Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012   #121
2012Champs
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,625
Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Uh, no.

Coach is watching the field, not trying to keep tabs on if #80 is complying with the trainer's advice and coach's decision that he (AJ) remain off the field.

I'd be MORE pissed if our coach was not watching the game on the field. He doesn't need to be babysitting players...he's got 53 grown ass men and can't watch em all at once.

So if #80 finds a way to sneak onto the field when he shouldn't be out there...then that's on #80 and on #80 alone.


Would it be more appeasing if I said the entire coaching staff? If a coach tells you to sit and you dont then they have lost control of their job, sure the player is at fault as well but in the end what happens on the field/sidelines lands squarely on the coaches' shoulders
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #122
Texn4life
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 33
Posts: 3,055
Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Would it be more appeasing if I said the entire coaching staff? If a coach tells you to sit and you dont then they have lost control of their job, sure the player is at fault as well but in the end what happens on the field/sidelines lands squarely on the coaches' shoulders
Let me ask you this...... and I see where you're coming from somewhat. But when Peyton Manning or Tom Brady have waived off Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick on 4th down when they've sent the punt of field goal teams on the field did you ever feel like they weren't in control?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #123
TexansBull
Hall of Fame
 
TexansBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,169
Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

I don't believe a number two receiver is as big as a concern as some are making it out to be. Sure, it would be nice to have someone but we still have Owen Daniels and Arian Foster to throw to and Ben Tate can carry the ball. Then there is Kevin Walter, James Casey, and Ben Tate to fill in on receiving. Well, maybe not Ben Tate. (Still disappointed about the New Orleans game,) This team is made to run the ball with Foster and Tate, too. This team is stacked on offense without a better WR2.

I would rather have Andre play half the game like the Spurs did this year with Tim Duncan. Not all sports are the same, but the strategy could still work. Let the rookies play and learn and let Andre rest more than usual in the game. In my opinion we need to pull our starters in the middle of the fourth more often when we have a lead and control of the game. No sense to have Schaub, Andre and Arian out there when we could have Yates, Walter, and Tate playing. Only in ideal situations of course - disclaimer.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #124
BCRich
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 120
Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Uh, no.

Coach is watching the field, not trying to keep tabs on if #80 is complying with the trainer's advice and coach's decision that he (AJ) remain off the field.

I'd be MORE pissed if our coach was not watching the game on the field. He doesn't need to be babysitting players...he's got 53 grown ass men and can't watch em all at once.

So if #80 finds a way to sneak onto the field when he shouldn't be out there...then that's on #80 and on #80 alone.
I don't know if this is the real reason. If you''ve ever leD men into battle you know how tricky it is. You have to skirt a moving line between self sacrifice and self preservation. One minute you're telling them to give you everything they've got, to not accept failure, to not stop until the job is done. To think of the team, don't let your friends down.

Then the next minute you're telling him to put ice on his boo-boo.

The problem is just S bad in football especially with QBs.


That's why we love this game. Sports in general. Remember when Jordan played while suffering from pneumonia? Leftwhich being carried down the field by his teammates?

Men's men
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #125
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,652
Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Cant address every need in one or two drafts.

We had a sucky defense that needed to be built up properly. They've tried to do that--via the previous d-coord, and failed--so they went back to the well with Wade Phillips (and he succeeded).

This draft, Kubiak went after some WR talent. Again, the Texans felt the best option in round 1 was a guy for Wade's defense. I suppose they didn't feel there was a potential Second Coming of Andre Johnson in round 1 to be had at our position in round 1...so they went defense because a guy was there whom Wade and Rick didn't think would still be there.

I get the frustration. I do. But in all fairness, this offense has a better shot at winning without guys like Schaub/AJ than other AFC South teams have with all of their starters out there. We're riding a crest of a wave that has taken a awhile to build, and other teams are sort of trying to find their identities and are struggling a bit.

My best-case scenario is to let AJ play out the next two years, then go after a better/younger WR1 in free agency that can be paid AJ'ish money. Though I seriously doubt McNair is going to EVER let AJ walk away from us. It's a damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't situation, IMO.

There have been plenty of talented WR's in free agency and up for trades that we could have had a crack at and helped this team's WR core. I'm really sick and tired of the constant excuses for Smithiak and their lack of desire to improve this team's WR core. Walter should have been replaced years ago. Jacoby JOnes shouldn't have ever gotten that extension. Maybe you and a few others can sit here and keep making excuses for this on SMith's behalf, but I've been calling for them to make moves on several guys at the WR position for like 3 years now. This isn't something I'm stringing up out of thin air right now, because AJ got hurt again. This has been an ongoing problem that hasn't been addressed accordingly. Some of you forget that Yates has a very strong chance of having to play this season and Yates will need weapons to utilize as he isn't that good to begin with. You guys keep forgetting the that the Texans have a window to WIN NOW. This is their window. Windows for teams to win a SB in the NFL close very quickly, and not getting another play making WR is going to haunt this team down the line. When your team is in position to make a real SB run, you make those moves to put your team over the top. WR isn't a want, it's a NEED.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #126
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Would it be more appeasing if I said the entire coaching staff? If a coach tells you to sit and you dont then they have lost control of their job, sure the player is at fault as well but in the end what happens on the field/sidelines lands squarely on the coaches' shoulders
Refresh my memory on something:

When did AJ ever go onto the field last year when he shouldn't have? Or in years before? You act like he hopped on one leg and was a detriment to our team.

If a guy feels he's good to go, he feels he's not 100% but yet he feels good enough to get out there and try, is he supposed to stop? This mentality you're displaying is puzzling. Let's just all follow orders and sit on our asses because someone said so.

This isn't junior high football. Gary Effing Kubiak is going to have a hard time enforcing sit downs on a guy like AJ. Get that through your head--It isn't about following orders, it's about gutting it out and helping if you think you can help. Sometimes I really wonder...

Read the other posters here. You'd think at least one person feels the same way you do. Well, I take it back. One does, but he's an avowed Smithiak hater. So you've got one on your side. Everyone else is diametrically opposed to your stance. Sometimes, the majority is right. This is one of those times.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #127
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
There have been plenty of talented WR's in free agency and up for trades that we could have had a crack at and helped this team's WR core. I'm really sick and tired of the constant excuses for Smithiak and their lack of desire to improve this team's WR core. Walter should have been replaced years ago. Jacoby JOnes shouldn't have ever gotten that extension. Maybe you and a few others can sit here and keep making excuses for this on SMith's behalf, but I've been calling for them to make moves on several guys at the WR position for like 3 years now. This isn't something I'm stringing up out of thin air right now, because AJ got hurt again. This has been an ongoing problem that hasn't been addressed accordingly. Some of you forget that Yates has a very strong chance of having to play this season and Yates will need weapons to utilize as he isn't that good to begin with. You guys keep forgetting the that the Texans have a window to WIN NOW. This is their window. Windows for teams to win a SB in the NFL close very quickly, and not getting another play making WR is going to haunt this team down the line. When your team is in position to make a real SB run, you make those moves to put your team over the top. WR isn't a want, it's a NEED.
Well, we all sort of had a hissy fit when Bob didn't fire Gary Kubiak.

He hired Wade Phillips instead and gave new life to Gary Kubiak.

You and I both were pissed off. At some point, though, for me it was after the draft...I decided that Wade as DC and Kubiak as HC would work better for everything and everyone.

We know how that turned out: AFC South crown and playoff win at home.

I will step out in a limb and say that we struck gold with Posey and Martin. It's going to be the offensive version of JJ Watt and Brooks Reed. Two guys who find their way into the field and really contribute.

I'm more worried about QB than any other position. WR is my next worry, but I believe Posey-Martin-Jean will shock some people.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #128
TejasTom
Heisenwatt
 
TejasTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pearland
Section: Brazos Suite
Posts: 1,443
Rep Power: 56294 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Refresh my memory on something:

When did AJ ever go onto the field last year when he shouldn't have? Or in years before? You act like he hopped on one leg and was a detriment to our team...

WEEK 07 / 2009
San Francisco 49ers
Sun, 10/25 at 12:00 PM CDT
WIN: 24 - 21


Quote:
Johnson was injured when he caught a 44-yard pass on what proved to be the winning field-goal drive. He fell on the ball, coughed up blood and went to the sideline.

Johnson returned briefly, but when he tried to return a second time, some members of the teamís medical staff hid his helmet to keep him on the sideline rather than risk further injury.
Link


Coughing up blood and returned to the game, that's all heart!
__________________
"Success isn't owned. It's leased and rent is due every day." ~ J.J. Watt
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #129
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
WEEK 07 / 2009
San Francisco 49ers
Sun, 10/25 at 12:00 PM CDT
WIN: 24 - 21




Link


Coughing up blood and returned to the game, that's all heart!
Thank you for posting that. I knew it was something small. It wasn't like he had a slipped disk, a broken back, etc.

We talk about guys like Brisiel playing on a freaking broken/fractured leg through what, something like half the game or something? Caldwell had a high ankle sprain on the right AND the left ankle and he sucked it up and played when Brisiel went down for a few games. This stuff happens all the time. Guys get banged up.

I understands they want to take precautions with a guy like AJ, but he was having none of it. AJ is a smart man. But he's also a beast of nature. If he can play, he wants to play. And if his play is not holding the team back, he's going to find a way to get onto the field.

It's admirable, it's not a coach's fault, it's just the way it is.

When I was a steer wrestler back in the late 1990s, I had played in a softball game during the week and got hit in the head by the short stop who winged it and beaned me in the temple as I touched first base...I had a bad concussion. Couldn't finish WORDS, let alone sentences. Couldn't type even an easy word like "that" without stopping after the "t" and "h" and trying to figure out what letter comes next.

I went to a rodeo that next weekend, since I had already paid the entry fee for it, and when I bailed off the horse to grab the steer's horns I ended up bailing wayyyyyyy early. I rolled like a tumbleweed. I couldn't believe it. I just knew I had done everything right. But the concussion had messed with my depth perception THAT badly. I just laughed it off. Yeah, I could have gotten hurt pretty badly, and I shouldn't have competed, but it was second nature. Been rodeo'ing since I was 5. FIVE. No way was I going to stay at home and just forfeit the entry fee.

It's second nature. It's what you do. I know that doesn't compare to what AJ did, but still...the guy can run onto the field if he feels fit. Nobody knows his body's capabilities like he does. And it's not a coach's responsibility to enforce something that a guy like AJ is going to laugh off and pretend he didn't hear it anyways. Such is life. Kubiak can't watch field goal attempts, let alone every player who might try to get back onto the field.
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #130
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,252
Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, we all sort of had a hissy fit when Bob didn't fire Gary Kubiak.

He hired Wade Phillips instead and gave new life to Gary Kubiak.

You and I both were pissed off. At some point, though, for me it was after the draft...I decided that Wade as DC and Kubiak as HC would work better for everything and everyone.

We know how that turned out: AFC South crown and playoff win at home.

I will step out in a limb and say that we struck gold with Posey and Martin. It's going to be the offensive version of JJ Watt and Brooks Reed. Two guys who find their way into the field and really contribute.

I'm more worried about QB than any other position. WR is my next worry, but I believe Posey-Martin-Jean will shock some people.
What makes you think Posey/Martin will shock the world? Have you sen them play in college? Martin has more of a chance to make an impact as a slot WR than Posey does. IMHO

I'm not a Gary hater, in fact I really like Gary as a man. I just think he's in over his head as a HC. Hopefully the conservative Gary will be a hing of the past. But if Schaub/AJ aren't able to play more than 10 games then I dont expect Gary to change. Nor would I blame him if he's missing his horses.

But, with this yrs schedule things dont bode well for the team if Gary plays it conservative. IMHO

Last edited by steelbtexan; 07-31-2012 at 10:18 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #131
NastyNate
I go kerplunk
 
NastyNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seabrook
Section: Uranus
Posts: 1,684
Rep Power: 53145 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
If you know Sam Hoger, then you probably know Paige, aka Posh, who dated Sam for a short while, and spent some time at Miletich?

I hate to derail the thread too much, but no, but I don't recall him dating anyone by that name. We only hung out a few times outside of work at the Mezzanine and trendier clubs down in the Village. I'm not really a club guy and was pretty dedicated to training so I tried to stay out of that lifestyle. Hoger didn't drink but I just didn't want the temptation. He actually texted me last weekend for the fights.

Now a few guys I actually remember, Tim Buchanon, Mike Miller, a few others. Everyone called me "guns", name might ring a bell if you fought out of that camp.
__________________
I intend to live forever... so far so good.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #132
michaelm
vox nihili
 
michaelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Section: 648
Age: 48
Posts: 5,677
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I hate to derail the thread too much, but no, but I don't recall him dating anyone by that name. We only hung out a few times outside of work at the Mezzanine and trendier clubs down in the Village. I'm not really a club guy and was pretty dedicated to training so I tried to stay out of that lifestyle. Hoger didn't drink but I just didn't want the temptation. He actually texted me last weekend for the fights.

Now a few guys I actually remember, Tim Buchanon, Mike Miller, a few others. Everyone called me "guns", name might ring a bell if you fought out of that camp.
No, I never fought. Posh is my sister. If you've been to any local MMA events, you probably met her or at least saw her. She was the promoter for a fight at Hofeinz Pavilion back in '09 I think. And a MMA expo in the Woodlands in '10. Me and her were out of contact when the expo was supposed to occur. I'm not 100% sure it actually made it out of the planning stage.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #133
2012Champs
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,625
Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Let me ask you this...... and I see where you're coming from somewhat. But when Peyton Manning or Tom Brady have waived off Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick on 4th down when they've sent the punt of field goal teams on the field did you ever feel like they weren't in control?


I certainly think there is a lack of total control on who makes the final call in situations like that but one that certain teams allow for play calling and what not. It is a very similar issue but slightly different when players health comes into question. If a player is hurt and you or any staff member tells them to sit thats should be what happens. At the end of the day if that player still runs out on the field the end result is on the coaching staff. Colt's situation last year is a prime yet exaggerated example imo
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #134
GP 
Go Texans!
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 17,747
Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What makes you think Posey/Martin will shock the world? Have you sen them play in college? Martin has more of a chance to make an impact as a slot WR than Posey does. IMHO

I'm not a Gary hater, in fact I really like Gary as a man. I just think he's in over his head as a HC. Hopefully the conservative Gary will be a hing of the past. But if Schaub/AJ aren't able to play more than 10 games then I dont expect Gary to change. Nor would I blame him if he's missing his horses.

But, with this yrs schedule things dont bode well for the team if Gary plays it conservative. IMHO
What makes you think they WON'T???

They gave Okoye time. They gave Jacoby time. And both were cut. Kubiak is done with project picks. He chose two guys (Posey and Martin) who were solid WRs from legitimate NCAA programs, and I think they'll shock a lot of people.

Past failures do not always equate to future failures being a sure thing.

The early reports are that Martin and Posey are making great catches and are not failing. At this stage, with rookie WRs, that's an incredibly good sign.

How many times did we hear Amobi was not being his man, or Jacoby was bobbling passes in camp?
__________________
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #135
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,652
Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

I'm more worried about QB than any other position. WR is my next worry, but I believe Posey-Martin-Jean will shock some people.
Fair enough, but what on earth is leading you to think this way?? What have these guys done to give you this kind of confidence in them? Striking gold? I'm having a hard time even seeing either one of these guys panning out. If these two were drafted by the Jags would you see it that way? I'm just curious, because it just seems like some optimism without reasoning which is fine and all, but I'm just not understanding it. If I felt that way, than I'd probably agree with you, but I can't figure out what is leading you to think that both guys are going to be these steals of the draft and the future of our receiving core without at least seeing these guys play in 8 games of the regular season. I've seen a ton of pre season warriors even where folks get all excited only for big let downs. Jacoby Jones was a huge one that I even bought into at the time.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #136
NastyNate
I go kerplunk
 
NastyNate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seabrook
Section: Uranus
Posts: 1,684
Rep Power: 53145 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I take it none of you have pulled your groin before. Heck I pulled mine today for like half an hour, felt great.


All kidding aside, a groin pull is at most a 4 day recovery. I've tweaked mine several times through football, MMA, and running. It's a quick recovery, no big deal. If this were a calf, hamstring, knee, etc, then I'd be worried. Lighten up guys. He'll be fine.
4 days, who would have thunk!?!?!? Andre reporting zero issue today, he'll be fine folks. Most guys will tweak their groin in a football season and not say much, and they'll still play.
__________________
I intend to live forever... so far so good.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #137
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 52
Posts: 12,252
Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What makes you think they WON'T???

They gave Okoye time. They gave Jacoby time. And both were cut. Kubiak is done with project picks. He chose two guys (Posey and Martin) who were solid WRs from legitimate NCAA programs, and I think they'll shock a lot of people.

Past failures do not always equate to future failures being a sure thing.

The early reports are that Martin and Posey are making great catches and are not failing. At this stage, with rookie WRs, that's an incredibly good sign.

How many times did we hear Amobi was not being his man, or Jacoby was bobbling passes in camp?
They're rookies, rookie WR's dont normally contribute much their first 2 yrs.

Past failure more often than not lead to future failures.

Rick/Gary better hope these guys break the mold.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #138
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame
 
CloakNNNdagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,098
Rep Power: 222730 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
4 days, who would have thunk!?!?!? Andre reporting zero issue today, he'll be fine folks. Most guys will tweak their groin in a football season and not say much, and they'll still play.
And then there are memories of


NFL Players News
Quote:
Mario Williams Questionable
Matt.Baliga
Oct 08 2010

Update: Gregg Rosenthal of ProFootballTalk.com reports that Houston Texans DE Mario Williams will be questionable for this weekend's game against the Giants. Williams sustained a minor groin injury during Thursday's practice.


Quote:
#Texans DE Mario Williams had an MRI yesterday for groin pain but says he'll be fine and expects to play. He called it "a little boo boo"

http://twitter.com/NickScurfield
Quote:
Questioned about Williams’ mobility, middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans insisted: “I’m not worried about Mario. He’s a tough guy. He’s fought through things before.”
For the rest: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/arc...p?t-76265.html





Mario Williams placed on IR
Quote:
Updated: December 15, 2010, 10:19 PM ET
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Mario Williams, the Houston defensive end who went to the last two Pro Bowls, is out for the rest of the season.

The Texans said Wednesday that Williams, the first overall pick in 2006, had been placed on season-ending injured reserve. He's struggled with injuries since September, and a groin injury was listed as the reason.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Williams will have surgery to repair a sports hernia on Tuesday in Philadelphia.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #139
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,652
Rep Power: 115757 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
They're rookies, rookie WR's dont normally contribute much their first 2 yrs.

Past failure more often than not lead to future failures.

Rick/Gary better hope these guys break the mold.
Exactly, and that is why I still don't understand why so many Houston folks kept clamoring for a WR in the first round. There wasn't going to be one that dominant where we were drafting most likely and most 1st year WR's have a huge learning curve and end up hitting it big by year 3. A few have had big seasons recently, but just going off of a more consistent history. I've been a lot more interested in free agents and guys that were on the trading block the last two off seasons, but I guess we're going to have to roll with these rookies, Walter and Bryant Johnson.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #140
BCRich
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 120
Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Exactly, and that is why I still don't understand why so many Houston folks kept clamoring for a WR in the first round. There wasn't going to be one that dominant where we were drafting most likely and most 1st year WR's have a huge learning curve and end up hitting it big by year 3. A few have had big seasons recently, but just going off of a more consistent history. I've been a lot more interested in free agents and guys that were on the trading block the last two off seasons, but I guess we're going to have to roll with these rookies, Walter and Bryant Johnson.
It's kinda like drilling for oil in Alaska. Had we started 10 years ago, we wouldn't hear the, "We won't see that oil for 10 years" argument.

A first round reciever should be able to produce what KDub or JJ has for the past couple of years. Next year, we'd be deadly.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger