Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-02-2012   #61
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans chances of making it to the HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I hate judging on numbers because numbers can be skewed for so many reasons.

Everyone knows Andre has been the best WR in football for YEARS. At the very worst, 1a.

When you're dominant at your position for that long of a time, and your talents are what they are, you should go into the HOF, numbers be damned.
Define "Everyone".
Old 07-03-2012   #62
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone as in those in the football world that's not a ****ing moron.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #63
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate judging on numbers because numbers can be skewed for so many reasons.

Everyone knows Andre has been the best WR in football for YEARS. At the very worst, 1a.

When you're dominant at your position for that long of a time, and your talents are what they are, you should go into the HOF, numbers be damned.
While I feel where you're coming from, the truth is that its SUSTAINED PERFORMANCE that gets you into the Hall. Now one can gage sustained performance in at several ways:
1. Straight up numbers: Was the guy at or near the top of whatever performance stats important to his position year after year after year? This is where I kind of agree with Matrix because if you're in the right "system" your numbers can be inflated.

2. Post-season performance: Did the guy lead his team to post-season success and perform well on the big stage (see Lynn Swann)?

3. Did the guy's performance "change the game" relative to his position or if not a game changer, was he dominant at his position over the course of his career? If he was he should have a boat load of All Pro or Pro Bowls on his resume'.

You guys can probably think of others, but these are the three that spring instantly to mind when I think Hall of Fame.

When healthy, there's no question that A.J. is one of the dominant forces at WR. But he lacks the pure numbers and with only two post-season games on his resume', he's borderline at best ....at this point. If we get to the post-season and A.J. shines in each game, the pendulum will swing in his direction.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
While I feel where you're coming from, the truth is that its SUSTAINED PERFORMANCE that gets you into the Hall. Now one can gage sustained performance in at several ways:
1. Straight up numbers: Was the guy at or near the top of whatever performance stats important to his position year after year after year? This is where I kind of agree with Matrix because if you're in the right "system" your numbers can be inflated.

2. Post-season performance: Did the guy lead his team to post-season success and perform well on the big stage (see Lynn Swann)?

3. Did the guy's performance "change the game" relative to his position or if not a game changer, was he dominant at his position over the course of his career? If he was he should have a boat load of All Pro or Pro Bowls on his resume'.

You guys can probably think of others, but these are the three that spring instantly to mind when I think Hall of Fame.

When healthy, there's no question that A.J. is one of the dominant forces at WR. But he lacks the pure numbers and with only two post-season games on his resume', he's borderline at best ....at this point. If we get to the post-season and A.J. shines in each game, the pendulum will swing in his direction.
This is why I included all-pro and pro-bowls in my stats. AJ has put up some good numbers, although he has to continue putting them up. But he's already got some pretty good all-pro/pro-bowl numbers that put him up there with guys already in the league.

If he can have a couple of great seasons and a few more good seasons after that, AND if we can get him into the playoffs healthy and have him dominate, he should get into the HOF. Because after that many seasons of sustained performance, he'd be in the upper echelon in all those categories.

But we need to get him some more playoff wins and a SB or three.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #65
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Everyone as in those in the football world that's not a ****ing moron.
Soooo .... none of the HoF voters. Got it.

I think based on greatness, AJ should get in. I think based on the random ass, inconsistent and totally FUBAR criteria that the HOF voters use, AJ doesn't get in. So it doesn't matter what I think. I also think Dr. Doom should be in the HoF.
Old 07-03-2012   #66
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Soooo .... none of the HoF voters. Got it.

I think based on greatness, AJ should get in. I think based on the random ass, inconsistent and totally FUBAR criteria that the HOF voters use, AJ doesn't get in. So it doesn't matter what I think. I also think Dr. Doom should be in the HoF.
He should be there for sure. A baller if I've ever seen one. Still looks good today according to a recent Wiki photo. Searched but couldn't confirm and my memory is somewhat shaky but I'll go with #52.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012   #67
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Cant believe no one has mentioned matt freaking stevens or fred "dont tase me bro" weary. Truly texans all time greats. Its gonna be a while yet fellas.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read