Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2012   #121
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
Sorry, won't happen. Smithiak doesn't want guys like him on our team.
I don't think that is as "carved in stone" as it used to be. If they need him and can use him they'll go get him.

I don't think that what's keeping Burress off of the Texans boils down to him being "a guy like that". I think it's that they still believe that somebody we already have in camp will step up and sieze the opportunity. They may even be right. We really don't know yet.

They also know that if none of them step up then there will be a window later in camp when a number of veterans will be looking for work (Plaxico among them) and that if it comes down to that then a few weeks in camp won't really make a difference to that player.
Old 08-09-2012   #122
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35038 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, I think it is asking too much for rookie receivers to come in and play like multiple year veterans. It would have been nice to sign Moss, and it would be nice to sign Plax. AJ is awesome, but his injuries worry me. Plax would be a nice vet to have as the number two receiver.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #123
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Kubes needs to have the guts to override RS and get this done. Even if we luck out and get through the season without any injuries, doubtful, he would provide some vet security. JMO!

Do you really think Gary has the power to override the GM? Does not work like that in most franchises.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #124
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Do you really think Gary has the power to override the GM? Does not work like that in most franchises.
I absolutely do. Remember, this GM didn't hire this HC. The HC hired the GM.

I think Kubiak takes more of a hands off attitude about having that power than most who have been given it but at the end of the day I think in a fight he wins.
Old 08-09-2012   #125
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

I think Kubiak takes more of a hands off attitude about having that power than most who have been given it but at the end of the day I think in a fight he wins.
I was gonna say the same thing!!!

My concern would be if he bumped some of the youth we have, and we cut someone with potential, but we need veterans quality WR's right now!!!

Remember a couple years back whe KW arrived, everyone was cocnerned about the WR Corp, and mid year it was a position of strength. I'm hoping history repeats itself!!!!
Old 08-09-2012   #126
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this has anything to do with RS overriding Kubes or Kubes overriding RS. I think what is blocking Burress, or anyone else who has some kind of issue with the law, is McNair. I know McNair is mostly a "hands off" type of owner who lets Smithiak run the show for the most part, but I think they also know and understand how McNair wants to build this team and franchise. And that's with class! Now if there's a player Smithiak has to have that might not have a clean record, I'm sure they run it by "Ol Bob" for his approval, and I'm sure each one is looked at on a case by case basis. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #127
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just don't see it for a number of reasons, some which Insideop mentioned. Not unless Gary could state that the guy would give us another 3 or 4 wins.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #128
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak gets what Kubiak wants. I doubt even McNair denied him much if Gary can show player is an asset.
Old 08-09-2012   #129
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

610 is live with Plexico right now

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #130
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
610 is live with Plexico right now
Wow.

Tell us what is said. I don't live there and don't have time to pull it up on the Internet.
Old 08-09-2012   #131
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the guys on NFL.com commented that teams are possibly waiting until after the first week of the season so his contract won't be guaranteed for the full season. Makes sense.

Posted this earlier but the dog ate it I guess, didn't show up here.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #132
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Wow.

Tell us what is said. I don't live there and don't have time to pull it up on the Internet.
There still talking but it's all the basic questions and basic answers. How are you, how has your life changed, how are you a better person.

He did say the Texans have not contacted him, but he would love to be here.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #133
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

610 radio: Have you ever been contacted by the Texans?

Plaxico: Umm.. I don't believe that I have, but all I can say is that...to have a guy like Andre and a guy like me, defenses having to double team him or double team me, it's a beautiful situation for a tight end or for a running back...for a whole offense...because it would make a defense pick their poison.

----------------

I caught THE very end of it. That's the only Texans-related comment he made at the portion I came in on. They asked him about Tebow and the Jets and I just sloughed it off and typed up my transcription (above) for the Texans-related comment Plaxico made.

What is interesting is that they asked Plaxico if he had ever been contacted by the Texans...Plaxico says "I don't believe that I have [ever been contacted by the Texans]"
Old 08-09-2012   #134
GP 
Go Texans!

One thing about all this...IF the Texans at some point bring Plaxico in for a workout or try to sign him, the Texans will have an easier time (IMO) negotiating with Plaxico because they have stiff-armed him for basically all of last off-season and now well into training camp.

What we're telling him is that it is up to HIM to show how bad he wants to be here, and how genuine he would be in accepting a lower $$$ contract than what Plaxico might be wanting.

In short: String the guy out, let him sit and wait...and therefore use that as leverage and tell him "This is our offer and we won't accept a counter-offer from you or your agent. Take it or leave it. We're your best shot at another run for a ring."
Old 08-09-2012   #135
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You are correct that most franchises don't work that way. But the Texans are very definitely different in this regard. Remember, Kubiak essentially hired Smith --- not the other way around. This is Kubiak's team.

EDIT: Just saw infantrycak said virtually the same thing. Great minds think alike. ;-)
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #136
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
You are correct that most franchises don't work that way. But the Texans are very definitely different in this regard. Remember, Kubiak essentially hired Smith --- not the other way around. This is Kubiak's team.
See, I just don't think that's the whole truth.

To me, and if anybody has SOLID evidence to the contrary please show it, I think Rick Smith was hired because of a prior working relationship with Gary Kubiak (Broncos days) but was not hired solely because of his ties to Kubiak.

I mean, seriously, why would Bob McNair base his decision on which GM to hire based on what would make his HC the most happy??? If anything, you'd want a GM who is not emotionally tied to the HC. The two persons work together yet are separate in their duties to the team.

And folks, Rick Smith would have no problem sticking around in Houston long after Gary Kubiak has been let go or moves on for other reasons. The GM can have a lot of permanency if he handles his operational aspects very well. Coaches come and go, but a great GM can stabilize a team for decades (see: Steelers, Giants, etc.).

People give Gary Kubiak way too much consideration, IMO. Maybe I sell the guy way too short, though. All in all, I just don't think Gary Kubiak swayed Bob McNair to hire a FOK'er (Friend Of Kubiak). I don't think it was strictly because of Gary Kubiak's influence. A reason why I think that way: I seem to remember Gary Kubiak sticking with the David Carr Reclamation Project although you know damn well that there was no way in Dallas Texas (Hell) that Kubiak realllllyyyyy thought David Carr was going to be the future here. So that tells me that Bob had his own ideas back then, Kubiak is the new guy on the block back then, and I just don't see Kubiak having the sway with Bob that would get Rick Smith hired. Probably endorsed him, but not the overriding factor in Rick Smith's hiring.

I think Bob wanted an up-and-coming guy like Rick Smith, not some NFL beltway dude like Casserly who was ancient and whose glory hole years were behind him in the rearview mirror. It was just a plus that Rick had a connection to Gary, IMO.

Rick is hardcore. He's the guy who plays everyone the whole way and ends up running the show at the end of the movie. Smart, savvy in football, and I just think he'll be the Texans GM for the next 10 to 20 years. Easily. Gary? Not so much.
Old 08-09-2012   #137
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
A reason why I think that way: I seem to remember Gary Kubiak sticking with the David Carr Reclamation Project although you know damn well that there was no way in Dallas Texas (Hell) that Kubiak realllllyyyyy thought David Carr was going to be the future here.
Well I can't agree with this. It is far different to look at a player on tape and to actually coach them. On tape Carr had every physical ability you could want to be a star. His errors like running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage were entirely mental. A great QB coach like Kubiak could easily look at a player making bad mental decisions and think they could train them to make better ones. Didn't happen because Carr isn't dedicated and is as smart as a box of rocks.
Old 08-09-2012   #138
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I can't agree with this. It is far different to look at a player on tape and to actually coach them. On tape Carr had every physical ability you could want to be a star. His errors like running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage were entirely mental. A great QB coach like Kubiak could easily look at a player making bad mental decisions and think they could train them to make better ones. Didn't happen because Carr isn't dedicated and is as smart as a box of rocks.
As a representative of the Box of Rocks Association, I demand an apology for that statement. You have insulted Boxes of Rocks every where for your comparison. We do not have, and have never had any association with HSWNBN.
Old 08-09-2012   #139
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there is alot ovethinking and over wanting drama inside the Texans house. My specualtion is that McSmithiak have discussed Burress as of now made a collective decison not sign him. if there is any type of rift and power play between these guys then I hope it would not be over a Plaixo type situation. Everything that I have seen anywhere suggests that those three communicate with each versus at each other.
Old 08-09-2012   #140
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't expect us to sign Plaxico until after the first game. IF we're going to sign him.

And that, in case you were wondering, is a big 'if'.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read