Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-06-2012   #21
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerry Jones cried after losing to Texans in 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Say what you want about Jerry Jones in this scenario, but if this is true I have more respect for the man, because that shows passion. Maybe the old man has to much passion and arrogance at times, but if he really cried that showed how much his team's success means to him not only for his ambition, but also to have the best team in Texas. I only wish I felt the confidence that Bob felt that same way. I think Bob is a classy guy and a really good man, but I don't have the confidence that Bob has that kind of passion for the sport of football. I know that some people in here love the guy and I understand that, but I want to see Bob show a little more grit and passion for winning. Maybe he has it, and I'm not saying that it isn't existent, but I want him to push it out there publicly so I can feel it. If he did, I'd be really proud.
The only issue I really have regarding Jerry Jones, and it's really any owner, is the tendency to get overly involved. If you hire someone to do a job, you don't interfere with what they're trying to do. If you feel you have to interfere and cause problems, then you should just fire the person rather than cause drama. I know, he's the owner of the team, he's entitled to blah blah blah. But the distraction can be among the worst things for a team to deal with.

I'll much prefer an owner who, if he has disagreements with the coaching staff, keeps it out of the public eye, and runs his team from behind the scene.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #22
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post
The only issue I really have regarding Jerry Jones, and it's really any owner, is the tendency to get overly involved. If you hire someone to do a job, you don't interfere with what they're trying to do. If you feel you have to interfere and cause problems, then you should just fire the person rather than cause drama. I know, he's the owner of the team, he's entitled to blah blah blah. But the distraction can be among the worst things for a team to deal with.

I'll much prefer an owner who, if he has disagreements with the coaching staff, keeps it out of the public eye, and runs his team from behind the scene.
Couldn't agree more.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #23
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This will fall on deaf ears but it is a lot more than the 5 rings + 3 other appearances. From 1966 thru 1985 they missed the playoffs twice neither time with a losing record. Then they rebuilt and went on an 8 playoff in 9 year stretch. 34 years with 6 losing seasons. In our coexistence they have been to the playoffs 4 times and we have 1. Jacking with Cowboy fans seems like asking for what you get until we can build some at least 5 year time period of better success.
What was that? Uhh? Can't quite make it out.
Old 08-06-2012   #24
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
This will fall on deaf ears but it is a lot more than the 5 rings + 3 other appearances. From 1966 thru 1985 they missed the playoffs twice neither time with a losing record. Then they rebuilt and went on an 8 playoff in 9 year stretch. 34 years with 6 losing seasons. In our coexistence they have been to the playoffs 4 times and we have 1. Jacking with Cowboy fans seems like asking for what you get until we can build some at least 5 year time period of better success.
Right...but the only way to fairly compare the 2 is to compare the body of work over the last 10 years. Neither team has made the SB in the past 10 years. In fact, the 5 rings don't mean anything during that time. At best, the cowboys were marginally better than the Texans over the pat 10 years...but that's about to change.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post

First off, I'm not disagreeing with you. That's what I want the owner of my team to do.

But Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys so that he could be a "real" football guy. He's like Al Davis without the football credentials. He's not just the owner, he's the general manager. He hasn't hired a real GM because he enjoys being a general manager. He really believes, and has said on several occasions, that he could be a damned fine football coach. And he wants to hire coaches who are going to listen to him, pay attention to his advice, and do what he says because that's why he bought the team.

His purpose in owning the Dallas Cowboys isn't really to put together the best group of professionals to go out and win Super Bowls, his purpose is to play Madden in real life. This is his way of playing fantasy football.

And I don't really have a problem with that. If you've got the money to throw around like that, rock on.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #26
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
First off, I'm not disagreeing with you. That's what I want the owner of my team to do.

But Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys so that he could be a "real" football guy. He's like Al Davis without the football credentials. He's not just the owner, he's the general manager. He hasn't hired a real GM because he enjoys being a general manager. He really believes, and has said on several occasions, that he could be a damned fine football coach. And he wants to hire coaches who are going to listen to him, pay attention to his advice, and do what he says because that's why he bought the team.

His purpose in owning the Dallas Cowboys isn't really to put together the best group of professionals to go out and win Super Bowls, his purpose is to play Madden in real life. This is his way of playing fantasy football.

And I don't really have a problem with that. If you've got the money to throw around like that, rock on.
Well what's fine and dandy isn't always what's most prudent either.

Once the guy fired Jimmy Johnson, it was over. And has been ever since.

Now Jerry is trying to stubbornly prove that he (Jerry) knows football enough to run things with a puppet coach at the helm.

If this mentality means the Cowboys struggle every season for a long time, then I'm fine with it. Their fans have to wonder, though.
Old 08-07-2012   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well what's fine and dandy isn't always what's most prudent either.

Once the guy fired Jimmy Johnson, it was over. And has been ever since.

Now Jerry is trying to stubbornly prove that he (Jerry) knows football enough to run things with a puppet coach at the helm.

If this mentality means the Cowboys struggle every season for a long time, then I'm fine with it. Their fans have to wonder, though.
That was my point.

Jerry Jones doesn't care about the fans or about putting the best possible football team on the field. He just wants to run things and have his fingers in every aspect of the team.

If you're wanting a team to be successful, that's a crap way of going about it.

I'm glad I'm not a Cowboy fan because I expect Jones to be like Al Davis, with his team getting further and further removed from the realities of the NFL as time goes on.
Old 08-07-2012   #28
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

This brings up an interesting position for me as a Texans fan. While I don't care for Jerry Jones, I certainly don't hate him or anything. But I hate the Cowboys team more than any other team in the NFL, including the Titans. With the Titans, it's the opposite, I don't really hate the team (other than them being a division rival), but I do hate and loathe their owner.

I'm not every sure why I'm even mentioning this. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think also another reason Jerry cried in 2002 was due to the fact that it was before all of his face tightening plastic surgery occurred.

I mean, the dude right now couldn't squeeze out a tear from that Skeletor face even if he wanted to.

:burrrrrrrnnnn:
Old 08-07-2012   #30
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I have never really thought about it like that with Jerry Jones. It makes a lot of sense. It's pretty cool if you think about it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I have never really thought about it like that with Jerry Jones. It makes a lot of sense. It's pretty cool if you think about it.
If I had that kind of money, I'd probably do the same thing. That would be awesome... for me. For everyone else associated with the team and the fans, it would suck pretty bad unless I actually turned out to be good at it or got lucky.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read