Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-04-2012   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans’ Unsung Defender - Glover Quin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He was given the nickname "Q-tip" by the press after the Hail Mary play.
ouch...
Old 07-05-2012   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Love Quin but don't see offering him much to remain. I expect a draft pick to replace him.
How long did we go without having safeties worth a crap? A long friggin time. We should retain him, considering he should be affordable.
Old 07-05-2012   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, when I go back and look at that Miami game we played this past year. I recall him making a game saving tackle on a RB in the first half. It was a small contribution but at the time Miami was running pretty good on us and had he not made that tackle, the RB scores and that game becomes too close. I also believe later he caused a fumble that changed the direction of the game. Like I said, small contributions that made the difference in games. I want to keep Quin.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see Quin progress a little more this upcoming year to declare him a keeper.

His salary is bound to go up next year. And his play needs to improve to warrant that.

Otherwise, he would be just another rover, a dime-and-dozen.
Basically, good solid depth but not quite a starter on a team that strives to win a SB.

The same line of thought goes for KJ who also needs to improve his play.
His level of play in the second half of the year was close to how a #2 on a good team should play, but he still needs to do better than that to be a legit starter.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Basically, good solid depth but not quite a starter on a team that strives to win a SB.
He's miles ahead of Matt Stevens who has a SB ring as a SB starter.
Old 07-05-2012   #26
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a fan of troy nolan, he is a daniel manning type player and has shown a knack for the ball. Game changing ability is def there for nolan and he has good speed.
Old 07-05-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Glover is blue collar, get the job done, not a lot of flash, but solid & versatile. He's not going anywhere.

He'll likely get a pay raise, but nothing jaw-dropping.

Being that he isn't flashy, he won't get a lot of attention from other teams. He'll be Texans for a long time to come.
Old 07-05-2012   #28
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He's miles ahead of Matt Stevens who has a SB ring as a SB starter.
We're only talking about each player carrying his own weight on a contending team.

Such player sees the majority of the snaps (when healthy); ie. Daniel Manning.

We're not debating whether luck can give a player a SB ring.

I'm not knocking Quin.
He's still somewhat young.
If he can take one more step to the next level, we will be good.

Quin has been good value where we drafted him, but the same thing can also be said for Nolan.

It doesn't matter where they were drafted; once they are done with the original contract, they have to step up their game to earn the next one as a starter.
Old 07-05-2012   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We're only talking about each player carrying his own weight on a contending team.

Such player sees the majority of the snaps (when healthy); ie. Daniel Manning.

We're not debating whether luck can give a player a SB ring.
The point I was implying was you can look at every SB winner and they aren't all stars. Some of them are guys who hold down their position well enough. I guess you can call that luck.
Old 07-05-2012   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The point I was implying was you can look at every SB winner and they aren't all stars. Some of them are guys who hold down their position well enough. I guess you can call that luck.
I agree with you.

A team like the Texans, for example, if they can continue to bring on the pass rush (without blitzing too much - being forced to, instead of disguising it) can afford to carry a player of a lesser worth.

Or a team with a great center-fielder like Ed Reed can help out the secondary overall.

And maybe Manning can approach Reed's status.

But, we're talking about forward progress.

We cannot simply accept the same level of play from Quin (while giving him more money after this contract).
I'm saying this for several other players on the roster as well - and not singling out Quin.

Sure, we don't need eleven all-stars on defense.
but we need to balance our budget with a few all-stars and several "role" players (a few may make more difference than others).

A guy like Nolan can push Quin out of a job if he improves a little more (while Quin remains flat) purely due to economics.
Old 07-05-2012   #31
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Jimmy Graham smoked Quin on a up route when Glover had him in man coverage. But, Graham had his way with a lot of DBs last year.
Exactly. Two pro bowlers are the names we can come up with. Add to that playing DB is a game of failure, like shooting hoops or swinging a bat. You're going to fail, plain and simple. The glaring failures we can cite are against top of the top quality receivers, with good to awesome QBs helping that.

If Quin's abilities were a dime-a-dozen, how come we don't have a dozen good DBs on the roster?

Better yet, name 12 DBs that you would consider quality starters that have ever put on a Houston Texans jersey.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Exactly. Two pro bowlers are the names we can come up with. Add to that playing DB is a game of failure, like shooting hoops or swinging a bat. You're going to fail, plain and simple. The glaring failures we can cite are against top of the top quality receivers, with good to awesome QBs helping that.
Then when you take into account what Jacoby did to Ed Reed..... kinda makes your point. The key is to have as few of those bad plays as possible. I would wager Glover's bad highlight plays are about as few as any safety in the league (we're talking 2011 here).

The difference (& I understand where they're coming from) that the, "we need to upgrade that position" see, is that he doesn't have very many plus plays. He's a defender & he's going to make it difficult for a receiver to make a catch.. or for a QB to make a throw.. but he's not going to scare anyone, or rack up a bunch of pick 6es.

& that's cool. If there's a guy out there that is an obvious upgrade, but won't break the bank, let's get him. But for the money, I don't know we can do better than Glover, when you count the intangibles.

He's a leader & a baller.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 07-05-2012 at 11:50 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you.

A team like the Texans, for example, if they can continue to bring on the pass rush (without blitzing too much - being forced to, instead of disguising it) can afford to carry a player of a lesser worth.

Or a team with a great center-fielder like Ed Reed can help out the secondary overall.

And maybe Manning can approach Reed's status.

But, we're talking about forward progress.

We cannot simply accept the same level of play from Quin (while giving him more money after this contract).
I'm saying this for several other players on the roster as well - and not singling out Quin.

Sure, we don't need eleven all-stars on defense.
but we need to balance our budget with a few all-stars and several "role" players (a few may make more difference than others).

A guy like Nolan can push Quin out of a job if he improves a little more (while Quin remains flat) purely due to economics.
I agree with what you're saying. Its kind of a tough situation though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Continuity is just as important in the secondary as OL. Texans should be set with Manning & Quin @ safety with Joseph/Jackson CB's & nickle backs McCain/Harris. Plus young developmental DB's for depth we're good. In pecking order of importance right now I give edge to Glover over Jackson as #3 interesting since both contracts need evaluated. CB positionally has advantage, big season ahead for both & group in general.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #35
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another player that has more value for the Texans to keep than for other teams to take; but, that other teams will probably overpay to get him away from us. I say we up the ante until one of our division foes makes a stupid offer and then let him go there.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #36
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The difference (& I understand where they're coming from) that the, "we need to upgrade that position" see, is that he doesn't have very many plus plays. He's a defender & he's going to make it difficult for a receiver to make a catch.. or for a QB to make a throw.. but he's not going to scare anyone, or rack up a bunch of pick 6es.

& that's cool. If there's a guy out there that is an obvious upgrade, but won't break the bank, let's get him. But for the money, I don't know we can do better than Glover, when you count the intangibles.
Well, barring a wave of cheap, all-star DBs falling from the sky I think I'm going to have get over his lack of int's. Besides, what good is J-Jo and Manning if they had a gaping hole between them? Having a competent, quality starter there just makes those two shine a little brighter.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read