Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2012   #41
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Holliday's chances at making the team

My question is, why haven't we put Forsett out there at returner? If Holliday doesn't make the squad, I think we should give Forsett a shot... that is, if HE makes the team.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #42
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
My question is, why haven't we put Forsett out there at returner? If Holliday doesn't make the squad, I think we should give Forsett a shot... that is, if HE makes the team.
And this is going to be the defining issue. Can Holliday stand so far out as a Kick/Punt returner that we are going to use a roster spot on him for just that one duty? Or, do we have someone that can return punts and kickoffs (probably not quite as good though) but that can also legitimately play another position?

Holliday is not going to legitimately play another position. He's to damn small. He makes the team because he's so damn good at returns he's worth a spot on the roster. Or not. This is the same deal as it's always been, it's just this year Holiday is showing us something.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #43
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

His chances to make the team ? Still slim .... but better than past years.

May come down to how many they keep at other positions. QB , RB , WR and OL are all area's that are in question. Keeping an extra at any of those spots would be a luxury that may affect his chances.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Funny, he wouldn't have mentioned that the blocking for Holliday wasn't there all night and that Holliday made most of what he got. The only positive thing I could say about the return blocking.........there weren't any signature Marciano special teams blocks in the back last night.
Casey grabbing and pulling his man out of the way for Holliday's TD return wasn't a signature block? Ha. Casey got lucky
Old 08-13-2012   #45
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Holliday not only has to continue to show special talent in the return game, he has to beat out the other potential return guys who can play an offensive position. If Keshawn Martin comes in and impresses at KR/PR then that's the end of the road for Holliday.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #46
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Holliday or a 2nd string FB like Moran Norris? Casey makes it possible...to go with no FBs that is.

This is all assuming Holliday can continue his success when the competition amps up.

And 3 years later....I'm STILL wondering why not give him a look as a RB. So small, so fast...he would be like lightning coming through or around a line.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Just go with four RBs, have Grimes be the returner. Roster problems solved.

I don't want a return-only guy on the roster. I want the roster maximized, and holding a spot in the 53 for a return man is not prudent...whether Holliday is legit or not.

He untested. And now is not the time to test it out.

The same with Bullock. There isn't room for us to test out a rookie FG kicker. If Graham makes his kicks this preseason, give me the veteran who has been there done that. There's no room to experiment anymore.

But if Holliday makes the 53, I'll support the decision and rally 'round him. I just think we need every person the roster to be a guy who is contributing via his talents (Foster, AJ, the stars)...or via their versatility (Casey at TE and FB, Grimes at RB and KR, Brooks at multiple OL positions).
Old 08-13-2012   #48
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
And 3 years later....I'm STILL wondering why not give him a look as a RB. So small, so fast...he would be like lightning coming through or around a line.
It might be because he could very well be the first NFL player to ever die on the field if that were to happen in a regular season situation.

-Ben Franklin
Old 08-13-2012   #49
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It might be because he could very well be the first NFL player to ever die on the field if that were to happen in a regular season situation.
God could you imagine vs Ravens Ben Tate and Foster are restin Holiday is out there run down the middle Ngata or Ray Lewis gets him. That's it for him.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #50
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Just go with four RBs, have Grimes be the returner. Roster problems solved.
Its going to be either Trycycle or Martin for returns .... those guy's have special speed. Grimes might be a solid player but I cant see him getting return duties. Just doesnt have the elite speed he seems to me to be a Foster size back without the elusiveness and speed.

Old 08-13-2012   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we know we've got certain guys that can take over the return duties. Manning, Forsett, and Keshawn are all returners. Heck, even Demps and I think Keo have returning on their resume. I know they've been practicing returns with K-Mart.

They didn't put any of those guys out there to return because this is Trindon's shot. This is his chance to show what he can do at the specialized position he was drafted. To be able to make the team, he's got to be hands down better than all those other options to return the ball.

If he's not, if he's only a little better than those guys, then he doesn't make the team. So this is his shot.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
How about Holliday or a 2nd string FB like Moran Norris? Casey makes it possible...to go with no FBs that is.

This is all assuming Holliday can continue his success when the competition amps up.

I think if trindon shows success returning kicks then the coaches might be tempted to try to get him the ball on offense in some kind of way.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #53
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think we know we've got certain guys that can take over the return duties. Manning, Forsett, and Keshawn are all returners. Heck, even Demps and I think Keo have returning on their resume. I know they've been practicing returns with K-Mart.

They didn't put any of those guys out there to return because this is Trindon's shot. This is his chance to show what he can do at the specialized position he was drafted. To be able to make the team, he's got to be hands down better than all those other options to return the ball.

If he's not, if he's only a little better than those guys, then he doesn't make the team. So this is his shot.
This is the bottom line.

But as I stated above , not carrying a specialized return man allows them to keep depth at another position .... I really think this plays into Trycycle making the final 53. If someone just plays too well to get cut loose , it hurts his chances significantly especially considering how many other guy's can handle those return duties.

Keo did a solid job with PR's last season when he got the opportunity , no mistakes even if he wasnt a threat to take one the distance.

Demps had some KR duties during the Slaton experiment ... #20 had to be one of the worst I can recall at the position.

Old 08-13-2012   #54
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
His chances to make the team ? Still slim .... but better than past years.

May come down to how many they keep at other positions. QB , RB , WR and OL are all area's that are in question. Keeping an extra at any of those spots would be a luxury that may affect his chances.
Interesting that you mention qb.

I think it's more than likely that we keep three, but is there a chance Kubiak's reverts to his carry 2 philosophy?

I doubt it, but I could see a case for it. If you don't trust beck or keenum to come in and continue to help us win games then there really is no need to have them in the roster. Also, if you think Yates is one if those durable types if guys I could see it. But with schaubs health history I just don't think it's likely at all.

Plus kubiak has pretty much said they'll carry three.

RB and o line are tricky.

For the o line I'd only carry 9. The starting 5, and four versatile back ups.

RB, I'd carry three, four max. The lb position might be shaved down some. I like nading, but he could be odd man out.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #55
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you have a potential game changer returning kicks it is worth a roster spot. I know we're limited to 53 and that every man is important but if you have a guy with the potential to change the field position you have to keep him.

I'm not saying he is Hester or that he is anything special but you have to find out. If he is "that special" then you keep him. If he keeps a starter like Manning or (maybe starter like) Martin off of the field then he is the same as depth at that position. From what I saw the kid can flat out fly. The reality is you have 3 more games to figure that out. If he is special then you keep him, it could be the difference between starting at your own 20 and your own 30. That is a big difference. If you think of it in terms of touches...

How many touches is your 5th receiver going to get? You've got to figure that your KR/PR will get at least 8 touches a game, maybe more. If you have a special one you have to keep him. (Not saying he's special yet, but he well could be.)

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #56
kwayshauntay
Veteran

Rep Power: 832 kwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respectedkwayshauntay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
74%.
72.345% ± 4.923%
kwayshauntay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #57
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Honestly, I don't want to see Martin out there returning kicks at all... I want us to work him strictly as a receiver. He has way too much potential to be getting hurt running back a kickoff or a punt.

-Ben Franklin
Old 08-13-2012   #58
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, I don't want to see Martin out there returning kicks at all... I want us to work him strictly as a receiver. He has way too much potential to be getting hurt running back a kickoff or a punt.
Steve Smith returns kicks. Daniel Manning returned kicks for us last year, and he is pretty important.

It is a risk, but if he is your best KR, you go for it.

That said, I like Holliday as the returner.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #59
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If Holliday can hold on to the ball and keep making decent returns like he did on Saturday night I think he's got a good chance to make the final 53. You know what would help him a hell of a lot more? Contributing to the offense.
Old 08-13-2012   #60
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If Holliday can hold on to the ball and keep making decent returns like he did on Saturday night I think he's got a good chance to make the final 53. You know what would help him a hell of a lot more? Contributing to the offense.
I hope there's not much of a shot for him to help on offense. That means that our WR depth is better than we anticipated. Even if that is the case, I hope he is a guy that other teams have to fear and kick away from. I'm not saying he is but we've never had a guy the opposition fears. I don't know if he can be that guy but he is the first guy we've ever had that has that kind of speed. Manning is fast, Jones was fast but Holliday is world class fast. If teams have to worry about him returning it all the way it will translate into better field position.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read