Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2012   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...f-improvement/

Quote:
Asked to be specific about Jackson, Kubiak said, ”Kareem’s very smart. His diagnosis is excellent. On the back end, you’ve got to be able to cheat on plays. You’ve got to be able to see splits and seek formations and cheat plays. Kareem’s seen enough of them now that’s he’s able to do that quite a bit, and that’s helping him make more plays.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...2-da47776ae8ab

Quote:
Quarterback Matt Schaub dropped back to pass and heaved a ball to the end zone. Jackson leapt high in the air to tip the ball with his right hand, then corralled it for a one-handed interception.

It was just one play, but it was representative of the progress that the much-maligned Jackson has made entering his third NFL season.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...son-improving/

Quote:
Kareem Jackson was borderline incompetent two seasons ago. And while he made strides last year, he still had to split time at cornerback with Jason Allen.
Soooooooooo, it's being talked about but why do I smell smoke and have the feeling something is being blown up my butt? Is Jackson really improving? Have dogs and cats started living together in harmony? What's really going on denizens of texanstalk?

Also, what do we make of him now judged against his contemporaries who went near where he did in the draft of that year (Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty)?
Old 08-15-2012   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

He made one good play on the ball near the goalline that resulted in a pass defended. Other than that, I can't recall him even making a tackle in that game. Not sure if that's because he was doing well, or Cam was under too much pressure, or if it's because the Panther's WRs are 35 years old. In any case, I didn't see him get beat or miss an assignment in the 10 or so plays he was out there.
Old 08-15-2012   #3
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Part of the problem here is that some people expected too much of Kareem his rookie year. Progression and improvement are expected out of NFL players, especially early in their careers.

So, Kareem is improving. Good for him and good for the Houston Texans.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Other than the first half of his rookie campaign, KJ has had a quality NFL career and has made steady, visible improvement since he arrived. People are still hung up over those first disastrously bad games during his rookie year, where he was seemingly giving up 100+ yards a game. The player that finished 2010 was very different from the one who started it. Last year, Kareem made a lot of improvements under the new regime and in limited action this TC and preseason he looks like he's only getting better.

I don't think he has the athletic ability or instincts to ever be an elite corner, but he is starting to look like the kind of player who deserved to be picked in the first round.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 62881 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning and Joseph on the field makes Kareem better.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65390 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He made one good play on the ball near the goalline that resulted in a pass defended. Other than that, I can't recall him even making a tackle in that game. Not sure if that's because he was doing well, or Cam was under too much pressure, or if it's because the Panther's WRs are 35 years old. In any case, I didn't see him get beat or miss an assignment in the 10 or so plays he was out there.
Most of the improvement seems to be of the variety that happens Tuesday's through Friday's. I know that when Ajiratutu played with San Diego in 2010 he beat Jackson like a drum. He was out there for Carolina on Saturday and was relatively quiet.
Old 08-15-2012   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of CBs have a tendency to struggle their first couple of years in the league. KJ has made a lot of improvement. I want to see him perform this year, but I suspect he's developed into an at least serviceable #2.

OTOH, I was never in the "I hate KJ" section of the board.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
A lot of CBs have a tendency to struggle their first couple of years in the league. KJ has made a lot of improvement. I want to see him perform this year, but I suspect he's developed into an at least serviceable #2.

OTOH, I was never in the "I hate KJ" section of the board.
I wasn't really either. Other than a blast every now and then his rookie year, of course.

I don't think he'll ever really be a shutdown CB like JJo. I do, however, see him as no longer being a QBs savior when a CB like JJo shuts down their 1st option. Which is fine by me as long as a JJo is on the other side.
Old 08-15-2012   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
On the third play of the game, KJ perfectly read the play and had a pick 6 if could have held onto the ball. The only other time the ball was thrown his way was in the endzone where he defended Smith perfectly. Kareem was our best corner in last week.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #10
mokalus
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 mokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respectedmokalus is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's all just be cautiously optimistic about Kareem's improvement. From what I'm reading/hearing, at least it sounds like he understands the concept of needing to see the ball in order to make a play on it. That's a start...
mokalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #11
b0ng
Ooops

I think hating KJ for that godawful rookie year isn't too unfair, he was really bad.
Old 08-15-2012   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Soooooooooo, it's being talked about but why do I smell smoke and have the feeling something is being blown up my butt? Is Jackson really improving? Have dogs and cats started living together in harmony? What's really going on denizens of texanstalk?

Also, what do we make of him now judged against his contemporaries who went near where he did in the draft of that year (Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty)?
Kyle Wilson played in the slot his rookie season. He split time with Cromartie last year, he'll probably start in 2012 as Cro will be playing WR... The Jet's defense was top 3 (I think) when Kyle was a rookie... I don't think they were in the top 10 when he played more at the #2 spot.... I don't think it was his fault, that's not my point.

Devin McCourty was on one of the worst defenses last season. He got bumped from CB to Safety & moved back to CB on a game to game basis.

But we're talking about how much Kareem has to improve. As if Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Joe Haden, or Patrick Peterson don't.

This is Kareem's 3rd year, so I expect him to look average. Maybe worse, as he'll get picked on a lot. But, no one should expect any more. Patrick Peterson is going to look average as a CB, Joe Haden is going to look average... but may not get picked on as much because he has one opposite him.

In previous years, if I'm his DB coach, I'm telling him, "In this situation I want you lined up like this & to play it like that.... In those situations, you need to be here & look for this, that, and be prepared for.... "

This year, I'm not going to be telling him anything, instead I'm going to be asking him, "Why did you do this here, but that there.. what did you see on this play, what were you thinking on that play... did you see this over here, how did that affect your decision? "

Playing CB is not as easy as they make it look.

We love McCain, hate Kareem, but Wade has put Kareem on the field more often.

Hmm....
Old 08-15-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was probably most outspoken critic of drafting KJ. Thought he was not the type we needed. I think his improvement is due to his coaches. He has size and ok speed but had trouble in "bump & run" coverage. He tried to knock WR off balance but missed and had "uh,oh" moments. We often saw KJ playing catchup or sometimes on ground. I did not see that as much late last season or so far this one.
Old 08-15-2012   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to venture that it's a combination of experience and coaching.

He's a good player on a short field, he's just exposed when he has to run with receivers (see SD and NYJ games from his rookie year). So, with him gaining years of experience on how best to leverage his strengths along with Wade, Vance, and company helping to best illuminate those strengths while hiding his weaknesses (i.e. persistent safety help over the top), you get what we have today.
Old 08-15-2012   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't fully buy into his "progress" just based on one game in preseason vs. the Panthers. I won't get over-geeked about Andrew Luck vs. the Rams defense...so I also won't get silly over Kareem's game vs. the Panthers.

In year 1, he looked lost and completely overwhelmed by the jump in competition from his days in the SEC to now being in the NFL.

In year 2, he looked discouraged...sharing time with Jason Allen had to be a hit to his ego, especially with J Jo locking down the CB1 position and there's Kareem with a chaperone every Sunday.

Year 3? Maybe this is the year he figures (a) I'm not a rookie, and (b) I don't need a chaperone every Sunday. Maybe this is the year it all comes together for him. I hope so.

Because that Ball dude at CB2 scares the living **** out of me in ways I never knew existed.
Old 08-15-2012   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Manning and Joseph on the field makes Kareem better.
As does the Son of Bum.
Old 08-15-2012   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
On the third play of the game, KJ perfectly read the play and had a pick 6 if could have held onto the ball. The only other time the ball was thrown his way was in the endzone where he defended Smith perfectly. Kareem was our best corner in last week.
Yes, that would be his good play near the goalline, however it was the only stat he recorded in the entire game. Calling him the best CB of the game is misguided though, Jonathan Joseph allowed Steve Smith 1 catch for 4 yards and Steve Smith is light years ahead of any other WR on the Panthers.

KJ had a good game, albeit only about 10 plays. It's a good start no doubt, but I want to see him more this week before I'm confident in his ability to be the #2 CB.
Old 08-15-2012   #18
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

having j-jo and manning on the field had nothing to do with the fluidity kareem showed at the cornerback position in carolina.while i agree having those two has made kareems transition a bit easier he is coming into his own this season. look, i get it, kareem has been the whipping boy by the knee jerk fans, "hes the slowest, worst, dumbest, cb in the league, complete bust. anytime he makes a positive play its because the pass rush was getting after the qb or j-jo had his man shut down." he will never get any credit..

im looking forward to the combo of j-jo and kjax being one of the better 1-2s this year at the position.. this defense is stacked..
Old 08-15-2012   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think his improvement is so improbable at all.

I do believe he was thrown into the fire before he was ready and the fact that there was zero pass rush that first season didnt help.

He only had one bad quarter last season when Drew Brees picked on him constantly .... but Brees being an elite QB can make an awful low of CB's look bad.

Now they have a fantastic pass rush and he's gained valuable experience as well as confidence .... a CB with no confidence isnt going to trust his ability nor the system.

Add up the experience , confidence and pass rush .... you get a player who's had a lightbulb moment.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Add up the experience , confidence and pass rush .... you get a player who's had a lightbulb moment.
He was really bad his first year, now he's much better as anyone can see. Whatever the reason for his first year woes and his improvement since we can talk about all day long I suppose. But it does sound like he's turning into a good corner, and we need that, so good for him.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read