Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012   #261
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official 2012 Training Camp Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Over the course of camp, both Martin and Posey have had some flashy days, not flashy days. Posey's size is nice, and Martin has played both in the slot and outside. Next week Kubiak says he's going to try to settle down the WR position so the quarterbacks can get work with the same guys more.

Think Martin may get on the field quicker because he fits the slot role more than Posey and has been working special teams. But both Posey and Jean have had their moments.

Don't think anyone can over emphasize any one or two days. I think this competition is wide open. This preseason will be very interesting.
Went to camp this morning, today the offense looked much sharper than yesterday. As TC said, both KMart and Posey have had flashy moments. Martin made a really nice grab to open the scrimmage session and Posey made a sweet snag on a bomb down the left sideline from Yates (I think) to end the practice session.

Back to the WR plays. It's not like the DBs got beat badly; the DBs were step-for-step with K-Mart & Posey but they made the catches anyway. If these two guys continue to improve one of them may just supplant KW in a year or so. Perhaps before this year is done.

Maybe it's familiarity with what's coming, but the defense seems to stuff nearly every running play. I think during the early scrimmage (when they were on the north end of the field) Forsett got blown up in the backfield - drawing Oooooo's from the bleacher crowd. I know, TC, guys in shorts... don't be too impressed or depressed.

Going back on Monday...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #262
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Just to kind of add to that as well Nate, if you look at their last 2 full years in college Posey bettered Martin in yards and YPC.

Martin: 2010- 32 rec 394 yards 12.3 YPC
2011- 66 rec 777 yards 11.9 YPC
Posey: 2009- 60 rec 828 yards 13.8 YPC
2010- 53 rec 848 yards 16.0 YPC

This isn't to say that Posey has more big play potential, but just to say to not discount his ability to make plays down the field. It can be argued Posey played with the poorer passer as well in college.
Will be nice to see both in a full stadium. Unlike some of the WRs they've tried to develop, they aren't small school guys or development guys. Kubiak needs them to be ready quickly, and both look better in training camp than they did in minicamp.

I wouldn't be too up or too down on any of these guys. There's going to be mistakes because this system demands a lot of the WR position, but there's been plenty to be encouraged about with these guys.

And as an aside, the running back group has looked beastly. Wrap those guys in bubble wrap right away.
Old 08-04-2012   #263
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't remember the 2006 camp as being that bad. There was still a lot of hope that Kubiak would turn Carr around. The Texans had just had their best draft in franchise history (Williams, Ryans, Spencer, Winston, Daniels). I look back and remember a lot of positives, which coming off a 2-14 season can be hard to find. I felt pretty upbeat watching that camp.
I didn't see a pre Shaub training camp but did see Schaub's first year . I'm curious to see how Kubiak has grown as a coach . I get the feeling they brought in 100% grade A football players who are good for Kubiak's style .
Old 08-04-2012   #264
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And as an aside, the running back group has looked beastly. Wrap those guys in bubble wrap right away.
Speaking of running backs...... Does Arian look any quicker or faster than last year? It looked to me that he was a tad faster last year than his rookie year. Is he still doing the speed training in the offseason with his brother? It really seemed like to me the work he put in with him paid off.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #265
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't remember the 2006 camp as being that bad. There was still a lot of hope that Kubiak would turn Carr around. The Texans had just had their best draft in franchise history (Williams, Ryans, Spencer, Winston, Daniels). I look back and remember a lot of positives, which coming off a 2-14 season can be hard to find. I felt pretty upbeat watching that camp.
Maybe I just was getting crushed with blog commenters. The David Carr reclamation project was something that zero fans had any patience with, and that whole stupid off-season was Bush/VY bleh combined with Mario Williams toe issue that came up in camp, then plantar fasciitis.
Old 08-04-2012   #266
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Speaking of running backs...... Does Arian look any quicker or faster than last year? It looked to me that he was a tad faster last year than his rookie year. Is he still doing the speed training in the offseason with his brother?
I don't know what his workouts entail but I know he works out with his brother.

I'm not sure about being any quicker. Last year he had all those hamstring issues. Year before he had a clean camp with Tate having more issues.

He, Tate and Forsett just look season ready right now. Just fun to watch Foster pick his spots, has great patience finding blocks and then gliding to a different gear when he sees open space. I think Foster and Martin have the most distinctive running styles in camp. Martin has an interesting suddenness to his runs, like video game stuff.
Old 08-04-2012   #267
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Off the subject of WRs how does the OLINE look?
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #268
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Bullock hurt? He wasn't wearing pads yesterday and didn't kick.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #269
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Off the subject of WRs how does the OLINE look?
Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on the depth at tackle behind Rashad Butler and Derek Newton) Well, right now that would be a little scary because those guys are young. I think (Andrew) Gardner does some good stuff. The young kid (Nathan) Menkin has done some good stuff as well as the kid from Purdue (Nick Mondek) that we drafted. Theyve got talent, but obviously they have a ways to go. Were holding our breath that all three of those guys can stay healthy, but you have to have players that can be flexible too. Maybe Brandon Brooks, at some point, is a flexible player because hes obviously has the size and the feet to play outside too.
HT.com
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #270
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said you're really comparing apples to oranges in terms of the type of receivers they are. Martin's movements and change of direction are more sudden than Posey, so yeah he'd definitely fit better in the slot. The measurables that you mentioned indicate that.
I was comparing apples to apples, you said something along the lines of "big play potential". I see Martin having that in our system more so than Posey because of his YAC ability and just because of his strengths aligning with the lack of depth in the slot position. I can see the argument for Posey's vertical threat in our naked boot plays. Just one man's opinion.
Old 08-04-2012   #271
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Hey Texans Chick or anyone else that's been to Training Camp, I'm looking for some opinions on Garrett Graham-TE. How's he looked so far? I can't help the feeling that if I'm Kubiak, it's time to stick your foot in Graham's ass for motivational reasons. With Dreesen gone it's time for Graham to step up or go bye bye. Thanks.
From HT.com this morning:
Quote:
Kubiak
(on TE Garrett Graham) I think hes one of the more improved players on our team right now. He really has grown up from last year. Hes healthy and performing well. Hes got a big role on this team with Joel (Dreessen) missing and hes shown that hes going to be able to handle that. After a week, Ive been impressed.
Old 08-04-2012   #272
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Here are Kubiak's extensive comments from this morning's practice.
Old 08-04-2012   #273
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I was comparing apples to apples, you said something along the lines of "big play potential". I see Martin having that in our system more so than Posey because of his YAC ability and just because of his strengths aligning with the lack of depth in the slot position. I can see the argument for Posey's vertical threat in our naked boot plays. Just one man's opinion.
Gotcha, and you have valid points for Martin making big plays EARLIER than Posey because Martin is a natural fit in the slot. Both will have opportunities to make big plays at some point in their careers here. That's the key thing.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #274
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gotcha, and you have valid points for Martin making big plays EARLIER than Posey because Martin is a natural fit in the slot. Both will have opportunities to make big plays at some point in their careers here. That's the key thing.
Indeed, at the very least, several receivers HAVE to step up. We've got 2 proven wide receivers on this team and a bunch of unknowns as it stands. I hope they all stick.
Old 08-04-2012   #275
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic View Post
Is Bullock hurt? He wasn't wearing pads yesterday and didn't kick.
Nothing mentioned by Kubiak on that yesterday. Today he kicked.
Old 08-04-2012   #276
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90177 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
AlanBurge "Schaub's been with Keshawn Martin for 7 days. Watching that kind of come together & get better each day has been exciting for me." - Kubiak about 1 hour ago reply retweet favorite
So Schaub and Martin are developing a chemistry already? Combine that with what Steph said about Martins running ability being similar to Arians....drool.....
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #277
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
I don't know what his workouts entail but I know he works out with his brother.

I'm not sure about being any quicker. Last year he had all those hamstring issues. Year before he had a clean camp with Tate having more issues.

He, Tate and Forsett just look season ready right now. Just fun to watch Foster pick his spots, has great patience finding blocks and then gliding to a different gear when he sees open space. I think Foster and Martin have the most distinctive running styles in camp. Martin has an interesting suddenness to his runs, like video game stuff.

I definitely got that impression. It was only one practice that I was able to view, but he didn't seem to have to build up speed, he just plants his foot and he's already in second gear. Something very visible in his talent, I think he will be a big asset to the slot game this year.
Old 08-04-2012   #278
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55805 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on the tailback competition) I think its the best group Ive ever been around as a coach because of how theyre playing, not because of their names. Itll be interesting to see. I think Arian (Foster) and Ben (Tate) have had an excellent camp. Theyre pushing each other to a level that they dont even understand what theyre doing to each other, but its going to be great for both of them and their career and great for our team.
Kubiak quote there - Man that excites me. We have crazy good depth and when you have two guys as good as Tate and Foster, that competition can only bring out the best in each. Is there a better group at RB in the league? If not, I want to know who is. LOVE it!
Old 08-04-2012   #279
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Kubiak quote there - Man that excites me. We have crazy good depth and when you have two guys as good as Tate and Foster, that competition can only bring out the best in each. Is there a better group at RB in the league? If not, I want to know who is. LOVE it!
Well at least some folks considered them number one mid last season - Link

#2 lost their #2. #3 has shown no faith in their #2. #4 had their #2 fail a conditioning test. And frankly #5 was a joke.
Old 08-05-2012   #280
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep thinking of Derrick Mason's best years when I read about Martin in this thread.

Mason was a killer on the field because he would snag stuff and get crazy YAC out of it. He was a 3rd down machine, IIRC.

Defenses gonna have to pick their poison between Foster/Tate, OD/Graham, AJ, and KW/Martin.

I like our receivers this year. Even with the departure if Dreessen...I feel like we're going to see a better passing game this year. I mean that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read