Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-27-2012   #61
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

An offense with Dre on one side, Plax on the other, KW in the slot, Casey/OD lined up as full back and then motioning out to the slot, with Arian at RB, and Matt at QB? Dre and Plax stretch the defense to the breaking point and then KW/Casey/OD/Arian rip its heart out.

I would not mind that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #62
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans sign him to anything more than the veteran minimum, he is likely to cost them, roughly, a 5th round compensatory pick in next year's draft... I'm sure that is an issue if they have interest in bringing him in.
Old 06-27-2012   #63
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From Sporting News:

Expendables? Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens among five big-name free agents desperate for work
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #64
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Randy Moss is an example of what happens when good players find ways to limit their own success with new teams.

With the Patriots and Titans, Randy Moss blew it big time.

Burress could come here and fall apart trying to learn the offense and being forced to play within its limits. He could just as easily do really well, though, but still...it's not a lock that the guy comes here and picks up the offense and performs as well as some think.

And nobody knows that his asking price is low all of a sudden. I thought that there was a vet minimum anyways, which means he's not going to be had for a few hundred thousand dollars like rookies are.
Yeah kind of like T.O. when he moved from the 49ers to Philly.

Didn't Philly make the SB T.O. 1st yr in Philly. We dont need somebody like that.

And no I dont want the Texans to sign T.O.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #65
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If the Texans sign him to anything more than the veteran minimum, he is likely to cost them, roughly, a 5th round compensatory pick in next year's draft... I'm sure that is an issue if they have interest in bringing him in.
The period for determining compensatory picks has come and gone. Anyone signed by the Texans (or any other NFL team for that matter) on June 1st or later will have no impact on the compensatory pick calculations. For this reason, neither Alan Ball nor Justion Forsett have any potential to negatively impact those picks.
Old 06-27-2012   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
An offense with Dre on one side, Plax on the other, KW in the slot, Casey/OD lined up as full back and then motioning out to the slot, with Arian at RB, and Matt at QB? Dre and Plax stretch the defense to the breaking point and then KW/Casey/OD/Arian rip its heart out.

I would not mind that.
I see the bolded not so much OD at FB. Don't see Kubes risking injury to his QBs without a big FB blocking.
Old 06-27-2012   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I see the bolded not so much OD at FB. Don't see Kubes risking injury to his QBs without a big FB blocking.
Huh? We did this all the time last year. Line up OD in the backfield and then motion him out and go without a FB blocking. We also did the opposite, lining OD up outside and then bringing him into the backfield lined up like a FB. Kubes does lots of stuff like that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #68
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hey my brother, I'm pretty sure the run game is not where we need help. Where need help is another deep threat receiver to take away from double and in times triple teams on Dre...

Is Plax that guy?? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure his persona as an "alpha dog" falls short of being second fiddle to Dre. Let's look inward to recent draft choices including Jeff Maehl (sp?) or Posey... Yes???
He helps the run game by requiring the defense to cover him. Jacoby was never able to do that, and I don't think they will be scared of KW. Put a 6'5 Plaxico on the opposite side of AJ, and the opposing safeties will be watching for the pass, not the run. A guy that big is tough for a 5'10 CB to cover. KW would be in the slot, which I think is a good spot for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The only thing that worries me, is that he's 35. At that age, you might have it one day, & not the next. If he comes into camp & can still run a 4.5 forty, I'd sign him. But what are the odds......

a 3 or 4.. in this offense? He's not much good for Andre unless he's pushing Walter for playing time...... at #2. If he can't do that, I'd just as soon get the kids (Keshawn & DeVier) out there & let them compete for Walters job.
It really doesn't cost the team much to bring him in on a vet minimum deal for at least training camp. I think a vet like him would be more useful in the passing game than a couple rookies.
Old 06-27-2012   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Huh? We did this all the time last year. Line up OD in the backfield and then motion him out and go without a FB blocking. We also did the opposite, lining OD up outside and then bringing him into the backfield lined up like a FB. Kubes does lots of stuff like that.
Uh, Kubes coming back with foot injury after missing several games. I stand by my statement.
Old 06-28-2012   #70
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Uh, Kubes coming back with foot injury after missing several games. I stand by my statement.
I don't care what the situation is with Kubes foot. You will see several formations where there is only a halfback in the backfield. Arian & Ben aren't chopped liver in pass pro, they know their job.
Old 06-28-2012   #71
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Even better. If Cheddar Bomb can contribute, I'd take a flyer on him.
cheddar bomb?? lol sounds like a dish at chili's...

its chedder bob...
Old 06-28-2012   #72
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
How do you know what he's asking? The dude is 34 and had an average season on a team with an average QB. He really shouldn't garner more than vet min plus incentives.
If he's the WR you think he is, the guy he's being built up as, then why isn't he already on one of the 32 NFL teams by now?

Answer: His asking price.
Old 06-28-2012   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If he's the WR you think he is, the guy he's being built up as, then why isn't he already on one of the 32 NFL teams by now?

Answer: His asking price.
Again, Rosenhaus.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #74
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Seriously? lol. I highly doubt it. Teams don't shy away from making moves due to possible loss of comp picks the following year. I'd be surprised if a team even mention comp picks until the season was over with.
Old 06-28-2012   #75
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yeah kind of like T.O. when he moved from the 49ers to Philly.

Didn't Philly make the SB T.O. 1st yr in Philly. We dont need somebody like that.

And no I dont want the Texans to sign T.O.
The main debate is really the asking price of Burress.

If he's this all-world guy who would help any team out there, then there's a reason he's not on one of those teams: Asking price.

Either that, or teams don't think he has the goods anymore.
Old 06-28-2012   #76
FR0497
Rookie

Rep Power: 269 FR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping they would have signed him last year. If he's not asking for an outrageous contract I think it would be good to give him a shot. This guy make some incredible catches last year for the Jets.
FR0497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't care what the situation is with Kubes foot. You will see several formations where there is only a halfback in the backfield. Arian & Ben aren't chopped liver in pass pro, they know their job.
That is not what I think you said. You indicated you wanted OD or Casey to be the FB. I don't like that as in many situations the defense will blitz and I don't want either of those having to pick up blitz. For that matter, until Matt is more certain I want a big old FB not a h-back blocking. Most of us agree Schaub being healthy is key to a deep playoff drive. Why put him at risk?
Old 06-28-2012   #78
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3782 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

if he is signed, would he replace Walter as the #2 wr or become the #3 slot receiver? I feel like the wr in the slot should be a speedy fast guy who can stretch the field of play.
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

If he's this all-world guy who would help any team out there, then there's a reason he's not on one of those teams: Asking price.
That's fine. The longer this plays out, the better for us.

Quote:
That is not what I think you said. You indicated you wanted OD or Casey to be the FB. I don't like that as in many situations the defense will blitz and I don't want either of those having to pick up blitz. For that matter, until Matt is more certain I want a big old FB not a h-back blocking. Most of us agree Schaub being healthy is key to a deep playoff drive. Why put him at risk?
first, wasn't me.

second, what he did say was that Casey/OD would line up as the FB, then motion out to the slot. This will almost guarantee that you'll take someone out of an 8 or 7 man front.

He went on to say that OD & Casey have both played from the FB position & I in particular have no apprehensions about them picking up the blitz anyway.
Old 06-28-2012   #80
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The main debate is really the asking price of Burress.

Either that, or teams don't think he has the goods anymore.
I would like to know who thinks he's an all world guy. I think at this point in his career most would agree that he's solid, with the potential of showing great flashes at certain times.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read