Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-12-2012   #541
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Penn State Child Molestation Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And there you go. Paterno wasn't insulated from what was going on. This clearly reveals him to be a part of the problem. The whole bunch of them are just morally bankrupt people.
From the article linked above:

Quote:
Some of the report's most damning evidence against Paterno consists of handwritten notes and emails that portray him as being involved with a decision by the officials not to tell child welfare authorities about the 2001 encounter.

Spanier, Schultz and Curley drew up a plan that called for reporting Sandusky to the state Department of Child Welfare. But Curley later said in an email that he changed his mind about the plan "after giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe."

Spanier concurred but noted "the only downside for us is if the message isn't (heard) and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it."

The emails also show Paterno closely followed the 1998 allegation.
As I have said before, the actions of Paterno, Spanier, and Curley are as bad or even worse than Sandusky's. Sandusky is clearly mentally ill, but those men are/were perfectly sane, rational people that deliberated and then chose to allow it to continue. That is despicable. Frankly, I can't even think of a strong enough word. Sandusky and the whole lot of them needs to die in a freakin' fire. And the Penn St. football program needs to be permanently shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
tvs-at-psu-student-center-suddenly-change-channels-away-from-freeh-announcement

A press conference from lead investigator Louis Freeh which you can watch HERE was about to air on CNN. Large TVs in the Penn State student center were tuned in to the channel. But then, something happened, per the Philadelphia Inquirer

But, just as an anchor was ready to speak about the report, the television screens suddenly went blank. They then turned to a public access channel featuring a reporter from The Morning Call newspaper in Allentown about the state budget.
LOL, and they're still covering things up. That's just amazing.
Old 07-12-2012   #542
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

From the SI Link

Quote:
Freeh said officials had opportunities in 1998 and 2001 to step in.

Sexual abuse might have been prevented if university officials had banned Sandusky from bringing children onto campus after a 1998 inquiry, the report said. Despite their knowledge of the police probe into Sandusky showering with a boy in a football locker room, Spanier, Paterno, Curley and Schultz took no action to limit his access to campus, the report said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz20QrMiHV9
The bolded statement bugs me for some reason. Banning Sandusky from bringing children onto campus wouldn't have stopped the abuse. Turning him into the authorities was the only way to do that. He would have just found another venue.

It seems to me that some people still aren't getting it.
Old 07-12-2012   #543
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
The bolded statement bugs me for some reason. Banning Sandusky from bringing children onto campus wouldn't have stopped the abuse. Turning him into the authorities was the only way to do that. He would have just found another venue.

It seems to me that some people still aren't getting it.
Exactly. And it seems to me that people still aren't viewing the accomplice angle as seriously as they should. I don't know that there has been a news story that has made me this angry in a very long time.
Old 07-12-2012   #544
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
From the article linked above:

Quote:
Some of the report's most damning evidence against Paterno consists of handwritten notes and emails that portray him as being involved with a decision by the officials not to tell child welfare authorities about the 2001 encounter.

Spanier, Schultz and Curley drew up a plan that called for reporting Sandusky to the state Department of Child Welfare. But Curley later said in an email that he changed his mind about the plan "after giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe."

Spanier concurred but noted "the only downside for us is if the message isn't (heard) and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it."

The emails also show Paterno closely followed the 1998 allegation.

As I have said before, the actions of Paterno, Spanier, and Curley are as bad or even worse than Sandusky's. Sandusky is clearly mentally ill, but those men are/were perfectly sane, rational people that deliberated and then chose to allow it to continue. That is despicable. Frankly, I can't even think of a strong enough word. Sandusky and the whole lot of them needs to die in a freakin' fire. And the Penn St. football program needs to be permanently shut down.
My thoughts, as well. Now there is not even the slightest doubt that Paterno knew, and not only did he know, he actively participated in the cover-up in order to protect his career and institution. He's a despicable P.O.S. human being along with the rest of them.

And if they continue to "honor" him with statues and the like, I think the entire university, staff, and student body need a serious gut check and deep soul search to figure out what is truly important in life. The lack of honor and the void of just common decency is revealing of a culture that values the wrong things in this world.

No only should they nuke the football program, they need to just demolish the buildings that Sandusky used to commit these heinous acts. I do not comprehend how a student athlete can use the place and not be completely repulsed by all of it.
Old 07-12-2012   #545
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

My Coogs should have left their foot on the pedal in the 2nd half of the bowl game against Penn State back in January. We could have easily put 60+ on those guys.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #546
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
I do not comprehend how a student athlete can use the place and not be completely repulsed by all of it.
Eewww.

I probably need to permanently check out of this thread. This would be one of those threads I'd put on ignore if such a forum feature existed.
Old 07-12-2012   #547
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone see Matt Millen on ESPN earlier? If you didn't just go to Twitter and type his name and you'll see the reaction. His reaction is what disturbs me so much about all of this. These people can't rationally think about what happened without defending Paterno, like somehow it wasn't that bad and that everyone makes mistakes. It's unreal. His statements today made his tenure as Lions GM seem successful.
Old 07-12-2012   #548
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

PSU is looking at the death penalty.

Of course I bet they still get off lighter than Reggie and USC did.

And yeah, the whole Cult of JoePa thing is getting very creepy.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #549
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Did anyone see Matt Millen on ESPN earlier? If you didn't just go to Twitter and type his name and you'll see the reaction. His reaction is what disturbs me so much about all of this. These people can't rationally think about what happened without defending Paterno, like somehow it wasn't that bad and that everyone makes mistakes. It's unreal. His statements today made his tenure as Lions GM seem successful.

Was that who was on Mike and Mike around 8:30 this morning? There was a Penn St football alum on talking about how great Joe was and how all of this just doesnt make sense because Joe was so "by the rules" it was and is still sick
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #550
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Matt Millen. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul."
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #551
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's getting ripped about his reaction now.

This guy rants on Millen (deservedly so, imo):

ESPN Trots Out Matt Millen To Fumble His Way Through The Freeh Report

The Detroit Free Press, obviously in tune with Millen like we are about Casserly, looks to be trying to get him fired from ESPN:

Matt Millen ripped for his take on Penn State report

What an idiotic decision by ESPN to put Millen out there, because the guy lacks any sense of objectivity due to his obvious man-crush on Paterno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
PSU is looking at the death penalty.

Of course I bet they still get off lighter than Reggie and USC did.

And yeah, the whole Cult of JoePa thing is getting very creepy.
You got that right. It's almost like the Moonies or something, completely unable to comprehend reality outside of the bubble.

At some point they have to figure out that there is absolutely nothing about their precious school that is more important than this story and ensuing cover-up for so many years.
Old 07-12-2012   #552
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

My best "tweet" of the day on Travis Rodger's show (which he didn't give me credit for) was something like this:

[paraphrased]
It's a good thing this didn't happen in Texas because JoePa's body would be exhumed so that the state could execute him.....

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 07-13-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #553
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Was that who was on Mike and Mike around 8:30 this morning? There was a Penn St football alum on talking about how great Joe was and how all of this just doesnt make sense because Joe was so "by the rules" it was and is still sick
It was on TV(ESPN) when the report first came out. He was one of the first people they trotted out. No sense of reality. I blame ESPN as much as him because they knew he would have no impartiality.

Quote:
He's getting ripped about his reaction now.

This guy rants on Millen (deservedly so, imo):

ESPN Trots Out Matt Millen To Fumble His Way Through The Freeh Report

The Detroit Free Press, obviously in tune with Millen like we are about Casserly, looks to be trying to get him fired from ESPN:

Matt Millen ripped for his take on Penn State report

What an idiotic decision by ESPN to put Millen out there, because the guy lacks any sense of objectivity due to his obvious man-crush on Paterno.

Agree with everything here. I had seen the deadspin article but not the other one. Thanks!Millen has no business commenting on this or anything GM related.
Old 07-13-2012   #554
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Penn St. should never be allowed to field a football team again. Death penalty of the highest order. Lay waste to the stadium, the lockerrooms, the offices, the statues, the record books, all of it. Anything that Paterno built, destroy it so that Paterno's family, Penn St. or anyone else even remotely involved won't see another dime from it. Football may only be revenue to schools, it may only be a job to some but to us....football is sacred. The gridirons are hallowed grounds, where our gladiators rumble, the spirit of competition is embraced and all else is forgotten for an afternoon. These people have bastardized all of it beyond what words can describe. All they've done is remind us that there is no depth too low, no pit too black, no evil too despicable to commit.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #555
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

"I enjoy young people"

Those words still make me shudder. I couldn't imagine having my favorite program be attached at the hip to some scum like Sandusky, including the cover-up administration in addition to Paterno. The arrogance and

For someone like Paterno (who everyone suggests always did the right thing, and is nothing but a good person) to turn a blind eye to child abuse to protect a freaking brand is astounding. It really makes you wonder if ANYONE'S honor and integrity can be compromised if the price is high enough.

I think Penn State Football AT LEAST should get the death penalty. But I fear they will weasel out of it somehow. I am sure Penn State alumni include some powerful people. And we all know that when it comes down to it, money talks and abused children walk.
Old 07-13-2012   #556
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Penn St. should never be allowed to field a football team again. Death penalty of the highest order. Lay waste to the stadium, the lockerrooms, the offices, the statues, the record books, all of it. Anything that Paterno built, destroy it so that Paterno's family, Penn St. or anyone else even remotely involved won't see another dime from it. Football may only be revenue to schools, it may only be a job to some but to us....football is sacred. The gridirons are hallowed grounds, where our gladiators rumble, the spirit of competition is embraced and all else is forgotten for an afternoon. These people have bastardized all of it beyond what words can describe. All they've done is remind us that there is no depth too low, no pit too black, no evil too despicable to commit.
"hallowed grounds", "gladiators". Get a life. It's a game.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #557
Blake
MMQB

Of course they do...

Paterno family denies Louis Freeh report findings

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/...gs-3709996.php
Old 07-16-2012   #558
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Paterno being Catholic had anything to do with his attitude about child molestation.

Since his church has covered for priests for years, maybe he just thought that was the appropriate way to handle it.
Old 07-16-2012   #559
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've come to the conclusion that the remaining culprits should have two choices .

1. Give PSU the death penalty

2. PSU gets to keep football and y'all get 20 years in prison
Old 07-16-2012   #560
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I wonder if Paterno being Catholic had anything to do with his attitude about child molestation.

Since his church has covered for priests for years, maybe he just thought that was the appropriate way to handle it.
I hope that was a joke, because it was a pretty lame comment otherwise.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read