Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2012   #21
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter can go sit on the bench..

Kevin makes 2 mil for 2012 I think, I say we drop him for that little extra money to help resign Barwin long term.
pirbroke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Too many good WRs?!?

We have one good WR (when healthy) Johnson.

One pretty good, KW.

And a bunch of unproven young guys. Let's see how they react when the bullets are real and the D actually game plans.
Good point.
Lots of guys have looked good in preseason only to fade into obscurity. Let's see what happens when the games count. Might be a tad early to make this call...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Kevin Walter isn't going to be benched, that's not happening.
That's the same stance people took when talking about jacoby and Demeco this past off season.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the young guys chip away at his playing time or fully supplant him if they show consistency.

But honestly, like I said Walter is not a bad wr. Really I'd like to see Aj get bit more rest than he has in the past. Jean, Walter and Martin should be a nice combo for a few plays/gm.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #24
kingh99

It's fairly obvious Posey's headed to the practice squad. He's not happening this year. In fact, he may be done before he got started. Not sure his psyche can take being sent off a team two years running. Martin and Jean are ready to move into the starting rotation. This means Walters is moving down the chart to become a valuable experienced back up. He's there in case one of the other two stumble or get hurt.
Old 08-19-2012   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
It's fairly obvious Posey's headed to the practice squad. He's not happening this year. In fact, he may be done before he got started. Not sure his psyche can take being sent off a team two years running. Martin and Jean are ready to move into the starting rotation. This means Walters is moving down the chart to become a valuable experienced back up. He's there in case one of the other two stumble or get hurt.
I'd be shocked if kubiak cut posey. That would be new.
Old 08-19-2012   #26
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guys he hasn't even had a chance. Give him a chance. Besides if he was sent to PS he would definitely be snatched up within 48 hours.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Guys he hasn't even had a chance. Give him a chance. Besides if he was sent to PS he would definitely be snatched up within 48 hours.
I doubt he'd make it to the ps. He'd probably be claimed off waivers.
Old 08-19-2012   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Kevin makes 2 mil for 2012 I think, I say we drop him for that little extra money to help resign Barwin long term.
Cutting Walter in 2012 would not help a new Barwin contract in 2013.

Walter will make this team, though Jean will cut into his playing time. I'd like to see Jean make through a preseason before anointing him a starter.
Old 08-19-2012   #29
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
FWIW, Walter had his man beat for a TD in the end zone, but Schaub threw it too high on what was I think his only real incompletion.
Another play Walter made .... that wasnt completed was the OD drop , it was Walters route that created the window of opportunity for that pass to be thrown .... OD has to catch that ball.

The devil is in the details ....

I do agree that if Martin & Jean continue their solid play , they eat into Walters snaps and possibly make him expendable next season.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #30
kingh99

Then the draft room guys missed on the Posey pick. He doesn't deserve a roster spot if it means someone like Holliday get's cut. And if not Holliday, then who? Kevin Walters? It would have to be one of those two, wouldn't it? If they keep 5 receivers/returners:

Johnson
Martin
Jean
Holliday
Walters/Posey

or
Walters
Holliday/Posey

They don't keep 6 do they? I guess they could. Should be interesting.
Old 08-19-2012   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Then the draft room guys missed on the Posey pick. He doesn't deserve a roster spot if it means someone like Holliday get's cut. And if not Holliday, then who? Kevin Walters? It would have to be one of those two, wouldn't it? If they keep 5 receivers/returners:

Johnson
Martin
Jean
Holliday
Walters/Posey

or
Walters
Holliday/Posey

They don't keep 6 do they? I guess they could. Should be interesting.
They will probably keep 6 wr's.
Old 08-19-2012   #32
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Martin and Jean beat out Posey for playing time with the first teamers.

Posey sitting out all of last year only reinforces the fact the he needs to go to the practice squad. I can't think of any productive player I would cut just so I can give a spot to Posey. He can not make plays sitting at home watching the game.

Actually I expect him to have some sort of odd injury that will get him IR'd the last week of preseason.
A third round draft pick is not going to the practice squad.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #33
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Another play Walter made .... that wasnt completed was the OD drop , it was Walters route that created the window of opportunity for that pass to be thrown .... OD has to catch that ball.

The devil is in the details ....
Yeah, that's the thing. To the people who say Walter isn't getting open and isn't creating separation and therefore isn't getting targeted, I say .... maybe. But I think it's just as likely that he's being deliberately used in a way to get other players open. Kubiak draws up these complex routes and he needs someone he trusts to do certain aspects of the job. Now, I don't know that to be true any more than some of the people know Walter sucks at getting open, but I'm honest enough to consider the possibility. That's why I am anxiously awaiting the All-22 film to be broken down by some people on this board this year, now that it'll finally be available.

So I am in a wait and see mode. The knee jerk reaction is to look at the stats and think Walter has to go, but I suspect Kubiak knows full well what Walter has done and keeps him out there for that express reason.
Old 08-19-2012   #34
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Posey is a project. Think Dorin Dickerson with a far better chance of success in that he's not making a position change. Posey pays off hopefully later in the year. If not then next year he'll be expected to start producing. He's a year out of competitive football for intents and purposes. He's going to take time and the Texans know it.

Now having said that you can make a really good case for not throwing 3rd round picks at projects or reclamation projects but that's what the Texans did.
Old 08-19-2012   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Posey is a project. Think Dorin Dickerson with a far better chance of success in that he's not making a position change. Posey pays off hopefully later in the year. If not then next year he'll be expected to start producing. He's a year out of competitive football for intents and purposes. He's going to take time and the Texans know it.

Now having said that you can make a really good case for not throwing 3rd round picks at projects or reclamation projects but that's what the Texans did.
you can say the same thing about Brooks. Texans are betting on upside, both should succeed in time based on quality of coaching & system that is now proven for the first time in team history. I have no problem with either

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yeah, that's the thing. To the people who say Walter isn't getting open and isn't creating separation and therefore isn't getting targeted, I say .... maybe. But I think it's just as likely that he's being deliberately used in a way to get other players open.
I doubt that.

Whats more effective for creating opportunities for other receivers?

A guy that shows he is a constant threat and pulls coverage no matter where he goes?

Or a guy that rarely catches passes?

Give me the guy that is actually a consistent threat to catch passed.

Other guys run routes to get guys open too, but since kw hardly does anything else folks just focus on his blocking and his "decoy ability".

I didn't hear much about how great a decoy od was last year when he cleared out that room for Walter to make the game winning catch against cincy.

You know why?

Because OD actually catches passes so you don't have to cling to some small thing he does as justification for him starting.

Kw was given his contract when he was catching passes. When he stopped doing that as effectively he was asked to take a pay cut.

The guy is a good wr, but all this blocking and decoying he does is not nearly as significant as a wr that can consistently make plays catching the ball.
Old 08-19-2012   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you can say the same thing about Brooks. Texans are betting on upside, both should succeed in time based on quality of coaching & system that is now proven for the first time in team history. I have no problem with either
Me either. I'm just saying that people all worried about Posey taking a roster spot from Holliday or getting plucked away from us while on his way to our practice squad are worrying about something that's not going to happen. We'll keep 6 I think. AJ & Walter are fixtures, Martin and Jean have played their way onto the team, Holliday is finally ready for the game at this level, and Posey is Smithiak's long-term project.

They'll find a way to keep 6.
Old 08-19-2012   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Posey sitting out all of last year only reinforces the fact the he needs to go to the practice squad.

Actually I expect him to have some sort of odd injury that will get him IR'd the last week of preseason.
IR Posey, and that's 2 years with very little football. Because players on IR cannot practice with the team.
Old 08-19-2012   #39
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I doubt that.
Fair enough. As I alluded to above, I'm 50/50 on the idea. We'll see on the All-22, won't we?
Old 08-19-2012   #40
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
IR Posey, and that's 2 years with very little football. Because players on IR cannot practice with the team.
I did not realize that. I too was thinking they could stash Posey on the IR. Well, that changes everything & gives more weight to what Spencer was saying during the game last night about Holliday complicating the WR position.

For those that missed his comment, he suggested that the Texans may reduce the number of RB's it carries. We might have to stash Forsett, Grimes & Meggett on the PS. Is Forsett still eligible for the PS?

In any event, with Kubiak's respect for his veterans & the young guns lack of experience, I see Walter being listed as the starter & Jean/Martin coming in shortly after the first play or two. I also see Walter being inserted in when we go into a run the clock out running game due to his blocking skills.

Assuming the 3 young guns develop into bonafide starters this year, I can see the Texans letting KW walk next year.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Schaub gone after this year.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read