Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2012   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

I'm sure they are going to try to wiggle Brandon Harris on the field one way or another. It will most likely cost Kareem some playing time, but I don't think that will reflect negatively on Kj uncles it's close to the 50-50 split he had with Allen.

I don't think Kareem is a star by any means. I don't see him as a play maker but I think he's a very good cover guy right now, so we'll see.
Old 08-15-2012   #22
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
He was really bad his first year, now he's much better as anyone can see. Whatever the reason for his first year woes and his improvement since we can talk about all day long I suppose. But it does sound like he's turning into a good corner, and we need that, so good for him.
Chris Myers part deux!

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...yers+part+deux
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was really bad his first year, now he's much better as anyone can see. Whatever the reason for his first year woes and his improvement since we can talk about all day long I suppose. But it does sound like he's turning into a good corner, and we need that, so good for him.
I think its a combination of all those things in no particular order - Coaching , Confidence , Pass rush , Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't see him as a play maker but I think he's a very good cover guy right now, so we'll see.
You might have to rethink that statement .... He's looking for the ball now rather than looking like Ball who never looks for the ball .... and thats how a CB makes plays rather than just giving up yards and making a tackle after.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #24
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

KJ made strides last yr. (He didn't fall down every time a WR made a double move)

He still wasn't good enough to beat out Allen. (Scary thought)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #25
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know about that...

Well, not from my perspective at least...

I thought Chris Meyers had talent since day one. I thought he fit what we needed out of the position to a T.

I think Kareem has just flat out gotten better. Maybe we can say the same thing about Meyers, bu tI think the improvement in Kareem is more dramatic...

JMO...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know about that...

Well, not from my perspective at least...

I thought Chris Meyers had talent since day one. I thought he fit what we needed out of the position to a T.

I think Kareem has just flat out gotten better. Maybe we can say the same thing about Meyers, bu tI think the improvement in Kareem is more dramatic...

JMO...
I belileve that's his point. 76 has been a supporter of Meyers from day one, way before we had one of the better OL in the league. Based on consistently doing what he was asked to do, 76 knew once the rest of the team matched Meyers level of consistency, we'd have a solid OL. Some people focused on Kris Jenkins tossing Meyers... 'duh, Jenkins tossed everybody.

Based on what the Texans said they were looking for when they drafted Kj, 76 has confirmed that everything they said was there. He played like a rookie on a team that had serious issues. He looked like a rookie.

But Kj consistently did his job. Once the safety play got better, once the LBs got better, once the pass rush got better, Kj "looked" a lot better. No doubt, that Kj has to get better, but it's no different for him than any other player in the league. If they are not getting better, they're getting replaced.

76 doesn't look at just the individual players, but how they fit in the concept to what the team is trying to do. Like your input in that other thread, where you pointed out that both tackles went for the DEs knees to get their hands down to facilitate a quick release... instead of getting on Butler for doing his job, you put the focus on Matt's decision making, which was the main issue in that particular play.

You & 76. If people would listen, we'd all improve our football intelligence.
Old 08-15-2012   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in late on this convo and didn't have a chance to read the whole thread. That said, I admit to raking Kareem over the coals. That said, he was much improved last year, even in a platoon situation.

Could've it been a situation where during his rookie season that the coaching was so horrible, he sucked so bad? Afterall, this is a guy who was a pretty good player in the SEC at Alabama. Maybe, if coached up properly by Vance Johnson, could he turn into a servicable, if not, more than servicable CB???

In the end, I'm willing to let it play out.
Old 08-15-2012   #28
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm in late on this convo and didn't have a chance to read the whole thread. That said, I admit to raking Kareem over the coals. That said, he was much improved last year, even in a platoon situation.

Could've it been a situation where during his rookie season that the coaching was so horrible, he sucked so bad? Afterall, this is a guy who was a pretty good player in the SEC at Alabama. Maybe, if coached up properly by Vance Johnson, could he turn into a servicable, if not, more than servicable CB???

In the end, I'm willing to let it play out.
IBT Kareem lovers say I told you so

I told you so.......
Old 08-15-2012   #29
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post

I told you so.......
HA!! Yeah, I was actually stoked whenever the Texans drafted him... Then, and only then his rookie season was sh!te!! Then again, that was a time when the Texans "D" staff was crap.

Again, I don't think KJ will be any great shakes, but I do think with the current staff, he can be very servicable.
Old 08-15-2012   #30
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Show me someone on our defense his rookie year that wasn't bad, we couldn't get pressure if our life depended on it. His bad year was even worse cause our front 7 couldn't pressure anyone..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Chris Myers part deux!
Exactly. Myers finally got it. Kareem's improvement comes from hard work, better coaching, experience, and the right system. System is big. Ask Jason Babin.

It takes a lot of character to push past widely help perceptions and will yourself to another level of play. Kudos to KJ if he gets to the level of solid, middle-of-the-pack CB this year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #32
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedTexans View Post

I told you so.......
Told ya so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Show me someone on our defense his rookie year that wasn't bad, we couldn't get pressure if our life depended on it. His bad year was even worse cause our front 7 couldn't pressure anyone..
Brian Cushing DROY?
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #33
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
HA!! Yeah, I was actually stoked whenever the Texans drafted him... Then, and only then his rookie season was sh!te!! Then again, that was a time when the Texans "D" staff was crap.

Again, I don't think KJ will be any great shakes, but I do think with the current staff, he can be very servicable.
I wasn't stoked about the pick , as a matter of fact I hated the pick ( like all the first rounders since 08). The thing that i like the most about Kareem is his tough skin . I think he feed off that ,used it and you can see he's put in the work to become a better player.
Old 08-15-2012   #34
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Told ya so...

Brian Cushing DROY?
Cushing was suspended because of PEDs to start the year. It could even be said he had a down year after his suspension (at least compared to his ROY campaign). Demeco Ryans went down midseason and missed the final ten games. The secondary was awful the entire year. I actually don't know if there were any bright spots on the defense in 2010.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

Like you said, we had a lot of issues in 2010, Frank Bush just wasn't well equipped (between the ears) to compensate. Where Wade has the experience to know you gotta keep doing what you're good at despite whatever complications that pop up.

KJ is not the next coming of Deon. I get the feeling that is what many of us expect. But I Think he is going to be a fine cover corner. More like Namdi, where QBs just don't throw his way.

If h is looking for the ball now, like it's been stated he is going to have a fin year. But since he doesn't get many interceptions ( even going back to his college days) he''ll get overshadowed by Manning & Jjo.
Old 08-15-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Told ya so...

Brian Cushing DROY?
I think he meant anyone who was good in 2010, Kareem's rookie year. Wehad the 30th ranked defense. Last in pass defense.
Old 08-15-2012   #37
kingh99

The way this team brings the heat, watch our corners start jumping the short out routes. I see pick six runs backs in our future. If our QB learns how to take a step up in the pocket, we can go all the way. Our defense will take the ball away and our offense will chew clock. It should be smothering. Up to Schaub and the O line to get us there but it's starting to feel inevitable like when the Rockets went on their mid 90's run. You think, this is Houston, snake bit city. Something bad will happen. Felt that way with the Rockets but they just powered through the fear and uncertainty and took it.
Old 08-15-2012   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
The way this team brings the heat, watch our corners start jumping the short out routes. I see pick six runs backs in our future. If our QB learns how to take a step up in the pocket, we can go all the way. Our defense will take the ball away and our offense will chew clock. It should be smothering. Up to Schaub and the O line to get us there but it's starting to feel inevitable like when the Rockets went on their mid 90's run. You think, this is Houston, snake bit city. Something bad will happen. Felt that way with the Rockets but they just powered through the fear and uncertainty and took it.
If it feels like it's going to happen. Rent assured, it won't. Last few super bowl champs were improbable options. Both the Packers & Giants went into the post season at 9-7
Old 08-15-2012   #39
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
As does the Son of Bum.
As does all the pressure our line puts on opposing QBs
Old 08-15-2012   #40
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
If it feels like it's going to happen. Rent assured, it won't. Last few super bowl champs were improbable options. Both the Packers & Giants went into the post season at 9-7
Fair enough. Those Rockets teams got hot at the right time. They were nothing spectacular during the regular season. But then again, occasionally a one season juggernaut powers through the league. 1985 Bears come to mind. It's leap year rare, but it happens.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read