Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2012   #41
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

I don't know why I thought this was near the goalline, but here's Kareem's play of the day. Nearly a Troy Nolan INT, but just a few milliseconds too slow. Good read, didn't get confused by the 3 WR bunch and he covered the open man. Bravo Kjax!

Old 08-16-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Nice. A little anticipation there, kinda like he read the QBs eyes & jumped the route. Ball went right through his hands.
Old 08-16-2012   #43
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kareem has been good on the short stuff since his rookie year, but that play he made last Saturday jumping that pass was not something weve seen a lot of.

Usually he's in good position on this type of routes, but it looks like now he has gotten to the point where he makes plays on the ball.

If Kareem can take his intermediate and deep coverage to another level as well then he is a keeper for sure.

He's always been a good tackler on the edge, so he really just has a few things to work on to become a solid all around player.

And tbh he looked better than j Jo did last game. J Jo will make his plays though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Again, I don't think KJ will be any great shakes, but I do think with the current staff, he can be very servicable.
My biggest issue with Kareem has been the fact that he didn't make a lot of plays on the ball.

If he can start doing that consistently I think he can actually be more than serviceable.

He looked really confident out there. Better body posture than I've ever seen from him.

I remember his rookie year when he was always tugging on his damn face mask. Like his helmet didn't fit right or something. He looked completely uncomfortable. I haven't seen him doing that lately.

He looks like a real player now.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #45
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I don't know why I thought this was near the goalline, but here's Kareem's play of the day. Nearly a Troy Nolan INT, but just a few milliseconds too slow. Good read, didn't get confused by the 3 WR bunch and he covered the open man. Bravo Kjax!
I liked the way they executed the coverage pre-snap, and just after the snap.

Manning is manned up on Olsen, while it looks like KJ and McCain are in a matchup zone.

With the receivers crisscrossing, it looked like there was potential for some confusion there, but KJ and McCain managed to switch off seamlessly.
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #46
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really not surprised. I saw a decent CB last year, I saw improvement from year one to year two. This is why you give players a 3-4 year period to evaluate. That's all you ask for from young players is improvement year to year, that usually means they are working hard and they want to get better.

I guess we'll see, it's only pre-season. But I think he was good enough last year (obviously, Kareem still played a big role on one of the best secondaries in the NFL last year.) then any improvement is huge.

So far Kareem has only been improving his game, not regressing. Not saying the sky is the limit I'm just saying that's usually a very good thing for a player.

Nice to have the Kareem Jackson thread back!
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #47
RunninRaven
Rookie

The goal line play to me was more impressive than the one in the animated GIF posted above. For one because it was in the red zone. Two because he was on Steve Smith, a pretty damn good WR. It was a longer route too (though not the deep route that we were used to seeing him burned on in previous years) so his coverage needed to stay tight longer. KJax got his hands on the ball on that short route above, but the only reason he didn't get his hands on the ball on the goal line pass was because Cam threw it where neither he nor Smith could get the ball. To me, it looked like had Cam thrown it where Steve Smith would have had a chance, then Kareem would have had as good or better chance to pull it in because he was RIGHT there. That really impressed me.
RunninRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #48
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
KJ made strides last yr. (He didn't fall down every time a WR made a double move)

He still wasn't good enough to beat out Allen. (Scary thought)
kareem was the starter and on the field in the 4th quarter, that would certainly indicate that he beat out allen..
Old 08-16-2012   #49
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

Nearly a Kjax Pick Six .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
kareem was the starter and on the field in the 4th quarter, that would certainly indicate that he beat out allen..
They split time and no KJ wasn't always on the field in the 4th qtr. KJ has improved but lets see him at the grownups table. (Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler) rather than the kiddie table (Dan O/Gabbert/Hasselbeck/Flacco/Campbell).

I'm not ready to crown him a middle of the road CB right now. Much less a top tier CB some on the MB have said he has become. Really, to this point what has KJ done to deserve that kind of accolades?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really, to this point what has KJ done to deserve that kind of accolades?
Nothing .... a preseason game is nothing more than a glorified practice.

In my best AI impersonation: Practice man .... practice.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #52
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They split time and no KJ wasn't always on the field in the 4th qtr. KJ has improved but lets see him at the grownups table. (Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler) rather than the kiddie table (Dan O/Gabbert/Hasselbeck/Flacco/Campbell).

I'm not ready to crown him a middle of the road CB right now. Much less a top tier CB some on the MB have said he has become. Really, to this point what has KJ done to deserve that kind of accolades?
Who's calling him a top tier CB?
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #53
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. Kareem plays the run very well and has always been solid around the line of scrimmage. If he can get his head around and make plays on the ball down the field, he can be a solid all around corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kareem has been good on the short stuff since his rookie year, but that play he made last Saturday jumping that pass was not something weve seen a lot of.

Usually he's in good position on this type of routes, but it looks like now he has gotten to the point where he makes plays on the ball.

If Kareem can take his intermediate and deep coverage to another level as well then he is a keeper for sure.

He's always been a good tackler on the edge, so he really just has a few things to work on to become a solid all around player.

And tbh he looked better than j Jo did last game. J Jo will make his plays though.
jradMIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
I liked the way they executed the coverage pre-snap, and just after the snap.

Manning is manned up on Olsen, while it looks like KJ and McCain are in a matchup zone.

With the receivers crisscrossing, it looked like there was potential for some confusion there, but KJ and McCain managed to switch off seamlessly.
Agreed but if Olsen had done a button hook coming back he would have been wide open.
Old 08-16-2012   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know about that...

Well, not from my perspective at least...

I thought Chris Meyers had talent since day one. I thought he fit what we needed out of the position to a T.

I think Kareem has just flat out gotten better. Maybe we can say the same thing about Meyers, bu tI think the improvement in Kareem is more dramatic...

JMO...
Well, Myers already had 3 years in the league before he joined the Texans in 08.

He didn't get to play on the line until his last year in Denver, so if he had talent since day one, we wouldn't know.

Myers now have had 7 years in the league as compared to just two for Jackson.

If Kareem's improvement is as dramatic as you think, it bodes very well for him and his future, so that's all good.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #56
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait to witness the crow feast this year. I, like many others, have constantly said to have patience. Kareem's last 3 or so games last year, he looked very serviceable to almost above average. Seeing the first preseason game, I'd say he's still on track for continued improvement. I know many of you are man enough to own up to your Crow stew you've been brewing, and by the end of the season, you will be feasting on crow like the 2 weeks of turkey following Thanksgiving!
Old 08-16-2012   #57
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Agreed but if Olsen had done a button hook coming back he would have been wide open.
And he would have not got the first down, or lost yardage, as KJax would have closed out just the same. I notice a lot of times our db's don't press, and they'll give you a little room. You hook back and they will come up and make the play. If your "IF" scenario would have played out, it would have still been to our advantage.
Old 08-16-2012   #58
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how Kareem broke to the ball on that play. Granted it was just one play but it showed that he's starting to understand and anticipate routes. Remember he's a great tackler for a corner back and is good at getting off blocks and stopping the run. Brandon Harris made a few plays and with that competition it will be interesting who makes this 53 man roster.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

I'm not ready to crown him a middle of the road CB right now. Much less a top tier CB some on the MB have said he has become.
I think you're seeing things.
Old 08-16-2012   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I'm really not surprised. I saw a decent CB last year, I saw improvement from year one to year two. This is why you give players a 3-4 year period to evaluate. That's all you ask for from young players is improvement year to year, that usually means they are working hard and they want to get better.

I guess we'll see, it's only pre-season. But I think he was good enough last year (obviously, Kareem still played a big role on one of the best secondaries in the NFL last year.) then any improvement is huge.

So far Kareem has only been improving his game, not regressing. Not saying the sky is the limit I'm just saying that's usually a very good thing for a player.

Nice to have the Kareem Jackson thread back!
When you are trying to have a winning season, the first round pick needs to contribute immediately. Now we have a deeper team and can allow high picks like Posey to sit and learn. Two different scenarios. I truly believe Wade Phillips would not have selected KJ if he had been the DC. Guess we never will know.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read