Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2005   #1
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default hodgdon

ive been watching the o-line pretty close and hodgdon is playing pretty well. hes doesnt seem to blow anybody off the line but he always seems to get his body between the defender and the runner while run blocking. he created quite a few holes.

and i only noticed once or twice when he got pushed back into the qb.(carr had to get rid of it early once). but he didnt allow a sack.

pretty good for a 5th round rookie. if he can get a little stronger maybe he can be our long term center.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's doing OK for right now, but the fact is, he doesnt have the physical size needed for a long term NFL center.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #3
mike230765
Rookie

what is the physical size for an NFL center?
mike230765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
He's doing OK for right now, but the fact is, he doesnt have the physical size needed for a long term NFL center.
You have any facts to back that up? Indy--Jeff Saturday, 6'2", 295 lbs, Jags--Brad Meester, 6' 3", 300 lbs, Titans--Justin Hartwig, 6' 4", 314 lbs, San Diego--Nick Hardwick, 6' 4", 295 lbs, Pittsburh, Jeff Hartings, 6' 3", 299 lbs. That's just the first 5 I pulled up and only one is significantly bigger than Hodg at 6' 3" 296 lbs. I would expect Hodg to add some weight with maturity and time in the weight program as well.
Old 10-31-2005   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

All I have to say is if he does turn out to be our long term starting center, it would just be awesome. It's probably a long shot, but I would be more than pleased.
Old 10-31-2005   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't say I have watched every play he has done, but the ones I have watched he has mostly done pretty well. Perfect...heck no, but for a 5th round rookie...pretty darn good. As Cak said, he will mature, gain strength (his main issue IMO) and experience and I suspect he will be an "OK" center maybe even better than "OK" in three years. Only time will tell.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Centers are usually a little smaller than Guards since they need to be more flexible and have to have a bit more quickness setting their feet.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
All I have to say is if he does turn out to be our long term starting center, it would just be awesome. It's probably a long shot, but I would be more than pleased.
Somebody else started a thread on this website about how many offensive lineman who are successful starters in the NFL are selected in the later rounds. The premier OL position, tackle and especially left tackle, has a lot of players coming out of the first round, but that position seems to be in a class by itself amoung the OL position. Hodgdon is a little on the short size: he's listed at 6'3" but my guess not more than 6'2", but he's a big man to be sure -very barrell-chested and stockily and in the 300 lb vicinity. He's appears to be much quicker than McKinney and therefor might be more of a natural center since centers are uncovered more often than guards. He's doing very well for a rookie who is starting his first few games and we can be hopful that he's part of the long-term solution for our OL.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think D-Hog stays at center when Wiegert returns. McKinney stays at LG (i know, I know), and Milford is the odd man out. That opinion is subject to change after watching how Drew fares against Stroud & Henderson.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read