Cody, but I'm not feeling great about Bradie James. I don't see him bringing much over the first two preseason games, and he missed a tackle badly against the 2nd team 49ers offense.

On the Oline, both Caldwell and Newton had some big missed assignments against the starters. I'm surprised that Caldwell still hasn't developed the technique at this point in his career. Letting DLs get penetration is an instant zone-blocking killer.

Here is my first team, play-by-play review:

1st Offensive Drive

-Bad showing for Derrick Newton and Antoine Cardwell. Derrick Misses a block on a wide right play, his defender takes Arian Foster down at the line. Arian could have broken it in for a gain of 3-4, but no excuse for Newton not getting on his guy.

-Antoine completely misses his cut block after Chris Meyers set it up for him. The missed block allowed the 49ers NT to get penetration--a no no in the zone scheme.

-Derrick Newton misses his block on the screen...on a corner. Don't know why he didn't blow the guy up as he had the angle, Caldwell also looked slow down the field.

1st Defensie Drive

-1st run play: Good running play by the 9ers. Mitchell misses a reaching tackle, but I'm more concerned with Bradie James. He gave up once guard was on him, if he at least brings a little momentum into his block he can at least narrow the hole and save 3-5 yards.

-2nd pass play: Mclain missed his assignment.

-1st screen: Cushing makes a great tackle to save any positive yards.

2nd down: Bradie James gets on Vernon Davis. Davis drops the ball, but it looked like Bradie had him shy of the 1st down marker.

3rd down: Great pass rush. Cushing blows by his block on a blitz to disrupt. Jamison's motor comes from the right side to take out Smith. Sack should be cut in thirds.

2nd Offensive Drive:

1st running play: Looked like a good defense was called. No lanes opened up.

2nd running play: Derrick Newton and Caldwell got locked up on their one man. Neither released to catch the linebacker behind them. Poor technique/bad communication on their part; someone should have split off.

False start on Owen Daniels. Looked like cadence timing.

3rd down: Foster came up one yard shy on the dump off.

2nd defensive drive:

1st running play: Ouch, both Jamison and Sonny got handled at the line. James's play looks pretty uninspired, gets pushed back for 2 yards without much of a fight. 8 yard run.

2nd play: Nice recovery. Sonny gets nice penetration, Bradie James cleans up.

3rd play: Missing Watt. Jamison got busted up. Brooks Reed didn't pick up the draw, and took himself out by going wide.

4th play: Glover....glover....glover....come on man! Alright, I'll give you one since it's pre-season.

Pass play to Crabtree: Nice work by Mclain...nicely timed defensive shove.

3 and 10: Good pass rush, but Antonio got his arms up. Not sure why Antonio didn't get lower, but it was a little ticky tack.

2nd and 7: Crick looks pretty good, and held his ground. Cushing makes a nice play to get him down.

3 and 4: Decent run stop.

4 and 1: Close, but 9ers get it.

1 and 10: Six yard run, J Jo finishes it off. Good power football run.

2 and 4: Holding on the 9ers.

2 and 14: Nice penetration by Barwin should have gotten him.

3 and 14: Kareem got caught star gazing, should have been on Moss quicker on the short grab.

4 and 1: Great stop by the defense. Antonio gets immediate penetration and Dobbins cleans it up shy of the marker.

3rd offensive drive:

1 and 10: When in doubt...trust Andre.

1 and 10: Daniels drops an easy one.

2 and 10: Short run. The O-line still has some timing issue...but that should be expected with a new RT.

3 and 7: Good pass pro, but Schaub held the ball too long. No completion.

Field goal: And the kicking battle ensues...

Commercial: Umm is any one actually interested in an action film about a bike messenger? Really?
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #2
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: 49ers review: Right Side OL and Bradie James not good

I'm not a fan of Bradie James, but I'd like him to prove to me that he can play. Tim Dobbins is a legit LB on 3rd/4th and short situations, but I don't think we've seen enough of him to start over Bradie James. Would love to have Darryl Sharpton back, he was playing great as a backup ILB last season before his injury.

Not worried about the right side of the OL since it was against the Niners, and a preseason game.
Old 08-20-2012   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

On the other hand .... Dobbins has been a rock in the middle. There are alternatives.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is McClain?

Edit: nevermind
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we're talking about stuff that's been less than impressive, I haven't been exactly wowed by Earl mitchell's play.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give James a little more time. He is a little bit older, but has been a solid player for a long time and really knows this defense and is familiar with Wade's coaching. I think James will be fine.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Who is McClain?
Chubbie, pasty white, mustache, glasses, partially eaten food in his hand...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Who is McClain?

Edit: nevermind
He's the huge Nose I've been wanting!
Old 08-20-2012   #9
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Mitchell is pretty good at getting up the field on a pass rush, but I agree he's a liability against the run. You don't ask a Wade Phillips nose to make plays when double-teamed, but Earl gets blown off the line more often than not.

In one of the plays I reviewed both Earl and Tim got manhandled, making such a large gap that's very difficult for the LBers to cover.

I think we're seeing Cody's value, it's tough to have a small NT without a thumper at the MAC/SILB position. My guess is that they would move Cushing back if Cody were expected to be out for the year.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
Mitchell is pretty good at getting up the field on a pass rush, but I agree he's a liability against the run. You don't ask a Wade Phillips nose to make plays when double-teamed, but Earl gets blown off the line more often than not.

In one of the plays I reviewed both Earl and Tim got manhandled, making such a large gap that's very difficult for the LBers to cover.

I think we're seeing Cody's value, it's tough to have a small NT without a thumper at the MAC/SILB position. My guess is that they would move Cushing back if Cody were expected to be out for the year.
And we have a winner .... Cody is severely underrated on this forum .. almost as much as some overrate others like Yates (not that I dont think he has potential to be a starting NFL QB) , but he's a backup at this juncture.

Cody's been the most consistent defensive lineman on this roster over the past two seasons , bar none , fade all.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm seriously kind of worried about the OL. I started worrying when they cut Winston and let Brisiel walk without getting anyone to take the spot. I had/have no faith in Butler to fill that spot as competently as Winston, at least in the short term. If he was better than Winston, he would have been starting over Winston. Maybe he develops into a guy that is as good or better than Winston was, but you ideally don't want to let a guy develop out on the edge right next to two guys that are also trying to learn the gig (RG and Graham at TE). And Caldwell had ample opportunity to supplant Brisiel, and was drafted in the 3rd round. He hasn't impressed me, and I was pretty high on that draft pick at the time. Same thing with Graham. OD has spent significant time injured and Graham never even dressed for most games. The guy just hasn't impressed me at all.

Arian Foster is All World, but even he needs a little help, especially when you get to the playoffs and face off against the best defenses int he game.

As for defense, I am a little less worried. I think Bradie James will look a lot better when he has Cody, Watt, and Cushing out there healthy and full speed. So I'm worried about health, but not really ability. I do have some concerns at LB, since Sharpton can't seem to stay healthy. But Dobbins is showing well, so maybe between him and Braman, Next Man Up would be OK if James went down (God forbid). The secondary is definitely improved, and the pass rush is going to be fierce again, so that combination will keep you in games against anyone but the very elite QBs.

The red zone scoring is going to be an issue again, especially if the OL can't get it together soon.
Old 08-21-2012   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
On the other hand .... Dobbins has been a rock in the middle. There are alternatives.
Isn't Dobbins the one who made the big-time hit on Rice to stop the Ravens
on their final down right at our GL in the playoff game in Baltimore ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #13
417Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4299 417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected417Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Bradie James was on the downslide of his career last 2 years with Dallas. His tackling and awareness was very shaky/subpar at best.
417Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm seriously kind of worried about the OL. I started worrying when they cut Winston and let Brisiel walk without getting anyone to take the spot. I had/have no faith in Butler to fill that spot as competently as Winston, at least in the short term. If he was better than Winston, he would have been starting over Winston. Maybe he develops into a guy that is as good or better than Winston was, but you ideally don't want to let a guy develop out on the edge right next to two guys that are also trying to learn the gig (RG and Graham at TE). And Caldwell had ample opportunity to supplant Brisiel, and was drafted in the 3rd round. He hasn't impressed me, and I was pretty high on that draft pick at the time. Same thing with Graham. OD has spent significant time injured and Graham never even dressed for most games. The guy just hasn't impressed me at all.
Let me say this about that...

I don't think it's BUTLER that made them think they could let Winston go. I think they saw so much development from Newton last season that they expected him to supplant and surpass Butler on the right side, moving Butler back to the swing tackle position where he's been the past few years.

Brisiel was the guy whose loss really bothered me. I know that Caldwell was playing on two high ankle sprains last season but I can only go by what I've seen and Caldwell hasn't really impressed me. But I think they're hoping for Brooks to step up OR Shelley Smith to step up and take that spot. (Although it seems like Smith is destined for the left side.)

After hearing so much about Graham being OD Part II, I really had high hopes for him. I haven't seen anything yet from him to make me feel good about Dreessen's departure.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #15
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417Texan View Post
I thought Bradie James was on the downslide of his career last 2 years with Dallas. His tackling and awareness was very shaky/subpar at best.
He also made the tackle on San Francisco's second 4th down attempt. Dude is a run-stopping machine.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Isn't Dobbins the one who made the big-time hit on Rice to stop the Ravens
on their final down right at our GL in the playoff game in Baltimore ?
Yep. Dude is awesome in goal line and short yardage stops.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read