Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2012   #381
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I think that they are two different animals.

Apples to oranges....

While continuity is key to both sides of the ball, it's much more key on the O-line. Those guys block in tandem and you all know the ZBS scheme is like a dance.
Guys can adjust pretty fast. It's not as detrimental as you might think. These guys play next to different guys all through camp and you kind of understand what the guy next to you is about.

Guys get injured, guys have to step in.

We pretty much let our RT and RG go this off-season and could have lost the center. We are going to be building chemistry regardless of who is out there.

I don't expect any regular season rotation, but I would not be surprised at all if there was some kind of rotation at one of the guard positions.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #382
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OTA thread

If you watch enough games, you can see that by the 4th quarter, just like the DL, some teams' OL will start wearing down/slowing down. This is why Kubiak puts such a premium on conditioning under adverse Houston heat and humidity conditions. As per a private discussion I had with Texans Chick, she pointed out that after practices, she would see Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing going off the field. Kubiak apparently, and maybe rightfully so, focused on Brooks' weight as the culprit for the exhibition of such poor conditioning. It is very possible that if Brooks would be sustaining a high level of conditioning during OTAs, the emphasis would probably be mostly focused on maintaining his weight rather than losing weight.

As has been pointed out, continuity of choreography is of major importance in our ZBS, and rotation of an O lineman would only be an option if the lineman would become injured, or would show deterioration of his performance at the end of a game...............a latter scenario that Kubiak has commendably made monumental efforts to prevent.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #383
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
And the timing among the oline doesn't matter? The entire ZBS relies on timing and sychronicity along the oline. Come on peeps
But if you have smooth rotation of depth with backup guys getting reps you would not lose continuity or timing. I think the ZBS would be a candidate for rotation due to the wear and tear on the Oline's legs. Look folks, I am not demanding or saying I know more than pros; just discussing a topic. "Just because others don't do it" has never ruled out something for me.
Old 06-22-2012   #384
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
But if you have smooth rotation of depth with backup guys getting reps you would not lose continuity or timing. I think the ZBS would be a candidate for rotation due to the wear and tear on the Oline's legs. Look folks, I am not demanding or saying I know more than pros; just discussing a topic. "Just because others don't do it" has never ruled out something for me.
I don't know if I'm understanding you right, but what kind of rotation are you talking about?

I can see maybe a two man rotation at a certain position, but if you're talking about much more than that I don't see that happening.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #385
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know if I'm understanding you right, but what kind of rotation are you talking about?

I can see maybe a two man rotation at a certain position, but if you're talking about much more than that I don't see that happening.
Brown comes out maybe 5-6 plays in a games (not same series), same for W Smith. Butler maybe a few more and RG maybe 60-40? Nothing deeper unlees it is a blow out and you want lower end of bench like the OT we just drafted to get some reps. I think last season would have been good example if Brown, Winston and Butler all heathy, I think Butler could get about 10-12 downs total for both LT &RT and maybe not every game.
Old 06-22-2012   #386
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I never said anything about others not doing it, nor do I care. I'm talking the importance of online working as 1, especially in the ZBS. I don't think anyone would realistically think an online could continue performing at it's highest level as 1 unit while rotating linemen in and out. Not only would it disrupt the continuity of the oline, it would decrease the effectiveness of the players that would be rotating. You can't just flip the adrenaline switch on and off when you want.
Old 06-22-2012   #387
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I never said anything about others not doing it, nor do I care. I'm talking the importance of online working as 1, especially in the ZBS. I don't think anyone would realistically think an online could continue performing at it's highest level as 1 unit while rotating linemen in and out. Not only would it disrupt the continuity of the oline, it would decrease the effectiveness of the players that would be rotating. You can't just flip the adrenaline switch on and off when you want.
You did not say others were not rotating but other posters have said that so I addressed it in my post rather than 2-3 others.You have your opinion on "working as 1" and I have mine. At some point during a game, fatigue (regardless of conditioning) & prior as well as new nagging injuries or getting the breath knock out of you can impact a starter greatly. Getting a play or two off would counter any "loss" of continuity.

A player like AJ or Duane Brown would do better to remain in all game if possible compared to a JJ or Butler. No player wants to come out but that is a coaching decision.
Old 06-24-2012   #388
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If you watch enough games, you can see that by the 4th quarter, just like the DL, some teams' OL will start wearing down/slowing down. This is why Kubiak puts such a premium on conditioning under adverse Houston heat and humidity conditions. As per a private discussion I had with Texans Chick, she pointed out that after practices, she would see Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing going off the field. Kubiak apparently, and maybe rightfully so, focused on Brooks' weight as the culprit for the exhibition of such poor conditioning. It is very possible that if Brooks would be sustaining a high level of conditioning during OTAs, the emphasis would probably be mostly focused on maintaining his weight rather than losing weight.

As has been pointed out, continuity of choreography is of major importance in our ZBS, and rotation of an O lineman would only be an option if the lineman would become injured, or would show deterioration of his performance at the end of a game...............a latter scenario that Kubiak has commendably made monumental efforts to prevent.
Just to clarify. Think there was a misunderstanding in our conversation.

I have never seen Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing to get off the field. Did see him throw up, have to leave the field and be attended to. Players leaving field for heat issues happens, not just to Brooks. The NFL takes heat issues seriously given heat can kill you.

Mentioned that I heard Fangupo huffing and puffing, sounding labored going from one field to the next one time. I am hoping that was just a conditioning issue post knee thing, and not a general problem with him.

Just don't want to leave the wrong impression.
Old 06-24-2012   #389
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181498 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Just to clarify. Think there was a misunderstanding in our conversation.

I have never seen Brandon Brooks huffing and puffing to get off the field. Did see him throw up, have to leave the field and be attended to. Players leaving field for heat issues happens, not just to Brooks. The NFL takes heat issues seriously given heat can kill you.

Mentioned that I heard Fangupo huffing and puffing, sounding labored going from one field to the next one time. I am hoping that was just a conditioning issue post knee thing, and not a general problem with him.

Just don't want to leave the wrong impression.
I must have misunderstood our little discussion. Glad you corrected me.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #390
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I must have misunderstood our little discussion. Glad you corrected me.
No problem. Sometimes off-season can be a little bit like playing telephone with some people seeing things, trying to convey what they see in an accurate way to other people who want information. Can be hard to be precise, correct, without leaving wrong impression.
Old 06-24-2012   #391
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Still, at almost 350 lbs, wouldn't Brooks be a little too big for the scheme the Texans run? Does he appear slower than the rest of our OL?
Old 06-24-2012   #392
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Still, at almost 350 lbs, wouldn't Brooks be a little too big for the scheme the Texans run? Does he appear slower than the rest of our OL?
That's kinda supposed to be the point Kubiak keeps making. This kid is that big and can still move as fast and as nimble as the rest of our line... if not more so.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #393
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I know they're are "certain body types" that meet a certain scheme but what if a big 325lb+ guy is athletic enough to handle this offense??? DO IT!!!! wHY NOT??
Old 06-24-2012   #394
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's kinda supposed to be the point Kubiak keeps making. This kid is that big and can still move as fast and as nimble as the rest of our line... if not more so.
IIRC, Chester Pitts was drafted at around 335 which is about where they want Brooks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read