Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-20-2012   #61
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Percy Harvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just responding to this part.

That's not neccesarily true. I don't think he's missed any time due to failed drug tests and if a person has problems with migraines they will likely try whatever works.

I've read stuff that says mary jane is an immediate remedy.

I don't know how you can make a statement like that....We really don't know..
I can make a statement that smoking WEED (I like to capitalize it because it needs to be capitalized. It's not Tylenol. It's WEED) is bad for a player who is going to be tested in the NFL.

We gripe all.the.time about how "Players should know what's on the PED list, how could he get popped for this...how could he get popped for that." Why not sit here and say that any player we acquire who might be smoking WEED might get busted and draw a lengthy suspension, which means he's doing us no good by sitting out games we needed him for???????????

I don't think it's out of line. I think what IS out of line is how WEED is suddenly the en vogue wonder treatment. It seems to be the answer to everything. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, GP. You're making the assumption that the migraines are an excuse to smoke pot. IF he really has migraines and if they're as bad as has been reported, then I'm not going to hold his pot smoking against him because it's like taking any other painkiller to stop the pain.

Sorry, Rey. I piggybacked you.
You ought to hold his pot smoking against him if he's on your team and gets popped and then has to sit out games because of suspension.

Damn straight you should hold his pot smoking against him. If he's not on our team? Then that's awesome...I hope he smokes until it oozes out of his pores and he serves a suspension with any other of the 31 teams out there.

But if he's on MY team and he smokes, no way Jose. I say nope to dope in that scenario. No risk-taking if I'm an owner and it's an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Pot smoking is against the rules in the NFL whether he has migraines or not... it's not like the league is going to say "oh you have migraines, we're sorry... toke up". They'll suspend him just the same.

And I don't hold his pot smoking against him either, I think it should be legal and if they (my employers) allowed me to toke up, I would... but I can't, because they don't allow me to and it's illegal.
I guess I'm really amazed at the level of acceptance toward WEED. It's almost like people find it as a badge of honor or something. I totally don't understand the culture of it. And never will, I suppose. And I'm not willing to try it in order to attempt an understanding of it, either.

My main emphasis, if not my ONLY emphasis is that doing WEED is bad because it's still considered to be a no-no by employers, especially NFL employers. For that reason--since my only true sports love is NFL football--I don't want the Texans doing WEED. We wouldn't want a player doing roids in the off-season and risking not cycling off in time...we wouldn't want a player to light up a fatty and get busted (whether he's tested or busted by a cop, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Ha, maybe you should have made your comments about it more along those lines, because they weren't! Your original comment/analogy was no where in the ball park of the comments quoted above...no where.. (EDIT: actually, reading it again, i can see where you would be going down that line...was just kind of incomplete i guess..)

And i do agree that it's possible he's just a smoker period... And it's a huge risk paying for a player you know for sure can get popped, whether you agree with what that player is doing and why or not...
No, I shouldn't have to micro-manage every single thing I say. In fact, in your quote (above) you even state that in re-reading what I said you can see what I meant.

What I think is really going on is that there's a contingency of smokers here who are sympathetic to the issue to the point that the issue can't be debated within any confines.

It won't matter how many times I say that I only care about this issue as it affects MY favorite team, nah...all that gets read is that GP says nope to dope for everyone. I'm infringing on people's civil liberties or something...when all I said was that we don't need a smoker on our team if he's using to medically treat a health issue. Ricky Williams had to go find himself in a sweaty tent all over the world, he retired from football too...we don't need smokers, and I'd hope this team would seriously consider that when acquiring players.

Am I naive enough to think our guys aren't smoking? No. I'm saying if we have prior knowledge of a smoker out there whom we are targeting, why go after him and spend the money, the draft pick(s), and risk him getting popped in the future? Seems too risky to me.
Old 06-20-2012   #62
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
As Kevin Seifert wrote on ESPN.com, Vikings GM Rick Spielman said today his team has "no interest at all" in trading Percy Harvin. Carry on.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #63
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

And although I didn't quote him...what CnD posted is so freaking true.

If WEED is medicinal, then let's do the weed that doesn't get us high. Let's see the amount of orders that are placed for weed rather than WEED.

Old 06-20-2012   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pot smoking is against the rules in the NFL whether he has migraines or not... it's not like the league is going to say "oh you have migraines, we're sorry... toke up". They'll suspend him just the same.

And I don't hold his pot smoking against him either, I think it should be legal and if they (my employers) allowed me to toke up, I would... but I can't, because they don't allow me to and it's illegal.
Like Cak said, the NFL grants exemptions in certain cases. While Harvin may not be able to toke up in Minnesota, he spends plenty of time in other states and if he wants, he could request an exemption so he could toke up while he was in a state that allowed it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Like Cak said, the NFL grants exemptions in certain cases. While Harvin may not be able to toke up in Minnesota, he spends plenty of time in other states and if he wants, he could request an exemption so he could toke up while he was in a state that allowed it.
Would he be able to in Texas? Or would he need to vacation somewhere.

Maybe that non-high weed will get released and it will solve that problem for lots of players who need the weed for medicinal purposes. That'd be a good thing.
Old 06-20-2012   #66
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Discussion for another day or another forum but isn't that basically an admission pot has useful properties and the only reason it is being regulated is because people also receive pleasure?
I also don't want to get into any deep discussion of legalities of this substance. The Israeli research was strictly in the context of true medicinal use.........treating medical conditions. But the marijuana concern is far from only giving "pleasure." Notwithstanding the concerns over immediate altered cognitive effects, it extends to health concerns of long-term use as it relates to various parts of the body, immunity, cancer and brain anatomy and function.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Would he be able to in Texas? Or would he need to vacation somewhere.
Not legal in Texas. There are 17 states where it's legal. He'd need to go to Arizona, one of the California teams, Detroit, Denver, or one of the New Jersey teams.

Or he'd have to commute in from another state to wherever his team is, which is what I assume he's doing with the Vikings.

Quote:
Maybe that non-high weed will get released and it will solve that problem for lots of players who need the weed for medicinal purposes. That'd be a good thing.
They've created drugs based on medicinal marijuana but it takes about an hour to take effect as opposed to a few minutes with the regular weed. Weed also has a whole array of chemicals with possible medicinal side-effects while the drugs only contain 1. So the weed may be more beneficial for them than just taking the synthesized drug.

But I'd like to point out that most drugs that actually do something to help with pain or discomfort will get you high.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol or do recreational drugs. If I was in pain, I wouldn't be looking at medical marijuana as a chance to do drugs legally, I'd be looking at it as a way to reduce pain. I think you're concentrating too much on the getting high part and not enough of the pain alleviation part.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #68
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Well that kind of flies in the face of everything you said prior to this statement.

He has all these problems, but they'd be nuts to trade him?

Seems like they should have been actively trying to replace him for a while now....

They likely won't trade him because he's a good player.
Yeah, I"m with you on this one.

Kind of surprised at all of these comments where folks are acting like Harvin is some sort of Chad Jonhnson/Roy Williams type of guy who can't produce or is a team cancer.

You look at the current offense for the Texans and Harvin would be a great fit in my mind. He could go all over the middle of the field and make a ton of plays helping the TE's to get open or to free up AJ fairly easily. Either that, or the TE's would have to be heavily guarded while a guy like Harvin could do a lot of damage. He is a different type of WR than what AJ is for sure, but his skill set is a very good one for this offense that could make it really dynamic. I'd love to make a trade like this.

I'll admit that Harvin has had a few issues, but mainly minor. His attitude isn't great, but it's not horrible either like a lot of other diva WR's around the league. His injury issues are slightly concerning, but only slightly and that is mainly because of his size. He isn't the toughest guy in the world. But overall he'd be a great piece for this offense to really take that extra step to free up so many other guys. We really need another offensive play maker as a receiving threat right now, and I think that Harvin's skill set make him totally worth the risk. People always act like one draft pick is going to ruin your entire draft for some reason. They tend to forget how many 1-3 rounders don't ever amount to anything and end up being wasted picks any way. Apparently people forgot the wildcard piece that Harvin was when Favre and Sidney Rice were both there.

I also think that the Vikings would be wise to trade him if they can get good compensation. His skill set doesn't make their offense that explosive without the other options on the team. Harvin is more of a great piece to have when other pieces are around him sort of like Welker. He isn't that valuable to the Vikings team in their current condition. He would be to the Texans or a team like the Saints though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnes...-program-drugs

Yeah, I don't want the guy on my team and I certainly wouldn't give up any assets to get him here either. I'd rather roll with the players that we have, especially since he's a glorified slot receiver. The fact that he's already acting like a brat and demanding trades just highlights his crappy attitude. No thanks.
There's a reason Meyer included him in the teams inner circle. He helped him win a NC. I would take a team full of Harvins if they helped the Texans win a SB.

Check out Dutchs posts and tell me if the $$$$ are reasonable? Is the talent there to be a true difference maker? Would he be an upgrade.

I can believe that some posters would hate him because of his college weed smoking. (Most kids do) The fact that Meyer took Harvin into his inner circle tells me Meyer believed Harvins side of the story over the assistant coaches side. Look, kids do stupid stuff in college. How long are the MB morality gods going to hold things against these kids?

Harvin has been a disciplinary problem in his 3 yrs with the Vikings. The fact that some MB members would rather roll with Walter and 3 rookies (including Jean) that have never played a down of regular season football. Instead of a guy like Harvin who has more playoff experience than any WR on the Texans and caught 80 balls last yr befuddles me. But hey, winning is the most important thing to me for the team I root for, I care about production over character.

BTW, Gary appears to be unhappy with the rookies performance at the OTA's.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #70
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Ha, maybe you should have made your comments about it more along those lines, because they weren't! Your original comment/analogy was no where in the ball park of the comments quoted above...no where.. (EDIT: actually, reading it again, i can see where you would be going down that line...was just kind of incomplete i guess..)

And i do agree that it's possible he's just a smoker period... And it's a huge risk paying for a player you know for sure can get popped, whether you agree with what that player is doing and why or not...
A huge risk?

Does this mean that we may miss out on another.

2nd-3rd rd draft pick, Posey/JJ/Harris/Slaton etc.... heck lets include KJ in the discussion. I can be fairly certian that Harvin is a better player than anybody Rick/Gary can draft at 32 especially given their track record of drafting WR's. I think Wade probably could find a guy as good at 32. LOL

Such a huge risk for a proven producer. LOL
Old 06-20-2012   #71
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And although I didn't quote him...what CnD posted is so freaking true.

If WEED is medicinal, then let's do the weed that doesn't get us high. Let's see the amount of orders that are placed for weed rather than WEED.

GP, unless you're completely drug free which includes alcohol, I don't think you are in any position to bash the idea of why someone wants or needs to smoke weed in some form. It's less dangerous than drugs like alcohol and tobacco which rake in Billions every year and does help many people deal with chronic illnesses and pain. It's not just some excuse that everyone uses just so they can catch a buzz. The only reason why it's illegal from the NFL's perspective is because it's illegal in the majority of states and cities in this country which is a pretty big government interference on people's casual lives. It's really not that different than if the government decided that salt was illegal due to the sodium in it or something. How long would it take for the NFL to ban players from eating food with salt after that since it's illegal? I don't think that fighting the idea of weed smoke or hemp products is a fair battle here.

I do understand where you're coming from as far as the suspension issues though if he were to get caught with a dirty urine test again. That does have to be considered. However, waving off any criticism for the NFL for it's practices that mimic the government's abuse of authority is not a productive idea to support.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #72
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's out of line. I think what IS out of line is how WEED is suddenly the en vogue wonder treatment. It seems to be the answer to everything. LOL.
LOL, ummm no. We are sitting at what appears to be nearing the end of a prohibitionist era which is a blink of an eye in pot's use in medicine.

Not going to give you a slew of examples but well over 3000 years ago the Chinese considered pot one of their 50 fundamental medicines. Likewise their are medical records in Egypt dating back 3500 years. Ancient Greece was in on the party as well. Flash forward to here in good ol' USA in 1937:

The first prohibitions on pot didn't start until the 1920's.
Old 06-20-2012   #73
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL, ummm no. We are sitting at what appears to be nearing the end of a prohibitionist era which is a blink of an eye in pot's use in medicine.

Not going to give you a slew of examples but well over 3000 years ago the Chinese considered pot one of their 50 fundamental medicines. Likewise their are medical records in Egypt dating back 3500 years. Ancient Greece was in on the party as well. Flash forward to here in good ol' USA in 1937:

The first prohibitions on pot didn't start until the 1920's.
Those ancient folks were way hipper than we are. Pot, Orgies, Opium and barfatoriums... Straight up hipster decadence... I think society has devolved.
Old 06-20-2012   #74
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude's immature as hell. Forget it. Headcase.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #75
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There could be a legal alternative for situations like Harvin's available in the future.
Well, that sure takes the fun out of things. LOL
Old 06-20-2012   #76
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Discussion for another day or another forum but isn't that basically an admission pot has useful properties and the only reason it is being regulated is because people also receive pleasure?
You are correct sir.

There goes some of the illegal profit those in power make off of keeping it illegal.

Sorry didn't mean to derail this thread.
Old 06-20-2012   #77
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Well, that sure takes the fun out of things. LOL

Who am I to criticize. After all, I routinely use cocaine.
Old 06-20-2012   #78
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Dude's immature as hell. Forget it. Headcase.
A headcase that scores touchdowns in a variety of ways.

Has Harvin ever failed a drug test?

Is he in the NFL's substance abuse program?

If not there's nothing to worry about.
Old 06-20-2012   #79
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

...................when I'm in surgery............makes surgery easier and more...........enjoyable.
Old 06-20-2012   #80
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

...............It lessens the pain and bleeding during my rhinoplasties (nasal surgeries)...........thank the Lord for my cocaine............

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read