Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-16-2012   #161
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adrian Peterson arrested in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
You and I know they dont. Houston can deliberately send their best prosecutor and without unquestionable evidence like surveillance video the prosecution will look like amateur hour. Especially if ap is the kind of guy who has a dozen "hangers on" who serve as witnesses.
Just going to point out Hardin spent 15 years with the Houston DA's office in which time he never lost a felony jury trial including something like 15-20 death penalty cases. Many, actually most, of the best defense attorneys start out as DA's.
Old 07-16-2012   #162
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Just going to point out Hardin spent 15 years with the Houston DA's office in which time he never lost a felony jury trial including something like 15-20 death penalty cases. Many, actually most, of the best defense attorneys start out as DA's.
Thats a good point and history I didnt know about Hardin. Theres still not going to be a comparison, especially if it dissolves into a he said she said argument. Think the arresting officer is going to get torched on the stand regardless of right or wrong.
Old 07-16-2012   #163
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The StarTribune is already saying that AP could be opening TC on the PUP.........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #164
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The StarTribune is already saying that AP could be opening TC on the PUP.........
Does PUP mean temporary or for the season? He had said that goal was to play the season opener. I was feeling quite comfortable in selling my Cowboys vs. Saints tickets for a profit which was the only game that I had a conflict.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #165
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Does PUP mean temporary or for the season? He had said that goal was to play the season opener. I was feeling quite comfortable in selling my Cowboys vs. Saints tickets for a profit which was the only game that I had a conflict.
If Peterson is put on the PUP list during training camp (as may happen), he can be removed from that list anytime before the start of the regular season. But if he starts the season on the PUP list, he can't practice or play for at least six weeks. He can then begin practicing after six weeks, and the Ravens have three weeks from the time the he starts practicing to add him to the active roster. If he doesn't practice within that three week window, he has to be left on the PUP list the entire 2012 season.
Old 07-16-2012   #166
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He can then begin practicing after six weeks, and the Ravens have three weeks from the time the he starts practicing to add him to the active roster. If he doesn't practice within that three week window, he has to be left on the PUP list the entire 2012 season.
Not sure if the rules changed under the new CBA but it used to be the player can begin practicing between weeks 6 and 8 and then has two weeks to practice at which time he has to go on the roster or IR.
Old 07-17-2012   #167
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Peterson is put on the PUP list during training camp (as may happen), he can be removed from that list anytime before the start of the regular season. But if he starts the season on the PUP list, he can't practice or play for at least six weeks. He can then begin practicing after six weeks, and the Ravens Vikings have three weeks from the time the he starts practicing to add him to the active roster. If he doesn't practice within that three week window, he has to be left on the PUP list the entire 2012 season.
Thanks.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #168
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Thanks.
My bad.......have Ravens on the mind!
Old 07-20-2012   #169
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
How cute you had to go back 30 post and activity from 3 days prior to tie back into steel mentioning a black person to somehow tie into your post. However it seems you are the one with the reading problem. I stated you were the one who brought race into a civil rights discussion which is exactly what you did and then you turn around a decide to leave using race as the reason. I dont need to quote steel and call it chicken **** to leave a thread because he isnt leaving for the reason that he brought up race. You leaving based on race seems to be because you cant remove it from your own personal thought process.

I will receive an apology for your inability to read if you can muster one up
You are wrong...again.

Thunderkyss made a comment about how "...Makes note that GP never grew up during the civil rights era."

So actually, TK started it and I responded to it.
Old 07-20-2012   #170
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

To 2012Champs:

Here it is in order, in case you want to stick to the facts.

Post #131 was me saying this

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It's not sick. Abuse OF the legal system is a major reason for rising health care costs (frivolous lawsuits).

And now a wealthy, above-the-law NFL star thinks he deserves a day in court.

At 2 a.m. in a bar, being asked to leave, refusing, being asked again, then laying hands on a cop (from behind, according to reports)....yeah, I'll go with what I said and continue to say: AP should've (a) been in control of himself, (b) should take his jailing like a man and simply resolve to be smarter in the future.

But hey, it's more fun to make the lives of a few cops miserable over such a DUMB situation to begin with.

Watch the personal insults toward fellow members too. I would never call you "sick." I might give reasons why I disagree with you, but I will never call names at you. Give me the same courtesy, fair?
Post #137 was Thunderkyss saying this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Note to self... add "that GP did not live in the Civil Rights era" to list of blessings to count.
Post #138 was me responding to a race baiting post by Thunderkyss:

Quote:
That's pretty sad.

You know those times when you need the edit button before things get quoted? This is one of those times for you.

I think most people are sick and tired of the racial issues. And comments like that are not worth the effort required to respond to.

Because he's black, and because I said what I said, you're using bad math to create a bad answer. But hey, your evaluation/analysis skills have been pretty bad on football issues too...so what the hay, it's par for the course I suppose.
2012Champs:

Rather than talk massive trash talk, I'll let the evidence speak for itself here.

Look, I said NFL superstar. That does not equate to me saying "black guy" if that's where you're trying to take this.

Drew Brees is an NFL superstar too, and he's white. So the thing I have is against ANY person who is a superstar and thinks their stardom and their fame and their money means they can get away with blatant abuse of the judicial system. For the life of me, I don't know why you chose to equate me with being a racist, but the posts made by me and others do not prove your theory.

You've been genuinely hateful to me, and I resent it 100%. You need to stop.
Old 07-20-2012   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Yup GP, you showed him. You go girl.

I do, however, understand why you made the connection between "civil rights" & race. Mostly, I think, due to your hang up on race. But when you see the words "civil rights" & "civil liberties" it does not necessarily have anything to do with race.

I yahooed "civil rights" & found several examples where race isn't an issue.
  1. Here's one
    Quote:
    The appeals court reversed Superior Court Judge Evan H.C. Crook, who last year dismissed Greenberg's complaint against the state police; the trooper; the sergeant; Oil Station Inc., a Hainesport oil and lube service shop; and Peter Moran Jr., its owner. Greenberg is seeking unspecified damages and also claiming civil rights violations.
  2. Here's another
    Quote:
    Trinity County deputy claims sheriff violated his free speech rights
    Punishment violated civil rights, he says
  3. & another
    Quote:
    According to court papers filed June 14 in the Houston Division of the Southern District of Texas, the plaintiff did not resist authorities though officer Chris Bryant allegedly physically assaulted and Tasered him.

The suit adds Rollerson was not read his Miranda rights nor fully advised of the reason for his arrest prior to being transported to the Freeport Police Department headquarters.

The plaintiff says he sustained cuts to the back of his neck as well as a severe headache and chest pains "that radiated to his back" as a result of the incident in question.

He asserts his constitutional rights were violated.

I yahooed "Bill of Rights" & found this gem
Quote:
Fresh in their minds was the memory of the British violation of civil rights before and during the Revolution. They demanded a "bill of rights" that would spell out the immunities of individual citizens.
With that, I hope you understand how inaccurate your statement
Quote:
Post #138 was me responding to a race baiting post by Thunderkyss:
is.
Old 07-20-2012   #172
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Rather than talk massive trash talk, I'll let the evidence speak for itself here.
The evidence does speak for itself. You took civil rights to be synonymous with race and it isn't.
Old 07-20-2012   #173
GP 
Go Texans!

You said civil rights. That's black history.

You also are trying to switch words and act like you meant something else.

I don't have a hang up on race. You and TexansChamps2012 and Steelbtexan brought it up. I didn't. See the difference? No, you probably can't.

What you meant to say doesn't matter. What you said is what counts. You tried to finger me for a race crime, then you're trying to cover your tracks by saying you meant bill of rights. That's horsecrap and it's patently obvious.

It's all there for all to see. This board needs to call down those who accuse others of being racist. And this episode is a prime example of why. I should t have to over explain it and show all the posts in order to refute YOUR claim and the other guy's claim. Three people made this about race, none of those three people are named GP.
Old 07-20-2012   #174
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Yeah because civil rights only apply to blacks.

Quote:
Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from unwarranted infringement by governments and private organizations, and ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the state without discrimination or repression.

Civil rights include the ensuring of peoples' physical and mental integrity, life and safety; protection from discrimination on grounds such as physical or mental disability, gender, religion, race, national origin, age, status as a member of the uniformed services, sexual orientation, or gender identity and individual rights such as privacy, the freedoms of thought and conscience, speech and expression, religion, the press, and movement.
Old 07-20-2012   #175
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You also are trying to switch words and act like you meant something else.

I don't have a hang up on race. You and TexansChamps2012 and Steelbtexan brought it up. I didn't. See the difference? No, you probably can't.

What you meant to say doesn't matter. What you said is what counts. You tried to finger me for a race crime, then you're trying to cover your tracks by saying you meant bill of rights. That's horsecrap and it's patently obvious.

It's all there for all to see. This board needs to call down those who accuse others of being racist. And this episode is a prime example of why. I should t have to over explain it and show all the posts in order to refute YOUR claim and the other guy's claim. Three people made this about race, none of those three people are named GP.

I've come to the conclusion that you're nuts. When someone mentioned civil rights you took it as a race issue. Are you racist? I have no idea nor do I really care. Pointing out to you that civil rights arent just about blacks should be something a normal person could process without getting as defensive as you have
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #176
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, defending GP, what'll happen next...

The "Civil Rights Era" (TK did say ERA) in the U.S. indeed WAS mostly about African-Americans. Google US civil rights era and tell me what shows up on your screen, I know what came up on mine.

Quote:
African-American Civil Rights Movement (19551968) - Wikipedia ...
en.wikipedia.org/.../African-American_Civil_Rights_Movement_...
Atlantic slave trade Maafa Slavery in the United States Military history of African Americans Jim Crow laws Redlining Great Migration Civil Rights ...

Background - Mass action replacing litigation - Key events - Other issues

Civil rights movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_rights_movement
Jump to Civil rights movement in the United States‎: Main articles: African-American Civil Rights Movement (18961954), African-American Civil ...

African-American Civil Rights ... - Timeline - Category:Civil rights movement

Civil Rights Movement Timeline (14th Amendment, 1964 Act ...
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/civil...imeline1.html/

Milestones in the modern civil rights movement since 1954. ... black nationalist and founder of the Organization of Afro-American Unity, is shot to death.
Followed by pictures of "racial unrest".

So yes, TK "started it" and GP took it considerably farther than it needed to go, but...his "assumption" is pretty darn logical.

I'm not picking a side, simply stating that jumping from Civil Rights Era to race-baiting isn't that big a leap.
Old 07-20-2012   #177
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Wow, defending GP, what'll happen next...

The "Civil Rights Era" (TK did say ERA) in the U.S. indeed WAS mostly about African-Americans. Google US civil rights era and tell me what shows up on your screen, I know what came up on mine.
I admit I said Civil Rights era..... I said so a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well, I was actually thinking Bill of Rights, but that was too long ago. I was speaking more to personal liberties.

But I see what you're saying.

Quote:
So yes, TK "started it" and GP took it considerably farther than it needed to go, but...his "assumption" is pretty darn logical.

I'm not picking a side, simply stating that jumping from Civil Rights Era to race-baiting isn't that big a leap.
I don't know if it's darn logical. Not a big leap, I can agree with.

But this conversation had nothing to do with race prior to GP getting bent out of shape about race. In the context of the conversation, I think "personal liberties" civil rights as it applies to all of us is more appropriate. We have a case where a man is in custody for resisting arrest, but we don't know the original charge.

They've got to attempt to arrest him for something (& we want to know what that something is) before he can resist.

Civil liberties as defined by the bill of rights says a man should be informed of the charges against him.

Just because they wear uniforms don't mean they can tell you what to do. Which is what I believe GP was alluding to. A cop has no right to lay a hand on you if you're not breaking the law. Don't let them tell you different.
Old 07-20-2012   #178
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Well I will volley back to you. The biggest issue of the era was certainly race but there is a huge leap between referring to the era and race-baiting even if that is the case. Factually the era dealt with race, sexual liberation, women's' rights. privacy, search and seizure, freedom of speech, right to defense counsel, etc. Roe and Miranda are household names which come from that era. We're fighting more over Roe now than we are Brown v. Bd. of Education.

Seeing civil rights and racial issues is no stretch. Turning it into race baiting and jumping into the deep end of the martyr pool like GP did was definitely a stretch especially after it was explained.
Old 11-13-2012   #179
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Charges dropped
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/charge-...0690--nfl.html
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #180
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the article:

Quote:
Hollingsworth said Peterson testified before the grand jury on Tuesday and found no probable cause for prosecutors to continue.

''It's what should've happened from the get-go,'' Hollingsworth said. ''I'm glad it happened now.''

Peterson, a native of Palestine, Texas, was handcuffed and briefly jailed after the confrontation outside the club with an off-duty police officer. He was released on a $1,000 bond.

Police said Peterson shoved the officer, who was working security and asked Peterson and his companions to leave the club, which was closed. Peterson said in court a week after the incident that he ''didn't push, shove, touch anything to anyone that night, especially an officer.''

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read