Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-11-2012   #121
TexMexMom
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster going vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
I guess some of our concerns is why change a diet?? The diet of his past has got him to be a top running back in the league. If it's not broken, why fix it?
What "past" are we referring to? When Arian's in training, he is highly disciplined. Lots of fish, chicken, turkey, rice, veggies, grains and fruits. Maybe a tad bit of meat but most of his ground beef had been replaced by ground turkey anyway. He has done that for a long time. Even before last season. It's been a couple years or so since I've actually known him to eat a steak. So while it's new to people's ears, it's not really new to his tummy.
TexMexMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #122
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexMom View Post
What "past" are we referring to? When Arian's in training, he is highly disciplined. Lots of fish, chicken, turkey, rice, veggies, grains and fruits. Maybe a tad bit of meat but most of his ground beef had been replaced by ground turkey anyway. He has done that for a long time. Even before last season. It's been a couple years or so since I've actually known him to eat a steak. So while it's new to people's ears, it's not really new to his tummy.
Thanks for the response and to clear some things up!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #123
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's always odd to me when people equate beef with meat. Fish, chicken, turkey -- all that's meat. It reminds me of that "Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" movie where the guy says he's vegetarian and the Greek lady says, "That's OK. I'll fix lamb."

Ground beef being replaced by ground turkey is meat being replaced by... meat. Leaner, but still meat.

My best friend is Vegan. Vegan-lifestyle not just vegetarian/Vegan diet. It's possible to get all the protein you need but it's tough and takes a lot more work. But as you say, Arian is disciplined and I'm sure he's thought this through.

I don't have any worries about this. (But remind him to supplement his creatine. Just in case.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012   #124
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Ground beef being replaced by ground turkey is meat being replaced by... meat. Leaner, but still meat.
People need to watch out on the bold. I have seen lots of chicken/turkey ground meat or sausage which is as fat or even more than beef/pork products sitting right next to them. Gotta look at the labels.
Old 07-11-2012   #125
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was raised a rancher's daughter so I doubt I'd ever go vegan. I love my steak. I just can't eat meat as regularly as I used to. And while I had some concerns about Arian's choice at first, just doing some research put me at ease. Plus, I have faith in my son's ability to do his due diligence and manage his diet and body properly. He is a professional and he knows what his obligations are.

His choice is purely a desire to be as healthy as possible, not to keep from hurting animals. Although, I'm sure he has no qualms about that either. But it's not driven by a "tree hugger's principles"...whatever that means.

For those who question the timing, let me just say that Arian has been sustaining a very healthy diet for quite some time now. He didn't binge on burgers last week and then decide to become a vegan. He's managed his diet during training and during the season quite effectively and his has had less meat for a long time. He has a strong sense of responsibility and discipline and I have no doubts he'll do whatever is good for his body in this line of work. I support him 100%.

In addition to all that, all this debate has everyone talking about diet, healthy choices and extending life. I know it's done that for me and my family as well. And that, cannot be all bad.
Hearing all of this from you has put my mind at total ease.

Sometimes we don't get the full story when an athlete makes a passing comment in the media, and we all appreciate you taking the time to come here and let us know the full scoop.

Rep your way. Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-11-2012   #126
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
People need to watch out on the bold. I have seen lots of chicken/turkey ground meat or sausage which is as fat or even more than beef/pork products sitting right next to them. Gotta look at the labels.
That's true. I was just generalizing and that's always dangerous.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #127
waddy
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 waddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respectedwaddy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his game will improve due to his new eating habits.

Though football is different to Ironman triathlons, Brendan Brazier seems to have done pretty well over the years being vegan.

Oh, and hello to the few people who know me on here. Sorry for being away for sooooo long! Nice to be back!
waddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #128
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...d-Arian-Foster

LOL, really? good luck, my man... you'll need it!

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read