Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012   #141
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official 2012 Training Camp Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
If the Texans took Graham, I can't imagine another team wanting Bullock. But the Texans getting a relationship with Bullock now might now might not be a bad thing. Young kickers sometimes float around for a while before they catch on.
Yeah, I wouldn't think Bullock would get picked up if we release him but I'm sure the Texans would hate to waste a pick as well. Graham is who he is even if he does shine early and even into the season. Stashing him on the PS doesn't make a lot of sense from a numbers standpoint, but it does protect the small investment I guess. Hope Bullock makes all of this meaningless speculation.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #142
SCOTTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 3792 SCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedSCOTTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing i noticed at the practice today Mitchell, Mercilious, and Cushing having problems holding in there water during scrimmage ... guess still getting use to the heat...
SCOTTexans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #143
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't think Bullock would get picked up if we release him but I'm sure the Texans would hate to waste a pick as well. Graham is who he is even if he does shine early and even into the season. Stashing him on the PS doesn't make a lot of sense from a numbers standpoint, but it does protect the small investment I guess. Hope Bullock makes all of this meaningless speculation.
The more set your roster is, the less bottom of the draft guys have a shot. Part of having a better team.
Old 07-30-2012   #144
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The more set your roster is, the less bottom of the draft guys have a shot. Part of having a better team.
Very true, but I can't remember the last time a kicker was drafted in any round and didn't make the team.
Old 07-30-2012   #145
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was at the practice today. The Defense looked really good! Schaub looked good as well. The only thing I didn't like about today was the fact that only children could get autographs. I mean, I am in favor of it, it's just I didn't know they were gonna do that. I really wanted to get some autographs and I even won the plinko to get autographs. If I would have known they were doing kids only, I would have gone to another practice. All I got was a shirt.

On a closing note, Mercilus is HUGE!!!! My goodness!

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #146
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
When did Shayne Graham acquire this leg strength? He's 7 for 14 in 50+ yard FGs over 11 seasons, and hasn't attempted a 50 yarder since 2007.
I was looking at an erroneous stat page. NFL.com has Graham going 2 of 4 from 50+ in 2009 to lift his career mark to 9 of 18. Still, I've always considered Graham to be a weak legged kicker. Of his 16 2011 kickoffs (under the new kickoff placement), Graham kicked only one touchback. Color me confused that Graham is now considered to have a monster leg.
Old 07-30-2012   #147
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was looking at an erroneous stat page. NFL.com has Graham going 2 of 4 from 50+ in 2009 to lift his career mark to 9 of 18. Still, I've always considered Graham to be a weak legged kicker. Of his 16 2011 kickoffs (under the new kickoff placement), Graham kicked only one touchback. Color me confused that Graham is now considered to have a monster leg.
*cough* natural boost of testosterone *cough cough*
Old 07-30-2012   #148
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... Color me confused that Graham is now considered to have a monster leg.
Not a monster leg, just longer than Bullock.

But Bullock was not even considered the longest drafted kicker.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #149
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224911 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
I think it says something that the coaches haven't had him try very much. Kris Brown has as many made 50+ field goals (on 34 attempts) as Graham has attempts with the same career length.
Old 07-31-2012   #150
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bullock and Kubes are Aggies.

Bullock makes the team regardless of how Graham performs.

Gary wont be the only one not wanting to watch FG's this yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #151
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think it says something that the coaches haven't had him try very much. Kris Brown has as many made 50+ field goals (on 34 attempts) as Graham has attempts with the same career length.
Well yeah. That's what I thought. The last day of minicamp was a huge surprise.

I don't know who has the stronger leg. But what I will say is that when the distances got longer at minicamp, Bullock did NOT look good and Graham put on a show. But that was one day.

Yesterday, they didn't try anything long in front of folks.

Here's my day 3 write up. Didn't get to include some stuff because the blog software was acting sketchy and I just had to hit publish.

With what the teams options are, I just want a guy who is automatic in the 30s, mostly automatic in the 40s, could kick a 50 yard one if conditions were right.

Don't think we can overreact to a couple of days.
Old 07-31-2012   #152
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224911 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Well yeah. That's what I thought. The last day of minicamp was a huge surprise.

I don't know who has the stronger leg. But what I will say is that when the distances got longer at minicamp, Bullock did NOT look good and Graham put on a show. But that was one day.
Kickers are odd ducks and can go off one day and then turn sour another. Can't remember which preseason game it was when Rackers and Brown were competing. They were going kick for kick and Rackers just kept backing it up. They both hit one over 50 yards and Rackers went and set up a 60 yd attempt - Brown just walked away which I found odd since he has hit in a game from 58 yds. Rackers made the kick.
Old 07-31-2012   #153
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

DL RaShon Sunny Harris getting some notices and time with the "ones"
Old 07-31-2012   #154
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
One guy observing at camp one day thought yesterday that Graham had a stronger leg and tweeted it.

Personally, this is what I've observed:

Only time at minicamp they did public kicking, Graham looked like the far superior kicker, and kicked some very very long field goals accurately, and high enough not to get block by guys who were trying to block.

Yesterday was only short kicks. That were made.

Today they did more short kicks at two distances on opposite goal from yesterday. A little breeze. I observed Bullock doink a very short kick off of the upright for a miss. I thought Graham made all his kicks but heard Scurfield say on the radio that he though Graham missed one, but he wasn't sure because he was far away.

Yes, the Texans will want to keep their draft pick guys. OTOH, Kubiak hates having to rely on rookies for key positions.

They will be monitoring camp kicks, but it is going to be all about preseason games.

Personally, I would be fine with a Rackers kind of guy. I don't think either of these guys is Janokowski-leg, so I'd be okay with Graham if that means you get a guy who has done this before, can handle the normal sorts of NFL kicks and you aren't worried he is going to soil his drawers for a real NFL game.

Also think Donnie Jones is your punter for the season. Looking good. Isn't facing a suspension. Isn't still sitting on the trainers table with a bag of ice on his knee after rehabbing like Hartmann.
Old 07-31-2012   #155
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
DL RaShon Sunny Harris getting some notices and time with the "ones"
Yes. Noticed that. Cody sat today. He and OD will be sitting every 3rd/4th day at coach's decision to keep legs fresh.

They are rotating some guys around to work with ones sometimes. FB Derrell Smith working with 1s more than Moran Norris. I asked Kubiak about FB's today:

Quote:
(on the fullback competition) Its an interesting dynamic. James (Casey) is our starting fullback, but we do a lot of different things with James. The young kid (Derrell) Smith has a lot of ability. I think hes got a chance to be an excellent one, but hes a former defensive player trying to learn to play offense, so thats his struggle right now. Of course, the old man that we brought in (Moran Norris) - dont tell him that - Norris has been playing a long time and hes a banger. Hes a big banger. Theyre all kind of different, so weve got to sort out whos going to be the best special teams help. How do we set our roster? Two fullbacks? One fullback? What are we going to do?

(on FB James Caseys versatility) Yeah, hes like my Jim Thorpe. Hes got to go do everything. Im going to play him everywhere. He gives us a lot of versatility offensively and causes problems for people, so Ive got to use James the right way. Im starting to do it in training camp and not waiting until the season.
Old 07-31-2012   #156
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75195 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a hunch Bullock will endure some "injury" at some point that will land him on the IR.
Old 07-31-2012   #157
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Is Jared Crick making any kind of showing, yet??? I see him in the rotation but haven't picked up any chatter on him.
Old 07-31-2012   #158
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Kickers are odd ducks and can go off one day and then turn sour another. Can't remember which preseason game it was when Rackers and Brown were competing. They were going kick for kick and Rackers just kept backing it up. They both hit one over 50 yards and Rackers went and set up a 60 yd attempt - Brown just walked away which I found odd since he has hit in a game from 58 yds. Rackers made the kick.
There's some numbers that suggest that from year to year, there are very few NFL kickers who play at consistent level.

That being said, the accuracy of kickers in recent years has been astonishing, and it can be a benefit to getting that sort of kicker because you know you will always get points and not be stuck in a bad position.

Also will note with Graham (and any other kicker) that Reliant is a much friendlier place to kick than Cincy.
Old 07-31-2012   #159
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75195 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes. Noticed that. Cody sat today. He and OD will be sitting every 3rd/4th day at coach's decision to keep legs fresh.

They are rotating some guys around to work with ones sometimes. FB Derrell Smith working with 1s more than Moran Norris. I asked Kubiak about FB's today:
Sidenote: Norris is a freakin monster

That said, this Smith cat appears to have more athletic ability than Norris.
Old 07-31-2012   #160
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Is Jared Crick making any kind of showing, yet??? I see him in the rotation but haven't picked up any chatter on him.
Not standing out as being particularly bad/good. Spoke to Seth Payne who said that he'd start watching him more carefully. Seth is watching practices and will be an add on to various 610 shows. If you haven't been listening to them, you are missing out.

Saw Kubiak talking to Crick after practice, asking about his folks as they were walking out of the Bubble. Which doesn't sound like a big deal but with so many players, rookies don't talk much one on one with coach. They have most of their interactions with their position coaches.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read