Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2012   #1
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colt McCoy

Where do you see his upside? Any chance he can be an NFL starter again? Writing is on the wall in Cleveland.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colt McCoy

A.J. Feeley - Cody Carelson - Gary Kubiak...long time backup type.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Where do you see his upside? Any chance he can be an NFL starter again? Writing is on the wall in Cleveland.
I think he can be a very productive starter. I doubt anyone could have done much better if any in the situation he was in last year. His best WR is comparable to our Jacoby Jones. His best RB had strep throat & couldn't play 8 games or something silly like that.

I think he would have done better than Curtis Painter in Indy.

But you're right, the writing is on the wall. I think he's going to end up being a journey man waiting for the right opportunity. Best case scenario, his career will probably be similar to Rich Gannon's.

I don't think Cleveland's problem is their QB.
Old 07-26-2012   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think he can be a very productive starter. I doubt anyone could have done much better if any in the situation he was in last year.
Not Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers?

Quote:
I think he would have done better than Curtis Painter in Indy.

I don't think Cleveland's problem is their QB.
You've kind of lowered the bar, there. And Cleveland definitely thought they had a problem at QB.

Frankly, I think Vinny was kind in his comparisons to Colt. I would have gone with Chris Simms.
Old 07-26-2012   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Not Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers?
Surely those guys would have done better. But I doubt Brady would have had the year he had in 2011 with the Patriots, nor would Rodgers look like Superman.

A little off subject, but Cam Newton wouldn't have looked so good if Steve Smith wasn't out there catching balls & making plays.

Cleveland's got serious talent issues, mostly on offense.

Quote:
You've kind of lowered the bar, there. And Cleveland definitely thought they had a problem at QB.
The point wasn't about lowering the bar, but highlighting the tools he would have had in Indy versus what he had in Clevland. Reggie Wayne & Pierre Garcon would have helped Colt look much better than he did in Cleveland.

Curtis Painter on the other hand is just bad. He had Reggie Wayne & Pierre Garcon & couldn't do much with them.
Old 07-26-2012   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

His offensive line was pretty god-awful last season. I was thinking he needed better protection.

That was before Holmgren drafted a QB in the 1st round. Now I just think they've gone as far as they can with the guy.

One thing that I've learned as a Texans fan is this:

It's not always the offensive line's fault. I think everyone who watched the team from 2002-2006 knows what I'm getting at.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Colt could be a serviceable starter.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2012   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think Colt could be a serviceable starter.
His upside is Charlie Batch or Jeff Garcia, but he's being replaced because he isn't that big - fingers crossed when he's hit, and doesn't have the arm to drive the ball in a windy stadium. He's a good guy and I'm not trying to knock him but if he is starting, you're looking for a quarterback.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #9
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 69297 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could be a great Refreshment Coordinator for many teams.
Pollardized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #10
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
His offensive line was pretty god-awful last season. I was thinking he needed better protection.

That was before Holmgren drafted a QB in the 1st round. Now I just think they've gone as far as they can with the guy.

One thing that I've learned as a Texans fan is this:

It's not always the offensive line's fault. I think everyone who watched the team from 2002-2006 knows what I'm getting at.
Big difference. Colt, imo, still has that will to win. He might be making mistakes trying to force it, but he's still standing tall when he needs to stand tall, picking up yards when he needs to pick up yards, and giving the other guys an opportunity to make a play when the team needs someone to make a play.

2002-2004, we had a QB that was doing the same for us. It wasn't until (midway through 2004) 2005, that I thought the will to win was beat out of him. He just didn't give a crap. Rather take a sack than throw an INT or give a receiver an opportunity to make a play. Rather hold on to the ball & run out of bounds behind the LOS than throw an incompletion, rather take the safe, four yard toss, than throw it to the guy wide open 15 yards down the field.

Colt hasn't got there yet.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Colt reminds me of a Jeff Garcia type of player. When he was drafted and coming into the league, I said that he would never be a quality NFL starter. He did look much better than I expected as a rookie though, and gave me some hope. His situation in Cleveland was way to bad to completely write him off like he failed though. That team gave him zero weapons, a poor running game, and a bad offensive line with a new coaching staff as well.

From what I watched of him, I'd take him over TJ Yates any day of the week.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #12
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His best RB had strep throat & couldn't play 8 games or something silly like that.
I thought it was lack of testicular fortitude as the cause of absence.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep,

I would give up a 5/6th for McCoy to backup Schaub.

In fact at the same stages of their careers I would say Colt and Schaub are very comparable.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #14
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This was his main problem last year (okay and no other playmakers on Offense) I don't think that there's a QB in the league who could have succeeded on that Brown's team (yes I'm including Brady and Rodgers). Maybe Rothlesburger would have been okay because he's one tough SOB and hard to bring down. QBs are very ineffective as a group while running for their life.

I do think that Colt would be a very effective QB in the right place, now will anyone give him a chance with the Browns stench all over him??
Old 07-26-2012   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep,

I would give up a 5/6th for McCoy to backup Schaub.

In fact at the same stages of their careers I would say Colt and Schaub are very comparable.
Comparable as in just as good? Or skill set wise?

Because both are completely different.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #16
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRich View Post
Big difference. Colt, imo, still has that will to win. He might be making mistakes trying to force it, but he's still standing tall when he needs to stand tall, picking up yards when he needs to pick up yards, and giving the other guys an opportunity to make a play when the team needs someone to make a play.

2002-2004, we had a QB that was doing the same for us. It wasn't until (midway through 2004) 2005, that I thought the will to win was beat out of him. He just didn't give a crap. Rather take a sack than throw an INT or give a receiver an opportunity to make a play. Rather hold on to the ball & run out of bounds behind the LOS than throw an incompletion, rather take the safe, four yard toss, than throw it to the guy wide open 15 yards down the field.

Colt hasn't got there yet.
I agree, but I'm not really comparing them as QB's. I guess I'm just comparing the situation.

The thing that I learned from the Carr years was that if you think the QB's good and the rest of the team sucks, then there's a pretty good chance it's actually the other way around.

Looks like the Browns think it's the latter. I hope they're wrong. I've been a fan since his freshman year when he looked more like a high school freshman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
This was his main problem last year (okay and no other playmakers on Offense) I don't think that there's a QB in the league who could have succeeded on that Brown's team (yes I'm including Brady and Rodgers). Maybe Rothlesburger would have been okay because he's one tough SOB and hard to bring down. QBs are very ineffective as a group while running for their life.

I do think that Colt would be a very effective QB in the right place, now will anyone give him a chance with the Browns stench all over him??
That's what I thought. His line was crap. His receivers were crap. Even the Pro Bowl running back was crap.

One thing's for sure, though. Mike Holmgren has a way better track record with pro QB's than Greg Davis.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Comparable as in just as good? Or skill set wise?

Because both are completely different.
Skill set and temperment wise.

Both have good pocket presence and can handle pressure adequately. They both have have really good accuracy but below avg arm strength. Colt is more mobile than Schaub. But Schaub has more experience.

In short I believe if Gary was working with Colt, Colt could end up being as good if not better than Schaub in a few yrs. I know that I would feel more comfortable with McCoy backing up Schaub than Yates next yr. Hence my being willing to give up a 5/6th rd pick for McCoy.
Old 07-26-2012   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I know that I would feel more comfortable with McCoy backing up Schaub than Yates next yr. Hence my being willing to give up a 5/6th rd pick for McCoy.
No other NFL team would, that's why McCoy is still with the Browns.

If McCoy and Yates were both on the free agent market, Yates would get picked up first. Yates has the eye of the tiger. McCoy looks like he accidentally fell into the Lions den. The only two things I need to know about McCoy are:

1) His team saw enough over 2 seasons to draft his replacement
2) No other NFL team would trade as much as a 7th rounder for him

Kubiak and Smith could have dealt for McCoy and didn't. That should tell you what side of the argument they fall on.
Old 07-26-2012   #19
BCRich
Veteran

Rep Power: 412 BCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respectedBCRich is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only two things I need to know about McCoy are:

Sounds kinda like Drew Brees.
BCRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No other NFL team would, that's why McCoy is still with the Browns.

If McCoy and Yates were both on the free agent market, Yates would get picked up first. Yates has the eye of the tiger. McCoy looks like he accidentally fell into the Lions den. The only two things I need to know about McCoy are:

Kubiak and Smith could have dealt for McCoy and didn't. That should tell you what side of the argument they fall on.
You are correct sir.

What's Rick/Garys record?

Not saying I could've done better.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read