Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-23-2012   #581
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Penn State Child Molestation Case

That will likely shut down their program for a few years
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #582
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
PSU just became Austin Community College

Students can transfer with no penalty, loss of 10 scholarships, $60 million fine, all wins 1998-2011 vacated and more.

They should be forced to pay for student transfers and any losses those students may have incurred having/wanting to do so.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #583
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
NCAA is supposed to deliver the death penalty today:

I disagree with this for a couple reasons, now don't shoot me cause what happened at Penn State is completely wrong and inexcusable. The people that are responsible this should be punished not the 1000's of students that will be impacted by the loss of revenue.

School should have to setup a fund that half it's revenue ever year go to for the next 10-15 years to sponsor kids of abuse. This would allow the current students to continue their tradition which has nothing to do with the cover up. I feel it's wrong to cover penalize 1000's of student for the decisions of the ones involved in the cover up.

Everyone of them should be in jail.
I'm entirely OK with the death penalty and I think I'm on record around here somewhere as being originally against it for much the same reasons that you pointed out.

Now I think it's reasonable. I've changed my mind because I think that it is very important that no school ever again think that it's athletic program and its image be more important than doing the right thing.

Penn State will be made an example of and I promise you that after what's been revealed and what is to come no other school will be stupid enough to try and sweep a pedophile under the rug to keep their program safe and their reputation unsoiled.

....or no they won't. Just caught up and see what's happening. This works too. They're getting pounded as they should be. I still would not have minded the death penalty.
Old 07-23-2012   #584
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

the penalties hurt, no doubt. but not as bad as what I was expecting.

four year bowl ban will scare off recruits, and the reduction in scholarships hurt. but no suspension of football operations and no TV ban (scared it will hurt other teams) especially make this a punishment bereft of some of the teeth it could've had.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #585
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, this way hopefully every school they play will beat the living crap out of them. Maybe this is better than the death penalty? If the program had gone into hibernation it would possibly have come out of "hibernation" with all these Penn State JoPa fans having their day in the sun when football returned. Now they get to do the four years of sucking like nobody there could possibly imagine. Losing is hard on fans and a program. Losing like they're going to lose will keep recruits away a lot longer than just the limits on scholarships. They'll carry that stink with them for a while and maybe that will hurt those people up there as much as any death penalty might.
Old 07-23-2012   #586
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points Herv. PSU will not be able to hang their heads in shame in private, the humiliation will be public for everyone to see.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #587
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Not really a death penalty (Certainly not worse than a death penalty) but it is harsher than what USC got. No decent recruit is going to want to play there for the next few years.
Old 07-23-2012   #588
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Not really a death penalty (Certainly not worse than a death penalty) but it is harsher than what USC got. No decent recruit is going to want to play there for the next few years.
Yep. They got the Walking Dead penalty. It's best for the NCAA, the school and their conference to keep them somewhat alive during their sentence. This way they field a team, get reamed for a few years, keep the program together, and after a half dozen or so years of terrible football they will be able to rebuild.
Old 07-23-2012   #589
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
They should be forced to pay for student transfers and any losses those students may have incurred having/wanting to do so.
Agreed

They should've gotten the death penalty. This tells me no team will ever get the death penalty again.

NCAA thought process, Paying players> Child molestation

Glad to see Paternos win record taken away tough. May all involved in this mess spend many yrs in jail. Paterno got the easy way out by dying. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #590
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yep. They got the Walking Dead penalty. It's best for the NCAA, the school and their conference to keep them somewhat alive during their sentence. This way they field a team, get reamed for a few years, keep the program together, and after a half dozen or so years of terrible football they will be able to rebuild.
What if they're team is back to being a championship contender in 5 yrs?

I wanted them to have to go the 2 and a half decades of suck that SMU has had to go through. The death penalty certianly changed SMU's priorities and would've done the same to Penn St.
Old 07-23-2012   #591
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I wanted them to have to go the 2 and a half decades of suck that SMU has had to go through. The death penalty certianly changed SMU's priorities and would've done the same to Penn St.

Im not sure the issues at Penn St and SMU can be compared at all. Even more so when you talk about NCAA rule violations and what not. While Im not against punishment in the Penn case the NCAA certainly changed the rules it opperates by in order to do anything in this case and lets not forget its better for the NCAA for Penn not to get wipped off the map for 20+ years
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #592
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish the Big 10 would kick them out of the conference and have them relegated to some small insignificant conference.

Edit: this could already on the table. Kudos to the Big 10 if they do this.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-it-to-a-vote
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #593
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why does it matter if they compete in 5 years? If they can do it, great, but the penalties aren't meant to hurt them beyond the 4 years stipulated.

The NCAA just laid a beatdown on the football program, they will have exactly 3 more scholarships than D2 schools at any given time. No one will want to go there after this, besides PSU alums children and local kids. Not only that, they now have a 60 million dollar fine and a loss of bowl revenue (13 million) to deal with. This football program will not be on its feet any time soon. I think the punishment was appropriate.
Old 07-23-2012   #594
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Why does it matter if they compete in 5 years? If they can do it, great, but the penalties aren't meant to hurt them beyond the 4 years stipulated.

The NCAA just laid a beatdown on the football program, they will have exactly 3 more scholarships than D2 schools at any given time. No one will want to go there after this, besides PSU alums children and local kids. Not only that, they now have a 60 million dollar fine and a loss of bowl revenue (13 million) to deal with. This football program will not be on its feet any time soon. I think the punishment was appropriate.
I get what you're saying.

but I want the penalty to be the harshest in NCAA history. I would set a prescedent that an NCAA institution that knowingly allows children to be molested will suffer the worst consequences possible. This would be the ultimate deterrent in keeping an act like this from happening again.

The tought of a coach raping a child in the showers, (At the fielhouse or not) sickens me to no end. If this isn't the worst case of institutional control possible, I cant imagine a worse case, hence the death penalty.
Old 07-23-2012   #595
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Highlights of the sanctions.

* $60 million dollar fine
I heard that $60 million is about what the football program clears in just one year.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #596
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
I get what you're saying.

but I want the penalty to be the harshest in NCAA history. I would set a prescedent that an NCAA institution that knowingly allows children to be molested will suffer the worst consequences possible. This would be the ultimate deterrent in keeping an act like this from happening again.

The tought of a coach raping a child in the showers, (At the fielhouse or not) sickens me to no end. If this isn't the worst case of institutional control possible, I cant imagine a worse case, hence the death penalty.
I've got to agree with you, SMU's violations were worse than allowing 20yrs of pedophilia? I'm sorry, they should tear the stadium down!
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012   #597
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I heard that $60 million is about what the football program clears in just one year.

I dont think that is profit I think its revenue however either way taking away a full years worth a greatly impacting their ability to generate future revenue certainly makes the final financial impact greater
Old 07-23-2012   #598
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I've got to agree with you, SMU's violations were worse than allowing 20yrs of pedophilia? I'm sorry, they should tear the stadium down!

The NCAA nor the police have the authority to tear down the stadium.
Old 07-23-2012   #599
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Pretty close.

Those numbers are just revenue (no expenses).
Old 07-23-2012   #600
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Those numbers are just revenue (no expenses).
PSU cleared $53,228,446 from football in 2010/2011.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...ball-programs/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read