Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2012   #21
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips Blitz Packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That would really explain:
1) The Mercilus Pick
2) The Demeco trade

If they're planning for a future with Barwin and Mercilus on the outside and Cush and Reed on the inside, it makes a lot of sense. That, and picking up Bradie James as a transition player until Reed can transition to the middle. That would give us an entire starting LB corps drafted in the last few years instead of 3 OLBs and a looming hole in the middle.

Unless they saw Sharpton as the future in the middle... which I'm starting to doubt.
There's a reason why I projected Sharpton as a 4th rounder instead of where he was drafted (3rd round).

He's a bit too small to be "great" in the 34 as a SAM.
He was pretty good in coverage in college against TEs and RBs, but it's hard to say how that would translate to the next level.

Sharpton is a guy with a quick first step and a quick short burst.
His 10-yd split is 1.58 compared to 1.56 for Morris Claiborne, a first round CB.
(J. Jo, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Harris and Cushing all checked in at 1.53; Demeco was at 1.64.)

I agree that Sharpton is really stretching it at either ILB in the 34.
But he did well last year though; he was the first man in (and not Dobbins).

Sharpton is a hell a lot stronger than most people think.
I had mentioned him taking on Iupati to a draw.
And this guy is what? 331 lbs, and he was a first round draft pick for the Niners.

The injury might do him in - a very good possibility.
Still, I thought I'd remind folks about certain of their concern that might have been a bit too harsh.

Sharpton's ability and skill sets should be good at least good enough as a back-up in the 3-4 from everything I've been seeing.

P.S. - I liked Sharpton out of college due to his versatility; he played all 3 LB positions in the 43 and played them well (at the collegiate level, at Miami). Also, he was a decent pass rusher when put on the LOS as an OLB (there weren't enough snaps to realy tell the story there.) He can rush better from the inside (it doesn't have to result in a sack or a QB hurry, just the fact that he beat his man in a certain amount of time to be considered "effective").
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There's a reason why I projected Sharpton as a 4th rounder instead of where he was drafted (3rd round).
Sharpton was actually drafted with the 4th pick in the 4th round of the 2010 draft (overall selection #102).
Old 08-07-2012   #23
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Sharpton was actually drafted with the 4th pick in the 4th round of the 2010 draft (overall selection #102).
Thanks for the correction.

Basically, I thought of Sharpton as a 4th (not quite as high as #4, but...)

A high 4th is a "long shot" to become a starter, but should be a legitimate back-up... and so on.

Again, you can see that I like his ability.
Whether it was a bit of a reach, an overall fourth round grade was quite fair.
Old 08-07-2012   #24
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Offense should counter with quick passes to TEs if Qb has a good release. I think success for defense comes from how well team can hide the call. I think we have not come close to seeing the full defensive package Wade can use.
As I have posted before, either Barwin or Watt said that (and irrespective of Wade's supposed "second year drop-off") that last season (and because of no OTA's) that Wade only installed about 75% of his defense. *WOW, was that a horribly constructed, run on sentence with poor overall grammar*

If true, we could see the NFL's number #1 ranked D this year.
Old 08-07-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
As I have posted before, either Barwin or Watt said that (and irrespective of Wade's supposed "second year drop-off") that last season (and because of no OTA's) that Wade only installed about 75% of his defense. *WOW, was that a horribly constructed, run on sentence with poor overall grammar*

If true, we could see the NFL's number #1 ranked D this year.
I don't know where they will rank, Bill.
But we both love great defensive football, and I intend to enjoy the next one just as much as the last.
Old 08-07-2012   #26
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't know where they will rank, Bill.
But we both love great defensive football, and I intend to enjoy the next one just as much as the last.
Yessir... I agree. BTW, you need to call your shot whenever you're coming out to re-visit Blue Crew!!

That said, I'm calling my shot. The Texans will be a top 5 defense (#obviously *minus major injuries*). This defense has the potential to be a *dare I say it* dominant defense that won Baltimore a Super Bowl Championship with Trent Dilfer at the offensive helm???

SH!TE happens... One can hope!!! 45 years of nothingness in Houston Pro-football!!

GO GAMBLERS!!
Old 08-08-2012   #27
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
There would be no NT in the game. You wouldn't have cody or Earl in the game there if it's a definite passing situation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I heard wade say in an interview that he is going to put his best pass rushers on the field and there might be times where barwin, merci, and reed are out there together.
Just to add my two cents to your line of thought -

Often Antonio Smith moved inside on passing downs making room for another pass rusher on the outside and moving to a four man front (usually MW). It is possible we see a front similar to the following:

Mercilus Watt Smith Barwin

Reed Cushing

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #28
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

What's doubly exciting for me is that once they establish they can come get you real fast by sending 6, they'll line up as imposingly as possible and end up rushing 3.....

.....and still get a sack!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read