Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-28-2012   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That is not what I think you said. You indicated you wanted OD or Casey to be the FB. I don't like that as in many situations the defense will blitz and I don't want either of those having to pick up blitz. For that matter, until Matt is more certain I want a big old FB not a h-back blocking. Most of us agree Schaub being healthy is key to a deep playoff drive. Why put him at risk?
First off, it was me and not TK.

Second, having the TE line up as FB and then motion out or line up outside and motion in are both integral parts of this offense that Kubiak has employed since day 1. If Schaub isn't up to that, then Schaub won't be on the field.

You might want to have a big personal-protector FB to keep Schaub safe, but there's no way Kubiak will play that game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I would like to know who thinks he's an all world guy. I think at this point in his career most would agree that he's solid, with the potential of showing great flashes at certain times.
I agree.

and add.......

The odds of Plaxico Burress filling in as a productive #1 (in the event Andre is out) are much greater than KDub or anyone else on our roster at this moment.
Old 06-28-2012   #83
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
First off, it was me and not TK.

Second, having the TE line up as FB and then motion out or line up outside and motion in are both integral parts of this offense that Kubiak has employed since day 1. If Schaub isn't up to that, then Schaub won't be on the field.

You might want to have a big personal-protector FB to keep Schaub safe, but there's no way Kubiak will play that game.
apology if needed as I did not look at the name just responded to post. I think Schaub must be protected much more this season than last so any scheme we ran with him last season should be tweeked to keep our best QB by far on the field. To say we run exact same protection scheme as last season pre-injury does not make sense to me nor does saying if Matt cannot perform as he did pre-Lisfranc he should not be on the field. A 75% Matt Schaub is still better than TJ and I like the kid.
Old 06-28-2012   #84
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
apology if needed as I did not look at the name just responded to post. I think Schaub must be protected much more this season than last so any scheme we ran with him last season should be tweeked to keep our best QB by far on the field. To say we run exact same protection scheme as last season pre-injury does not make sense to me nor does saying if Matt cannot perform as he did pre-Lisfranc he should not be on the field. A 75% Matt Schaub is still better than TJ and I like the kid.
If you have to radically change the whole concept of your offense to protect 1 player, then you have to move on from that player. And keeping a true FB on the field on passing downs to be able to pick up blitzes is a major departure from the concept of the offense.

It's not going to happen.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Still doesn't matter. What he explained is a ploy designed to force the defense out of a called blitz, or provide a quick, easy dump-off in the face of a blitz.

If Schaub does not recognize the blitz & there's an open OD/Casey, or OD on a smaller DB mismatch... that's on Schaub.

Besides, Arian Foster or Ben Tate will still be back there to pick up the blitz... our FBs haven't really been a big part of our pass coverage, not so much to say that they're better options than either OD or Casey back there.
Old 06-28-2012   #86
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is not what I think you said. You indicated you wanted OD or Casey to be the FB. I don't like that as in many situations the defense will blitz and I don't want either of those having to pick up blitz. For that matter, until Matt is more certain I want a big old FB not a h-back blocking. Most of us agree Schaub being healthy is key to a deep playoff drive. Why put him at risk?
You're rarely going to see a FB in the game for most passing plays. Perhaps on early downs early in the game
Old 06-28-2012   #87
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would like to know who thinks he's an all world guy. I think at this point in his career most would agree that he's solid, with the potential of showing great flashes at certain times.
The ones who are clamoring for us to get him.

He'd be here already if he was as important as some think he is. Unless he is asking too much, which is my assertion as to why he's not here nor on any other of the 31 NFL teams right now.

Why do the Texans have to be the schmucks who overpay for him? I thought those days were behind us.

All of this is for naught. Some team will flinch and pay him more than vet minimum. Happens all the time, everybody's just sort of sitting around waiting to see who flinches first.
Old 06-28-2012   #88
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

He'd be here already if he was as important as some think he is. Unless he is asking too much, which is my assertion as to why he's not here nor on any other of the 31 NFL teams right now.

Why do the Texans have to be the schmucks who overpay for him? I thought those days were behind us.

All of this is for naught. Some team will flinch and pay him more than vet minimum. Happens all the time, everybody's just sort of sitting around waiting to see who flinches first.
We need to improve this receiving core big time. We are in that small window where he can potentially win a SB, so making those extra moves to "win now" is essential. Do you honestly think that our WR core isn't in need of a vast improvement?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #89
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's a good possibility that he may be asking for 3+ million dollars a year right now. But honestly can you blame him? He missed out on millions after being locked up for 2 years. I doubt that the Texans would pay him any more than 1.5m if they were interested though so I don't think you have to worry about that.

But I really don't think anyone thinks the guy an all world player right now. I think there are people who respect his ability to help us in certain aspects, but I don't think anyone would confuse him with Andre, Calvin Johnson, or Fitz who are truly all world.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #90
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

& that's fine. No one here has said anything about paying him more than the vet minimum.

Well maybe they have, but it's not the majority opinion of the people saying they want him here.

If he goes somewhere else for more money, more power to the brother.

No harm, no foul...... this is a message board, & this is what we do.
Old 06-29-2012   #91
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see Plaxico in a Texans uni, he's a one big mistake kind of guy who can be productive for us, and that surely is more important than any character concern. Don't forget that had he done what he went to prison for in Texas, he'd have been labelled an idiot rather than a criminal.

The only doubt in my mind is whether Kubiak really wants a second playmaking receiver in his offense, or, as has been suggested in the thread about Walters' value, he prefers to have his second guy clearing space for his TE's and running game.

They say a rookie receiver, in general, doesn't truly get up to speed until year 3, our O seems complicated for young receivers, so the likes of DeVier & co, regardless of talent, aren't guys I'd like us to rely on next season, Burress might be a good short term option.

Also, what does overpaying look like if he comes in and improves the team? We overpaid for what we got out of AJ last season, were we schmuks for handing him his massive contract? I don't think so, so what if its a little above minimum, so long as it isn't guaranteed and we can get shot (pardon the pun) if it doesn't pan out.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #92
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
We need to improve this receiving core big time. We are in that small window where he can potentially win a SB, so making those extra moves to "win now" is essential. Do you honestly think that our WR core isn't in need of a vast improvement?
What I think or you think seems to not be a concern of Kubiak.

For whatever reason, he hasn't put the amount of firepower at WR that we all would like him to.

So this year I've come to the conclusion that Gary is fundamentally and unequivocally OK with having what appears to be a low key WR unit, preferring to let the run game and TEs and AJ eat most of the snaps.

The WR2 on a Kubiak team will perhaps never be the pass catching TD machine we'd like it to be. That's why perhaps Burress is not as needed as some think him to be.
Old 06-29-2012   #93
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What I think or you think seems to not be a concern of Kubiak.

For whatever reason, he hasn't put the amount of firepower at WR that we all would like him to.

So this year I've come to the conclusion that Gary is fundamentally and unequivocally OK with having what appears to be a low key WR unit, preferring to let the run game and TEs and AJ eat most of the snaps.

The WR2 on a Kubiak team will perhaps never be the pass catching TD machine we'd like it to be. That's why perhaps Burress is not as needed as some think him to be.
I've said it before once but I think it will be very interesting to see what Kubes does when Andre is done. Dre is the only guy on our team who isn't a Kubiak pick now, we've never seen him go after a top line wideout, and he's never had to because of AJ, will we see him wait until he hits some value in the mid-late rounds or will he go for a #1 pick WR to keep things the same.

As far as Kubes' favoured personnel choices, its the last unknown for me, we know he's willing to wait for value at RB, OL, sign TE's until he hits the right guy, and prefers to draft high on D to cover his coaching inability on that side of the ball (which may now change, although I doubt Wade sticks around for that long). We also know he's willing to spend big on his QB when necessary.

We all know he's happy with a good route runner who can block at WR2, what does he look for in a WR1 if he doesn't have one of the best talents of all time *forced* on him? We just can't tell.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #94
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Add Plaxico to Johnson, Schaub, Foster...and that DEFENSE...and all I can say is:

Super Bowl!!!!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #95
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I've said it before once but I think it will be very interesting to see what Kubes does when Andre is done. Dre is the only guy on our team who isn't a Kubiak pick now, we've never seen him go after a top line wideout, and he's never had to because of AJ, will we see him wait until he hits some value in the mid-late rounds or will he go for a #1 pick WR to keep things the same.

As far as Kubes' favoured personnel choices, its the last unknown for me, we know he's willing to wait for value at RB, OL, sign TE's until he hits the right guy, and prefers to draft high on D to cover his coaching inability on that side of the ball (which may now change, although I doubt Wade sticks around for that long). We also know he's willing to spend big on his QB when necessary.

We all know he's happy with a good route runner who can block at WR2, what does he look for in a WR1 if he doesn't have one of the best talents of all time *forced* on him? We just can't tell.
Agree with EVERYTHING up there ^^^^.

+1000
Old 06-29-2012   #96
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

WHomever is the #2 WR does not have to be really good just offer a target and be able to open up other players.
Old 06-29-2012   #97
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26531 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I think when Kubiak thinks of receivers he looks at how he won in Denver. While Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey were really good in that system, I doubt anyone would step out there and say they were elite. They came off as blue collar guys who knew how to get open. It seems like that's the kind of receivers that Kubs is drawn to.
Old 06-29-2012   #98
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I think when Kubiak thinks of receivers he looks at how he won in Denver. While Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey were really good in that system, I doubt anyone would step out there and say they were elite. They came off as blue collar guys who knew how to get open. It seems like that's the kind of receivers that Kubs is drawn to.
I think Rod Smith is elite & actually think he is the guy Andre reminds me most of.

But as far as what Kubiak is looking for in WRs, or why our WR pool is so low, it is because Andre is so good. WR has been a need for a while, that's why we drafted Jacoby Jones. Darkhorse, long-shot..... whatever. We didn't have a #1 to spend on a WR, we didn't have a #2. They took a shot at someone they thought they could mold & it just didn't work. Jacoby is not that guy.

We took a shot with some talented UDFAs last year, none of them could stay healthy through camp.

But Kubiak's been working to improve a bottom quartile defense since he's got here & has been using the majority of his high draft picks & FA dollars to do so.

He's been making us lemon aid with the lemons he's had to deal with on offense.

Wade Phillips was a great higher in my mind, because I thought with a guy of that caliber, he could do the same as Kubiak on the offensive side & not need the best talent available at every position.

However, losing Mario, there was no doubt in my mind we'd go DE with the first over-all (DE, OLB, pass-rusher, you know what I mean).

Otherwise, I'm sure we'd have got the best available WR with that pick. Not that I have a problem with the guys we've got, I think Smithiak did a good job hedging their bets. We've still got the guys who we thought could do something from last year, but got hurt, then they got us two more through the draft, then brought in more UDFAs....

No doubt in my mind they feel the same way we do about WR #2
Old 06-29-2012   #99
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Rod Smith is elite & actually think he is the guy Andre reminds me most of.

But as far as what Kubiak is looking for in WRs, or why our WR pool is so low, it is because Andre is so good. WR has been a need for a while, that's why we drafted Jacoby Jones. Darkhorse, long-shot..... whatever. We didn't have a #1 to spend on a WR, we didn't have a #2. They took a shot at someone they thought they could mold & it just didn't work. Jacoby is not that guy.

We took a shot with some talented UDFAs last year, none of them could stay healthy through camp.

But Kubiak's been working to improve a bottom quartile defense since he's got here & has been using the majority of his high draft picks & FA dollars to do so.

He's been making us lemon aid with the lemons he's had to deal with on offense.

Wade Phillips was a great higher in my mind, because I thought with a guy of that caliber, he could do the same as Kubiak on the offensive side & not need the best talent available at every position.

However, losing Mario, there was no doubt in my mind we'd go DE with the first over-all (DE, OLB, pass-rusher, you know what I mean).

Otherwise, I'm sure we'd have got the best available WR with that pick. Not that I have a problem with the guys we've got, I think Smithiak did a good job hedging their bets. We've still got the guys who we thought could do something from last year, but got hurt, then they got us two more through the draft, then brought in more UDFAs....

No doubt in my mind they feel the same way we do about WR #2
I probably am short changing Rod Smith somewhat. He was very good for a long time in the league so saying he is elite isn't a stretch at all.

I agree pretty much with everything else you said, but still think Kubiak doesn't see receiver as a huge priority. We're probably the only team that Walter could be a starter for. For most teams he wouldn't even be a #3.

Last edited by Texn4life; 06-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2012   #100
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The #2 receiver, in this offense especially, should have the potential for and should be undergoing grooming for the #1 receiver spot. With continued short-sightedness, I can just see two Kevin Walters playing opposite each other when Andre goes down and stays down. Even "next man up" requires a decent special talent to make it work.

They used to call me #2........not anymore!!!!!!!
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read