Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #41
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some Texans Olinemen Not Happy with OL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Remember that this 9ers defense was far and away the best run defense in the nfl. I looked at their week by week rushing stats and they gave up one 100 yard game against Marshawn Lynch.
They faced some good backs as well.
Lesean McCoy
Ray Rice
Marshawn Lynch x2
Steven Jackson x2
Only Lynch had one hundred yard game. Their run defense was insane last year. Not worried about the line.
This. I was at the game, and my bud was getting antsy because Arian wasn't busting out any big runs (prior the Johnson catch). But I felt pretty confident that the O-line would break him lose sooner or later, it's just not gonna happen every other play when facing one of the best front 7 in the league.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #42
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Remember that this 9ers defense was far and away the best run defense in the nfl. I looked at their week by week rushing stats and they gave up one 100 yard game against Marshawn Lynch.
They faced some good backs as well.
Lesean McCoy
Ray Rice
Marshawn Lynch x2
Steven Jackson x2
Only Lynch had one hundred yard game. Their run defense was insane last year. Not worried about the line.
Ive been debating which front seven is the best in the NFL .... Both the Texans and 49ers deserve serious consideration for the distinction but for different aspects of ... the Texans for that pass rush , is there a team that compares ? .... the 49ers for their stellar run defense , far and away the best last season and looking just as formidable this.

The fact that the Texans are able to generate such a pass rush missing two starters (Watt and Cody) says a whole lot about their depth.

Their woes against the run (alibet a top 10 rushing offense from last year) have to take that into consideration - Cody is strong against the run. Maybe he gets some credit after seeing the defense get shredded without him.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #43
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeycharp89 View Post
This. I was at the game, and my bud was getting antsy because Arian wasn't busting out any big runs (prior the Johnson catch). But I felt pretty confident that the O-line would break him lose sooner or later, it's just not gonna happen every other play when facing one of the best front 7 in the league.
It certainly didn't. Just as I had expected.

We had one of the best running games in the NFL last season. Some fans expect that we will see the same this year despite a decrease in talent level on the line.

Last night was just another indication that it won't be the case.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #44
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post

We had one of the best running games in the NFL last season. Some fans expect that we will see the same this year despite a decrease in talent level on the line.

You don't get it do you? Sometimes the best run defense will beat the best run offense. Just how it goes when the other team has three all pros in their front 7
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #45
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Tate ran at will pretty much against the Panthers ... Foster gained 11 yards on his only carry (sure he fumbled) .... the other backs looked pretty solid against Carolina too.

Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to the other guy. There's a reason the 49ers gave up only 77 rushing yards per game last season - they are very good.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-19-2012   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

What decrease in level? Winston was a 3rd Round pick, same as Caldwell. Brisiel was undrafted.
Old 08-20-2012   #47
FosterGreatness
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to the other guy. There's a reason the 49ers gave up only 77 rushing yards per game last season - they are very good.
Amen. People put to much thought into this sometimes... it honestly wasn't awful. The Texans had 27 carries for 119 yards, 4.4 avg. Foster had 10 carries for 46 yards, regardless if a big chunk came from a couple of plays... that is still pretty good against that team.
FosterGreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not worried. I think the left side of the line is going to chew ass until the right side of the line perks up.

This whole preseason is a time for guys in all positions to sort of wake up and smell the coffee. This is why four preseason games is beneficial; to get guys sharpened up and into "football shape."

My biggest concern is special teams. Holliday will make the team, but he has to produce AND not commit errors that cost us. The Kicker's job? I have a bad feeling about Bullock--I was really thinking he could be our Mason Crosby, but Graham looks wayyy more comfortable and chillax out there. Keeping the wrong guy at Kicker can be a huge mistake, and last year Kubiak kept the wrong guy at Punter and then had that final preseason game to see what a huge error that had been.

I'm fine with QB. Good to go with RBs. I sense that the OL will sharpen up before week 1. WRs, hell yeah AJ and KM and portions of KW are fine by me. TEs will be good with OD, Casey and GG. I'm good with the defense, and KJ looks like he's ready to be "the" guy at CB2.

KR and K scare the hell outta me, seriously can cost us games if it gets bad and in a hurry. You don't want to see the other guys in O and D gutting out close games only to see a botched return or a shanked FG cost us the game.
Old 08-20-2012   #49
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What decrease in level? Winston was a 3rd Round pick, same as Caldwell. Brisiel was undrafted.
Brilliant. Base your assessment of talent on draft position. That's good.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
KR and K scare the hell outta me
RG and RT scare the hell outa me(Mostly RG) .... Keeping Schaub upright is the key to a Superbowl run or an early exit from the playoffs IMO. Those two are key to that.

KR .... Trycycle has shown to be proficient.

K - May the best man win.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 08-20-2012   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Brilliant. Base your assessment of talent on draft position. That's good.
Isn't that what the draft is?

We've lost some experience, but I don't know that we've lost any "talent"

Butler has played well for us at LT.... most people consider that a more difficult position than RT & though many have come to love Brisiel, I think it's his lunch-pail, blue collared attitude that's endeared him, not his "talent"
Old 08-20-2012   #52
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
RG and RT scare the hell outa me(Mostly RG) .... Keeping Schaub upright is the key to a Superbowl run or an early exit from the playoffs IMO. Those two are key to that.

KR .... Trycycle has shown to be proficient.

K - May the best man win.
At least with an O-line...there's two sides, and one side is coaching up the other side. You can mask or compensate for a guy who is struggling ...such as a RG.

Kickers? On their own. It's a lonely job, and they become a goat much faster than they become a hero.

Like I said also: It'll take one ill timed botched return by Holliday to turn a game on its head, a game the other players might have been clawing out play by play up until a botched return. That hissing noise you'll hear? Air being let out of a balloon.

K and KR are very caustic if it's not handled right. If it's reliably decent, then it's a great thing. If it's awesome, it can super-charge the entire team.

Holliday and Graham/Bullock have to be on their game immediately when week 1 starts, and thus far I'm thinking Graham looks like he's calm and more steady than Bullock. Holliday? I have to see him when the pressure is on in a real reg season game before I will trust.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read