Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 07-14-2012   #1
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question: Best TV type for tailgating?

Hey, we are looking at getting a TV for the tailgate this year. The plan is to build a box to hold it, what kind of tv hold up well to being moved alot?

Led, lcd, plasma?? none of the above?
Old 07-15-2012   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question: Best TV type for tailgating?

I would stay away from plasma for any outdoor application. Plasma screens tend to have a higher reflectivity than LCD, for instance. The reflections can really degrade the image quality.

I actually have three plasmas, and no other type of TV in my house, so it's not that I dislike them. I actually prefer them, but the performance in bright ambient light is not good at all.

We just moved into a new house, and the viewing quality of the TV in my living room is suffering because there is so much sunlight in the room. I'm thinking of putting an LCD in there instead.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Question: Best TV type for tailgating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Hey, we are looking at getting a TV for the tailgate this year. The plan is to build a box to hold it, what kind of tv hold up well to being moved alot?

Led, lcd, plasma?? none of the above?
Going to bring a Dish? SlingBox from a laptop?

LED is probably slightly more durable than an LCD, but really depends how much you're willing to spend (and keeping in mind this TV will likely have an accident at some point).

The reason I ask about your video source is because people don't realize how many HD TV's don't have built in tuners. That means it can't get over the air TV, it is like a computer monitor. Just because something is in the tv aisle doesn't mean it has tuner these days because everyone has satellite or cable. So if you're going to watch the networks over the air make sure it has an HD tuner.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #4
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2738 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

LED TVs are just LCD panels with LEDs as a light source. No difference beyond that except thickness.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #5
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Going to bring a Dish? SlingBox from a laptop?

LED is probably slightly more durable than an LCD, but really depends how much you're willing to spend (and keeping in mind this TV will likely have an accident at some point).

The reason I ask about your video source is because people don't realize how many HD TV's don't have built in tuners. That means it can't get over the air TV, it is like a computer monitor. Just because something is in the tv aisle doesn't mean it has tuner these days because everyone has satellite or cable. So if you're going to watch the networks over the air make sure it has an HD tuner.
The plan is slingbox using a tablet, since there won't be wireless in the parking lot. I have my doubts about how well that will work.

There is an HD antenna we can get, but that will limit us to non cable channels.

A dish would be best, I wonder if any blue crew types have one.

We bought a LCD tv, a quick google search said they show better than an LED in sunlight. I'll have to check about the tuner.
Old 07-16-2012   #6
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I would definitely go LCD over plasma for the reasons mentioned above as well as weight. You don't want a have ass TV to move around if you're going to be bringing it to tailgates. I'd go LCD over LED for cost factor.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Question: Best TV type for tailgating?

Quote:
The plan is slingbox using a tablet, since there won't be wireless in the parking lot. I have my doubts about how well that will work.

There is an HD antenna we can get, but that will limit us to non cable channels.

A dish would be best, I wonder if any blue crew types have one.

We bought a LCD tv, a quick google search said they show better than an LED in sunlight. I'll have to check about the tuner.
If the Slingbox plan doesn't work out, don't buy an HD antenna. First take an old AM/FM coaxial antenna and try that. See how strong of a signal you get.

I wish I could find photo of one, they usually come with stereo receivers.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2012   #8
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
If the Slingbox plan doesn't work out, don't buy an HD antenna. First take an old AM/FM coaxial antenna and try that. See how strong of a signal you get.

I wish I could find photo of one, they usually come with stereo receivers.
Do you see the antenna TXDavid brought for the playoff game? It was a true work of art. If worse comes to worse, we can use that. It gave a very strong signal.
Old 07-16-2012   #9
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you see the antenna TXDavid brought for the playoff game? It was a true work of art. If worse comes to worse, we can use that. It gave a very strong signal.
I was trying to make one for this year with Texan Logo'd reflectors to make it stronger. Haven't had the time lately.

If you're interested in how I made it, I used a format similar to the plans on this website (they're free, just print them out).

http://www.tvantennaplans.com/
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDavid View Post
I was trying to make one for this year with Texan Logo'd reflectors to make it stronger. Haven't had the time lately.

If you're interested in how I made it, I used a format similar to the plans on this website (they're free, just print them out).

http://www.tvantennaplans.com/
You're such a geek, my friend!!!
Old 07-16-2012   #11
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
You're such a geek, my friend!!!
At least my antenna was made in America!
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #12
bpe3
Veteran

Rep Power: 352 bpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what kind of service you use, but AT&T can barely get a phone call through to my iPhone once the crowd starts filling up the parking lots. My incoming calls often go straight to voice mail. I usually drop my phone down from 3G to Edge network when I'm at the game. Phone calls go through much better on Edge than the over crowded 3G.

I don't see a laptop/tablet being able to handle streaming video in that environment, but your mileage may vary.

Rabbit ears have always worked just fine for us back in the old days before tailgating passes when we had lots of friends hanging out in the parking lot watching the games on TV. We've done the portable dish route with someone's home satellite receiver on occasion when we wanted ESPN or NFL Ticket. Usually not worth the hassle though unless there's a specific late game you want to watch that isn't being broadcast locally.

bpe3
bpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read