Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2012   #61
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx
Wink Re: USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Examples please...?
And I mean guys we had a shot to get...

I mean would you rather have drafted a KW replacement unit with one of our 1sts or keep who we drafted -- Mercilus, or Watt, or Cushing (yes, I purposely omitted K.Jackson)...

...or would you rather have to pay through the nose to sign some "name" vet. And I can't think of anyone we can afford or who wouldn't have put us much deeper in salary cap hell...

I guess my bottom line question is... who would you erase from the roster to get the KW replacement unit? And who would that guy be?

A motivated randy moss would make this offense impossible to defend jordy nelson was a 2nd rd pick.
Old 08-03-2012   #62
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: USA Today: Kevin Walter is not a second-rate No. 2 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, a lot of us in the mock draft area was looking to find a good receiver in the draft to possibly groom as a replacement for AJ eventually.

We discusses the possibilty of another veteran WR as well.

Having an immediate-producing veteran that fits this system would cost money that I don't think we have (I'm not a cap expert, but there are guys on here who are really good).

There a good receivers out there that won't want to "really" block hard for the RBs, I can guarantee that.

Lots of nuances to cover.

It's not the simple matter about a guy who can make some plays.
It's not Madden where you can plug in any guy you like and can be sure that it will work.

Again, I understand that you - just like any of us, really - want to upgrade each and every position.

I'm looking as well, but IMO, I don't think it's time for KW yet.
Mostly agree with this post.

When do you think would be a good time to replace Walter as WR2?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #63
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Mostly agree with this post.

When do you think would be a good time to replace Walter as WR2?
As soon as someone can beat him out of that position. LOL. In all seriousness, any upgrade is a good upgrade. I'm really hoping that a few of these rookies and inexperienced WRs step up this year, we are short as hell in that position. I will say this, if Walter is still our #2 guy in 2013 we should really begin to worry. Because that would mean we just aren't picking or coaching the WRs right. Walter is good, but he is replaceable. He ain't no AJ.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #64
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Kw just lacks the speed necessary to stretch the field, no problem with hands or ability to run the routes or make the blocks.
Its not just about having speed to stretch the field to me. Walter has struggled against man coverage the last couple of years. In zone he still is good because he knows this offense so well and knows where to find the open seams. He just lacks the quickness and acceleration to beat good corners running any route against man. I think thats why you'll actually see him playing inside more this year. Ideally you'd want Martin playing in the role, but we move our receivers around so much I don't even think it matters. All of the receivers including Andre will see snaps out of the slot at some point.

Just to put it out there, I really do like Walter and I'm glad he's on the team. Like I said earlier in this thread he does some really good things for our team. I think what everyone wants is a legit threat opposite Andre to help pull some of the double teams away from him. I've wondered for years how much better the offense could be with another downfield threat on the team. Jacoby was supposed to be that guy and it didn't work out. Thats not Walter's fault. I believe the Texans see Posey filling that role next year and down the line with Martin being our Stokley in the slot. Jean to me can fill Walter's shoes next year, but he'll have to get consistent making tough catches. That is one thing KW excels at.

Last edited by Texn4life; 08-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Walter was picked up as a possession receiver, and I don't think they ever intended for him to be a no. 1 receiver. He's a compliment to AJ, not a replacement.
Compare the completion percentage of catchable balls thrown to each individual reciever in the league - KW will be at or near the top of that statistic.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #66
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Kevin Walter is not "#2" on the depth chart. That's not the way it works on this team, for better or worse. If AJ goes down, the team doesn't look to KW to step into AJ's role. THAT is what a #2 should be in most people's minds. But that isn't the way it works on the Texans. KW has his role as a starter across from AJ. If AJ goes down, the team tries to look to someone else to fill AJ's spot and they don't change Walter's role much at all. When AJ went down last year, they barely targeted KW. They mostly kept trying to feed JJ.

Like it or not, the coaching staff here does not share your opinion of what KW's job is or should be. Get over it.
Old 08-03-2012   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Kevin Walter is not "#2" on the depth chart. That's not the way it works on this team, for better or worse. If AJ goes down, the team doesn't look to KW to step into AJ's role. THAT is what a #2 should be in most people's minds. But that isn't the way it works on the Texans. KW has his role as a starter across from AJ. If AJ goes down, the team tries to look to someone else to fill AJ's spot and they don't change Walter's role much at all. When AJ went down last year, they barely targeted KW. They mostly kept trying to feed JJ.

Like it or not, the coaching staff here does not share your opinion of what KW's job is or should be. Get over it.
That's what I was saying. KW has his role and he fills his niche doing what he needs to do. AJ has his role. When AJ goes down, KW doesn't move up and start doing AJ's job. He's not suited to that function.

In this offense, the different receiver slots have different requirements and skill-sets. Having KW replace AJ would be like having Caldwell replace Duane Brown -- you could probably do it in a pinch but it's not preferable and the results are not going to be good. But the reverse is also true, you don't want AJ doing KW's job.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with all of this kw niche stuff.

Kw has remained a starter because they haven't gotten anyone better.

When kubiak first got here he went out and got Eric moulds to be the #2 wr. Ther is no blocking wr role on this team. That's pure fan myth. Again, the reason kw is still a starter is because they simply have not had anyone to challenge him for the spot. They have made due with the best they had to offer.

If these rookies step up I would not be shocked if kw is not on the team next year.

If a receiver emerges as a real threat in the passing game on a consistent basis, expect to see kw's snaps dwindled.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #69
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Ther is no blocking wr role on this team. That's pure fan myth.
Well you are dispelling a myth not asserted by anyone. Nobody says there is a blocking wr role. What is stated is Kubiak prefers wrs who can block (and has directly stated such on more than one occasion), plans on good blocking from his wrs and Walter is excellent at blocking. It has been noted AJ and Walter may be the best tandem of wrs at blocking in the league - certainly near the top. Nobody means such an observation to mean AJ is in a blocking wr role.
Old 08-03-2012   #70
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

When kubiak first got here he went out and got Eric moulds to be the #2 wr. Ther is no blocking wr role on this team. That's pure fan myth. Again, the reason kw is still a starter is because they simply have not had anyone to challenge him for the spot. They have made due with the best they had to offer.

If these rookies step up I would not be shocked if kw is not on the team next year.

If a receiver emerges as a real threat in the passing game on a consistent basis, expect to see kw's snaps dwindled.
I agree with the bold ..... but as was stated earlier in the thread , for someone to challenge him for his starting spot , thats gonna be a pretty good player.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #71
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There's not a lot you've said that I necessarily disagree with.

If one of these rookies steps up and does a better job than KW, then KW will get less playing time. If several of these young receivers step up and play better than KW, then KW will not be on the team for very much longer.

But being a good blocker is one of the things that goes into the equation to determine if someone is as good or better than KW. If a WR can't block, they won't be on this team for very long and they definitely won't be unseating KW. I don't care what sort of deep threat they are.

Right now, no one does KWs job better than he does. And Rick Smith's job is to find several people who do.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #72
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There's not a lot you've said that I necessarily disagree with.

If one of these rookies steps up and does a better job than KW, then KW will get less playing time. If several of these young receivers step up and play better than KW, then KW will not be on the team for very much longer.

But being a good blocker is one of the things that goes into the equation to determine if someone is as good or better than KW. If a WR can't block, they won't be on this team for very long and they definitely won't be unseating KW. I don't care what sort of deep threat they are.

Right now, no one does KWs job better than he does. And Rick Smith's job is to find several people who do.
This is where we are going to disagree.

The texans need more receivers that are going to help further open the passing game. Doesn't matter if it's deep, short slants, red zone threats....whatever.

Minoan made a comment today about Martin and how be has the potential to be a game breaker by taking short catches for long gains.

I just disagree that blocking is going to be the determining factor. It's important of course, but as a wr being able to make plays in the passing game is more important.

Jmo.

And I said earlier that I actually think kw has receiving skills, but he's going to have to tap more into his receiving self if he wants to be a starter here for a few more years because him being a good blocker is not going to keep him his job.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #73
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

quick...

who was the WR2 for Kubiak in his Bronco SB run?

For you youngsters...Rod Smith was the go-to guy (wr1). Shannon Sharpe was his Owen Daniels middle of the field target and Kevin Walter, er...I mean Easy Ed McCaffrey was his WR2.

Same kind of offense, same kind of WR2...big lanky guy who could block and run persistent routes.

Ed McCaffrey

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #74
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
quick...

who was the WR2 for Kubiak in his Bronco SB run?

For you youngsters...Rod Smith was the go-to guy (wr1). Shannon Sharpe was his Owen Daniels middle of the field target and Kevin Walter, er...I mean Easy Ed McCaffrey was his WR2.

Same kind of offense, same kind of WR2...big lanky guy who could block and run persistent routes.
Yep. People can dismiss the fact that KW has a different role all they want, but KW is on this team as a starter doing what he does on purpose. Kubiak pretty well went out and got KW to do exactly what he's been doing.
Old 08-03-2012   #75
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Walter doesn't take near the hits and collisions that Andre has had to absorb over the years. Not really a fair comparison.
Walter absorbs his fair share of contact, he does a lot of dirty work & willing to go over the middle. Point being he has been extremely durable. If Andre was as durable his numbers would be off the chart. That is all I meant.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #76
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Loved Ed McCaffery, (i mean how can you not love a guy who cut off the back of his shoes because he felt like tighter shoes would help him run faster!) while there are some comparisons with KW, Ed did something that KW just doesn't seem to be able to do anymore, get separation outside.

I think the biggest problem is they have him outside, I really think he'd be killer where he belongs, which is as a slot WR.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yates to Walter. TD!!! = Texans playoff birth.

Walter is big, strong and tough. A perfect slot receiver. I'm not sure who the folks are that criticize him are, but maybe they should understand what a slot receiver does.

The only thing the Texans need is a receiver in a 3 receiver set that can be a deep threat opposite of Andre and G*d forbid if Andre goes down, become the #1.
I do not think the arguement is if Walter can play slot but if he is #2 WR. IMO, the #2 should be able to move up to #1 if needed even if the production does not match. Everytime AJ has gone out, I do not remember Walter ever taking his place.
Old 08-03-2012   #78
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Loved Ed McCaffery, (i mean how can you not love a guy who cut off the back of his shoes because he felt like tighter shoes would help him run faster!) while there are some comparisons with KW, Ed did something that KW just doesn't seem to be able to do anymore, get separation outside.

I think the biggest problem is they have him outside, I really think he'd be killer where he belongs, which is as a slot WR.
Ed had more long speed but I don't think he was any quicker than Walter. Personally I think that one of the most important traits for a slot wr is change of direction...a waterbug type quality. You may as well run a two TE offense or with a Hback if you want bigger guys inside. They would do a better job on the edge than a guy like Walter. Walter is a good blocker...for a wr.

Old 08-03-2012   #79
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

If this is true, why does every position have a backup except for AJ?
Old 08-03-2012   #80
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If this is true, why does every position have a backup except for AJ?
not true. lots of "swing" players on this team backing up multiple positions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read