Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2012   #141
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Maybe they haven't signed him because he is really old and kind of a turd. Maybe that's the reason nobody has signed him at all.

I know, it seems a bit far fetched.
Old 08-09-2012   #142
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
McSmithiak
What's this?!

This is the best thing to happen on tt.com since.... Smithiak!

TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #143
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Maybe they haven't signed him because he is really old and kind of a turd. Maybe that's the reason nobody has signed him at all.

I know, it seems a bit far fetched.
Plaxico Burress is not "really old".. He turns 35 next week, but with the prison term it's a young 35 (even without the time off 35 isn't ancient for a WR), and his game has never been about speed anyways so he's still got plenty of tread left on the tires. In limited playing time the guy had 8 TDs last season. Despite his age he's still one of the best red zone threats in the league. He's going to help out and be a asset to which ever team signs him... especially if they get him on a 1 year deal at the vet min.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #144
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
610 is live with Plexico right now
Here's the audio: Link
Old 08-09-2012   #145
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Plaxico Burress is not "really old".. He turns 35 next week, but with the prison term it's a young 35 (even without the time off 35 isn't ancient for a WR), and his game has never been about speed anyways so he's still got plenty of tread left on the tires. In limited playing time the guy had 8 TDs last season. Despite his age he's still one of the best red zone threats in the league. He's going to help out and be a asset to which ever team signs him... especially if they get him on a 1 year deal at the vet min.
35 is really old for a WR in the NFL. And I would argue that using a prison sentence as a reason to go ahead and sign someone is not a good bargaining chip.

If he is so good why is he waiting for a call when even TO has gotten a deal?

JMO but I don't want any part of Plaxico and I think our passing game will be just fine without him.
Old 08-09-2012   #146
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
35 is really old for a WR in the NFL. And I would argue that using a prison sentence as a reason to go ahead and sign someone is not a good bargaining chip.

If he is so good why is he waiting for a call when even TO has gotten a deal?

JMO but I don't want any part of Plaxico and I think our passing game will be just fine without him.
No, 35 is not ancient or really old for a WR in the NFL, especially one who had 600 yards and 8 TDs in a limited role during his first season in a new system and playing with a crappy QB. There have been plenty of WRs who had productive seasons at that age and beyond it.

Also what are you talking about with the bargaining chips talk? You don't need a bargain chip to sign this guy.. he's going to sign for the vet min. The only reason why I brought that up was because he does have less wear than other 35 yo WRs. And let's be real here.. if the guy shot himself in the leg in any other city, he only would've gotten a ticket.

The fact that he's not signed yet doesn't mean anything either, because the fact is he WILL be on the field this season and when he is, I bet he's very productive. Also the fact that he's not signed right now is now a moot point.. The Cowboys have called him up now and are in talks with him. He's going to greatly help out there WR core.. especially in the red zone if they get him.

Oh well he could've helped us out and I'm not fine with our WR core.. It's 2010 all over again, except instead of the DB position it's the WR position. I don't like the fact that we're going to have to rely on multiple WRs who don't even have a NFL catch yet and the only other vet WR we have is Walter and Bryant Johnson doesn't count, because that guy is a ghost and a waste of a roster spot. Burress could've filled that spot and we would've actually gotten production from it. As long as B. Johnson is taking up a roster spot, I'm not fine with the receiving core. Hell Andre was out or banged up most of the year and B. Johnson couldn't even produce on a team that only had Walter and a inconsistent J.Jones in front of him. I like what I'm hearing about the rookies, but let's be real.. they're still going to be rookies.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #147
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Didn't happen because Carr isn't dedicated and is as smart as a box of rocks.
You just offended boxes of rocks everywhere.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #148
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

On my NFL News app, an article by Steve Wyche says Burress' agent Rosenhaus is in talks with Cowboys.

Signing not imminent, just preliminary talks.

Wyche at end of article says monetary demands is what has been holding teams back from pursuing Burress.

If so, then how can Cowboys be in the running for him??? I was of the impression the Cowboys were over the cap last year, so in theory they should be unable to shell out much money to a guy like Burress. Right?
Old 08-10-2012   #149
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
On my NFL News app, an article by Steve Wyche says Burress' agent Rosenhaus is in talks with Cowboys.

Wyche at end of article says monetary demands is what has been holding teams back from pursuing Burress.

If so, then how can Cowboys be in the running for him??? I was of the impression the Cowboys were over the cap last year, so in theory they should be unable to shell out much money to a guy like Burress. Right?
Not hearing anything on Dallas radio that confirms this rumor.
Old 08-10-2012   #150
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...res-an-injury/
Old 08-10-2012   #151
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
No, 35 is not ancient or really old for a WR in the NFL, especially one who had 600 yards and 8 TDs in a limited role during his first season in a new system and playing with a crappy QB. There have been plenty of WRs who had productive seasons at that age and beyond it.

Also what are you talking about with the bargaining chips talk? You don't need a bargain chip to sign this guy.. he's going to sign for the vet min. The only reason why I brought that up was because he does have less wear than other 35 yo WRs. And let's be real here.. if the guy shot himself in the leg in any other city, he only would've gotten a ticket.

The fact that he's not signed yet doesn't mean anything either, because the fact is he WILL be on the field this season and when he is, I bet he's very productive. Also the fact that he's not signed right now is now a moot point.. The Cowboys have called him up now and are in talks with him. He's going to greatly help out there WR core.. especially in the red zone if they get him.

Oh well he could've helped us out and I'm not fine with our WR core.. It's 2010 all over again, except instead of the DB position it's the WR position. I don't like the fact that we're going to have to rely on multiple WRs who don't even have a NFL catch yet and the only other vet WR we have is Walter and Bryant Johnson doesn't count, because that guy is a ghost and a waste of a roster spot. Burress could've filled that spot and we would've actually gotten production from it. As long as B. Johnson is taking up a roster spot, I'm not fine with the receiving core. Hell Andre was out or banged up most of the year and B. Johnson couldn't even produce on a team that only had Walter and a inconsistent J.Jones in front of him. I like what I'm hearing about the rookies, but let's be real.. they're still going to be rookies.
Meh, from what I saw last year he can catch still but getting seperation is a huge issue now. And 35 is really old for a WR.
Old 08-10-2012   #152
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 278016 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I absolutely do. Remember, this GM didn't hire this HC. The HC hired the GM.

I think Kubiak takes more of a hands off attitude about having that power than most who have been given it but at the end of the day I think in a fight he wins.
I agree completely. Overall, I think it's a partnership between the HC, GM, and owner. But, I think both the owner and GM defer to Kubiak, who has the actual experiences as both a player and coach on Super Bowl teams at both levels.

All anyone has to do is look at our defensive coordinator history under Kubiak. Those were Kubiak hires with McNair's blessings and Rick Smith's job to obtain them. Even with Wade, deference was to Kubiak for approval, and with their long history together, it was a no brainer.

Look at our QB situation. With the exception of Carr, who was here for a year out of respect to McNair, the rest are all Kubiak's guys. That's one of his strengths as a coach, and we are better for it.

This is clearly Kubiak's team. He clearly answers directly to the owner, not a GM. I think looking at it as a partnership is key, though. This is not a power struggle in the FO, but more of a chain of command that everyone is in agreement with the same goal.

If Kubiak wanted Plaxico to be here, he'd be here. This is Kubiak's team, and specifically his offense.
Old 08-10-2012   #153
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree completely. Overall, I think it's a partnership between the HC, GM, and owner. But, I think both the owner and GM defer to Kubiak, who has the actual experiences as both a player and coach on Super Bowl teams at both levels.

All anyone has to do is look at our defensive coordinator history under Kubiak. Those were Kubiak hires with McNair's blessings and Rick Smith's job to obtain them. Even with Wade, deference was to Kubiak for approval, and with their long history together, it was a no brainer.

Look at our QB situation. With the exception of Carr, who was here for a year out of respect to McNair, the rest are all Kubiak's guys. That's one of his strengths as a coach, and we are better for it.

This is clearly Kubiak's team. He clearly answers directly to the owner, not a GM. I think looking at it as a partnership is key, though. This is not a power struggle in the FO, but more of a chain of command that everyone is in agreement with the same goal.

If Kubiak wanted Plaxico to be here, he'd be here. This is Kubiak's team, and specifically his offense.
I concur.

There are a lot of different ways to set up a front office with all sorts of different configurations and chains of command. McNair chose Kubiak to be his guy and set up the Front Office the way Kubiak wanted. So instead of a power struggle relationship between a strong GM and a coach who wants to buy the groceries, we've got this setup where Kubiak coaches and chooses his coaches while Smith gets player "orders" from the coaches and goes out to fill those orders.

I don't even think Smith has absolute final say on exactly which guys he signs although I do think he exercises the most power in that field. If Kubiak (or Wade or McNair, for that matter) doesn't want a guy, Smith's not going to sign him. It's not going to be like the Cowboys and Parcells where Jerry signed guys without Parcells's approval and forced those guys on him.

Overall, I think it's a smooth operation and I like it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #154
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

If he can get us 8 TDs for us this season, then I'm down. Really hard to stop AJ and Plaxico, almost like Nicks and Cruz but older.
Old 08-12-2012   #155
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 49148 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is flying today to New England to work out for the Patriots, the team he helped beat in SBXLII. More on ESPN.
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #156
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks. Plax is older than Andre and not as good as Walter. Why would we want him taking snaps from our young receivers that simply need experience. We have talent, they just need to snaps.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #157
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I could have sworn this thread from last year, let it die
Old 08-12-2012   #158
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
No thanks. Plax is older than Andre and not as good as Walter. Why would we want him taking snaps from our young receivers that simply need experience. We have talent, they just need to snaps.
Not as good as Walter? Please tell me you're not serious.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #159
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Not as good as Walter? Please tell me you're not serious.
I'm dead serious. Show/tell me why I am wrong. Plax is 35 years old now and clearly has little interest from teams around the league. Walter is a better route runner, better blocker, and is more consistent. All Plax could do last year was occasionally body smaller corners. I highly doubt he will be successful doing that this year. There is a reason he is only asking for the league minimum.

No thanks. Waste of a roster spot and waste of valuable snaps.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012   #160
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm dead serious. Show/tell me why I am wrong. Plax is 35 years old now and clearly has little interest from teams around the league. Walter is a better route runner, better blocker, and is more consistent. All Plax could do last year was occasionally body smaller corners. I highly doubt he will be successful doing that this year. There is a reason he is only asking for the league minimum.

No thanks. Waste of a roster spot and waste of valuable snaps.
Oh yeah, no interest from teams around the league...except the Patriots (and Cowboys secretly, plus who knows what other teams). Plax had 8TDs and over 600 yards with Mark Sanchez throwing it to him. In this offense, he can get more production than Walter can. What he did last year with the Jets would be his floor with the Texans. I don't trust the rookies, even though a flew played nice last night (Jean with some good catches, and Martin will be a beast). Burress would just add a little more, plus good insurance when AJ is out.

They should just cut Bryant Johnson.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read