Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2012   #221
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cleveland Browns Rumors: Talks for Houston Texans RB Ben Tate Surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If we need to sweeten the deal, I'd throw in Jacoby Jones since I think we'll be cutting him anyway.
And this is your idea of sweetening the deal?? To toss in a WR with suspect hands, questionable judgement, and decent return capability?
Did I mention the Browns already have the top returner in the AFC??
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #222
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cleveland Browns Rumors: Talks for Houston Texans RB Ben Tate Surface

I've read some posts on football forums that the Texans turned down the Browns #22 for Ben Tate offer.

They should've taken that if true.
Old 06-25-2012   #223
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

If he has another good year next year we should try to deal him if at all possible, because I highly doubt we'll be able to retain him after 2014 and we can at least hopefully get something for him in return.
Old 06-25-2012   #224
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I've read some posts on football forums that the Texans turned down the Browns #22 for Ben Tate offer.

Got any sources for that? All I had seen was #37 for him, which is kind of a wash for us. It would let us reallocate resources, but I don't like the idea of having nothing behind Foster. Plus, Foster's future is more important than getting another WR. A reliable RB like Tate is vital to extending Foster's career, which is the real reason Tate is so valuable to us. I think the Texans made the right choice.

I think once Cleveland knew that trade wasn't going to happen, they switched gears from Blackmon, Tannehill or Claiborne and went for Richardson. Peyton Hillis made that offense sort of work in 2011, and they need a bell-cow RB like TR or Tate to carry the load.
Old 06-25-2012   #225
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate is an NFL proven starting quality RB. #22 or #37 hasn't proven anything.

If Foster gets injured, w/out Tate we have no playoffs hope imo.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #226
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Got any sources for that? All I had seen was #37 for him, which is kind of a wash for us. It would let us reallocate resources, but I don't like the idea of having nothing behind Foster. Plus, Foster's future is more important than getting another WR. A reliable RB like Tate is vital to extending Foster's career, which is the real reason Tate is so valuable to us. I think the Texans made the right choice.

I think once Cleveland knew that trade wasn't going to happen, they switched gears from Blackmon, Tannehill or Claiborne and went for Richardson. Peyton Hillis made that offense sort of work in 2011, and they need a bell-cow RB like TR or Tate to carry the load.
I really like Tate and know his worth in our system but if we could have picked #22 DeCastro and still selected rest of our draft, I'd like that also. Problem is I cannot find a RB at any of the other picks. I really like Brooks and he and DeCastro would erase my Oline concerns.
Old 06-25-2012   #227
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I really like Tate and know his worth in our system but if we could have picked #22 DeCastro and still selected rest of our draft, I'd like that also. Problem is I cannot find a RB at any of the other picks. I really like Brooks and he and DeCastro would erase my Oline concerns.
Why? We have been playing with Wade Smith and Mike Brisiel the last two years at guard, neither were highly sought after when we got them. Smith isn't even all that good and is rather mediocre in pass protection. Brisiel was a nobody that the Texans turned into a good player. They can do it again, the system isn't really that dependent on guard play. I think it's relatively plug and play at those spots.

If we were redrafting with 22 and 26, I'd probably want Donta Hightower at 22, and Coby Fleener at 26. But like you said, I don't know where to get a RB in this draft given our picks. I suppose you could get Lamar Miller in the 3rd somewhere, or Cyrus Grey in the 5/6th if they moved around a little.
Old 06-25-2012   #228
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think maybe turning down the #22 IF true tells us about how FO evaluates Caldwell and Wade Smith.
Old 06-25-2012   #229
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Piss off with #22.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #230
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd have taken that 22 & tried to parlay it into a 2nd in the 2012 draft & a 1st in the 2013 draft.

Or even 2 2nds next year.

We're getting to the position where we need to be stockpiling picks, building the collateral we'll need if there is a player we want to move up for.

Time to start acting like the Patriots & really work the draft.
Old 06-25-2012   #231
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans could've gotten #22 I would've done this deal.

#22. Hill

Re-sign Ward
Pick Cyrus Gray in the 5-6th rd.

I doubt this trade was offered though
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #232
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

this obviously would have been before the start of the draft since the Browns traded up to insure that they got Richardson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...-all-the-moves

and would not have traded an additional 1st for a back-up RB.
Old 06-25-2012   #233
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
this obviously would have been before the start of the draft since the Browns traded up to insure that they got Richardson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...-all-the-moves

and would not have traded an additional 1st for a back-up RB.
Geez, someone actually put some thought into this.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #234
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would you entertain trading Ben Tate this year? This time next year, sure. He would be entering his final year of his contract. Right now, I like the offense that ran for (between Foster and Tate) 2,166 yards. Of that, 942 were from Tate which is pretty substantial for someone with very limited opportunities.

SO, keep him around now and entertain trade ideas this time next year... NOT now.
Old 06-25-2012   #235
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd have taken that 22 & tried to parlay it into a 2nd in the 2012 draft & a 1st in the 2013 draft.

We're getting to the position where we need to be stockpiling picks, building the collateral we'll need if there is a player we want to move up for.

I'm gonna disagree TK. We have picks next season with the comps, I wanted another first round selection now, especially if it was DeCastro who would start this season.
Old 06-25-2012   #236
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

It's going to be Foster/Tate that gets us to the Superbowl so Cleveland can go shove it.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #237
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry Re: Cleveland Browns Rumors: Talks for Houston Texans RB Ben Tate Surface

All this trade Tate crap.....makes no sence. He is your insurance policy if Foster is hurt. Forsett took Ward's place. You trade Tate away. I just dont think that is very sound.

I have said this before.....Foster and Tate make a good combo.....Foster the slasher....Tate the bruiser. They feed off each other. They both complement each other.

I just think it is a mistake to do trade him and am against it .........
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #238
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

I'm just commenting on the bolded, TK. I know you're meaning gathering the amount of picks they do, not who they've selected. But, I giggle every time I hear how good the Pats are in the draft. IMO, half the time when they're moving up and down the board they're missing on good players. When they do actually select someone they suck. Maybe winning the most number of picks in a draft is a win for BB, but if 75% of those picks suck then you've failed your team.

Patriots drafting = Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Why would you entertain trading Ben Tate this year? This time next year, sure. He would be entering his final year of his contract. Right now, I like the offense that ran for (between Foster and Tate) 2,166 yards. Of that, 942 were from Tate which is pretty substantial for someone with very limited opportunities.

SO, keep him around now and entertain trade ideas this time next year... NOT now.
Agreed! Heck, I'm not even sure I'd look at trading him then. We need both he and Arian, but I understand Tate will want to start and be paid like one.
Old 06-26-2012   #239
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I giggle every time I hear how good the Pats are in the draft. IMO, half the time when they're moving up and down the board they're missing on good players. When they do actually select someone they suck. Maybe winning the most number of picks in a draft is a win for BB, but if 75% of those picks suck then you've failed your team.

Patriots drafting = Suck
1st- I would not trade Tate right now.

2nd- In principle, I agree that Belichek gets too much credit now, because of how great he was (and the entire organization) for about a 5 year period between 2001 and 2006.

However, the Patriots have masterfully worked the draft. Though they have made plenty of personnel mistakes, they have been able to continually flood the team with young, inexpensive talent, thereby managing the cap so that they have now had an 11 year run of great success that looks to continue indefinitely. To be consistent Superbowl contenders and have won no less than 9 games in each of the past 11 or 12 seasons is a remarkable achievement in the salary cap era.... Remember, they went 11-5 without Brady (this isn't only about him). They are doing things that we will never see another organization accomplish under the salary cap system.
Old 06-26-2012   #240
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans ability to run the ball is key to passing game. Injury attrition @ RB position means you need at least three solid productive backs with another one stashed on practice squad. Tate's numbers will appear padded opposite Foster because of the system & wearing down opposing defenses. He will either get a nice bump in his contract here or be dealt for plus value, he does have the workhorse pedigree, displayed while playing @ Auburn.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read