Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-20-2012   #81
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Percy Harvin

Not likely the Vikings turn loose.

Quote:
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Awaiting Percy Harvin's next move
By Kevin Seifert

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- A whirlwind 24 hours ended Wednesday with the Minnesota Vikings uncertain when they'll next see their best receiver.

Will more playing time help keep star WR Percy Harvin happy in Minnesota?
Percy Harvin apparently bolted the Vikings' mandatory minicamp between the morning and afternoon practice sessions, and coach Leslie Frazier said he was not sure if Harvin would attend the final practice Thursday. The departure raised the stakes of a drama that seemed destined to peter out Wednesday morning after Harvin reported to the Vikings' practice, a day after telling reporters he is unhappy with multiple issues and then privately asking the Vikings for a trade.

Harvin was on the field but did not participate in the Wednesday morning session. After conducting the afternoon session with Harvin nowhere to be seen, Frazier wouldn't say whether the absence was excused. If it wasn't, Harvin could be subject to a $10,000 fine and then an additional $20,000 fine if he skips Thursday's session, according to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

"I don't want to get into it until we have a chance to have an extensive conversation," Frazier said, promising that conversation would occur before training camp.

It's early, and again from a historic perspective, these dramas tend to work themselves out more often than they cause extended absences from training camp. But Harvin has proved in three years to be a less-than-predictable personality, and there is no way to know for sure that his emotions will subside over the next month.

Earlier in the day, the Vikings seemed to lay out a set of organizational parameters. Among them:

*The team reiterated its commitment to increasing Harvin's playing time beyond the 58 percent of snaps he played last season. "Yes," offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave said. "Looking forward to it."

*There is almost no chance he will be traded. "We have no interest at all in trading Percy Harvin," general manager Rick Spielman said.

*He isn't likely to get a new contract, if he wants one, until next year. Harvin has two years remaining on his contract, and Spielman said: "We have a history of extending players going into the last year of their contract, and that's been our history."

Spielman pledged to "work out" whatever issues are contributing to Harvin's state of mind, a massage process that happens more often than you probably think inside NFL organizations. Team building is not just about collecting good players and finding quality coaches to guide them. It's about managing the inevitable detours created when you corral competitive and often volatile personalities in the structure of professional sports.

"It's part of the NFL," Spielman said. "There are always going to be some players where you have to deal with specific issues. You deal with them internally and get them resolved and move forward."

Harvin has demonstrated an extreme level of volatility in this instance. Trust me when I tell you that few, if any, members of the organization saw this coming before Tuesday. Before revealing it to a group of reporters Tuesday, Harvin had confided no significant displeasure to any authority figure associated with the team.

That means Harvin can turn off his displeasure as quickly as he turned it on. In some ways, the Vikings would be smart to wait for a bit and see if this blows over. If it doesn't, and Percy Harvin really is going to stay away from training camp until the Vikings trade him, we will be in for a long, long ride.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #82
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

He got the injury rap because he missed a game for headaches instead of an ankle or whatever. People remember that and consider him soft because of it.

He got the "turd" rep in college. To my knowledge hes had no off field incidents since hes been in the nfl (did I miss a headline?)

He's cheap and he has been an a very good wideout on a team with very bad quarterback play. He would instantly be one of the most electric threats on our team. I'd give up a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat. At least make a call R.S. to findout an asking price.
Old 06-20-2012   #83
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
He got the injury rap because he missed a game for headaches instead of an ankle or whatever. People remember that and consider him soft because of it.

He got the "turd" rep in college. To my knowledge hes had no off field incidents since hes been in the nfl (did I miss a headline?)

He's cheap and he has been an a very good wideout on a team with very bad quarterback play. He would instantly be one of the most electric threats on our team. I'd give up a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat. At least make a call R.S. to findout an asking price.
At the end of the day, this would only be a pipe dream for the folks like myself who would be for this. Rick Smith does not make big trades like this. He only wants to build through the draft with an occassional trade that usually involves low key players or picks. Harvin doesn't fit the "Ivy League" mentality that Mcnair typically wants on this team.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #84
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
At the end of the day, this would only be a pipe dream for the folks like myself who would be for this. Rick Smith does not make big trades like this. He only wants to build through the draft with an occassional trade that usually involves low key players or picks. Harvin doesn't fit the "Ivy League" mentality that Mcnair typically wants on this team.
While I agree with this post.

I'm pretty sure JJ,KJ and AJ for that matter weren't recruited by Ivy League schools.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #85
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
A headcase that scores touchdowns in a variety of ways.

Has Harvin ever failed a drug test?

Is he in the NFL's substance abuse program?

If not there's nothing to worry about.
WAIT!!! What???!?!!?

Doc, i'm thinking a little prescription for a) xxx
b)xxx
And finally c)xxx
Old 06-20-2012   #86
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He got the "turd" rep in college.
His track record is a little more extensive than that. He was twice suspended on his HS football team and then got into a fight in a basketball game which resulted in his being banned from further HS athletics his senior year. Then there is the college stuff (plus having had multiple injuries or ailments every year - some of it non-football related like the migraines such as a sinus infection which kept him out of two games) and testing positive for pot at the combine.
Old 06-20-2012   #87
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...............It lessens the pain and bleeding during my rhinoplasties (nasal surgeries)...........thank the Lord for my cocaine............
Can you give me consultation about the possible benefits of rhinoplasties? LOL
Old 06-20-2012   #88
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
WAIT!!! What???!?!!?

Doc, i'm thinking a little prescription for a) xxx
b)xxx
And finally c)xxx
MSR

Very funny stuff.
Old 06-20-2012   #89
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree with this post.

I'm pretty sure JJ,KJ and AJ for that matter weren't recruited by Ivy League schools.
Those were all draft picks other than JJ. Not exactly recruits, but I was being sarcastic any way Steel.
Old 06-20-2012   #90
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
His track record is a little more extensive than that. He was twice suspended on his HS football team and then got into a fight in a basketball game which resulted in his being banned from further HS athletics his senior year. Then there is the college stuff (plus having had multiple injuries or ailments every year - some of it non-football related like the migraines such as a sinus infection which kept him out of two games) and testing positive for pot at the combine.
Maybe Harvins broken the cycle. (Grown up) He hasn't had any discipline problems in the NFL.

We're talking about the 32nd pick here, not a top 10 pick. The 32nd pick stands a greater chance of busting than Harvin who hasn't gotten in trouble in his 3 yrs in the NFL does. IMHO

Speaking of top 10 picks, what's OkOye up to these days Rick?
Old 06-20-2012   #91
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dudes been out of highschool for quite a while now, and as I said, i'm not aware of any issues in the nfl. Dont get me wrong, im not gonna tell anyone he's a choirboy. But hes got loads more talent then any wr we have not named andre. Instant upgrade. Unfortunately, I understand the Texans brass is far to conservative to make this kinda move. Thats a shame cause with decent qb play he might make a probowl or 2.

The texans have always built around the draft to get young cheap players...Harvin is still both.
Old 06-20-2012   #92
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Hadn't heard of those HS incidents. You're right that it's a full fledge pattern alright. Character concerns are a little more extensive than I previously gauged. I understand the pessimism on his potential contributions to this team when all of that is considered.

I'd give up maybe a 2nd rounder for Harvin though. Mainly because the Texans should be in a win now mode. Put another strong receiving threat on this offense with a healthy Schaub come playoff time, and that's pretty dangerous to face when our defense will be holding teams to low scores. We could probably hold Harvin for about 3 yrs and get some good production out of him while his legs are still really good. He'd be a really nice weapon to utilize all through the middle of the field with all of our other options commanding attention. If AJ goes down again, we're looking at Walter and a bunch of rookies and inexperienced young guys that are still drying to develop as our WR core. There is a good chance that Yates could be throwing to those young guys to if that were to happen.
Old 06-20-2012   #93
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I was merely filling in some background material. I do think it is enough to eliminate the discussion of 1st or 2nd round picks if the Vikings would even trade.
Old 06-20-2012   #94
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was merely filling in some background material. I do think it is enough to eliminate the discussion of 1st or 2nd round picks if the Vikings would even trade.
Was good info I didnt know about. Our 2nd round pick should be late(!)...Harvin would be a #1 wideout on most teams. Id make the trade and not look back.
Old 06-21-2012   #95
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Was good info I didnt know about. Our 2nd round pick should be late(!)...Harvin would be a #1 wideout on most teams. Id make the trade and not look back.
I wouldn't classify him as that. He isn't a true #1 to me. He is more of a guy who could really fit well on a team that has a true #1 wideout that commands a lot of attention. Harvin can get open in small spaces and get nice yards after the catch. I don't see him ever being a guy that could carry your receiving core. That's why I said earlier that the Texans, Saints, Lions, and Packers would all be very nice fits for him.
Old 06-21-2012   #96
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wouldn't classify him as that. He isn't a true #1 to me. He is more of a guy who could really fit well on a team that has a true #1 wideout that commands a lot of attention. Harvin can get open in small spaces and get nice yards after the catch. I don't see him ever being a guy that could carry your receiving core. That's why I said earlier that the Texans, Saints, Lions, and Packers would all be very nice fits for him.
87 receptions last year 6 tds
354 rushing yards
caught 73% of passes thrown his way (outstanding rate)
Legit return man
threat to score from anywhere on the field
cheap
young

He did it with a rookie qb. You should think of him as a #1 because he IS.
Old 06-21-2012   #97
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
GP, unless you're completely drug free which includes alcohol, I don't think you are in any position to bash the idea of why someone wants or needs to smoke weed in some form. It's less dangerous than drugs like alcohol and tobacco which rake in Billions every year and does help many people deal with chronic illnesses and pain. It's not just some excuse that everyone uses just so they can catch a buzz. The only reason why it's illegal from the NFL's perspective is because it's illegal in the majority of states and cities in this country which is a pretty big government interference on people's casual lives. It's really not that different than if the government decided that salt was illegal due to the sodium in it or something. How long would it take for the NFL to ban players from eating food with salt after that since it's illegal? I don't think that fighting the idea of weed smoke or hemp products is a fair battle here.

I do understand where you're coming from as far as the suspension issues though if he were to get caught with a dirty urine test again. That does have to be considered. However, waving off any criticism for the NFL for it's practices that mimic the government's abuse of authority is not a productive idea to support.
Well, we can't use examples of how this relates to "what if salt is made to be illegal???" because what we have NOW is that WEED is illegal in the NFL right here and now. Let's save the "what if" for another day.

Seriously, the debate should end right there...unless this (once again) gets made into me being a Just Say Nope To Dope all-the-time-every-day-in-every-way sort of guy. Which I'm not. Although I don't use, I don't give a rip if others do.

Again, I could care less if people feel the need for WEED. I don't want my Texans to smoke it...I don't want them getting busted and getting Roger Goodell on their asses for it. Roger don't play. He is mean about substance problems, and right here and now the NFL is saying players better say Nope To Dope.

However, if things don't go well in November...I might be in the market for some grass. Now this thread is going to completely derail. My bad. LOL.
Old 06-21-2012   #98
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, we can't use examples of how this relates to "what if salt is made to be illegal???" because what we have NOW is that WEED is illegal in the NFL right here and now. Let's save the "what if" for another day.

Seriously, the debate should end right there...unless this (once again) gets made into me being a Just Say Nope To Dope all-the-time-every-day-in-every-way sort of guy. Which I'm not. Although I don't use, I don't give a rip if others do.

Again, I could care less if people feel the need for WEED. I don't want my Texans to smoke it...I don't want them getting busted and getting Roger Goodell on their asses for it. Roger don't play. He is mean about substance problems, and right here and now the NFL is saying players better say Nope To Dope.

However, if things don't go well in November...I might be in the market for some grass. Now this thread is going to completely derail. My bad. LOL.
You seem to totally miss the point.

It isn't illegal.

If you play by the rules, have the right requirements, and get the proper permissions, it's totally legal to smoke pot.

You won't get busted. Goodell can come to your house and you can toke up in front of him and he won't get in your ass because he's already given permission.

It's exactly the same thing as Hartmann taking Ritalin. As long as he gets permission to take it, he's fine. If he doesn't get permission, if he doesn't follow the rules, then he gets suspended.

If pot is medically prescribed and you notify the NFL that it's been prescribed, you can smoke it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #99
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

WRs and QBs win championships in the modern NFL, so I would be all for it. Look at all the outside weapons the last three champs have had.

The Texans have an awesome young defense and a bell-cow RB, but the WRs are an aging AJ, a mediocre KW, and a few unknowns like Posey.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #100
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There could be a legal alternative for situations like Harvin's available in the future.
Quote:
Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.

"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.

"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.

According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.

Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.
Well, that sure takes the fun outta getting well, now doesn't it?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read