Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-14-2012   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eli Manning: I知 not better than Peyton ..

Quote:
It would have been inconceivable early in Eli Manning痴 career that anyone would suggest he was a better quarterback than his older brother. But now that Eli has won his second Super Bowl MVP award, he acknowledges that people sometimes tell him he痴 better than Peyton.

的 correct them very quickly, Eli told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports.

In a wide-ranging interview with Cole, Eli talks about the sibling rivalry that he has never allowed to be a rivalry at all, saying that he has never considered himself better than Peyton and never been motivated by a desire to outdo the brother who was a high school star before him, a college star before him, a No. 1 draft pick before him, a Pro Bowler before him and a Super Bowl MVP before him.

的致e never tried to compete with Peyton, Eli said. 的 never tried to say I need to be better than him. I致e accepted at times that I wasn稚 maybe as good as him because he was the No. 1 high school player in the country. In college, he was going to be the first pick in the draft, so if I tried to go out there and be the same person and be better than him or the same person as him, I知 going to drive myself crazy. I知 going to go out and be the best quarterback I can be and get the most out of my potential. If that痴 better than him, great. If it痴 not, so be it.
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8cC4?u...m_campaign=nfl

How can you not like this guy? Mechanically Peyton is the better QB. Peyton is a machine on Sundays. However Peyton tends to get emotional and if there is a flaw in his game it would be that. Eli doesn't and that is probably why he is more clutch and just a winner. He is also doing it in NYC where the media pressure is off the charts. Come playoff time I am taking Eli over Peyton every time.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eli Manning: I知 not better than Peyton ..

If I remember correctly, they've both stated at one time or another that Cooper was the better athlete of the bunch before being diagnosed with the spine problem. I think he was a top-rated recruit as a WR.

Like I said in another thread, I think Peyton's a good guy. I'd extend that to the rest of the Manning family too. A well raised bunch. Eli always seems to have that 'awe gee whiz' look on his face though. Ha
Old 08-14-2012   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

For all the stats, awards, and accolades, Peyton Manning still suffers in the big game. It's a team game, but very few QBs before him ever had the entire team built around him and for him the way that Peyton Manning has. Yet for all that, he won a single Super Bowl during a period when he was flat out the most prolific QB in the game.

Eli, on the other hand, does not have the stats, the awards, or the accolades, but he has his ego in check enough to allow a winning team to be built around him, and he has the perfect balance of humility and self assurance to thrive in a place like New York. When the stage is brightest, he steps up. Ultimately, that is what you want in your QB, IMO. "Stats are for losers" is a cliche, but like all cliches, it's rooted in reality.
Old 08-14-2012   #4
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Ultimately, that is what you want in your QB, IMO. "Stats are for losers" is a cliche, but like all cliches, it's rooted in reality.
Agreed. I threw that out there when my nephew was trying to convince me that Romo is better than Eli based on stats.
Old 08-14-2012   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Agreed. I threw that out there when my nephew was trying to convince me that Romo is better than Eli based on stats.
You should be concerned that your nephew may have a drug problem if he thinks Romo is better than Eli.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Both Mannings are badass QBs and I consider both to be elite and destined for the HoF.

If I had to choose just one, though, knowing what I know, I'd pick Eli. Dude is clutch, and with two rings and two SB MVPs, he's not a fluke.
Old 08-14-2012   #7
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

And that is why I also love to tell folks who think Eli is overrated to STHU... He is a winner..plain and simple. Does he have numbers, no, not really..Sure, he looks kindda goofy, so what..and that's what a lot of Dallas fans I know think of him, so he is goofy looking, as long as he doesn't lose the Giants a game in the 4th qtr., I could not care less how goofy he looks...he just wins!

And for all Dallas fan, sure Romo has the stats..won't argue that he isn't a good QB, he is, but clutch, he's about as clutch as the Rockets mascot !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2012   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
You should be concerned that your nephew may have a drug problem if he thinks Romo is better than Eli.
I really don't think they are that far apart. Romo gets a bad rap, but his O-line has been terrible his whole career, and he really hasn't ever had a consistent run game. Statistically, Romo is a 96.9 passer rating over his career, Eli is only an 82.1. Romo has a much better TD/INT ratio too. I think they are both second tier QBs in the league, and are very close in regard to talent.

Put Romo or Eli on the Texans this year instead of Schaub and we would instantly be Super Bowl favorites.
Old 08-14-2012   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dude is clutch, and with two rings and two SB MVPs, he's not a fluke.
OK maybe this is only terminology but yeah he is kind of a fluke and in saying that I really am not trying to put him down.

But c'mon the signature moment of his first "MVP" performance was a badly thrown pass miraculously caught by a WR who would be deemed not good enough to make the team the next year. That's a fluke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I really don't think they are that far apart. Romo gets a bad rap, but his O-line has been terrible his whole career, and he really hasn't ever had a consistent run game. Statistically, Romo is a 96.9 passer rating over his career, Eli is only an 82.1. Romo has a much better TD/INT ratio too. I think they are both second tier QBs in the league, and are very close in regard to talent.

Put Romo or Eli on the Texans this year instead of Schaub and we would instantly be Super Bowl favorites.
I was there with you until you threw Schaub and his 92.2 QB rating under the bus.
Old 08-14-2012   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
OK maybe this is only terminology but yeah he is kind of a fluke and in saying that I really am not trying to put him down.

But c'mon the signature moment of his first "MVP" performance was a badly thrown pass miraculously caught by a WR who would be deemed not good enough to make the team the next year. That's a fluke.

I was there with you until you threw Schaub and his 92.2 QB rating under the bus.
It's not his ability I'm worried about, it's his body. I just don't trust him to make it through 19 games. Eli hasn't missed a game as far as I know, and Romo missed his first start two years ago with the shoulder injury. Both have much much much better track records.
Old 08-14-2012   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Statistically, Romo is a 96.9 passer rating over his career, Eli is only an 82.1. Romo has a much better TD/INT ratio too. I think they are both second tier QBs in the league, and are very close in regard to talent.
Quote:
"Stats are for losers" is a cliche, but like all cliches, it's rooted in reality.
Not directed at you Dutch .. however it's all about winning and losing and that is the only stat that matters. Romo is a choke artist and this team (Texans) would not be better off with Romo. I take a healthy Schaub any day ... and I am not a huge fan of Schaub.
Old 08-14-2012   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not his ability I'm worried about, it's his body. I just don't trust him to make it through 19 games. Eli hasn't missed a game as far as I know, and Romo missed his first start two years ago with the shoulder injury. Both have much much much better track records.
OK - from that perspective I understand. Injuries are so fluky I tend to put them aside.
Old 08-14-2012   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Not directed at you Dutch .. however it's all about winning and losing and that is the only stat that matters. Romo is a choke artist and this team (Texans) would not be better off with Romo. I take a healthy Schaub any day ... and I am not a huge fan of Schaub.
I'll take Peyton over Eli any day, regardless of their stats. There is a massive difference between the two of them when it comes to playing QB. A great coach will do well with either of them though.

I'd take Romo over Schaub as well. I'm not saying there is a huge gap between the two, but Romo has just as much to his resume as Schaub does, with fewer injuries. He doesn't have the help of an Arian Foster on his team and his O-line is significantly worse. He finally gets a quality LT on the team this year, and then he posts a personal best 102 passer rating. Coincidence? Maybe...

Anyways, I think Romo is better than he is perceived to be around here. Partly because he's the QB of our rival, and partly because people just don't like him.
Old 08-14-2012   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

People saying they'd take Eli over Peydon?? Lol!! Talk about being complete prisoners of the moment. Eli isn't even close.

ANd I'm normally the guy that will argue against Peydon when people are trying to act like he is the best around, but Eli has never been an elite player in this league ever. Maybe he can change that notion going forward, but no one was suggesting that he was elite before the playoffs started last season. Hell, the season before last he threw over 20 INT's. Very good QB, but to suggest that he is better than Peydon all of a sudden doesn't even really warrant an argument as far as I'm concerned.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #15
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anyways, I think Romo is better than he is perceived to be around here. Partly because he's the QB of our rival, and partly because people just don't like him.
And partly because when the spotlight is brightest, he chokes.
Old 08-14-2012   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you say that about Romo, than you could just as equally say that about Schaub.

And I don't think that either one is a choker.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd take Romo over Schaub as well. I'm not saying there is a huge gap between the two, but Romo has just as much to his resume as Schaub does, with fewer injuries. He doesn't have the help of an Arian Foster on his team and his O-line is significantly worse. He finally gets a quality LT on the team this year, and then he posts a personal best 102 passer rating. Coincidence? Maybe...

Old 08-14-2012   #18
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Warren Moon anyone? HOF, stats out the wazzoo, however what did it amount too? Nothing.

P.S. Looking at my sig, has TJ Yates caught up to Moon yet in the playoff win category?
Old 08-14-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If you say that about Romo, than you could just as equally say that about Schaub.

And I don't think that either one is a choker.
Romo has done more to choke away important games for the Cowboys than Schaub has for the Texans. There's a difference between the team not getting the job done and a player individually choking away opportunities that hurt the team. The fumbled snap in the Cowboys playoff loss is just one example. Even Warren Moon, who didn't win anything of note, didn't exactly choke away 35-3 or the following year vs. KC - the defense didn't hold up. You can argue that Moon didn't do enough, but he didn't go out and throw the game losing INT, like Romo has done. Schaub has a few chokes, a few clutch victories, and zero important games, so it doesn't matter. Romo has played on the big stage, and not well. Peyton has played on the big stage repeatedly, dating all the way back to college. And he hasn't done particularly well short of the one SB win. Eli has played on the big stage a couple times and he's been nails.

I have no dog in this hunt, TBH. Eli is not my guy, and I don't care one way or another about him. But Peyton Manning is the football equivalent of the Atlanta Braves.
Old 08-14-2012   #20
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
But Peyton Manning is the football equivalent of the Atlanta Braves.
That's actually an excellent analogy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read