Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2012   #161
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm dead serious. Show/tell me why I am wrong. Plax is 35 years old now and clearly has little interest from teams around the league. Walter is a better route runner, better blocker, and is more consistent. All Plax could do last year was occasionally body smaller corners. I highly doubt he will be successful doing that this year. There is a reason he is only asking for the league minimum.

No thanks. Waste of a roster spot and waste of valuable snaps.
Occasionally body smaller corners? And get 8 touchdowns? Dude, take the homer glasses off. Plax stepped out of jail and had a nice year with a terrible QB. He's a great blocker in his own right. Watch Ladainian Tomlinson's long screen pass against Oakland last year.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #162
Commodore
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Commodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respectedCommodore is a quality contributor and well respected

Eli Manning and Mark Sanchez loved to go to Plax in red zone situations, exactly where we have had trouble in the past.

He's worth a look imo.

2011 TD receptions:

Plaxico Burress: 8
Kevin Walter: 3
Andre Johnson: 2

Last edited by Commodore; 08-12-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #163
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Go to this website and look at advanced metrics for wide receivers: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr .

It will show you that Walter ranks ahead of Plax in nearly every category for the 2011 season. Plax had an abysmal 47% catch rate. That's the rate at which he actually makes a catch when he is thrown to. Walter had a 66% catch rate. Note that Plax was targeted 40% more than Walter last year. If you go to the site and read the breakdown of each metric, and then look at what Plax did last year, it will show that he was below average.

Again, explain to me how a 35 year old Plax is better than Walter right now. Walter has a multi year contract, while Plax will be lucky to sign a contract at the vet league minimum before week 1.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #164
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Meh, from what I saw last year he can catch still but getting seperation is a huge issue now. And 35 is really old for a WR.
35 is not real old for a WR on a one year deal. Nobody is asking this guy to anchor a spot for 5 years.. just one. I guess when T.O. and Driver were pulling down 1,000 yard seasons at that age they were trash too huh.

And the guy was able to seperate last year.. atleast more than K. Walter and B. Johnson. As long as those two are on the roster I don't see how anyone can roll their eyes at signing burress, because Burress is better than both of them.. yes even at the age of 35.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #165
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
35 is not real old for a WR on a one year deal. Nobody is asking this guy to anchor a spot for 5 years.. just one. I guess when T.O. and Driver were pulling down 1,000 yard seasons at that age they were trash too huh.

And the guy was able to seperate last year.. atleast more than K. Walter and B. Johnson. As long as those two are on the roster I don't see how anyone can roll their eyes at signing burress, because Burress is better than both of them.. yes even at the age of 35.
Plax was never and will never be on the level of a TO or a Donald Driver. Those two have always had greater work ethic, greater skill, and have always been more in shape. Both TO and Driver are/were absolute rats in the gym. All you have to do is look at Plax's body. Terrible comparison.
Old 08-12-2012   #166
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I read somewhere that the pats are looking at him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #167
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Plax was never and will never be on the level of a TO or a Donald Driver. Those two have always had greater work ethic, greater skill, and have always been more in shape. Both TO and Driver are/were absolute rats in the gym. All you have to do is look at Plax's body. Terrible comparison.
Knowing someone who played with Plax last year I would tell you that you're wrong. Plax worked his butt off last year and from all accounts his teammates love him.
Old 08-12-2012   #168
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Knowing someone who played with Plax last year I would tell you that you're wrong. Plax worked his butt off last year and from all accounts his teammates love him.
There have been reports since he was drafted in 2000 that Plax has poor work ethic. That has always been a knock on him.

Funny that you say that though, as just today a journalist was on ESPN radio talking about how he had spoken to a Jet from last year and that player basically blasted Plax's locker room attributes.

One second hand report by an ESPN journalist that goes along with previous reports on Plax vs another second hand report from a message board poster.

Even if we did pretend that he did have a fantastic work ethic, the point still stands. He will never and has never been on TO or Drivers' level. Especially in regards to being in shape.

I'd prefer Driver and even TO over Plax at this point. Although, I wouldn't even consider TO nor Plax.
Old 08-12-2012   #169
BlackBeard 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 905 BlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respectedBlackBeard is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Plax always looked in pretty decent shape to me. According to ESPN the Patriots worked him out today so maybe this debate will be mute soon. Considering the Texans situation I find it hard to believe that they would not even look at him.

BlackBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #170
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
There have been reports since he was drafted in 2000 that Plax has poor work ethic. That has always been a knock on him.

Funny that you say that though, as just today a journalist was on ESPN radio talking about how he had spoken to a Jet from last year and that player basically blasted Plax's locker room attributes.

One second hand report by an ESPN journalist that goes along with previous reports on Plax vs another second hand report from a message board poster.

Even if we did pretend that he did have a fantastic work ethic, the point still stands. He will never and has never been on TO or Drivers' level. Especially in regards to being in shape.

I'd prefer Driver and even TO over Plax at this point. Although, I wouldn't even consider TO nor Plax.
I can't speak for an ESPN reporter, but I'll take the word of a future HOF'er any day of the week who said Plax worked his butt off.
Old 08-12-2012   #171
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I can't speak for an ESPN reporter, but I'll take the word of a future HOF'er any day of the week who said Plax worked his butt off.
A HOFer that a guy on a message board says he knows.

I'll take the word of the ESPN reporter, even if both sources are questionable in their credibility.

We are getting away from the real question here though, and that is if Plaxico Burress is good for the Texans. I will continue to say that he is not.
Old 08-12-2012   #172
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Here is a video of the 3 TD catch game that Plax had against the Chargers.

Looks like terrible coverage to me by the team that was tied for 5th highest TDs given up through the air last year in the Chargers.

He had 25 yards with his 3 TDs.

The other 5 TDs:

1 against the Patriots: 2nd to last in terms of pass defense by yardage.

1 against the Bills: 3rd to last in terms of TD passes allowed.

1 against the Raiders: 2nd to last in terms of TD passes allowed.

1 against the Eagles: 9th to last in terms of TD passes allowed.

1 against the Cowboys: 10th to last in terms of TD passes allowed. 14th to last in terms of pass defense by yardage. The Cowboys were the best pass defense that he produced a TD against. Most people consider them to have been pretty bad in regards to pass defense in 2011.

I don't see him replicating the year he had last year and that year was not very good at all IMO. Not when you factor in his total targets vs his total receptions.
Old 08-12-2012   #173
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A HOFer that a guy on a message board says he knows.

I'll take the word of the ESPN reporter, even if both sources are questionable in their credibility.

We are getting away from the real question here though, and that is if Plaxico Burress is good for the Texans. I will continue to say that he is not.
You don't have to believe me so by all means believe the ESPN reporter. Guys like Plax don't play 10 plus years with a piss poor work ethic though. (
Old 08-12-2012   #174
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't have to believe me so by all means believe the ESPN reporter. Guys like Plax don't play 10 plus years with a piss poor work ethic though. (
Wouldn't that be more like '8 and a maybe'?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #175
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Wouldn't that be more like '8 and a maybe'?
I just think people short change players in the league. I've known Ladainian Tomlinson since he was a freshman at TCU. He worked his butt off to be the player he became. He's pretty up front when it comes to teammates and he had nothing but goood things to say about Plax.

Plax didn't just magically get out of bed and become a great player in the league. The notion he's not a hard worker is silly to me. He obviously woked hard enough to do some great things in the NFL.
Old 08-12-2012   #176
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go to this website and look at advanced metrics for wide receivers: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr .

It will show you that Walter ranks ahead of Plax in nearly every category for the 2011 season. Plax had an abysmal 47% catch rate. That's the rate at which he actually makes a catch when he is thrown to. Walter had a 66% catch rate. Note that Plax was targeted 40% more than Walter last year. If you go to the site and read the breakdown of each metric, and then look at what Plax did last year, it will show that he was below average.

Again, explain to me how a 35 year old Plax is better than Walter right now. Walter has a multi year contract, while Plax will be lucky to sign a contract at the vet league minimum before week 1.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
kevin walter had just 30 something receptions for less than 500 yards and only 3 TDs. I don't care if he's catching every pass that's thrown his way.. it's obvious he's not getting open enough to get enough passes thrown in his direction. Walter was the top WR most of the season and he still didn't come close to the production of the over the hill WR who has a poor work ethic.. despite that WR not being the top WR on his team
Old 08-12-2012   #177
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am pretty meh on Burress, as I have seen way worse ideas argued on this board. still these are last years stats on production. i will let those who care find the 35 plus year old WRs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go
Old 08-12-2012   #178
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
kevin walter had just 30 something receptions for less than 500 yards and only 3 TDs. I don't care if he's catching every pass that's thrown his way.. it's obvious he's not getting open enough to get enough passes thrown in his direction.
Burress had 45 catches on 97 targets. Walter had 39 catches on 59 targets. LOL, Plaxico compares well with Jacoby Jones in this regard.

What matters is how productive a guy is based on the amount of chances he gets. Efficiency is what matters in football, not raw stats.

Quote:
Walter was the top WR most of the season and he still didn't come close to the production of the over the hill WR who has a poor work ethic.. despite that WR not being the top WR on his team
Plaxico was 3rd in targets for the NYJ behind Dustin Keller and Santonio Holmes last year, per ESPN, with 97 targets.

The Jets threw the ball 597 times and completed 310 passes.

Walter was 4th in targets for HOU behind Owen Daniels, Arian Foster, and Jacoby Jones, per ESPN, with 59 targets.

The Texans threw the ball 467 times and completed 288 passes.

Where do you see that Walter was ever the top WR target for the Texans in 2011? He had less targets than Jacoby Jones. The top target for Texans QBs in 2011 was Owen Daniels by a long shot. I'll take the guy that catches the ball 66% of the time it is thrown at him and is efficient when he is on the field, over the guy that only catches 47% of the passes thrown his way. I also don't understand how you can even come to the conclusion that Walter somehow had more chances, or was more of a #1 receiver than Plaxico given the stats that have already been put out in front of you before this post.

But whatever, let's pick up the guy that has barely worked out for anyone and is begging for a contract at league minimum.
Old 08-12-2012   #179
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am pretty meh on Burress, as I have seen way worse ideas argued on this board. still these are last years stats on production. i will let those who care find the 35 plus year old WRs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go
I don't think people are expecting the guy to lead the league in receiving yards.. but the fact remains that he would be a upgrade over players on the roster (walter and johnson) and isn't that the point? Upgrading the roster.. I hope to hell that Marin, Jean, and Posey are homeruns and have long and productve careers, but I'd also feel alot more comfortable if we had another vet that actually has a NFL catch to his name.. and a vet that can also play and produce (unlike johnson).
Old 08-13-2012   #180
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Burress had 45 catches on 97 targets. Walter had 39 catches on 59 targets. LOL, ok.

What matters is how productive a guy is based on the amount of chances he gets. Efficiency is what matters in football, not raw stats.

Plaxico was 3rd in targets for the NYJ behind Dustin Keller and Santonio Holmes last year, per ESPN, with 97 targets.

The Jets threw the ball 597 times and completed 310 passes.

Walter was 4th in targets for HOU behind Owen Daniels, Arian Foster, and Jacoby Jones, per ESPN, with 59 targets.

The Texans threw the ball 467 times and completed 288 passes.

Where do you see that Walter was ever the top WR target for the Texans in 2011? He had less targets than Jacoby Jones. The top target for Texans QBs in 2011 was Owen Daniels by a long shot.

I'll take the guy that catches the ball 66% of the time it is thrown at him and is efficient when he is on the field, over the guy that only catches 47% of the passes thrown his way.

I also don't understand how you can even come to the conclusion that Walter somehow had more chances, or was more of a #1 receiver than Plaxico given the stats that have already been put out in front of you before this post.

But whatever, let's pick up the guy that has barely worked out for anyone and is begging for a contract at league minimum.
Reading comprehension is needed.

I said Walter was the top WR.. as in the leader of his position group with Johnson out or banged up most of the year. The fact that he was only targeted 59 times under those circumstances is appauling and proves my point... the fact that burress was targeted as much as he was also proves my point. One player is getting open and creating opportunities to receive the ball and the other is not. So again.. it doesnt matter if Kevin caught 100% of the passes thrown his way.. he isnt creating enough opportunities and getting open enough.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read