Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-27-2012   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plaxico Burress Rumored to be Considered by Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And nobody knows that his asking price is low all of a sudden. I thought that there was a vet minimum anyways, which means he's not going to be had for a few hundred thousand dollars like rookies are.
Vet minimum for him would be about $925k. If he signed for that he would be eligible for a vet exception on the cap which would make his cap hit half that.
Old 06-27-2012   #42
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Vet minimum for him would be about $925k. If he signed for that he would be eligible for a vet exception on the cap which would make his cap hit half that.
Even better. If Cheddar Bomb can contribute, I'd take a flyer on him.
Old 06-27-2012   #43
will742
Nukkkk

Rep Power: 102 will742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respectedwill742 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to will742

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Even better. If Cheddar Bomb can contribute, I'd take a flyer on him.
^ This. A much better option than MSW, IMO.
will742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
This is all assuming he will take vet min, if he won't I'd pass.
/Thread.

He won't' sign for vet minimum. Maybe he will next year, not this year.

Some team is going to panic in camp, and they'll pay him above vet minimum.
Old 06-27-2012   #45
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Plexi-glass? No thanks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO a true WR2 of his size is worth a couple million, I'd worry about needing cap for emergency when emergency occurs. WR2 is shakiest spot we have.
Old 06-27-2012   #47
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep in mind that his agent is Drew Rosenhaus.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, this much I know:

If any of us think Kubiak & Co. have NOT looked into adding Burress, either last year or as recently as today, we're fooling ourselves.

1. They've checked into it.

2. They aren't moving on Burress yet. Why?

3. He could be added today, tomorrow, next week, or even the days leading up to reg season. Who knows. Until then, 31 other teams are all discussing whether they need Burress or not....and none of them have signed him.

4. Perhaps he isn't signed yet because he is asking more than teams want to pay him? Maybe teams are waiting. Who knows.

So really this is a dead topic. Yeah, we've discussed it. Some say yes, some say no, others don't know. My only two cents into the discussion is that there has to be a financial reason why none of the 32 teams have this guy on their roster yet. Therefore, this whole idea that he'll take the vet minimum and we can handle that vet minimum amount...it's not a good argument, IMO.

To me, last year when he was throwing out the Texans name in every other comment he made to the media...he had that mindset that the Texans were an ATM...the place where guys like Ahman Green go to get royally rich. He signs with the Jets last year, and now he's not mentioning us NOW is he??? That tells me that he's priced himself out of contention here, and he knows it.

We'll never know if that's true, but if he was that pumped up about the prospects of playing here LAST year...then he would have signed with us already even if for only a 1-year deal. I think he's holding out for as much as he can get PLUS not having to report to a team and do all the team stuff (like sweating in the heat of OTAs!).

If he signs here, it will be because he came off his cloud and took less than he was asking. Or...Kubiak flinched first and felt he needed a vet because the rookies are testing his nerves with so much on the line this year.
Old 06-27-2012   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

An interesting recent radio interview:
Quote:
Plaxico Burress on Teamís Interest in Signing Him: ďItís been there but itís just getting to the right fit.Ē
June 19, 2012 Ė 11:10 am by Chris Fedor

After two years away from the game of football, Plaxico Burress hauled in 45 catches for 645 yards and scored eight touchdowns for the New York Jets last season. However this offseason, Burress has received little to no interest from NFL teams and remains a free agent looking for his next opportunity. While Burress clearly suffered from two seasons away from the game, the 34-year-old receiver showed last year in the Big Apple that he is still a red zone threat because of his size and he still has the ability to do some damage in the passing game in the right situation. When that opportunity presents itself is really anyoneís guess but it looks like the once Super Bowl hero may have to wait for an injury to a wide receiver in a teamís training camp to get his shot, despite his constant begging.

Plaxico Burress joined WFNZ in Charlotte with the Mac Attack to talk about how he feels, whether Carolina would be his preferred destination to play in 2012, why he thinks there has been no interest in him, if he will play with a chip on his shoulder in 2012 given how little interest he has received this offseason, if he thinks he will be better this year than he was last year and what he would say to the people that think he would disrupt the chemistry in a teamís locker room.

How he feels this offseason:

ďI feel great. Last year I was really just trying to get my legs under me from the two year layoff and I think people are going to be surprised by the shape Iím in. I got my spring back and Iím just waiting and I think everyone else will see for themselves.Ē

If Carolina is his preferred destination to play in 2012:

ďNo doubt about it. My brother lives right there in Charlotte, my cousin lives there in Charlotte and all my family is there in Columbia, South Carolina. It would just be a great situation all the way around and being close to everybody. Not just that but playing with Cam (Newton) who I think is one of the top five quarterbacks in all of football and as long as I can remember Steve Smith has been one of my favorites. I just think itís a great situation.Ē

Why he thinks there hasnít been a strong interest in him this offseason:

ďItís been there but itís just getting to the right fit. Iíve been around and I understand the game from a mental standpoint, Iím very knowledgeable about the guys out there that are playing. I know what they do well and what they donít do well and I just want to put myself in a position to go out and have success and to go out and make guys around me better. And obviously play with a quarterback who can really play the position. Itís about me picking my spots and seeing where Iím a good fit. You just look at a situation like Carolina and you canít come across a better situation than that. Playing with Steve Smith, who is a guy that demands a double team, you look at a guy like Greg Olsen getting up and down the seams and you put a guy like me on the back side and teams have trouble saying Ďwho are we going to cover? Who are we going to double?í Iíve been playing this game for a long time and it comes down to matchups. You put guys in one-on-one situations and guys win. Itís a place that I would love to come play and we will see what happens.Ē

Whether he will play with a chip on his shoulder this season towards the Panthers if they donít sign him:

ďNo itís not just directed at one team. When youíre a competitor, when youíre a football player, me I challenge myself to prove to myself that I can still go out and play this game at a high level which I know I can. I went out and scored eight touchdowns last year. Iím going to be better than that this year. Teams havenít seen me, what kind of shape Iím in, havenít seen me workout and all I keep doing is going and going, I have my legs back and everybody is going to be in for a pleasant surprise when I hit the football field this year.Ē

If he thinks he can play better than he did last season:

ďThereís no doubt about it. I did those things on the football field last year after being out of football for two years and I didnít have a preseason, I twisted my ankle the first day of camp, played three quarters of football going into the season after being out for two years and there I am starting on Sunday night playing football with four catches and a touchdown so I feel great. Iím just looking for the opportunity to get back on the field and show that I can still do it and do it at a high level.Ē

What he would say to the people that believe he would disrupt team chemistry:

ďWhen youíre talking about chemistry all I want to do is run up and down the field, catch footballs, score touchdowns, have fun and make an impact, go out and be consistent and help the guys around me. As far as people saying they donít want me to come there because Iím going to mess things up then everyone is entitled to their opinion. They do what they do for a living and I do what I do for a living. You can ask any of the guys Iíve ever played with about being a guy in the locker room that everybody likes and treated everybody the same, thatís who I am. For the people saying those things, maybe they donít know me and being their job and what they do, I donít know them.Ē
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, he just wants a job... and to get paid. I bet you could ask him about every single team out there and he'd be able to give you reasons why he'd be a good fit and why he'd like to be there.

I wouldn't hate having him here because I think he'd give us a better season than several of our young guys. I don't think he'd push KW out of the #2 spot.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #51
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i think we got good WR on our team alread Maybe Lestar Can blow up and i would just rather roll woth POsey and save some money LOL

POSey is prob better them him anywayz
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #52
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 92 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok. Number one. Hate his notorious rep. Number two. Love to have him here to add to WR depth. Number three. He is probably asking for more money than he deserves. He wont sign here because of the money.
D1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #53
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
/Thread.

He won't' sign for vet minimum. Maybe he will next year, not this year.

Some team is going to panic in camp, and they'll pay him above vet minimum.
How do you know what he's asking? The dude is 34 and had an average season on a team with an average QB. He really shouldn't garner more than vet min plus incentives.
Old 06-27-2012   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Could this be our vet? Had a restful couple of years in jail and still showed something last year with a pretty pitiful QB. I'm sure McNair would insist that his contract reads, "I promise not to carry a firearm, especially into a bar. But if I do, I promise to wear a bulletproof cup to protect my performance-based testosterone."
CnD...... this is Texas. Just make sure he keeps the safety on.

Old 06-27-2012   #55
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have wanted him for a vet minimum deal since before free agency started. He warrants coverage across from AJ, and that's really all we need.
The only thing that worries me, is that he's 35. At that age, you might have it one day, & not the next. If he comes into camp & can still run a 4.5 forty, I'd sign him. But what are the odds......
Quote:
He would help open up the run game and provide a big target for the QB. I believe he would be a great #3 or 4 WR that could help this team. Give him a chance and drop Dwight Jones off the roster if needed. He has been waiting long enough, I'm sure he will be cheap now.
a 3 or 4.. in this offense? He's not much good for Andre unless he's pushing Walter for playing time...... at #2. If he can't do that, I'd just as soon get the kids (Keshawn & DeVier) out there & let them compete for Walters job.
Old 06-27-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
IMO a true WR2 of his size is worth a couple million, I'd worry about needing cap for emergency when emergency occurs. WR2 is shakiest spot we have.
I agree with that. If Plax can be a true #2 WR for us, that would be like getting Jjo & D-Man all over again.

Heck I'd nominate Rick Smith for exec of the year.

But if we sign him & he ends up with 3-4 WR production...... I'd get the Pink Soap...
Old 06-27-2012   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He would help open up the run game and provide a
Hey my brother, I'm pretty sure the run game is not where we need help. Where need help is another deep threat receiver to take away from double and in times triple teams on Dre...

Is Plax that guy?? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure his persona as an "alpha dog" falls short of being second fiddle to Dre. Let's look inward to recent draft choices including Jeff Maehl (sp?) or Posey... Yes???
Old 06-27-2012   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
At this point, he just wants a job... and to get paid. I bet you could ask him about every single team out there and he'd be able to give you reasons why he'd be a good fit and why he'd like to be there.

I wouldn't hate having him here because I think he'd give us a better season than several of our young guys. I don't think he'd push KW out of the #2 spot.
Did KDub catch 8 TDs last season? 612 yards? 13 ypc?
Old 06-27-2012   #59
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Did KDub catch 8 TDs last season? 612 yards? 13 ypc?
TK... Completely different situations.. At the end of the day, YOU know that. Quit trying to make that comparison!!

Seriously, Plax would be (at best) a third option in this offense and every defense would know it.. That said, it might could open up things..... Highly unlikely though.
Old 06-27-2012   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
TK... Completely different situations.. At the end of the day, YOU know that. Quit trying to make that comparison!!

Seriously, Plax would be (at best) a third option in this offense and every defense would know it.. That said, it might could open up things..... Highly unlikely though.
The only reason he'd be third on this team, would be if the accusations about Kubiak are true & he goes with KDub for something other than a football reason. Granted Plax can play as well as he did last year.

Was KDub a better receiver than Plax in 2011?

I don't think so & I think we should have got Plax last season. Instead of hoping Jacoby would leap-frog Walter in a pinch.

We'd have been playing Baltimore @ home & Jj would have been running to mama instead of muffing punts.

KDub isn't fast, he isn't tall, doesn't have a knack for getting open. His only selling point is that he blocks as good as Jacoby does except much closer to the LOS.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read