Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2012   #1
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bradie James says Wade's D is different in HOU

HOUSTON -- Heís a starter, a situational player and a newcomer all wrapped up into one.

This could make the role Bradie James inherited with the Houston Texans sort of complicated.

Itís not, however -- because heís a veteran coming into a good defense who knows the coordinator and the scheme, and has an approach thatís prompted new teammates to accept him quickly.

James is the starting inside linebacker who plays next to Brian Cushing, but will leave the field when the Texans shift to nickel, a set they played 40.7 percent of the time last season.

A little write up by Paul Kuharsky referencing changes in Wade's D from Dallas to the Texans. I found it interesting. Hope you do as well.

Here is the rest of the story.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bradie James says Wade's D is different in HOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
HOUSTON -- Heís a starter, a situational player and a newcomer all wrapped up into one.

This could make the role Bradie James inherited with the Houston Texans sort of complicated.

Itís not, however -- because heís a veteran coming into a good defense who knows the coordinator and the scheme, and has an approach thatís prompted new teammates to accept him quickly.

James is the starting inside linebacker who plays next to Brian Cushing, but will leave the field when the Texans shift to nickel, a set they played 40.7 percent of the time last season.

A little write up by Paul Kuharsky referencing changes in Wade's D from Dallas to the Texans. I found it interesting. Hope you do as well.

Here is the rest of the story.
MSR. Nice find. James relates where the talent behind Wade really lies........adapting to his personel.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #3
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
MSR. Nice find. James relates where the talent behind Wade really lies........adapting to his personel.
Got him.
Old 08-13-2012   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep your way if it lets me.

I loved this tidbit from the article:

Quote:
James said he was actually a bit surprised by the degree of the changes and what they are, but declined to offer even a minor example of one.
LOL. That's right, Kuharsky...Bradie James isn't going to elaborate on what we do and how we do it.
Old 08-13-2012   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Rep your way if it lets me.

I loved this tidbit from the article:

LOL. That's right, Kuharsky...Bradie James isn't going to elaborate on what we do and how we do it.
HA!! Kuharsky, like I give a flip about your Titan (= Inbred eating children of your Uranus) covering A weak-ass excuse for an BSPN blogger for the AFC South has to think!!

Then again, it could be worse! BSPN could have John McClain blogging which would be even more Tinnbred eccentric than Kuharssky!!

WOW!! We play in a bad division, with the worst bloggers!! SMH!
Old 08-13-2012   #6
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is the other nickle LB next too Cushing?
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Who is the other nickle LB next too Cushing?
Are you asking about an inside LB next to Cush with a nickle "D"?

A: Nobody!.. This is why DeMeco is gone. DeMeco was off the field last year on passing downs when the Texans had to go to the "nickel", which meant he played and was payed for a guy that played two downs a series.

The defense will look more like a 5-1-5 or a 5-2-4 depending on the blitz package.. Other than than, that I wouldn't worry about it too much!!!

*EDIT*
This answer is based off what I guessed your question was. If not, no worries!!!
Old 08-13-2012   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Are you asking about an inside LB next to Cush with a nickle "D"?

A: Nobody!.. This is why DeMeco is gone. DeMeco was off the field last year on passing downs when the Texans had to go to the "nickel", which meant he played and was payed for a guy that played two downs a series.

The defense will look more like a 5-1-5 or a 5-2-4 depending on the blitz package.. Other than than, that I wouldn't worry about it too much!!!

*EDIT*
This answer is based off what I guessed your question was. If not, no worries!!!
Personally, I've always looked at this defense as more of a 5-2 variation where the OLBs are really, effectively lineman whose main job is to rush the passer.

I've always figured our nickle package is a 4-2 where Cody leaves the field to be replaced by a DB, our two DEs knock down inside and our OLBs put their hands down. And then our dime package has the second ILB leave the field and we add another DB going into a 4-1 variation.

But I've never really looked at the film to verify that's what's happening. I only really remember us jumping directly from the 5-2 setup to the 4-1 (and a couple of 2-3 and possibly a 2-4 variation), without that 4-2 in-between variation. So I could be wrong. I went to take a look at it to see what we were doing in the preseason game but my internet connection is wonky right now.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Quin drops down to the other LB spot in the nickle. This is why some on the MB dont value Quins versatility as much as they should.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Personally, I've always looked at this defense as more of a 5-2 variation where the OLBs are really, effectively lineman whose main job is to rush the passer.

I've always figured our nickle package is a 4-2 where Cody leaves the field to be replaced by a DB, our two DEs knock down inside and our OLBs put their hands down. And then our dime package has the second ILB leave the field and we add another DB going into a 4-1 variation.

But I've never really looked at the film to verify that's what's happening. I only really remember us jumping directly from the 5-2 setup to the 4-1 (and a couple of 2-3 and possibly a 2-4 variation), without that 4-2 in-between variation. So I could be wrong. I went to take a look at it to see what we were doing in the preseason game but my internet connection is wonky right now.
that's pretty much exactly it, though most of the time we skip straight to a 4-1 and use either manning or quin (or both) beside cushing as linebacker/safety hybrids.
Old 08-13-2012   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I believe Quin drops down to the other LB spot in the nickle. This is why some on the MB dont value Quins versatility as much as they should.
i agree. our versatility is at the safety position and i dont know how it happened but it's now a position of strength. both quin and manning can play in the box or deep, with quin being strong in man to man coverage (wade likes him up over the tightend). since we dont have a cover linebacker outside of cushing, wade leans on our depth at DB (again, how did that happen?) to use our strengths.
Old 08-13-2012   #12
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Kuharsky always gets one on one time with players in our division around this time of year. Usually fun to read if you haven't ever checked out his AFC South Blog.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Kuharsky always gets one on one time with players in our division around this time of year. Usually fun to read if you haven't ever checked out his AFC South Blog.
Lately I've grown tired of Kuharsky.

He obviously loves his Titans, but hey...oh well, no big deal.

He usually just posts the links to McClain's stuff and Stradley's stuff, in essence doing no real work except creating a link for us to go visit the stuff we already see ourselves on our own. Gee, thanks Paul! Then again, I get it--He does this with all four teams, so we can see the quick links to the stuff about the other three teams the AFCS.

Also, his chat sessions are a farce. It involves him talking in-depth about the Titans and then spouting rehashed rhetoric about the other three teams. Sometimes his replies to people are dumb, then again the people he is answering seemingly are posing dumb questions...so it's a wash on that issue.

I'm sure it's a thankless job. He's always getting bashed, he has to come up with regular content for all four teams on almost a daily basis, etc.

It's good drive-by material when there's nothing else going on, IMO.

NOTE: Anybody notice that one of our posters griped about the lack of an updated depth chart (well into camp, btw) and then Kuharsky a few days later has a link to the depth chart posted in his blog? I wonder if Kuharsky, for his articles he posts on the four AFC S teams, made a request to get the depth chart updated. Could be coincidence, of course, but the timing was bang-bang.
Old 08-13-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Right, and they have to be athletic enough to drop into short zones on occasion

But I don't think our dime and nickel personnel vary much. If a team has three wr's McCain is on the third wr, Quinn is on the TE.

If a team has four true wr's, which is rare, I think quinn just plays the fourth wr. If he's having trouble with that fourth wr then I think we'd see a true dime package with four cb's.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall many times last year where Kareem, Allen, Joseph, and McCain were on the field together.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #15
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Lately I've grown tired of Kuharsky.

He obviously loves his Titans, but hey...oh well, no big deal.

He usually just posts the links to McClain's stuff and Stradley's stuff, in essence doing no real work except creating a link for us to go visit the stuff we already see ourselves on our own. Gee, thanks Paul! Then again, I get it--He does this with all four teams, so we can see the quick links to the stuff about the other three teams the AFCS.

Also, his chat sessions are a farce. It involves him talking in-depth about the Titans and then spouting rehashed rhetoric about the other three teams. Sometimes his replies to people are dumb, then again the people he is answering seemingly are posing dumb questions...so it's a wash on that issue.

I'm sure it's a thankless job. He's always getting bashed, he has to come up with regular content for all four teams on almost a daily basis, etc.

It's good drive-by material when there's nothing else going on, IMO.

NOTE: Anybody notice that one of our posters griped about the lack of an updated depth chart (well into camp, btw) and then Kuharsky a few days later has a link to the depth chart posted in his blog? I wonder if Kuharsky, for his articles he posts on the four AFC S teams, made a request to get the depth chart updated. Could be coincidence, of course, but the timing was bang-bang.
I more or less agree with what you said. I'm just saying that his takes in the pre-season/training camp time of year can be interesting. He is certainly trying to get rid of his long-time Titan bias, but it still shows at times.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #16
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see some Nickle looks where Mercilous plays opposite Barwin at DE and Brooks blitzes from the other LB spot opposite Cushing. Allows Quinn to focus at Safety and get another pass rusher on the field.

RE-Barwin
DT-Antonio Smith
DT- JJ Watt
LE- Whitney Mercilous
LB-Brooks
LB-Cushing
S-Glover Quin
S-Daniel Manning
CB1-Joseph
CB2-Jackson
CB3-Brice
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My quick version is that Texans blitz (especially from edges) much more than Dallas defense did. In addition, the Texans DLmen (Dt,NT) as a group are better pass rushers and stunters while the personnel in Dallas were better at base defense run stopping. Wade, while having basic concepts he likes, truly adapts his scheme to personnel.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read