Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-14-2012   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andrew Gardner-OT

I hope I have this right, please feel free to correct me if this is wrong. When Duane Brown came out of the game at the end of the 1st quarter, Andrew Gardner filled in at LT for the last 3 quarters of the game. If I remember correctly he looked pretty good doing so. I'd like others opinions on how you think Gardner did filling in at LT? Thanks.

Also your opinion on Derek Newton filling in for Butler at RT?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

He really impressed me, as stated in another thread. His footwork and ability to get to the ground surprised me. Of course, it was one game, but will be watching intently in games 2 & 3.
Old 08-14-2012   #3
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: Andrew Gardner-OT

Gardner was pretty decent, not sure if he'll make the roster since we usually only carry three OTs. Not to mention he played at Georgia Tech in the Wing T system, which is basically run 90% of the time or so. Not sure how well he is in pass protection.

Eh, not sure about Derek Newton, he got destroyed by one of the DT/DE that caused Schaub's interception.
Old 08-14-2012   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

He stood out at TC for being the tallest OL we had, looked like he weighed around 300.
Old 08-15-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gardner impressed me as well because I remember wanting him in the late rounds of the draft a couple years ago, he was listed as an OG. He's still listed as an OG on the Texans roster so I was surprised to see him playing at LT and was surprised that he did so well at the position. I know that we don't normally carry more than 3 OT's but I'm thinking this guy can play OG as well making him more versatile and valuable. I like the depth we're finally getting on the O-line with Gardner, Newton, S. Smith, Brooks, and Jones. I'm not sure if we'll carry 10 O-linemen on the roster but hate to lose any one of them since I think they all show some real potential. I think it actually will come down to S. Smith or Gardner as odd man out.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gardner had a very solid game.
He had a few sub-par plays, but so did most everybody.

It's a good sign, but let's not forget that he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers for the most part.
(Same goes for Shelley Smith at LG; however, Smith had a better game.)

Menkins played the 4th quarter at LT.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Gardner was pretty decent, not sure if he'll make the roster since we usually only carry three OTs. Not to mention he played at Georgia Tech in the Wing T system, which is basically run 90% of the time or so. Not sure how well he is in pass protection.

Eh, not sure about Derek Newton, he got destroyed by one of the DT/DE that caused Schaub's interception.
No. If that was Newton he didn't get destroyed. He actually managed to push his man into the unblocked CB that was coming on a blitz and give Schaub a little bit more time. Not enough obviously, but more than he would have had.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read