Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-20-2012   #41
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Percy Harvin

He's in the conversation as best slot receiver...

But he wants mo' money and we don't have it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #42
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It certainly depends on the asking price, but his production, despite what some may say, it stellar for a #2 WR. He's everything Jacoby Jones wasn't. Check out his stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/percyharvin/80425/careerstats

He's obviously a very capable #2 WR, even if Christian Ponder is throwing to him, and he's getting better every year in every category. I love seeing that in any player, steady increases in production show lots of potential. He adds another dimension to any team's run-game due to his speed and ability to turn the corner. His return capability is awesome, he only had 16 returns last year, but still averaged 32.5 ypa. He would be a welcome addition to this team, and I would gladly send one of the rookie WRs and a 3rd in return for him. Or send Lestar Jean if they think highly of him. I don't care, he's better than every WR on this team aside from AJ. Too bad we couldn't have traded Eric Winston for him before the cut deadline. That would have been a nice swap.

Edit: one other thing to consider is that if he is looking for more money, any extension salary he gets now will not hit the cap until 2014 when his rookie deal is finished. He's under contract for 2012 and 2013 for a meager amount. The team could prorate a signing bonus to earlier years as part of spreading it out, but his new salary will not have any impact until 2014. That gives us a lot of flexibility.
Old 06-20-2012   #43
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, according ot an NFL.com article:

Quote:
Should Harvin maximize the remaining escalation available, he'll have a base salary of $3,343,750 in 2013 that would bring his earnings (base salary plus workout bonuses) over these next two seasons to $4,313,750. That's still a bargain for the Vikings, who have been reluctant to pay Harvin given their concerns over his ability to remain healthy. If Harvin reports on time and produces at a high level, the team may be inclined to rework his contract next offseason.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...vikings-salary

The article explains all the contract escalators, but the bottom line is that over the next two seasons, he will cost AT LEAST 4.3 million. He's worth every penny and more.
Old 06-20-2012   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Only on TexansTalk can I have my words used against me on such a regular basis. LOL.

Look, apparently WEED cures everything. My comments were not meant to say migraines do not hurt. DUH. They hurt like hell. I've had only one in my lifetime, and it made me sick to my stomach, I had to be in complete darkness, and I wanted to do anything to make it stop.

My comments were along the lines that somebody who smokes WEED for migraines most likely smoked WEED before they had migraines and will still smoke WEED after migraines are gone or subside. So why take on a guy who might get popped by the NFL's testing policy??? And for all those on here who smoke weed, don't get your undies in a bunch because I honestly could care less if you light up every five minutes...I care when it's one of MY Texans players lighting up (who then might get caught and suspended). So let's see how these words get twisted, I'm sure it will be attempted.

It doesn't simply matter if we have the funds or the cap capacity to make it work. His whole body of work, which includes more than just on-the-field stuff, will be scrutinized. A great #2 WR isn't worth it if he's always in a mood, or smoking weed for migraines, or wanting a bigger deal somewhere else.

What world do we live in where a guy like Percy Harvin is going to want to come play for the Texans for small money? Not gonna' happen, and the reasons are many.
Old 06-20-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

And if there was some miraculous way that we could obtain Percy Harvin...if the powers-that-be had a way of knowing that Harvin would be a great WR for many years to come here...then I'd be fine with a 2nd round pick.

1st round is too expensive, IMO. He's a #2 WR, not a #1.

I still think this team's offense is predicated around a #1 WR like AJ, then we've got the TEs who see a lot of looks on every pass play, with a #2 WR who is a possession-type WR you go to when you need that 5-yard curl route or quick slant to move the chains.

So I don't think we "need" a guy like Harvin. Kubiak is counting on his own draft picks, guys like Martin and Posey, to be the future #2 WR. Cheaper, younger, and hand-picked by Kubiak.

(Waiting for heads to explode because I dared say we don't "need" Harvin).
Old 06-20-2012   #46
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
And if there was some miraculous way that we could obtain Percy Harvin...if the powers-that-be had a way of knowing that Harvin would be a great WR for many years to come here...then I'd be fine with a 2nd round pick.

I still think this team's offense is predicated around a #1 WR like AJ, then we've got the TEs who see a lot of looks on every pass play, with a #2 WR who is a possession-type WR you go to when you need that 5-yard curl route or quick slant to move the chains.

So I don't think we "need" a guy like Harvin. Kubiak is counting on his own draft picks, guys like Martin and Posey, to be the future #2 WR. Cheaper, younger, and hand-picked by Kubiak.

I don't think we need him either, but he would be great to have.

For comparison's sake, Brandon Marshall was traded from the Dolphins to the Bears for two 3rd round picks. Marshall is a bonafide #1 WR with a lot of attitude issues surrounding him. He had a huge contract too, but he puts up great stats and still didn't fetch a 1st. I think Harvin's value is around there, two 3rds or a 3rd and a player.

The question is, if we were to make the trade, who can we part with that would help the Vikings? Kevin Walter? A rookie WR or Olineman? I dunno, but it's fun to kick around.
Old 06-20-2012   #47
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't believe people would turn their nose up on a guy who would complete our offense. Seriously, this is the missing component and for 2 years paying 2.5 mil? We can worry about cap in 2 years IF we sign him. (in my opinion, these next 2-4 years are our best chance to win a superbowl so I take that chance).

Price would not be anymore than a 2nd (receivers don't command that much in the market ex: Marshall, Boldin, etc). I'd package a 3rd/4th (he is better than anyone will we get at that spot) and give them Posey or Martin.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #48
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

WHAT?!?!?! What do you mean we don't NEED Harvin. How dare you!?
Old 06-20-2012   #49
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Right when I saw that he requested the trade I wanted him.
Old 06-20-2012   #50
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Where did you get this info?

Harvin may mot be a complete player. (If he was he wouldn't be available in trade. If he is available.) However he would be the best WR2/PR/KR in team history. There is this other little thingy. (He scores alot of TD's on a bad offense)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Hasn't he missed less time than Andre (not at all knocking on 'Dre) and when has he been a "cancer"? Has he pulled some TO antics or something? I don't remember hearing that. He's not squeaky clean *gasp* but still, if the price is right, I would want to look into it.
Quote:
Amongst those heavily mentioned in the article was Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin, who played for Meyer at Florida from 2006-2008:

It was Harvin, more than anyone, who epitomized the climate Meyer created. While former players say Harvin always was treated differently as a member of Meyer’s Circle of Trust, it was the beginning of his sophomore season—after he helped lead the Gators to the 2006 national title—that it became blatant. That's also when it began to contribute negatively toward team chemistry.

At one point during Harvin's time at Florida, he apparently refused to do conditioning drills with the rest of the team and was involved in an altercation with wide receiver's coach Billy Gonzalez, during which Harvin took Gonzalez by the neck and tossed him to the ground.

Harvin was supposedly never disciplined for those actions. When Harvin missed a game in 2008 due to an allegedly failed drug test, Meyer explained it away as an injury, arguably 'creating a divide between the haves and have-nots on the team.'
http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnes...-program-drugs

Yeah, I don't want the guy on my team and I certainly wouldn't give up any assets to get him here either. I'd rather roll with the players that we have, especially since he's a glorified slot receiver. The fact that he's already acting like a brat and demanding trades just highlights his crappy attitude. No thanks.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #51
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My comments were along the lines that somebody who smokes WEED for migraines most likely smoked WEED before they had migraines and will still smoke WEED after migraines are gone or subside.
Just responding to this part.

That's not neccesarily true. I don't think he's missed any time due to failed drug tests and if a person has problems with migraines they will likely try whatever works.

I've read stuff that says mary jane is an immediate remedy.

I don't know how you can make a statement like that....We really don't know..
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just responding to this part.

That's not neccesarily true. I don't think he's missed any time due to failed drug tests and if a person has problems with migraines they will likely try whatever works.

I've read stuff that says mary jane is an immediate remedy.

I don't know how you can make a statement like that....We really don't know..
Yeah, GP. You're making the assumption that the migraines are an excuse to smoke pot. IF he really has migraines and if they're as bad as has been reported, then I'm not going to hold his pot smoking against him because it's like taking any other painkiller to stop the pain.

Sorry, Rey. I piggybacked you.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #53
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, GP. You're making the assumption that the migraines are an excuse to smoke pot. IF he really has migraines and if they're as bad as has been reported, then I'm not going to hold his pot smoking against him because it's like taking any other painkiller to stop the pain.

Piggybacking some more!

I used to get migraines to the point where I was hospitalized for them. I was young (and luckily have mostly grown out of getting them consistently it seems), but if I was still getting them consistently I would not rule anything out to help me deal with them in a different manner. The only way I was dealing with them was losing essentially a week at a time lying in bed on 4 or 5 different drugs. And that was zero fun.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #54
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Pot smoking is against the rules in the NFL whether he has migraines or not... it's not like the league is going to say "oh you have migraines, we're sorry... toke up". They'll suspend him just the same.

And I don't hold his pot smoking against him either, I think it should be legal and if they (my employers) allowed me to toke up, I would... but I can't, because they don't allow me to and it's illegal.
Old 06-20-2012   #55
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
When your wife goes, "Oh, I have a migraine" but she's still watching lifetime television, that is very suspect.
Especially if you're looking for a little nookie.
Old 06-20-2012   #56
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Pot smoking is against the rules in the NFL whether he has migraines or not... it's not like the league is going to say "oh you have migraines, we're sorry... toke up". They'll suspend him just the same.
I don't know if they have ever done it with pot but the NFL does grant exceptions for banned substances where they are prescribed as necessary for medical treatment by a Doc. That doesn't apply in this conversation because neither Minnesota or Texas has a medical marijuana statute. But for instance the most hated substance of all steroids have been approved a bunch of times - but you darn well better get it approved before taking it.
Old 06-20-2012   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
You just described every player in the NFL...mario williams, brian cushing, arian foster, matt schaub (who was already banged up before going out), TJ Yates...AJ... Every player...

Harvin being injury prone is a myth...he's an NFL player, never 100% healthy...

As for the Texans trading for him? I'm not all for that...
They don't complain about being nicked up nor do they pull themselves out of games.
Old 06-20-2012   #58
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My comments were along the lines that somebody who smokes WEED for migraines most likely smoked WEED before they had migraines and will still smoke WEED after migraines are gone or subside.
Ha, maybe you should have made your comments about it more along those lines, because they weren't! Your original comment/analogy was no where in the ball park of the comments quoted above...no where.. (EDIT: actually, reading it again, i can see where you would be going down that line...was just kind of incomplete i guess..)

And i do agree that it's possible he's just a smoker period... And it's a huge risk paying for a player you know for sure can get popped, whether you agree with what that player is doing and why or not...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

There could be a legal alternative for situations like Harvin's available in the future.

Quote:
Cannabis without the high will smoke out nauseating medical marijuana activists

Michael A. DeVine
Atlanta Law & Politics Examiner

The death knell of the medical marijuana movement?

Seriously, how many pairs of Birkenstocks will be worn out walking the streets to legalize pot that ONLY relieves the nausea of the seriously ill, but doesn't get you high?

Israeli scientists, rather than attempting to cultivate coconut oil that won't make you fat or New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's food Nazi blood boil, have instead invented "cannabis without the high":
Quote:
Israeli scientists have cultivated a cannabis plant that doesn't get people stoned in a development that may help those smoking marijuana for medical purposes, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

According to the Maariv daily, the new cannabis looks, smells and even tastes the same, but does not induce any of the feelings normally associated with smoking marijuana that are brought on by the substance THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol.

"It has the same scent, shape and taste as the original plant -- it's all the same -- but the numbing sensation that users are accustomed to has disappeared," said Tzahi Klein, head of development at Tikkun Olam, the firm that developed the species.

"Many of our patients who tried the new plant come back to us and say: 'You tricked me,'" because they assumed they had been given a placebo, he said.

According to Maariv, Tikkun Olam sought to neutralise the effect of the THC and to increase the effect of another substance called CBD, or cannabidiol, which has been shown to help diabetics and to ease various psychiatric disorders.

Not only does it leave users stone-cold sober, it also doesn't induce the munchies, the hunger pangs that the drug's smokers generally suffer.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
There could be a legal alternative for situations like Harvin's available in the future.
Discussion for another day or another forum but isn't that basically an admission pot has useful properties and the only reason it is being regulated is because people also receive pleasure?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read