Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-09-2012   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

How's he doing in camp? Haven't heard much about him and I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #2
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our first round pick Whitney Mercilus

Crazy, I was thinking the same thing last night. From what I've heard here and there on the radio its been pretty much good news. Thing is, I would expect to hear a lot more about a first round pick.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #3
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's because this year (unlike years past) our first round pick isn't starting right out the gate. There's far less pressure on him to succeed immediately, and as a byproduct, there's far less attention being paid to him in regards to the media.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, he'll get his playing time in this season, you can count on that. Whether he starts or not, a 1st round pick had BETTER see some playing time. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #5
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah I've heard more about the offense this summer on the radio and ESPN ( the 30 second segment about Andre Johnson pulling a groin) and that's about it. And quite frankly I love it. I think the defense is quietly getting a lot better and Mercilus will have more energy throughout the game.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This training camp has been different all around, it seems to me. I don't know if I am following it less fervently, or if it's taken a different disposition. But, I'm viewing it as 'no news is good news,' and that the players are performing--as much as they can in such as situation--as well as they are expected to perform.
Old 08-09-2012   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll have a much better idea in 2 more days
Old 08-09-2012   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
This training camp has been different all around, it seems to me. I don't know if I am following it less fervently, or if it's taken a different disposition. But, I'm viewing it as 'no news is good news,' and that the players are performing--as much as they can in such as situation--as well as they are expected to perform.
ditto for me as well, kinda nice to know good things are just around the corner after all the hard work this off season. I study the draft for months before April, posting such in draft forum but there is no way Whitney Mercilus should have still been on the board #26. He was top 20 easy prospect with potential to vault into the top 15. Chicago & Seattle are the teams who passed on Merciuls, drafting 15th & 19th respectively, thankfully for Texans their respective war rooms took less polished prospects in Bruce Irvin & Shea McClellin. Texans won't miss a beat after standing down & watching 100 million dollar DE extraordinaire Mario Williams jet to Buffalo.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
We'll have a much better idea in 2 more days
Damn I can't wait. LOL. There's so much I want to see this pre-season. I don't think we'll see Case Keenum the first game, but I really want to see him throw a few long ones down the field.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Damn I can't wait. LOL. There's so much I want to see this pre-season. I don't think we'll see Case Keenum the first game, but I really want to see him throw a few long ones down the field.
Really?

I expect Matt to take a series or two. Then TJ to finish out the first half. I expect Beck to get the 3rd quarter and Case the 4th.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
ditto for me as well, kinda nice to know good things are just around the corner after all the hard work this off season. I study the draft for months before April, posting such in draft forum but there is no way Whitney Mercilus should have still been on the board #26. He was top 20 easy prospect with potential to vault into the top 15. Chicago & Seattle are the teams who passed on Merciuls, drafting 15th & 19th respectively, thankfully for Texans their respective war rooms took less polished prospects in Bruce Irvin & Shea McClellin. Texans won't miss a beat after standing down & watching 100 million dollar DE extraordinaire Mario Williams jet to Buffalo.
No news is good news.

Merciluus and McClellin will be the best pass rushers in this draft. IMHO (Provided McClellin doesn't have concussions) It's goingto be interesting to see how their careers progress.

100 mil for MW = LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Really?

I expect Matt to take a series or two. Then TJ to finish out the first half. I expect Beck to get the 3rd quarter and Case the 4th.
Keenum will probably play the last 2 series of the game. Think Alex Brink and Gary was only carrying 3 QB's.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #13
False Start
On # 69

Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Really?

Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

John Beck will be the #Texans' third quarterback Saturday against Carolina and Case Keenum will play next week against San Francisco

Old 08-09-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

OTOH, Kubiak's quotes after today's practice:

Quote:
(on the significance of the preseason games for QB Case Keenum) Its huge and I will play (John) Beck before him this week. I may reverse it next week, but I hope to play all four of them this week. But man, he has made a lot of progress. I guess Im giving him a hell of a compliment but Ive told you guys all along, football is important to him. He really works at it. I really like the way hes responded to his opportunity here in Houston. I think were all excited to see him play.
Old 08-09-2012   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude is fast as hell rushing the passer.
Old 08-09-2012   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Dude is fast as hell rushing the passer.
I can't wait to see what Wade does with him.
Old 08-09-2012   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Considering the source, I would expect him to get significant playing time this week
Old 08-09-2012   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Case will have to be electric this preseason to get the #3 spot ahead of Beck, and Beck is going to have to tank it as well.

Keenum is getting some nice praise from Kubiak, but I always read Kubiak's quotes about players with a focus in trying to read between the lines. In the most recent praise Kubiak has for Case, it's not the same "gush level" as we see Kubiak/Keyshawn Martin praise comments.

Kubiak is being nice, is obviously genuine, but there's nothing in the Kubiak praise-for-Keenum quotes that makes me think Case is really standing out from the pack thus far.

So Case Keenum is going to need to maximize his chances and basically make the decision an easy one for Kubiak. I don't think Gary Kubiak is going to just hand the #3 job to Keenum. In fact, I don't think Gary is going to just hand the Kicker job to Bullock either. Gary is growing up. He's realizing he cannot be everybody's pal and play the favoritism games like he did with the David Andersons, the Amobi Okoyes, and the Jacoby Joneses of the NFL. With success, Gary is seemingly unlearning some bad habits from his first several years here.

Case, you better make some noise and be smart with the ball. Period.
Old 08-09-2012   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Considering the source, I would expect him to get significant playing time this week
Exactly.

If John McClain said "Don't buy stock in Company X...that stock will never do anything but sink," I would buy as much stock in Company X as I could.

He has terrible forecasting abilities. He should be a weatherman on a TV station instead of prognosticating for an NFL team every week. He could say "It's gonna' be a hot one today, folks..." and pretty much nail the prediction for most of the year.
Old 08-09-2012   #20
False Start
On # 69

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I put the disclaimer there. lol.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read