Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2012   #41
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Training Camp Live: AJ left practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yeah, Kubiak didn't seem overly alarmed, and if it was really really bad, he wouldn't have likely stood with teammates for the rest of practice.

They are being super careful with him. As you would want.
Kubiak is never alarmed. He issues the same gol-durn statement every time. Always with an unknown return timetable as well.

Quote:
Kubiak expects Johnson to miss "a few" practices, though he couldn't set a timeline.
Oh yeah, don't forget the Texans mishandling the Tate injury two years ago.
Old 07-29-2012   #42
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I said months ago that we need to sign a vet who can actually make plays on the field. These Bryant Johnson type signings don't accomplish that. The reality is AJ is most likely going to miss some regular season games and the team is going to count on KW being our best wideout again? I've gained confidence in the front office the past few years, but this is one area where their stubbornness is getting the best of them. Bite the bullet and get a real, quality wideout in here. There are 3 guys who come to mind immediately. Any one of those guys i'll be happy with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post
Bryant Johnson couldn't beat KDub for a spot on game day. Why go through that experience again?

We need a WR who is a better #2 option than KDub.

Let's let the FO look at the guy, let the coaches work him out. If he's got the tools, then it's up to them to get the most out of him on game day... if they sign him.

If they don't sign him, no big deal. But the object right now should be to get someone who can supplant Kevin Walter at the #2 spot. KDub isn't so bad that we have to "take what we can get" but it shouldn't stop us from kicking the tires on Roy Williams either.

Neither were brought in to replace KW. They're coming in for depth and to compete for a roster spot. "If he's got the tools"? Dude's been in the league for 8 years now. If he hasn't shown that he has the tools yet, he ain't going to. It doesn't take a FO to determine which of the two would fit best. Plus, this is a friggin message board, where people make observations and state opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Signed Bryant Johnson again. Jippie.

Well I guess if we're going to sign a camp body at WR he was going to probably be cheaper.

I just don't see the point really. Johnson did absolutely nothing noteworthy last year and he had a BIG opportunity to make a splash. He didn't even make a ripple.

I am really hoping one of the rookies or Lestar makes a real big impact, because if they don't, we have to really hope AJ is healthy all year.
Texan4life Obviously you and I just don't see the big picture. KDub & the rookie receivers will do fine.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #43
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post

Texan4life Obviously you and I just don't see the big picture. KDub & the rookie receivers will do fine.
I see the big picture perfectly. This is the NFL and right now we're only focused on this season. In the NFL there aren't many times where rookies step in and produce at receiver right away. It usually takes them a year or 2 to acclimate to the league. There is nothing to suggest that any of the young guys will be "just fine".

Now going to Kevin Walter there is a reason that he took a pay cut this year. While he still has relaible hands the guy can't beat man coverage anymore. If Andre is out for a significant time, Kevin Walter will be far and away the worst number 1 receiver on any team in the league. We can all sit here and say "oh these guys are gonna be great". But as of right now its false optomism and we don't have anything to base it on. I "hope" they will step up, but the FO is taking a huge risk in the hope.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #44
kingh99

It's like watching Yao Ming (not) come back.
Old 07-29-2012   #45
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I see the big picture perfectly.

Kevin Walter will be far and away the worst number 1 receiver on any team in the league. We can all sit here and say "oh these guys are gonna be great".
Sure we can.

I'm saying obviously you and I are missing something. No one is looking for anyone (other than the rookies) to beat out Kevin Walter. That should have been painfully obvious when they resigned Bryant Johnson, who couldn't take playing time from Jacoby. The Texans don't even expect KDub to step up when Aj is out. They expected Jacoby Jones to fill that role, they expect one of the rookies to fill that role.

Maybe if we were allowed at OTAs, or if we were there at TC, sitting in on team meetings. Maybe then we'd feel as confident as the Texans do.
Old 07-29-2012   #46
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
It's like watching Yao Ming (not) come back.
Or McGrady, Bosseli, Joppru, Hollings, Davis......

par for the course.
Old 07-29-2012   #47
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't trust Kubiak's injury assessment at all. The guy is capable of downplaying Ebola as if it was a common cold. Too bad about AJ though. Hope he can play most of the season, but it's unlikely IMO. I wish they would sign another veteran who has had success like Plaxico.
Old 07-29-2012   #48
BCRich
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I don't trust Kubiak's injury assessment at all. The guy is capable of downplaying Ebola as if it was a common cold. Too bad about AJ though. Hope he can play most of the season, but it's unlikely IMO. I wish they would sign another veteran who has had success like Plaxico.
FYI, just heard on NFLN that they'll hold AJ out of practice for the next few days, simply as a precautionary measure.
Old 07-29-2012   #49
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Braylon Edwards
Patrick Crayton
Mark Clayton
Plaxico Burress

Not a lot of good FA options out there. I could consider Clayton. Edwards was injured last year. Crayton was iffy. Burress is solely a red zone target at this point.
I'd looks at Edwards. People the ny jets don't care about character and they dropped plaxico because he showed nothing. I wish the steelers would trade Tate for Wallace. I mean Wallace for Tate.
Old 07-29-2012   #50
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
I'd looks at Edwards. People the ny jets don't care about character and they dropped plaxico because he showed nothing. I wish the steelers would trade Tate for Wallace. I mean Wallace for Tate.
What's that say about Edwards? They dropped him to get Plax! And then SF dropped Edwards mid season...at a position of need.

Neither are gonna set the world on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Kuharsky reports:

Quote:
Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson says he'll miss "a week or so" after a minor groin injury in the team's second morning practice.

Johnson fell awkwardly running a route on Sunday morning and had an MRI exam later in the day that showed a "mild strain."

"It just tightened up on me," the five-time Pro Bowl receiver said. "I had hit the ground pretty hard, stretching out for a ball. That was pretty much it."

Johnson missed nine regular-season games last season with hamstring injuries and was sidelined from the first organized team activities in the spring after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

"Nothing that I'm not used to, doing rehab," Johnson said. "It's very frustrating, but it happens, man. I wish I had some control over it. Unfortunately, I don't."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting dre to miss time at some point (or maybe multiple points) next season.

I think we're going to carry 6 wr's.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #53
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't know how to react, but I do feel like the guy can't run down the field without "tweaking" something (whatever the hell that means).
Old 07-29-2012   #54
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Is it time to propose the "Hakeem" rule? Get what you can for him while his trade value remains high...
No.

Andre is a Texan for life. I don't care about what others do now. Texans remain loyal to their best evers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #55
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

He hasn't been playing for 6 months. Not worried really just a slight groin tweak.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the people who are "not worried." And the ones who say he won't miss time this year??? Riiiiight.

It's going to be an ongoing problem.

And people don't have to be a super fan by trying to display loyalty to the point that this issue with AJ's legs gets marginalized. It's going. To be. A problem.

McNair will have AJ all the way to AJ's retirement. Logically, McNair must have the greatest Texans player (ever) to remain here as a lifer...as a standout that all of us can look up to and recall the good that the Texans did to draft him AND have him retire here.

Dude is beast. He isn't going anywhere and we're going to have to be content to get somewhere around 10 to 12 games out of him.
Old 07-29-2012   #57
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This. Is. Not. Good.

Before every practice and game, the man needs somebody to really stretch out his groin.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #58
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 20009 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Damaged goods. We just gotta deal with it. Man I hope the youngsters at wr grow up quick.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012   #59
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
What's that say about Edwards? They dropped him to get Plax! And then SF dropped Edwards mid season...at a position of need.

Neither are gonna set the world on fire.
Dang forgot about that. Unless a trade for good wr can be made they'll have roll with all the young guys on the roster because I dont think Walter will contribute a whole lot.
Old 07-29-2012   #60
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

The injury might not be serious, but let's face it -- AJ is injury prone.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read