Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2012   #81
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Watt down in practice Update: Arm/elbow Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCR View Post
The game is at Reliant CnD
That's somewhat of a relief.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #82
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
And how is that better?
Well, being the 1st regular season at home, I would expect all the grass pods to be new and "perfectly" aligned........I hope.....
Old 08-06-2012   #83
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I would imagine that's a good thing if he's doing push-ups. What say thee CNd?

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on DE J.J. Watts injury) Hes doing excellent. He was doing some push-ups in the training room yesterday. We knew that. Hes so driven in everything he does. Hes so upbeat because he knows hes going to be ready to go and well see where were at here as we get to the middle of the preseason. Hopefully he can come back and play some of the preseason. But obviously the goal is to have him ready for Miami.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-10b6baae55d9
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #84
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I just don't want him trying to do too much too soon.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #85
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
I would imagine that's a good thing if he's doing push-ups. What say thee CNd?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-10b6baae55d9
All I'm going to say is that even in most partial dislocations (which this was not described as such), splint or sling immobilization is typically carried out for at least a week. After that, range of motion exercises. Then, strengthening phase which begins with exercise beginning with gentle supporting muscle exercises to regain full range of motion, graduating to regain full strength. Then power exercises when muscles are at full strength. Push ups for a 288 lb man on the 4th day? Something appears to be wrong with the reporting of the injury or the rehab regimen.
Old 08-07-2012   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
All I'm going to say is that even in most partial dislocations (which this was not described as such), splint or sling immobilization is typically carried out for at least a week. After that, range of motion exercises. Then, strengthening phase which begins with exercise beginning with gentle supporting muscle exercises to regain full range of motion, graduating to regain full strength. Then power exercises when muscles are at full strength. Push ups for a 288 lb man on the 4th day? Something appears to be wrong with the reporting of the injury or the rehab regimen.
Unfortunately, the drive to succeed seems to drive the player to accelerate a comeback sooner than what's best for him.

The result: Risk of re-injury or risk of compensating injury.

The environment of team locker rooms has been, and always will be, one of high expectations. Players have it of themselves, and fans have those expectations. Coaches too. Etc.

Instead of Kubiak speaking in glowing terms of JJ doing pushups...I wish he would have said something to the effect of "I told him we'd fine him $250 if we caught him doing that again. He needs to rest it, not prove something."

Oh well. Maybe it was not a severe dislocation.
Old 08-07-2012   #87
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really care what optimism that CnD or Rondo have to say about it. This is NOT a minimal injury. This hurts. He will be out for a while and hopefully not permanently injured like I am (torn rotator cuff but started with a dislocation). I am definitely worried. Maybe he will DeMeco it and wear that gigantic thing he wore last year.
Old 08-07-2012   #88
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I don't really care what optimism that CnD or Rondo have to say about it. This is NOT a minimal injury. This hurts. He will be out for a while and hopefully not permanently injured like I am (torn rotator cuff but started with a dislocation). I am definitely worried. Maybe he will DeMeco it and wear that gigantic thing he wore last year.
You are right in that it is not a minor injury, but Watt does have access to some of the finest medical care in advice in the world. I wager that pro athletes can and do recover faster than the average person.

I am cautious, but I think Watt will be fine.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #89
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I'm not sure where you may have gotten the impression that I believe that this is a minimal injury. Just the opposite. The description of the injury reflects a complete dislocation. If this is so, it implies significant ligament damage. We haven't and probably will not receive any comments as to what if any nerve stretch effects may have occured. All of this in mind certainly is why I would have to question a rehab at this time which includes push ups (even if it were only a partial dislocation). I've seen examples of "uncomplicated" dislocations where too intense rehab too soon have ended up doubling an expected 3-6 week return to play. This is not to even touch upon the potential compensatory injury factor.
Old 08-07-2012   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not a doctor ( I have stayed in Holiday Inn Express) but agree with you 100%. I think is a lot of pressure for players to get back on field quickly, even if that pressure is from the player. The next two weeks off can only help Watt.
Old 08-07-2012   #91
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not sure where you may have gotten the impression that I believe that this is a minimal injury. Just the opposite. The description of the injury reflects a complete dislocation. If this is so, it implies significant ligament damage. We haven't and probably will not receive any comments as to what if any nerve stretch effects may have occured. All of this in mind certainly is why I would have to question a rehab at this time which includes push ups (even if it were only a partial dislocation). I've seen examples of "uncomplicated" dislocations where too intense rehab too soon have ended up doubling an expected 3-6 week return to play. This is not to even touch upon the potential compensatory injury factor.

Please accept my apologies. I misunderstood. I read it the other way. I absolutely agree with you.

Old 08-08-2012   #92
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like the Texans staff have their own philosophy for rehabbing this injury.

Quote:
Defensive end J.J. Watt (dislocated elbow) is still out, but he is no longer wearing a sling on his left arm.
Link.

I understand wanting to expedite the timeframe, but it seems they're taking an unnecessary risk. It's not like this injury and the path to recovery is not well documented. It's frustrating.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #93
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: JJ Watt down in practice Update: Arm/elbow Injury

He was on the jugs machine catching balls 1 handed today.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #94
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Could you imagine him lined up at TE in a jumbo package? That would be freakin' awesome!!!

On a side note, I hope they don't screw up his rehab with stuff like this and pushups. Dislocated anything, beyond fingers and toes, is pretty serious.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #95
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Have you been attended the practices this year?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #96
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Have you been attended the practices this year?
On the radio this morning, Nick Wright said "There is a player on the jugs machine and he has dropped 3 of 9 balls so far."

I think great, what now?

Then Nick said, "It is JJ Watt catching balls with one hand. He dropped the first 3 then caught 6 in a row"
Old 08-10-2012   #97
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Looks like a right-handed Rondo imitation I described in a previous post..... left arm braced and dangling.

J.J. Watt tries a new skill at camp as he recovers
August 8, 2012

Quote:
He can’t partake in normal defensive end activities just yet, so J.J. Watt worked on another skill during today’s practice.

For a good portion of practice Watt caught footballs from the jugs machine with his right hand. Didn’t drop many, either. At one point he caught 50 in a row.

“We know he can catch them, that’s for sure,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said.

That much was clear during that spectacular pick six against the Bengals in the first game of last year’s playoffs. Texans coach Gary Kubiak said with a smile he just hopes Watt is practicing interceptions, because he won’t be catching passes from quarterback Matt Schaub.
Old 08-10-2012   #98
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

well i'd be dang near tickled if he was a TE but he is not.
Old 08-10-2012   #99
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95576 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Put that man at TE on goal line!!
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #100
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223599 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

man, I love watching that play. 100% total pure grade awesomeness.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read