Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-13-2012   #201
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
...especially at league min??
That league minimum would be at half the salary cap price of league minimum.
Old 08-13-2012   #202
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The clincher for me is that the guys who had him and saw him all of last season, the Jets, let him walk.

That, IMHO, is a loud, clear, unarguable message. No team lets a valued piece of their offense walk. Especially one who is, by some accounts I've seen in this thread, was "productive" in the scoring zone and is willing to sign - again, if you believe the rumors - is willing to sign for league minimum.

And when you look at the Jets' depth chart at WR you see Santonio Holmes and a bunch of whodats. So if Burress is still "all that" why didn't the Jets re-sign him? ...especially at league min??
Most likely baggage (nobody can say he wasn't productive on the field), but at the league min non gauranteed contract, I'd be willing to kick the tires. I think this team is built where it can absorb a nut, unlike NY who has a entire team full of nuts.. including a nut head coach.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #203
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Andre Johnson in 2008: 115 catches on 170 targets.

Andre Johnson in 2007: 60 catches on 86 targets.

Andre Johnson in 2006: 103 catches on 166 targets.

Kevin Walter in 2008: 60 catches on 95 targets.

Kevin Walter in 2007: 65 catches on 106 targets.

Kevin Walter in 2006: 17 catches on 21 targets. This was his first year with the Texans and he played sparingly, as I am sure we all remember.

Lets put the 2009 stats out there to show 3 seasons with a fair sample size.

Kevin Walter in 2009: 53 catches on 70 targets.
Comparing those percentages , I have to question if he's a fit for what the Texans want out of a reciever ....
Walter as a Texan has caught two out ofevery three passes targeted at him ..... 66.78%

AJ better than three out of four with 75.7% in the years you listed.

Plaxico is ~50 without doing the math over the three year stretch sample size.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #204
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The clincher for me is that the guys who had him and saw him all of last season, the Jets, let him walk.

That, IMHO, is a loud, clear, unarguable message. No team lets a valued piece of their offense walk. Especially one who is, by some accounts I've seen in this thread, was "productive" in the scoring zone and is willing to sign - again, if you believe the rumors - is willing to sign for league minimum.

And when you look at the Jets' depth chart at WR you see Santonio Holmes and a bunch of whodats. So if Burress is still "all that" why didn't the Jets re-sign him? ...especially at league min??
I'll never understand this logic.

You are basing your thoughts off of what the jets are doing?

The packers had Vonta leach before we did, but they let him go for nothing and we got him. Wade wasn't retained by his former team. Sean Cody wasn't retained by his former team. Bradie James wasn't retained by his former team. The bengals didn't think j Jo was worth what we paid him. The bears didn't think manning was worth what we paid him. Forsett was not retained by his former team. Moran Norris wasnt retained by his former team.

I'm not pro plaxico, but some of the takes in this thread are ridiculous.

Personally I wouldn't sign him because I dont think he's better than what we have anywhere besides the redone and if we're going to start throwing jump balls to a wr In The endzone id rather it be Aj.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #205
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The Jets made a decision in the offseason to get younger. Not retaining Plax, LT, and some other guys had more to do with them building a positive future. The Jets failure in the passing game had everything to do with Sanchez.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #206
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Most likely baggage (nobody can say he wasn't productive on the field), but at the league min non gauranteed contract, I'd be willing to kick the tires. I think this team is built where it can absorb a nut, unlike NY who has a entire team full of nuts.. including a nut head coach.
Think about what you just told us....

Burress was too much - had too much baggage - for an "entire team full of nuts... including a nut head coach" to hold onto
...at league minimum...

Now some salary guru will have to tell me what league minimum is for a 10-yr vet at #2 WR. As Infantry hinted, that $$$ value might not be all that cheap.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #207
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Think about what you just told us....

Burress was too much - had too much baggage - for an "entire team full of nuts... including a nut head coach" to hold onto
...at league minimum...

Now some salary guru will have to tell me what league minimum is for a 10-yr vet at #2 WR. As Infantry hinted, that $$$ value might not be all that cheap.
I've heard specific details about the problems in the locker room. Plax wasn't an issue at all. The problem was Santonio. It bothers me to see him get a bad rap when it wasn't the case.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #208
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'll never understand this logic.

You are basing your thoughts off of what the jets are doing?

The packers had Vonta leach before we did, but they let him go for nothing and we got him. Wade wasn't retained by his former team. Sean Cody wasn't retained by his former team. Bradie James wasn't retained by his former team. The bengals didn't think j Jo was worth what we paid him. The bears didn't think manning was worth what we paid him. Forsett was not retained by his former team. Moran Norris wasnt retained by his former team.

I'm not pro plaxico, but some of the takes in this thread are ridiculous.

Personally I wouldn't sign him because I dont think he's better than what we have anywhere besides the redone and if we're going to start throwing jump balls to a wr In The endzone id rather it be Aj.
In this case, yes.

Edit (my apologies... I over-explained; this is the bottom line)

...neither of us want to see P.B. in a Texans' uni. We just have different reasons. I think he's trouble. You think - and I agree - we should develop the youngsters and make better use of A.J. in the redzone.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-13-2012 at 05:18 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #209
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Obi I'm sure he was talking about Wade, our starting left guard & as far as the Jets go, they might not have wanted to pay Burress what he was asking after one solid season. Probably the same reason he is still on the market. I'm sure at his age he knows this may be his last contract & want to get it right.

As far as comparing Plax to KDub, c'Mon. Plax will get attention KDub doesn't get when AJ is out. As a number two it's probably a wash but we need a playmaker to hedge our bets if the kids don't work out. KDub has never been able to be that guy despite several opportunities.

Remember when Kubiak featured Chris Brown in the offense because we didn't have anyone else? In my mind that's similar to featuring Jacoby at receiver he knows Walter isn't that guy.
Old 08-13-2012   #210
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 230490 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Belichick obviously doesn't know what he's doing.

Quote:
Adam Schefter of ESPN reported on Sunday that receiver Plaxico Burress would be working out with the Patriots.

Adam Schefter of ESPN now reports that, in the wake of the Sunday workout, the Patriots donít plan to sign Plaxico.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-sign-plaxico/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #211
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Over the time period provided AJ is 66% completions on targets, KW is 64% and Plax is 51%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Walter as a Texan has caught two out ofevery three passes targeted at him ..... 66.78%

AJ better than three out of four with 75.7% in the years you listed.

Plaxico is ~50 without doing the math over the three year stretch sample size.
Dont be selling #80 short .... when I did the math I had to do it a second time just to make sure I wasnt crazy.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #212
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Didn't the Patriots sign Chad Johnson last year? How did that work out? The Patriots organization does make mistakes too. Regardless, they are simply working him out to see what he has to offer. We will wait to see if he signs.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. Seems we may agree.

In regards to the catch rate statistic, that is just one statistic when rating receivers. It is not the be all end all. The point about him being a downfield receiver and therefore having a lower catch rate is valid. The point is that he is 35 years old now and he is no longer an efficient receiver in that role. You can go to that website I initially linked and view his other stats, they are below average for an NFL receiver.

Rey made a good point about him being a red zone target for us. We have AJ for that and we rarely do throw the fade to him. I would like to see that change. Who is going to defend the decision to toss it up to Plax with AJ on the field? Especially when it doesn't work.

If we lose AJ and Plax is still available, then I would consider it. Until then, it is a waste IMO.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012   #213
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Didn't the Patriots sign Chad Johnson last year? How did that work out? The Patriots organization does make mistakes too. Regardless, they are simply working him out to see what he has to offer. We will wait to see if he signs.

Edit: Sorry, misread your post. Seems we may agree.

In regards to the catch rate statistic, that is just one statistic when rating receivers. It is not the be all end all. The point about him being a downfield receiver and therefore having a lower catch rate is valid. The point is that he is 35 years old now and he is no longer an efficient receiver in that role. You can go to that website I initially linked and view his other stats, they are below average for an NFL receiver.

Rey made a good point about him being a red zone target for us. We have AJ for that and we rarely do throw the fade to him. I would like to see that change. Who is going to defend the decision to toss it up to Plax with AJ on the field? Especially when it doesn't work.

If we lose AJ and Plax is still available, then I would consider it. Until then, it is a waste IMO.
Can't believe we aren't bringing him in considering our poor red zone history, AJ's current health questions and the overall lack of experience at the WR position
Old 08-13-2012   #214
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

He does know what he's doing.. it's called planing ahead. They reported on the radio earlier that the Pats never intended to sign him (they actually have a good vet receiving core now), but they still wanted to work him out incase someone goes down. Now if one of their receivers goes down with a injury during the preseason they can just bring him in, because they already know what type of shape he's in and they've already touched base with him. It's not a bad move
Old 08-13-2012   #215
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
35 is not real old for a WR on a one year deal. Nobody is asking this guy to anchor a spot for 5 years.. just one. I guess when T.O. and Driver were pulling down 1,000 yard seasons at that age they were trash too huh.
Maybe you're right and Plaxico would be a good addition to the team (I disagree but that's your opinion). But to argue that 35 isn't old for a WR is just crazy. TO is an exception, Donald Driver was 34 when he had his last 1000 yard season, the next season he dropped down to 565 yards.

From 2001 to 2011 only 6 receivers have topped 1000 yards at age 35+

Jimmy Smith
Tim Brown
Rod Smith
Terrell Owens
Joey Galloway
Derrick Mason

http://www.footballnation.com/conten...o-old/15495/2/

Here is a brief list of some guys who haven't produced a 1000 yard season at age 35+

Marvin Harrison
Torry Holt
Hines Ward
Muhsin Mohammad
Chad Johnson
Laverneus Coles
Randy Moss
Joe Horn
Art Monk
Andre Reed
Steve Largent
Michael Irvin
Andre Rison

For every Jerry Rice or Cris Carter there are hundreds of guys whose careers fizzle out or their bodies give out on them long before they turn 35. Doesn't mean it's not possible just highly unlikely.
Old 08-13-2012   #216
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Im not looking for the guy to be a 1000 yard receiver.. Im looking for production (basically what he did past year) At 35 he can still do that. Im looking for a vet who can be a stop gap safety net. I would do back flips if he could do what he did last season.
Old 08-13-2012   #217
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im not looking for the guy to be a 1000 yard receiver.. Im looking for production (basically what he did past year) At 35 he can still do that. Im looking for a vet who can be a stop gap safety net. I would do back flips if he could do what he did last season.
Well chances are he is going to regress as he continues to age. I think it's more likely that Kevin Walter will get back to his 2010 numbers with a healthy Matt Schaub and his 2010 numbers look an awful lot like Plaxico's season last year, statistically speaking.

So why pay more money to bring in an old WR with a long history of being a locker room issue to put up the same stats as a guy who knows the system, is a good locker room guy, has great hands, and is a great blocker to boot. I'm not saying KW is an all world receiver, I just think he gets a bad rap on these boards and Plaxico is not as big an upgrade as you might suggest.

KW isn't going anywhere. AJ, Posey, and Martin certainly aren't going anywhere, and I wouldn't give up on Lestar for a one year Plaxico rental. Factor in that Holiday is making a push to make this team and there is just no room for Burress.
Old 08-13-2012   #218
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
No thanks. Plax is older than Andre and not as good as Walter. Why would we want him taking snaps from our young receivers that simply need experience. We have talent, they just need to snaps.
OK, I understand not wanting Plaxico, but not better than Kevin Walter? Holy sh*t dude.

Plaxico is 10X the red zone threat KW is, even at his age right now. And last I checked, we had around 45% in the RZ. Plax would make that at least a 70% in the RZ, even if he isn't getting all the TDs.
Old 08-13-2012   #219
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I've heard specific details about the problems in the locker room. Plax wasn't an issue at all. The problem was Santonio. It bothers me to see him get a bad rap when it wasn't the case.
Exactly Texn4life.

Plex has been a model player since going to jail, and I for one am glad to see the guy at least trying to do everything right this time around unlike his tenure on the Steelers and the Giants. The guy is still full of size and I watched him make several nice grabs last season. He still can be a very good RZ threat and could move the chains on 3rd down by shielding his body to defenders. I simply cannot understand why the Texans wouldn't be interested.

I read that the Pats have brought him in though. That's my 2nd favorite team, so I'll be pretty happy if they sign him.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #220
Rudyball
Rookie

At the 10 yr vet min, yes, even if we only use him in the red zone. Plax, AJ and LJ on the line means a mismatch for most teams. And for a team that needs red zone help it is a no brainer to me.
Rudyball is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read